bfgFlounder
12,864 Posts

Tales of the Orient: The Rising Sun

[Post New]by bfgFlounder on Apr 15, 14 12:29 AM
Travel to the Edo period in Japan and help Satsu and Miyamoto in an epic adventure to preserve ancient Japan. Prove your skills in Challenge mode with limited moves. Experience the excitement of building an ancient Japanese village in this engaging Match 3 game. See the beautiful scenery while listening to relaxing music inspired by this period in Japanese history. Dive into an epic story of honor and courage and help a Geisha and a Samurai save the day in Tales of the Orient: The Rising Sun!

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

Re:Tales of the Orient: The Rising Sun

[Post New]by Valdy on Apr 15, 14 12:48 AM
'ello Flounder...

As the title reveals, this is a M3 game with a Japanese theme.

There is widescreen - all the way, and not just a pretend one you often get with these games, where the playing field is full screen with coloured and patterned borders.

There is also a choice of a custom and system cursor.

There are 2 gameplay modes: Relaxed and Challenge.
You can change the modes anytime during gameplay.

In Relaxed mode you play with unlimited moves.

In Challenge mode you have to master the levels by completing them with limited moves.

You have to build a village. Collect coins with which to buy material.

There are 3 Match modes to choose from: Swap, Pop, and Chain.

The tiles have beautiful graphics and images. And the sounds aren't bad either.

You will also get power-ups (4 in all), and there is a "Shuffle" at the top right-hand side.

At the top left and right of the board you see a leaf with a bend arrow. Click on either one to move the board clockwise or anti-clockwise. When you get stuck - and I got stuck right there on the second level - being able to change the position of the tiles will help enormously.

--- --- ---

I don't like every M3 game, but I have 2 or 3 I really enjoy playing. This one will be added to my collection of M3 games.

goldendog08
Guppy
Guppy
193 Posts

[Post New]by goldendog08 on Apr 15, 14 8:01 AM
This could have been named Dreams of a Geisha 2 also. Same developers and pretty much same graphics and gameplay but this time with the city building components of 7 Wonders, Imperial Island, Farmscapes, and others. The rotating board ads a very nice change to the same old match 3 mechanics. Throw in timed or relaxed, all three choices of match 3 style, and we have one of the games match 3 aficianados look forward to. Well done game and worth your time to demo/buy (or use one of those credits from last weekend's sale!)

Penny1942
Clownfish
Clownfish
554 Posts

[Post New]by Penny1942 on Apr 15, 14 9:15 AM
This is a whole step up for the Developers that brought us Hero's of the Past: Joan of Arc. Graphics remained sharp even on my 27" monitor, new innovations on the boards, i.e. the ability to turn to fill blank tiles, tiles are large and clear enough to see what you are trying to match without a magnifying glass, still get the bonus items even in the relaxed mode. Good work guys.

BearKat
Stingray
Stingray
4,860 Posts

[Post New]by BearKat on Apr 16, 14 12:49 AM
snipped.....

There is widescreen - all the way, and not just a pretend one you often get with these games, where the playing field is full screen with coloured and patterned borders.

I was happy to see this also, Valdy! Great review btw

I enjoyed playing Dreams of a Geisha so much that I even bought it for my iPad!
However, it would have been even better, if it had not had the decorative borders on the sides!

With the full screens and added game play, not to mention the sale, this was an instant buy for me.
BK

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Apr 16, 14 1:47 AM
Hi BearKat...

How weird that I should have forgotten about "Dreams of a Geisha", when I actually own the game. Just shows you that I own far too many games. Just reinstalled it. Thanks for the reminder.

ETA: I just had a go at "Dreams of a Geisha" and remembered why I didn't keep it on my GM: I didn't like that I start out in Swap mode, but have to use the other modes when I reach the other towers. I only like Swap mode, and don't play M3 games that use other modes. So there is that.

I also like this one much more because I can build a village, and you can't do that with the other game. Anyway, a huge improvement all round with this game.

Edited on 04/16/2014 at 3:30:10 AM PST

mikul
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
10 Posts

[Post New]by mikul on Apr 30, 14 5:05 PM
Excellent Match 3 game.
Rather than using timed mode for difficulty, the game limits the number of moves. You can turn the game board to have pieces fall where you want. There is shuffle, game bonuses, and, every time you complete a building, you get extra moves. All this means that you can control the difficulty. Play without shuffle, for instance. It's all up to you.

FeyKina
Minnow
Minnow
222 Posts

[Post New]by FeyKina on May 7, 14 7:54 PM
I agree this is a great M3! But I have a problem with the powerups, they go off as soon as they are over the board, am I missing something?

Go to: