A thread for your reviews!

Edited on 04/15/2014 at 8:33:56 AM PST

Nilosh
Clownfish
Clownfish
590 Posts

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Tales of the Orient: The Rising Sun here

[Post New]by Nilosh on Apr 15, 14 1:51 AM
I practice daily meditation and find that it helps to rid my mind and body of unnecessary stress and helps me to focus better during the day. I find that at times a Match 3 game is also a good way to meditate. After everyone has retired, if I am too tired to retreat into a good HOPA game, I will elect to unload my brain and what better way than to zone out with a great Match 3 game.

What I do look for in a Match 3 game is simplicity, swap challenge and soothing zen music in the background. I do also enjoy the occasional building or planting or decorating which is why Fishdom series are amongst my favorite. In tales of the Orient: The Rising Sun you have most of these elements, plus option to play timed or relax mode, three types of M3 games, swap, chain or pop challenges, all put together with clear graphics and soothing music in the background. Albeit artwork could have been a bit better as tokens are somewhat small and animations are blurry, but at least I was able to differentiate tiles and tokens.

Our storyline is simple, your quest takes you to the Edo period in Japan where your quest is to help Satsu and Miyamoto rebuild and preserve ancient Japan. You have the option to play in Challenge mode with limited moves or Relax mode where there is no pressure. Each level has goals which involve purchasing a group of buildings with coins collected and there are a set of tasks to achieve in order to progress. Once the Task bar is filled, you move toward the next board. If you opt to play the Challenge Mode, there is limited number of moves for every board and if you are unable to clear all the tokens, you can get a power-up bonus that allows for 5 extra moves. Also you can rotate the board with arrows to avoid empty tiles and make the best matches which makes for a more challenging game that requires a bit of strategic thinking on your part.

This game is not exactly a game I would choose to zone out with because it does require some concentration on your part. As you progress, the boards do get more challenging and bonus power-ups become very useful. I enjoyed the demo but to be honest, I have played better and I don’t think that hard core players of M3 games will find this game overtly challenging. This really wasn’t a game that I would rush out to buy but nevertheless, I do recommend that if you are a lover of M3 games try the demo and decide for yourself. The music is relaxing, game-play is easy to comprehend and there are no bombs or flashing lights or lasers to distract you. I am a bit on the fence on this and will probably use a credit or buy it at a very good sale price. Nothing really special here!

bfgVaiya
Salmon
Salmon
2,557 Posts

[Post New]by bfgVaiya on Apr 15, 14 8:32 AM
Hello Everyone,

Welcome to the reviews thread! Please feel free to post your thoughts and feedback on Tales of the Orient: The Rising Sun here. We appreciate the time you take to put your reviews together, and I know other gamers and the developers do as well. We just have a few guidelines to keep in mind when posting. Our goal with these is to keep the thread tidy, easy to navigate and helpful.

Review Guidelines

1) Be sure to keep your reviews on-topic. Reviews in this thread should only be commenting on Tales of the Orient: The Rising Sun.
2) Be respectful of the reviewers. Please keep in mind our Forum Rules and be respectful of our reviewers. They take the time to post here to be helpful. Please do not review the reviews of others.
3) Do not respond to someone else’s reviews with questions or comments If you have any feedback about a review, or you feel that a review contains incorrect details about the game, please contact the poster directly via PM.
4) Do not review developers. While we do appreciate your feedback, we’d ask that you keep your posts in this thread dedicated to the specific game at hand.

*Moderators will be removing any content in this thread that is not a review.

If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to PM one of our Moderators.

bfgVaiya

[Post New]by ElizabethR1533 on Apr 15, 14 10:12 AM
This is not my usual type of game, but I thought I'd give it a go, as it looked a bit different.
I didn't really like it. I couldn't get off the first level before I got bored! I didn't realise, at first, that in order to get rid of the gold squares, you have to surround them with swaps. But if one swap is missing (ie a symbol next to it) is missing - you CANNOT win. So if you make one "mistake", so the symbol next to it (usually for me, at the top right or left) was gone, you were finished. End of. No way out.
I don't know if this was my inexperience (which I suspect was part of it), or if this game is just annoying, because once I realised this, I STILL couldn't finish.....okay, I could have gone into relax mode, but I couldn't be bothered, I could have played the level again (for the 5th time), but I couldn't be bothered.

I'm not playing a game where the instructions/game play is so hard I can't get off the first level after 4 tries.

I am sure more experienced players will have more luck, but not for me. I just got irritated.

minesita
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,975 Posts

[Post New]by minesita on Apr 15, 14 11:59 AM
Hi ,

I'm too not familiar with this kind of game !!!

But I tried this, (I love Japanese themes), and to my surprise I enjoyed all the demo. Especially the soothing music !

Regarding the free or empty gold tile, if you use the arrows is not more empty (I mean is filling with some symbol) and I could continue the game.

I was in a process to build the geisha temple when my demo expired !

I'll wait until Monday to use a coupon, and buy it!!!

Still I need to learn how to use the power-ups, I guess I didn't play very good.

I recommend this game to people as me who don't know M3 games! At least to try it in relaxed mode, later on I'll try the other mode (if I master all the options and different ways to play it). Also, thanks BF with the nice sale !

Enjoy it ,
M.

wyebank
Lobster
Lobster
86 Posts

[Post New]by wyebank on Apr 15, 14 1:23 PM
I love match 3 games and I thought this one was excellent. Soothing music, village to build and really colourful. To fill empty tile just use arrows to turn game board. I will be buying this game.

debby369
Seahorse
Seahorse
24 Posts

Review for Tales of the Orient: The Rising Sun

[Post New]by debby369 on Apr 15, 14 1:33 PM
I have a video review of the game here
[Removed by Moderator]
Hope it helps!

Edited on 04/16/2014 at 12:51:48 PM PST

Kamali
Guppy
Guppy
173 Posts

[Post New]by Kamali on Apr 18, 14 12:28 PM
I enjoyed the demo so much I bought the game. I have just completed it, and want to say that there were no technical problems of any sort, and I enjoyed the game very much.

The additional option of being able to turn the board left or right so the empty squares fill up made the game very playable for me - it means you never reach the point here you can't finish a screen.

Also, having an untimed mode as well as a time mode is exactly what is needed in match three games.

All in all, it was money well spent.

nelliebj
Guppy
Guppy
109 Posts

[Post New]by nelliebj on Apr 19, 14 5:52 PM
I really like the game. I think it's because there are different ways of playing (chain, swap or group) and you can rotate the board. That and build a town. Love doing that though it is pretty mindless. I have had a couple of little tech problems...freezing board and not clearing items even if there are three together but it's not a biggie.

I bought the game after playing about 30 minutes of the demo because it's a fun game that doesn't require a lot of concentration on my part. You can play timed or untimed, which I love.

SavemeJack
Guppy
Guppy
166 Posts

[Post New]by SavemeJack on Apr 29, 14 7:23 PM
BASED ON DEMO ONLY

This is such a coincidence. I just pulled up "Heroes from the Past: Joan of Arc" and was playing it for the last few days. It truly is one of my favorite Match-3 games, and Tales of the Orient: The Rising Sun is made by the same people.

The best part about these two games is how smoothly and quickly the tiles fall, how you can make matches while tiles are falling, and the sound the tiles make - a little tinkling sound. The boards are as perfect as the game play. I admit I am an M3 addict and have many of these games, but none play as smoothly as these two do.

I was not fond of the music that much, so turned that down in the options. I always play the relaxed mode as I'm a zen-kinda person. The graphics are exactly like Joan of Arc - in fact the girl looks just like Joan only with slanted eyes! lol. The only difference here is the ability to turn the game board to make moves you couldn't make otherwise. This adds a bit of interest to the game play, but does not totally overwhelm. I found that you could play a whole board without turning about as many times as you were forced to turn the board. So it is not constantly something you have to do. Tiles are clear once you get used to what the pictures are. Instructions - well, I didn't look for any. Sorry. But if there are instructions, they may be in the tutorial, or lacking in detail as so many M3's are. But we M3 addicts are used to the lack of instructions, aren't we???

For me, this is a definite buy, using a full credit to do so. I am so pleased to see this game today, so pleased that BF has a great M3 for a change. An unusual experience one must take advantage of immediately. You never know, they may run out of copies of this game!

I know all my M3 addicts will feel the same way. You know who you are, so you best better ante up the bucks and get this game before they run out! Enjoy, my friends.

Go to: