tookat
Flounder
Flounder
2,099 Posts

Things that didn't exist in 1955

[Post New]by tookat on Apr 20, 14 12:05 AM
lol......lol lol
I guess you don't have to pass History to get a job in either computer programming, art, game designing and whatever else is necessary to be in game development.

It's ok as far as I'm concerned.....these folks do a great job, and maybe they even put in the mistakes on purpose to keep us on our toes.

But, the
Sydney Opera House was built in 1964
John F Kennedy was not elected President of the USA until 1960
The Natural History Museum in New York doesn't look like either the exterior shown or the interior.......but it also did not exist as shown in certain movies either.

What other anomalies are there on your toes Fishies?

roberta3
Seahorse
Seahorse
25 Posts

Re:Things that didn't exist in 1955

[Post New]by roberta3 on Apr 20, 14 6:40 PM
Perhaps this is an alternate NYC. To my knowledge, there are no secret subways and underground cities in our time line. Green goo attacking bad guys also not a common place thing. Maybe the developers were influenced by Thomas Halperin's "A Winters Tale".

tookat
Flounder
Flounder
2,099 Posts

[Post New]by tookat on Apr 20, 14 8:32 PM
I can go with an alternate universe.....most games take place in them anyway.

Dudesmum
Guppy
Guppy
110 Posts

[Post New]by Dudesmum on Apr 21, 14 10:15 PM
tookat wrote:I can go with an alternate universe.....most games take place in them anyway.

I live in an alternate Universe Maybe this Secret Order of the Blah Blah can time travel?? Most of the time I don't notice these things, however that's not to say I don't understand how some can feel passionate about this anomalies... Me I'm just enjoying the game so far... I love how I've scuba dived but my red lipstick hasn't run, I love my large boobs But that guys checked suit has to go...

tookat
Flounder
Flounder
2,099 Posts

[Post New]by tookat on Apr 22, 14 12:14 AM
Or.....I love how I never have to go to sleep.

but even in an alternate Universe, I might complain about having to wear the same clothes for several days of hard running around....
and given some of the grubby places, they really must have Teflon coated fabric....
but they need to invent chameleon fabric so you can at least change the color of it.

FORTUNATUS
Clownfish
Clownfish
883 Posts

[Post New]by FORTUNATUS on Apr 22, 14 12:36 AM
Dudesmum wrote:
tookat wrote:I can go with an alternate universe.....most games take place in them anyway.

I live in an alternate Universe Maybe this Secret Order of the Blah Blah can time travel?? Most of the time I don't notice these things, however that's not to say I don't understand how some can feel passionate about this anomalies... Me I'm just enjoying the game so far... I love how I've scuba dived but my red lipstick hasn't run, I love my large boobs But that guys checked suit has to go...

OMgosh.... too funny... made me LOL

Hmm, well, as far as "things that didn't exist in 1955": I noticed but otherwise overlooked the push button phone; subway technology specifics that certainly didn't exist; OSHA pictogram safety signs... and also the main character's fashion style is not 'period' appropriate [more 1930/40's meets 1970's] and her haircut, while sort of Marilyn Monroe-ish, it is really more 1980's in the way it's styled... as well as already mentioned in other forums [flag design; presidents mini game w/ a book re: "President Kennedy", lol; flashlight battery].

I could go on, but personally, I am really enjoying this game!!!! Despite the faux pas in some of these regards and graphics, it is one of the BEST GAMES I've played from BFG in as long as I can remember, so....

I hope this 'alternate universe' [or should we say, altered universe] doesn't end too quickly! Have fun everyone.

tookat
Flounder
Flounder
2,099 Posts

[Post New]by tookat on Apr 22, 14 3:24 AM
oh, I agree Fortunatus,
this is a great game......and the anomalies....
I don't mind them...just think they are funny.

This game has had me more mesmerized than any other one in many ways.....and I am kind of sorry that I have reached the bonus game already.

[Post New]by angelofmusic62 on Apr 22, 14 1:55 PM
Actually there are a lot of abandoned parts of the NYC subway system. Many more lines than those which exist today were planned. Some stations and tunnels were built, but later stopped due to lack of funds. There is the abandoned station used by President Franklin Roosevelt to get him to the Waldorf Astoria via armored car so that the people did not see his physical deterioration from polio. There is also a beautiful City Hall station that is no longer used because the track there has a very sharp curve which will not allow most longer subway trains to navigate. Miles of tracks and many closed stations abound in the New York City underground. Now there's a game idea, "Lost in underground New York City!"

tookat
Flounder
Flounder
2,099 Posts

[Post New]by tookat on Apr 24, 14 4:01 AM
ah.....I just finished the game and bonus game and ....well, to heck with anomalies, to heck with my own thread.....

because this was one great game......and I am going to look forward to more in this series.

Thanks Dev for something so good.....and so different from most games.

FORTUNATUS
Clownfish
Clownfish
883 Posts

[Post New]by FORTUNATUS on Apr 26, 14 11:54 AM
tookat wrote:ah.....I just finished the game and bonus game and ....well, to heck with anomalies, to heck with my own thread.....

because this was one great game......and I am going to look forward to more in this series.

Thanks Dev for something so good.....and so different from most games.

SO agree... this is what gaming is all about! You lose track of time, disappointed when it ends and optimistic for the next one with hopes it will follow through!

WilJul
Stingray
Stingray
5,670 Posts

[Post New]by WilJul on Apr 26, 14 9:14 PM
Haven't looked up their history….but did wonder when playing….did pizza delivery with cardboard boxes exist back then? Obviously, not a major plot point, but just something that made me go "hmmm" whilst playing.

ChocPeng
Herring
Herring
346 Posts

[Post New]by ChocPeng on May 10, 14 3:00 PM

Please keep in mind that you are playing a computer game with cartoon-like people in a world where ties and small replicas of the Statue of Liberty are strewn about everywhere you go.

I always marvel at people who expect literal interpretations and a close adherence to historical elements in a game where one has to suspend disbelief just to start a game.

I recommend you folks enjoy the game play and stop trying to find rational thought and realism in a computer game where inanimate objects often talk and green slimy ghosts come out of water, slide under doorways and kidnap people.

Edited on 05/10/2014 at 3:02:32 PM PST

underwriter
Herring
Herring
356 Posts

[Post New]by underwriter on May 16, 14 1:53 PM
I just noticed the Sydney Opera House because (a) I am an opera-classical music freak and (b) I was lucky enough to see Joan Sutherland right around 1964 which put Australia, so to speak, on my personal map. But, yes, everything everyone has said is right on. Do you think the dev's realize how many of us who actually play these games are old enough to remember these things? I have not nearly finished but am enjoying it immensely too.

[Post New]by SherlockGirls on May 18, 14 2:34 PM
Thank you all for your discoveries and your comments. I haven't played the game yet, but I'm a stickler for accuracy, and errors drive me up the wall. In fact, anachronisms can spoil the game for me, so it helps to know ahead; now I can decide whether to try it or just skip it.

I really wish BF would spend some of the money we give them and hire a proofreader.

Go to: