Please post your REVIEWS for Cadenza: Music, Betrayal and Death Collector's Edition here

[Post New]by pondprowler on Apr 12, 14 12:33 AM
A thread for your reviews!

Edited on 04/12/2014 at 8:48:24 AM PST

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Cadenza: Music, Betrayal and Death Collector's Edition here

[Post New]by JustTheFacts on Apr 12, 14 1:01 AM
Outstanding! Original! Outta Sight!*****

BASED ON DEMO

FIRST IMPRESSIONS
Even if you don’t like jazz, you’ll love it here. This game brings the entire world of jazz to life. An exciting, tight and self-explanatory intro sets the scene, and then here we are, a jazz club in New Orleans at Mardi Gras time. And before we even get out of the cab, the first of many innovations becomes apparent. Can you spot the difference?

SIGHTS & SOUNDS
The graphics are beautifully done, crisp and colourful, and drawn with real talent. There is plenty here to just look at. Maybe a little Picasso? The cut scenes are exceptional, with remarkably good facial movements of the characters, who are lip synced perfectly. The voices also sound authentic. The accents are just right. The music and singing fit the era. There are the sounds of preparations for the carnival in the background – great stuff like that. I think it is just marvellous.

WHAT’S HAPPENING?
We are heading home to visit our Dad at his jazz club in New Orleans, just in time for Mari Gras, 1941. But when we finally gain entry to the club, everyone in it is in some kind of trance, including our father! Did the guy who bumped into us in the hall have something to do with... whatever this is? We will need to find out a lot we never knew about our father to get to the bottom of this mystery.

GAMEPLAY
There is the expected mix of HOPs, puzzles and adventure in this game, although movement inside the game world is a little restricted at first. The puzzles tend towards visual ones, a misplaced objects diorama for instance, and various jigsaw-styled ones with new twists. There are the usual inclusions: a notebook for notes, objectives and achievements. A game timer. The hint is directional and the map is an interactive jump map, but so far, there's not much travel involved. Extra actions or combinations are sometimes needed within the inventory. There are four levels of difficulty, with the option to customize all the settings.

The really big departure from the norm, though, are the HOPs. There is one standard word list, but the scene is that Picasso I mentioned, which certainly makes it "artistic". *grin* Another is a matching pairs game that is totally unlike any other. And then there’s this game's new, totally original, HOP style. I won’t say much, or I’ll spoil the thrill of discovery, but it involves words, pix, and even a morphing object, all of which merely hide the true objects of your search.

CE BLING!
As I’ve implied, there are both collectibles and achievements in this game. The collectibles in the game locations are music notes, and an indicator tells you whether you have already found it in a location, or not. Likewise, the morphing object in the HOPs has an indicator that changes when it is found - and they're hard to find. These indicators cannot be switched off, as far as I could find. There are about a dozen achievements, interesting ones. You can also unlock HOP games as you go. And there is a game to get the music note collectibles you missed in the game.

As for the rest, we can expect the usual. Bonus chapter. SG. Wallpapers, concept art, screensaver, music and videos.

COMBINED IMPACT
This game is outstanding. Original, involving and with top flight production values. I can’t wait to play and the full game is downloading as we speak!

I recommend this game!

Edited on 04/12/2014 at 5:30:31 AM PST

Rose151
Clownfish
Clownfish
520 Posts

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Cadenza: Music, Betrayal and Death Collector's Edition here

[Post New]by Rose151 on Apr 12, 14 1:11 AM
JustTheFacts wrote:Outstanding! Original! Outta Sight!*****

BASED ON DEMO

FIRST IMPRESSIONS
Even if you don’t like jazz, you’ll love it here. This game brings the entire world of jazz to life. An exciting, tight and self-explanatory intro sets the scene, and then here we are, a jazz club in New Orleans at Mardi Gras time. And before we even get out of the cab, the first of many innovations becomes apparent. Can you spot the difference?

SIGHTS & SOUNDS
The graphics are beautifully done, crisp and colourful, and drawn with real talent. There is plenty here to just look at. Maybe a little Picasso? The cut scenes are exceptional, with remarkably good facial movements of the characters, who are lip synced perfectly. The voices also sound authentic. The accents are just right. The music and singing fit the era. There are the sounds of preparations for the carnival in the background – great stuff like that. I think it is just marvellous.

WHAT’S HAPPENING?
We are heading home to visit our Dad at his jazz club in New Orleans, just in time for Mari Gras, 1941. But when we finally gain entry to the club, everyone in it is in some kind of trance, including our father! Did the guy who bumped into us in the hall have something to do with... whatever this is? We will need to find out a lot we never knew about our father to get to the bottom of this mystery.

GAMEPLAY
There is the expected mix of HOPs, puzzles and adventure in this game, although movement inside the game world is a little restricted at first. The puzzles tend towards visual ones, a misplaced objects diorama for instance, and various jigsaw-styled ones with new twists. There are the usual inclusions: a notebook for notes, objectives and achievements. A game timer. The hint is directional and the map is an interactive jump map, but so far, there's not much travel involved. Extra actions or combinations are sometimes needed within the inventory. There are four levels of difficulty, with the option to customize all the settings.

The really big departure from the norm, though, are the HOPs. There is one standard word list, but the scene is that Picasso I mentioned, which certainly makes it "artistic". *grin* Another is a matching pairs game that is totally unlike any other. And then there’s this game's new, totally original, HOP style. I won’t say much, or I’ll spoil the thrill of discovery, but it involves words, pix, and even a morphing object, all of which merely hide the true objects of your search.

CE BLING!
As I’ve implied, there are both collectibles and achievements in this game. The collectibles in the game locations are music notes, and an indicator tells you whether you have already found it in a location, or not. Likewise, the morphing object in the HOPs has an indicator that changes when it is found - and they're hard to find. These indicators cannot be switched off, as far as I could find. There are about a dozen achievements, represented by postage stamps in the notebook.

As for the rest, we can expect the usual. Bonus chapter. SG. Wallpapers, concept art, screensaver, music and videos.

COMBINED IMPACT
This game is outstanding. Original, involving and with top flight production values. I can’t wait to play and the full game is downloading as we speak!

I recommend this game!

Rose151
Clownfish
Clownfish
520 Posts

[Post New]by Rose151 on Apr 12, 14 1:12 AM
I agree! This game is like being in a candy store where all the colors and tastes are completely new!

Nilosh
Clownfish
Clownfish
590 Posts

[Post New]by Nilosh on Apr 12, 14 1:55 AM
“Oh it’s good to be back in New Orleans” is what our young heroine says in the opening scene and how I share in her excitement as soon as I hear the glorious sounds of New Orleans Jazz streaming from my computer. A spectacular game plays before me in Cadenza: Music, Betrayal and Death and after having completed the demo, I realize that this game will definitely rank amongst the top favorite for 2014.

Our story starts in New Orleans where sounds of betrayal and revenge become evident as a mystery begins to unfold under my fingertips. Upon return from School to my childhood home to visit my Father at his Jazz Pepper Club, I am confronted with a horrific scene where all the guests are turned into zombie-like creatures, frozen and seemingly dead, including my father, Samuel ‘Papa’ Stirling, club owner and former band member of the Dixie Peppers. Evidence leads me into the darker side of New Orleans where the undead is seeking revenge and it is up to me to solve this tantalizing mystery.

I was totally blown away by the graphics, artwork and animations. I find myself enthralled with the music as I am a huge fan of Jazz from New Orleans. Excellent voice-overs with special effects tell me that the Developers have really raised the bar with this game. I loved the attention to details like seeing a car pass down the road as I survey the entrance of the club. Did I mention the music? I loved that song sang by Adele and the assortment of jazz tunes played throughout the game. How I have missed New Orleans and how exciting it is to feel its seductive energy within the game.

A very well composed HOPA game with excellent puzzles to solve, innovative and challenging Hidden Object scenes that require interactions with items and really cool mini-games, all combined to creating not only an entertaining gaming experience, but also challenging, not to mention having that WOW factor that we all look forward to.

Extra contents are plenty including customized settings for difficulty. There are collectables, morphing objects within HO scenes and trophies to earn. The game is a tapestry of colors, sights and sounds along with excellent game mechanics and tools that include a journal, jump map and a music repair room where you need to assemble instruments. I could go on and on describing this game, but I am confident that after having played the demo, many will agree that this game is special, and because of the visuals and sounds, it does stand out as being a top rated game. Sale or no Sale, I am off to purchase and play it at my leisure tonight. See you all in New Orleans, the land of Jazz, Exotic love and Black Magic.

Edited on 04/12/2014 at 2:00:26 AM PST

LovetoMissLisa
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,823 Posts

[Post New]by LovetoMissLisa on Apr 12, 14 2:21 AM
I Love this Game! Absolutely stunning and magical with the best music! Top of the line voice acting and animations. I highly recommend this Winner!

I'll leave all the details up to Other's...who do a great job(Thank you ) with all of them. Great job to the Developers and Thanks for this great game !

This is a must try forsure...but a buy for me! Enjoy!

I rate this game: "FINE SWINE"

My "Terms" for Hogs,IHogs,Frogs & Other types of games.

DEVINE FINE SWINE:
The absolute best of the best! It has everything you want in a game and things you didn’t know you wanted in a game. It is a rare beauty and a must have! Beyond expectations! I really love it!

FINE SWINE:
Great game. Bells and whistles, best, greatest, I love it.

PIGLET:
Good game. I like it! Hog,Frog,Ihog. For true lover's of these types of games.

PORK BELLY:
Likable game for some, but not for everyone. But this one is for me.

TROTTER:
Pig's foot, don't run away with buying it. lol

PIG DOWN:
Rolling in the mudd, don't go near it or you'll get soiled.
‘ ‘
(o)

lovely62
Clownfish
Clownfish
731 Posts

[Post New]by lovely62 on Apr 12, 14 2:54 AM
i played the game 30 minutes or less i knew this was a buy the graphics was awesome and the sounds of jazz was completely off the chain..DEV's you all our did yourselves on this game You made this fishy in the pond a happy camper this morning..
Thank you for all your hard work and time you spent on this beautiful game.. much love to BIGFISH.. 5 's
Happy gaming..

indybarb
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
13 Posts

[Post New]by indybarb on Apr 12, 14 5:07 AM
Great reviews, thanks... Is it available for MAC ?

gryhndlvr
Guppy
Guppy
156 Posts

[Post New]by gryhndlvr on Apr 12, 14 5:25 AM
Bought this game without trying. I had to have it knowing it was a Mad Head Game, I just love this team.
Game is excellent so far. The HOS are different and morphs are well hidden.
The Cutscenes are superb, and face movements are very real.
Of course it has the usual collectables and such.
Good map also. Even if you don't like jazz music here it does not get on your nerves. It kind of blends in well. The sounds of the street etc. are so well done, well, all the sounds in this game are truly well done here.
The imagination of this game is excellent and draws you right in.
Even if you go to the " extras " there is plenty to do.

It is the extra mile that these developers go that keeps me coming back and hoping for more games from them. Five stars, no doubt

Graphics are very clear and colorful and the story really drew me into the game.
This was definitely a must buy for me.

[Post New]by NancySusan on Apr 12, 14 7:03 AM
There are so many great things about this game, that two of the really big drawbacks don't exactly fade into insignificance, but aren't quite enough for me not to buy the game. Let me first say that I lived just outside of New Orleans briefly when I was a little girl, and the architecture of New Orleans is absolutely wonderful and mostly lacking in this game which is really sad, I mean really sad. No French Quarter, no authenticity at all. And it's so easy to find and duplicate. Second, and yay, cheers, a story starring a young black woman, with a real accent, how great, but New Orleans in 1941 was deeply racist, it was racist when I lived in the area years later. That would affect her ease of movement, but she's obviously a resourceful woman, so let that pass. Also police tape and ziplock bags did. not. exist. Also, the cars moving around, otherwise a wonderful touch, are mostly from the 1920's and 1930's. But the clothes and hair looked fairly authentic. Also, this is not true widescreen -- there's a slight stretched look on my 23" monitor. Ok, that all said, really fun HOP's, interesting mini-games, wonderful music, an interesting story, great color saturation, and virtually everything else good already said by justthefacts, Nilosh, etc. Definitely a buy for me after slightly more than 30 mins. of play, even if I have to wince at the lack of black wrought iron anywhere, and the constant presence of heavy, brickwork and hills in the distance. But the music and the story, at least so far, win.

Edited on 05/07/2014 at 5:29:03 AM PST

bfgWendwater
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,911 Posts

[Post New]by bfgWendwater on Apr 12, 14 8:47 AM
Hello Everyone,

Welcome to the reviews thread! Please feel free to post your thoughts and feedback on Cadenza: Music, Betrayal and Death Collector's Edition here. We appreciate the time you take to put your reviews together, and I know other gamers and the developers do as well. We just have a few guidelines to keep in mind when posting. Our goal with these is to keep the thread tidy, easy to navigate and helpful.

Review Guidelines

1) Be sure to keep your reviews on-topic. Reviews in this thread should only be commenting on Cadenza: Music, Betrayal and Death Collector's Edition.
2) Be respectful of the reviewers. Please keep in mind our Forum Rules and be respectful of our reviewers. They take the time to post here to be helpful. Please do not review the reviews of others.
3) Do not respond to someone else’s reviews with questions or comments If you have any feedback about a review, or you feel that a review contains incorrect details about the game, please contact the poster directly via PM.
4) Do not review developers. While we do appreciate your feedback, we’d ask that you keep your posts in this thread dedicated to the specific game at hand.

*Moderators will be removing any content in this thread that is not a review.

If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to PM one of our Moderators.

bfgWendwater

BossBrat
Minnow
Minnow
285 Posts

[Post New]by BossBrat on Apr 12, 14 9:00 AM
Did the beta on this game a while back and I have mixed feelings about it. There have been detailed reviews about this already, so I'll just write down the things I noted as I did the beta. The voice-overs were okay, nothing exceptional. The background music was jazz and I loved it! There are 5 settings to choose from, one of which is CUSTOM. I had no problems or glitches with the part I played. The hub of the game is set at the Jazz Pepper Club in New Orleans, LA. My final comment was this: BORING. TOO MUCH TALK.

I am glad that some of you find this game so wonderful. That's what the developers and BF aim for. Guess I'm in the minority here, but that's fine. There are times I buy games that a lot of people don't like. ENJOY YOUR GAME

[Post New]by daisyduck352 on Apr 12, 14 9:47 AM
Love the game.. I did Beta on this game and was waiting for it to come out so I could buy it. New Orleans always does something to me, love the Jazz and storyline is a great one too. Graphics are good and Characters sure are fun to be around.. Has map, hints and lots of great enjoyment.. Give this 5 out of 5 stars..

dancemom1
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,198 Posts

[Post New]by dancemom1 on Apr 12, 14 10:25 AM
Hi all. I love the Mardi Gras theme of this game. The graphics are extremely well done, with excellent animation. Game play was perfect, no problems at all. Colors are very bright (some a bit on the red side). Voice overs are appropriate for time and place, as are the costumes. The music was nice, I didn't even turn it down. Sound FX are extremely well done and give you that "edge of your seat" feeling. There is a jump map, but you don't really use it that much. The sites, sounds and voice overs fit the characters very well.

SG is the usual and is clear and helpful if you need it. The hint system is quite helpful as well, so I didn't use the SG much at all. It seemed that the hint recharge took a little longer than usual. HOPs are exceptionally well done, clear and items not difficult to find, but you do have to look in, around and under things to get them. This set up is very different and was quite fun. I liked how you had to find morphing objects within the HOP. They aren't difficult to find, but you do have to pay attention. I liked them so much that I didn't even try the match game.

There are a lot of achievements, as usual. The collectibles, besides the morphing objects in the HOPS, are musical notes. They are not as easy to see as you may think, but can be found. I like that they show you if you have found the note or not, because I frequently get so caught up in a game that I forget to look for the collectible. Same thing with the morphing objects.

The only thing I didn't care for was the location of the map, journal and hint button. They are way too close together. That said, I believe this game will appeal to all levels of players. I was drawn into this game fairly quickly and have the need to play it out, so off to buy.

As always, try it for yourself and see what you think. We all have different tastes in games and you may not care for this one at all. Thanks for the reviews.

angelfish106
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,378 Posts

[Post New]by angelfish106 on Apr 12, 14 10:53 AM
Having read the glowing reviews, I was looking forward to an exceptional game that I would be purchasing immediately. Unfortunately I must have played a different game, as I agree with Bossbrat; too much yap and the game was just boring. I'm starting to think that all HOPA's are now so much alike that the whole genre has become stale.

I have to admit to absolutely hating jazz music, so that probably didn't help (although had the game been exceptional I would have lived with the music). The graphics were good, can't comment about the voices as I wouldn't know what the accents are meant to sound like, the HOS were different so that was good, don't remember any puzzles but I must have played some, the gameplay itself was the usual type for this genre of game and I found collectibles in the form of music notes. But sorry to say this game did absolutely nothing for me. Maybe I'll have better luck with the new 'Surface' game.

jazzl2010
Squid
Squid
60 Posts

[Post New]by jazzl2010 on Apr 12, 14 11:29 AM
BEST EVER !!!!!..could just listen to the music by itself...outstanding game..

Penguin29
Herring
Herring
363 Posts

[Post New]by Penguin29 on Apr 12, 14 11:45 AM
Just plain FANTASTIC AND FABULOUS!....Love this game. Did not want to stop playing.

sunnyglow
Clownfish
Clownfish
804 Posts

[Post New]by sunnyglow on Apr 12, 14 11:54 AM
Bonjour y'all! Hey baby - Where y'at? Welcome to Basin Street in "The Big Easy" (New Orleans) of late 1930´s You are the owner's daughter of a "speakeasy" featuring entertainment in the form of a jazz and the blues combo. You are returning home to visit your papa. Once you are able to enter the" juice joint" you realize that everyone is in a zombie-like trance. As you enter, you literally run into a sax player scurrying away. (Geesh, is it me or does this remind you of a scene from "American Horror Story - The Coven" - ya think? If that follows than I guess next year's games will deal with side show freaks? That should be interesting) Where is a mambo when you need one? Looks like a boo coo of voodoo or hoodoo going on here. Or could there be something more sinister at work? And who is "Frankie" and why does he want to 'bump off" your father? "Mon cherie" better arm herself with a protection spell on this one!

"Merci beaucoup" to our devs, the Mad Hatter (we need some type of nickname to cover the Mad Head). What an absolutely fabulous game! This is a mystery game which is innovative and a nice amalgamation of the features of a HOPA and an adventure game. An absorbing storyline will keep you actively involved in this case. You have your very own taxi cab to transport you from site-to-site to gather clues as to what is happening. And guess what? You get to customize your game!!! Hurrah! There are also three other levels of play. The first HOP scene I encountered gave individual items for you to either locate or place into the setting. Once uncovered, you found a musical note and you need to find a series of these to disclose the inventory item. These scenes are definitely not boring! There is no need for another puzzle to replace it. Most of the inventory is interactive. I encountered a few puzzles and found them relatively easy. The collectibles are notes and they are not easy to find. And for the "muzac!" The "lagniappe" in this game is the music. You definitely do NOT want to turn off the "muzac" on this game. I am not a great lover of jazz, but with the setting, the "blues" creates a nice atmosphere for the game. The graphics are stunning.

What can I say? Nothing more than this is ONE OF THE BEST we have had in some time. "F'sure " this is a "must have" game. I give this game 7 stars out of 5 stars (okay so I exaggerate)! It will be a purchase for me. Now, I just need time to play it!

Edited on 04/12/2014 at 12:41:00 PM PST

shripch
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,952 Posts

[Post New]by shripch on Apr 12, 14 3:24 PM
This is just such a wonderful game. Everything about it is a class act. And the music! Usually I turn it off, but not this time. The voice overs are so spot on, it's amazing. I had one question about the "collectibles", but that was answered in another forum, so it's all perfect. Perfect. Perfect.

(I just started a serious diet, so the one thing I will miss in this game is a good wine to go along with the ambiance! Oh well, can't have everything )

PS And the HOS! Just unbelievable! So delightfully varied and different. I'm moving sloooow with game to make it last.

Edited on 04/16/2014 at 2:07:26 PM PST

jennsmom
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,207 Posts

[Post New]by jennsmom on Apr 12, 14 5:39 PM
I'm loving this game. I don't have one complaint so far -- well, I did, about the morphing objects until it dawned on me what the music note/swirl meant in the lower left corner. The music is terrific. I love the artwork, and the only voice I've found odd, was Luna. Not sure what that accent was supposed to be...but I like everything else so much, it doesn't matter. How great to have a change in HO scenes! I just made myself stop playing (just went to the Mardi Gras street to find it empty), because otherwise, I'd be playing until the end. That doesn't happen very often. This one is a winner!

Go to: