[Post New]by pondprowler on Apr 20, 14 12:34 AM
A thread for your reviews!

Edited on 04/20/2014 at 8:54:33 AM PST

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Final Cut: Homage here

[Post New]by JustTheFacts on Apr 20, 14 12:41 AM
Final Cut Is The Deepest!*****

BASED ON COMPLETED GAME

FIRST IMPRESSIONS
Definitely the best yet of the Final Cut series, this game has a new twist that has it playing inside the world of another game. There’s also a new ever-present bad guy, reminiscent of “Dorian Grey Syndrome”. The mansion has changed yet again, this time we see it during the holiday season. (What’s with this Xmas obsession recently, developers? Yeah, I know it was Xmas just a little while ago, but that normally doesn't affect subject matter.)

SIGHTS & SOUNDS
The opening scenes are in sepia, movie quality graphics. Not my cup of tea, but they add authenticity to the game’s atmosphere of the art deco era, which has been faithfully portrayed in both the other Final Cut games as well. Someone on the team must be a real fan! The graphics in the locations are as superb as you could want them to be. The integrated people are always a buzz. The HOPs are crystal clear, with large well lit objects. I love the cursor.

The music is annoying. It is a ‘revving up’ tune, which is fine, but it just goes on and on. The voiceovers are good, but seem a little bit off. But I’m quibbling. A great touch is the ominous voice of our bad guy coming to us while we are doing an HOP! Creepy! Early on, there is a lot of monologue diatribes by the bad guy. Perhaps too much for some, but it didn’t bother me.

WHAT’S HAPPENING?
We meet with a journalist who says he is convinced there is a serial killer on the loose who is staging his murders like scenes from our father’s greatest movies. I really love this story. What a great idea! Anyway, before we can get really into it, a package arrives for us that is from the killer, and we are “invited” to return to our mansion and prevent another murder.

It is our old gardener Frank who’s in danger, and where we find him is astonishing! We are on the deck of the ship from Dear Old Dad’s favourite movie “Sea Of Lies”! Brilliant! And don’t forget the humour and artistic talent doesn’t end with the game – check out the credits! (Although, Eipix, please slow them down, I have trouble reading that fast!)

I was disappointed that we didn’t do any more of the developer’s games from other series, but we did find ourselves on sets related to those we saw in the previous Final Cut games. Those of you who have not played the first two games of this series may well want to play them first, because it really does make it easier to appreciate the story and to better enjoy the joke.

GAMEPLAY
Varied HOP styles along with new and sometimes challenging puzzles keeps your attention in this game. There is every conceivable combination of HOPs, including interactive word lists, silhouettes, and HOPs within another, nested in much the same way as the game stories are. Plus matched pairs, multiples of, and ones I can’t give a name to. There is also a fun Match-3 alternative.

The puzzles vary from ludicrously easy to "SOS where’s the walkthrough?" One puzzle I particularly love is a 3D maze. Really cleverly done and fun to play. I’ve been spoiled by having played every Eipix game, so I am used to their imaginative flair, but they manage to astonish me yet again with the variety of ways to progress through this game.

Getting around is tricky because the signature feature of this game is the film projector which alters our perceptions of reality. So a given place may swap between two interpretations by the flip of a switch, and you must achieve your goals by travelling between them. There is a directional hint, but if you are in the wrong “view”, you will have to refill it. There is also an interactive jump map which is unusual in the way it displays the various locations, but again does not allow you to jump between views. The journal has objectives and a diary.

There is one thing that could be better. The loading between locations is a bit slow. For the first time in ages, I saw a black screen between.

COMBINED IMPACT
Wonderful! I was not a big fan of the first Final Cut, but I could see its quality and artistic merit. This game, though, is five stars all the way for me. It is entertaining and beautiful from start to finish, and I just loved wondering what was coming around the next imaginative corner!

NB: For an in-depth analysis of the CE’s bonus content, check out my review in the CE thread.
I recommend this game!

Nilosh
Clownfish
Clownfish
590 Posts

[Post New]by Nilosh on Apr 20, 14 1:39 AM
Good Morning to all,

Today I will keep this short, sweet and simple; if you haven’t played the Collector's Edition or purchased it, take advantage of today's Easter sale because this game is better with the extras. I also recommend that you check out the other games in the series of Final Cut as you will be revisiting some scenes from them. As it is HOMAGE to the Father and his previous works, some scenes and characters are featured.

Hidden Expedition: Smithsonian: The Hope Diamond is by far one of my favorite games and now one of my favorite developers has returned with the continuation of the Final Cut storyline. Once again your family is in peril, this time from a twisted serial killer who calls himself “The Director” and is now targeting people connected to your Father, the famous film director, Morton Wolf. After a string of murders over the past six months, a reporter called Michael Harris contacts you with a mission, reveal the identity of the madman who is on a killing spree and stop him before he comes after you. “The Director” has a mission, to pay homage to your father by creating a magnum opus that involves staging each murder to look like one of your father’s films. Your father’s projector appears again as a game-play feature, allowing you to switch between real-life scenes and the Director’s movie sets as the fun begins in this brilliant Hidden Object, Puzzle Adventure game.

You still have the exciting game play filled with great HO scenes and really entertaining mini-games. There is the optional M3 games instead as an alternative for the Hidden object scenes but no collectables or souvenir rooms or trophies to be had. I think the CE was well balanced and not over-produced also I enjoyed the Bonus game immensely. So if I had a choice, I personally would choose the Collector's version over the SE.

However if you are in the mood to play a straight no nonsense HOPA game without all the frills, then this game will also excite you.

bfgVaiya
Salmon
Salmon
2,557 Posts

[Post New]by bfgVaiya on Apr 20, 14 8:54 AM
Hello Everyone,

Welcome to the reviews thread! Please feel free to post your thoughts and feedback on Final Cut: Homage here. We appreciate the time you take to put your reviews together, and I know other gamers and the developers do as well. We just have a few guidelines to keep in mind when posting. Our goal with these is to keep the thread tidy, easy to navigate and helpful.

Review Guidelines

1) Be sure to keep your reviews on-topic. Reviews in this thread should only be commenting on Final Cut: Homage.
2) Be respectful of the reviewers. Please keep in mind our Forum Rules and be respectful of our reviewers. They take the time to post here to be helpful. Please do not review the reviews of others.
3) Do not respond to someone else’s reviews with questions or comments If you have any feedback about a review, or you feel that a review contains incorrect details about the game, please contact the poster directly via PM.
4) Do not review developers. While we do appreciate your feedback, we’d ask that you keep your posts in this thread dedicated to the specific game at hand.

*Moderators will be removing any content in this thread that is not a review.

If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to PM one of our Moderators.

bfgVaiya

debby369
Seahorse
Seahorse
24 Posts

VIDEO REVIEW for Final Cut: Homage

[Post New]by debby369 on Apr 21, 14 7:14 AM

Edited on 04/22/2014 at 1:29:45 PM PST

dollyflower
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,373 Posts

[Post New]by dollyflower on May 10, 14 9:42 AM
I love this game. The Art Deco artwork is so enjoyable. That is primarily why I have played all three games in the series. That is a great change from castles and spookiness (which I love, too). Thanks to the developers!

roaming
Clownfish
Clownfish
644 Posts

[Post New]by roaming on May 22, 14 7:45 PM
Isn't it fun to wander around in two different worlds needing a part for some contraption, but first you have to play several HOS and mini-games that will help you find something to use on something else to put together another thing that you need in order to open something and voila! There, inside that drawer/ box/ cupboard is the very part you need to finish putting together said contraption? And somehow your character knew all along exactly where the thing was, and where to go and what to do so that after 57 minutes of wandering around doing stuff, she'd find what she needed to rescue the poor family gardener?

NOT REALLY!! Especially if the process is so convoluted and weird that you're thankful for the option to shorten the hint refill time, because you have no idea where to go or what to do next without it, and the map is no help at all?

I thought the first two in this series were fun, but this one's a real disappointment. Looks like I'll have to find another game to spend my credit on.

qpr1
Clownfish
Clownfish
733 Posts

[Post New]by qpr1 on Jun 11, 14 6:57 AM
too much dialogue for me, the mans voice was irritating, music was awful

layzeedaisy
Minnow
Minnow
221 Posts

[Post New]by layzeedaisy on Jul 27, 14 2:15 AM
One of the best series around and I hope there are more.

Good story, good game play, good voiceovers, good scenes to switch back and forth with the projector.

Only downside (for me alone I suspect) are the real actors. I am so NOT a fan of real actors in any story by any of the devs. Their posing and grimacing are so false as to be laughable. Why bother.

Go to: