nuttynuts
Seahorse
Seahorse
22 Posts

any tips for beginners?

[Post New]by nuttynuts on Apr 20, 14 3:11 AM
I am at level 18 and I am enjoying this game a lot. But I don't want to spend real money - maybe just once under $4 but not more. I want to ask more advanced players:

What is the best way to get lots of energy? I keep buying food from the store but then I don't have enough money remaining for the updates

What is the best way to use collections sets? I kept exchanging completed sets to level up, but then I realized I need these for various quests. So which collectible items should I hold on to and when can I /or should I exchange them when I need something?

I find myself needing a lot of glass shards, blueprints, tool kits, sewing sets etc for the quests. Is there a cheap way to get a lot of these? It looks like the only way is to play the HOGs (they are too expensive at the store), but to get plenty you need to play a lot, and for this you need a lot of energy. Anyone know a better way to get this stuff?

Any other tips and hints for beginners?

Luckypool
Clownfish
Clownfish
607 Posts

Re:any tips for beginners?

[Post New]by Luckypool on Apr 20, 14 4:19 AM
I ignored the Auctions/Collections to begin with as I felt overwhelmed with what I already had to do. But once you've become accustomed to quests, and what you have to do, then I realised that the Auction was pivotal to making money by selling your collection(s). I wouldn't worry too much about not being able to finish the odd quest because you can't get that freaking leafy dress (I've got two, and need three - aghhhhhhh!).
Make sure you upgrade the big house as much as you can, this seems to release quests. Also upgrade your rabbit with better attire now and again.
Sometimes you just have to plod away at the mini-games to make money for sandwiches. Check your inventory for special stuff like 30% extra earned experience for 30 minutes, that sort of thing - really does help.

The Yura Festival is when you realise you should have kept hold of certain collections, but it's all good fun and it's free so I'm rather grateful to Big Fish et al for providing such a lovely immersing, enriching, calming game - wonderful!

ekstra2000
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,357 Posts

[Post New]by ekstra2000 on Apr 20, 14 5:55 AM
Best tip that was ever put on this forum...and you may not be that far yet. As soon as Gavin (the Gnome) asks you to upgrade or open the fungus house, start playing Tri-Peaks. Play at the first level only unless you have a quest requiring a higher level. Get to the Grand Master level (takes about 50 games, I think). Then start buying fungus tiles for play rather than looking for them. Two tiles cost 600 coins. At the grand master level in the first game, you will get 1290 coins back (more than double your investment) and 540 experience points. So, two games, 1000 experience points. Dependent on your level of play, you can level up over and over by doing nothing but playing in the fungus hut. (Of course, you have to be really tolerant of boredom, but it's a truly useful strategy.) After each level up, explore as far as you can. You can plow the profits from the minigame back into more fungus tiles, but you can also buy the sandwiches for energy.
If you are having issues with any of the games, you'll find more info here on the forum. (Most folks only seem to have issues with Fahleed's...there is an entire thread on this.)

luvmigame
Minnow
Minnow
251 Posts

[Post New]by luvmigame on Apr 20, 14 10:24 AM
Couldn't agree more ekstra2000. That game wasn't available until the last update. Has made leveling up a great deal easier. Since I have a gazillion bolgins because I was trying to get to level 50, think I'll go now and clean out the store.

katseye
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
11 Posts

[Post New]by katseye on Apr 21, 14 1:42 PM
get one of the special items, like the ones that increase coin by 25% for all money earned. then play a mini game. i played only the first level in fahleeds, because that only uses 2 needle and thread. i had 257 needle and threads, went from 4 grand in gold to 25 grand in 30 mins.

chi1d
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
19 Posts

[Post New]by chi1d on Apr 22, 14 9:36 PM
I'm with you. I was willing to spend just a bit of money and I believe I figured out the best way to do it. I think I bought about $8 worth of coins which was enough to get me to the level of grand master in the fungi card game.

It's sort of a simple mindless solitaire that essentially doubles your coins every time you play (once you are at grand master level) It also gives you a nice chunk of stars that help you level up regularly (the game will refill your energy level to full each time you level up, plus add some to your total.)

Before I did this, I was quite frustrated by how long it took my energy to refill. I was only able to play for a few minutes at a time. Now I can play as long as I want (granted some of my time playing is mindless repetitive solitaire, but what the hell, I sometimes spend a couple hours playing freecell anyway, and that doesn't even have gnomes. ;-)

Edited on 04/22/2014 at 9:37:35 PM PST

jaredbmccomb
Minnow
Minnow
213 Posts

[Post New]by jaredbmccomb on Apr 22, 14 10:24 PM
Save your crystals! There's a limited number of them available to free players because you can't level up past a certain amount.

If you are an achievement hunter or a completionist, crystals should be spent on pet accessories first since there is no other way to get all of them. Then on special consumables (coin boosts, etc.) to get that achievement.

If you don't care about achievements, save them for the velvet fungus soup. If they put up a food sale again, it's only 75 crystals for it - quite a bargain since it both fills up your energy and boosts the max by a whopping 100!

As for collections - there are some lists on the forum for what the Yura's Festival takes. But you can also buy things off the auction house if you are desperate, or with crystals if you're really really desperate (here's a hint: you're not that desperate). Besides that, the most common complaint seems to be about pink moonflowers.

One other little thing: there's a quest to decorate the castle "for the upcoming festival". It's rather pricey to do it. But, you don't have to do it to make the festival happen, so don't worry about it.

Finally: don't be afraid to call it quits when you run out of energy! (This one's really just my opinion, but maybe some people will agree.) Sometimes just playing for a little while each day is better. Like your favorite snack - just a little bit every day is wonderful, but if you eat too much you might get sick of it for a while. I don't use food items very often because I like to savor the game. (Though, I did use them for Yura's Festival quests because of the timer...)

Edited on 04/22/2014 at 10:25:14 PM PST

bfgWendwater
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,911 Posts

[Post New]by bfgWendwater on Apr 23, 14 3:38 PM
Great tips everyone! The information you have provided will definitely help newer players like nuttynuts get a better grasp on the game.

Keep up the good work!

bfgWendwater

nuttynuts
Seahorse
Seahorse
22 Posts

[Post New]by nuttynuts on Apr 24, 14 1:58 PM
Yes absolutely! Great tips... thanks everyone... solitaire is working for me...

just one question though katseye: how in the heck did you end up having 257 needle and threads? The most I got was like 10... Did I miss something? (I'm at level 25 now)

NoFishToday
Salmon
Salmon
2,712 Posts

[Post New]by NoFishToday on Apr 24, 14 6:43 PM
There are two collections that will give you ten "needle and thread" when you cash them in. As you play your maps, your collection will fill with items. Once you have the complete collection, you can cash it in for "your reward". One is the plushie set, I believe. Can't recall the other. Just keep checking your collections, and cash them in "strategically" for cash, stars, and items. You will soon learn which fill up fastest, and all contain at least one "hard to get" item.

Go to: