Edited on 04/11/2014 at 8:49:21 AM PST

bfgWendwater
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,911 Posts

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Dark Dimensions: Somber Song here

[Post New]by bfgWendwater on Apr 11, 14 10:56 AM
Hello Everyone,

Welcome to the reviews thread! Please feel free to post your thoughts and feedback on Dark Dimensions: Somber Song here. We appreciate the time you take to put your reviews together, and I know other gamers and the developers do as well. We just have a few guidelines to keep in mind when posting. Our goal with these is to keep the thread tidy, easy to navigate and helpful.

Review Guidelines

1) Be sure to keep your reviews on-topic. Reviews in this thread should only be commenting on Dark Dimensions: Somber Song.
2) Be respectful of the reviewers. Please keep in mind our Forum Rules and be respectful of our reviewers. They take the time to post here to be helpful. Please do not review the reviews of others.
3) Do not respond to someone else’s reviews with questions or comments If you have any feedback about a review, or you feel that a review contains incorrect details about the game, please contact the poster directly via PM.
4) Do not review developers. While we do appreciate your feedback, we’d ask that you keep your posts in this thread dedicated to the specific game at hand.

*Moderators will be removing any content in this thread that is not a review.

If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to PM one of our Moderators.

bfgWendwater

steve_san
Clownfish
Clownfish
586 Posts

[Post New]by steve_san on Apr 11, 14 1:25 PM

Somber Is Not The Same Old Song

Setting: After a recent tragedy, a fire at a music school where several children were killed, a young girl who was the lone survivor comes running to you to help her escape the dark cloud pursuing her.

What stands out in this game is the hidden object scenes. They are cleverly done in a manner where you progressively find one object and perform an action in order to reveal another. While we have seen these before, the ones in this game are particularly well done - you actually must think to complete them. The same cannot be said for the puzzles which are far easier and require little thought.

The drawing is nicely done depicting a not-so-small town in the winter season. And it takes place in modern times (the fire is said to have occurred in 2011). Nevertheless, the artists could not resist drawing some ancient looking keys (sigh). However, the keys do turn without an extra click, so that is a plus. Another nice touch is (semi-spoiler alert, highlight to read):
the cat you find under your car you later see on a bulletin board posted as a Lost Kitty, named "Mr. Snuggles". Cute.

I hate to nitpick (or do I?), but during the demo, the teacher's name is spelled both as "Mayer" and "Mayers" in various places. A little quality control please.

The CE version has collectible sheets of music, or rather fragments of sheets. These require several clicks to collect, which becomes a little annoying after the first few. They are not really hidden either so not much of a challenge to find.

I found the demo interesting to play all the way to the end, mostly due to the hidden object scenes, although I hope the rest of the game is not just following around after a black cloud of smoke. That was starting to get old.

Definitely a game that can get you "fired up."

roaming
Clownfish
Clownfish
644 Posts

[Post New]by roaming on Apr 12, 14 12:55 AM
Intricate, complex play in a very slow-moving game. I would never have made it through the demo without the help of the the interactive map and the hint button, which is actually a piano. There's quite a bit of foreshadowing to convey some kind of nefarious goings-on either before, during or after the fire. However, the teases were not enough to overcome the boredom. Like steve_san, I would hope the rest of the game is not just following around after a black cloud of smoke.

Every HOG during the demo was the progressive type, and that also started to get old, particularly as it was never quite clear what the next step should be. I thought it made the HOGs more tedious than fun. Better to have a mix of types instead of the same kind over and over again.

The puzzles are simple other than all the going back and forth to collect the various parts -- tiles and so forth -- needed to complete them. Even I could finish most of them.

There is no option to customize the level of difficulty or the length of hint and skip refills -- a definite negative for me since I don't like puzzles and want to skip them as quickly as possible.

I didn't find anything in this game to make it stand out from the rest. A tragic story, missing piano keys, magnet drops, fish net retrievals, glass shards, distract the cat, etc. etc. etc. At least you don't have to repair the ladder!

Get it on sale.

LadyJane50
Guppy
Guppy
183 Posts

[Post New]by LadyJane50 on Apr 13, 14 8:05 AM
This game was so-so for me. Storyline was okay, but nothing special. The graphics were very nicely done - fine attention to detail, falling snow, bright colors. Music, also, was quite good.

The HOS got tedious for me. I had to pick up one item to find the next and then use the second item to find the third item and so on. Found that I used the Hint button more frequently on these than I usually do when playing as they got boring after awhile.

The Hint button was a big plus. If I got stuck or wasn't sure what to do next, the Hint button didn't let me down. A big, big plus for me.

The ending was bad. It annoys me when I spend hours on a game, get to the end, and don't get a decent ending. It seems like this ending would have smoothly led to the Bonus Content if I had purchased the Collector's Edition. However, if I wanted to purchase the CE I would have and am irritated that the developers felt that the SE buyers weren't entitled to a good ending.

For me, this game just didn't do it as it had more negatives than positives.

sn665
Seahorse
Seahorse
26 Posts

[Post New]by sn665 on Apr 15, 14 10:46 PM
Just finished this game. I thought it was terrific. Beautiful scenes, good story, great game play. Never got bored or lost interest. Totally recommend it!

[Post New]by gram_orboys on Apr 27, 14 10:42 PM
I just finished this and really enjoyed the play. Yes, the games were on the easy side, but the HOGS made up for them. I must confess on more than a few the hint button was used to get me going on a HOG.
The map was nice but I only needed it a few times - surprise! Not having to run all over the map was great. This game went by sections.
I really enjoyed the "surprises" the makers put in with with statues and sculptors here and there - what fun!
The ending totally sideswiped me - did not see that coming.
This was for me a relaxing game to play, and I do get stressed easy. Enjoy!

[Post New]by iwanabelvdabyu on May 26, 14 10:45 PM
bfgWendwater wrote:Hello Everyone,

Welcome to the reviews thread! Please feel free to post your thoughts and feedback on Dark Dimensions: Somber Song here. We appreciate the time you take to put your reviews together, and I know other gamers and the developers do as well. We just have a few guidelines to keep in mind when posting. Our goal with these is to keep the thread tidy, easy to navigate and helpful.

Review Guidelines

1) Be sure to keep your reviews on-topic. Reviews in this thread should only be commenting on Dark Dimensions: Somber Song.
2) Be respectful of the reviewers. Please keep in mind our <a href="http://forums.bigfishgames.com/faqs/list.page">Forum Rules</a> and be respectful of our reviewers. They take the time to post here to be helpful. Please do not review the reviews of others.
3) Do not respond to someone else’s reviews with questions or comments If you have any feedback about a review, or you feel that a review contains incorrect details about the game, please contact the poster directly via PM.
4) Do not review developers. While we do appreciate your feedback, we’d ask that you keep your posts in this thread dedicated to the specific game at hand.

*Moderators will be removing any content in this thread that is not a review.

If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to PM one of our Moderators.

bfgWendwater

[Post New]by iwanabelvdabyu on May 26, 14 10:47 PM
Thought it was a great game. Challenging,had to think to play this one. Got stuck a couple of times,but that's the kind I like

bessiegirl
Clownfish
Clownfish
738 Posts

[Post New]by bessiegirl on Jun 4, 14 1:07 PM
I FINALLY finished this game! I must have stopped and started it a dozen times. This is a very odd game. I've been playing these games for a long time and this one was a definate challenge.

HOS were totally interactive and if you didn't find and pick-up the right item to get the ball rolling, you could drive yourself nuts. Had to use the hint on these quite a bit which made the game frustrating. Mini games sometimes didn't even make sense and the "info" wasn't enough sometimes to give you enough info to even make the game work. Glad both the hint and skip were somewhat quick to refresh.

Transporter map was really good...when it worked...if you got to the point it didn't work anymore you had to use the hint to move around and the movement pointer set right on top of the inventory bar which was cumbersome and it was hard to find the place that allowed you to move from the scene...very frustrating.

Inventory filled up to the point that it was also very cumbersome and you had to have an outrageous memory to even remember where everything went.

Very odd and frustrating game and even on the casual setting was a challenge to figure out. Story was OK, but the ending came quickly and abrupt...which, after struggling through the game was as much of a let down as it was a relief.

Annimations and graphics were great and voice-overs were OK. A lot of unanswered questions and some of the plot didn't make a great deal of sense. One of those games that if you had the patience you would probably have to play over again just to "get it". My rating is only a 2+ out of 5.

Go to: