Racist restriction?

GeorgeTSLC
Manatee
Manatee
3,919 Posts

Racist restriction?

[Post New]by GeorgeTSLC on Apr 20, 14 4:39 AM
In the Reviews for Archie: Riverdale Rescue thread,
Guest999999 wrote:I've been wondering for sometime now why I can't get just ANY two characters into relationships. (I just noticed from another commenter about certain characters only being able to match with certain others.) How short-sighted of the developers!
I want to be the one deciding who pairs with whom. If I want to make Moose gay, then that should be my choice. If I want inter-ethnic relationships, then I should be able to pair Midge and Chuck or Midge and Nancy. I don't need racist developers forcing me to pair Chuck and Nancy.
I've no idea where Guest would have seen this--I've been reading virtually every word posted in this forum, and I'm sure that would have impacted my consciousness!

Nor does a search find any such comment in this forum.

But that aside, is it true? Not the bit about Moose going bi--it's indeed established that the "core" characters are all str8--but about the racist barrier.

Edited on 04/20/2014 at 4:39:54 AM PST

Demiguise
Guppy
Guppy
162 Posts

Re:Racist restriction?

[Post New]by Demiguise on Apr 20, 14 5:14 AM
I have Dilton and Nancy paired up as a couple, so no, the game doesn't "force" you to stick to the pairings from the comics. I think I've heard others say that they were able to pair Nancy with Ginger.

I'm looking for someone to pair with Kevin right now, and I'm thinking Jason. That leaves Chuck out, but there'll be other characters opening up, in time.

My gripe was that you can't form any sort of relationship with the adults. I would have liked to have paired the Bee with Grundy, or a friendship between Pop and Jughead. Coach Clayton won't even recognize his own son, which is a bit ridiculous.

GeorgeTSLC
Manatee
Manatee
3,919 Posts

[Post New]by GeorgeTSLC on Apr 20, 14 6:05 AM
Now, now, Demiguise, as most coaches will tell you, a man shouldn't be a friend to his son, he should be a father.

Or isn't that the party line any more?

Edited on 04/28/2014 at 10:37:07 AM PST

GeorgeTSLC
Manatee
Manatee
3,919 Posts

Re: Racist restriction?

[Post New]by GeorgeTSLC on Apr 20, 14 6:10 AM
Seriously, Guest99..., I can live w/o the complications. We don't want Terry "Pop" Tate and Ethel Muggs working together on a 24-hr Upgrade and turning up 24% toward being a Couple!

Of course they could make adult/teen relationships all Friends, just like Kevin and the girls ...

Edited on 04/28/2014 at 10:36:51 AM PST

Demiguise
Guppy
Guppy
162 Posts

[Post New]by Demiguise on Apr 20, 14 6:37 AM
GeorgeTSLC wrote:Seriously, I can live w/o the complications. We don't want Terry "Pop" Tate and Ethel Muggs working together on a 24-hr Upgrade and turning up 24% toward being a Couple!

Of course they could make adult/teen relationships all Friends, just like Kevin and the girls ...

Well, no... I agree that would be a bit too weird. But I do wish they had the ability to form friendships, as you said, like Kevin and the girls. And it shouldn't be too difficult to allow adults to form couples, either. I'd imagine (not being a computer programmer) similar triggers could be put in place, like what Kevin and Ginger have for forming friendships or couples.

Cisdaman
Minnow
Minnow
241 Posts

[Post New]by Cisdaman on Apr 20, 14 7:49 AM
Demiguise wrote:I have Dilton and Nancy paired up as a couple, so no, the game doesn't "force" you to stick to the pairings from the comics. I think I've heard others say that they were able to pair Nancy with Ginger.

Yeah, I have Nancy and Ginger as a couple so I agree that the game doesn't force you to stick to the traditional pairings.

DivaDoodle
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,119 Posts

[Post New]by DivaDoodle on Apr 20, 14 8:05 AM
I think Gogii said Jason can be with any boy who is not in the main group, so not Archie, Jug, Dilton or Moose--so that leaves the other boys later on in the game that he can be with if you didn't want to buy other chars. Kevin does couple with Jason as I had in my first game.

I read that review also and Guest is mistaken totally about the 'racist' point and partially about the gay/bi statement. I have had Nancy with Jug, Dilton, and Ginger. And Midge can go with Ginger too, as well as Moose Archie and Reggie, haven't tried Chuck.

In my current game I don't have any bought chars (except Runty) and the relationship achievements seems broken and subtracts on the couple achievement list if I break up a couple to make a new couple so I just need to wait to open up new chars.

I am really disappointed that the adults can't make friends with anyone or couples with each other. Gogii is aware that players want this and said that might be avail in future updates.

Demiguise
Guppy
Guppy
162 Posts

[Post New]by Demiguise on Apr 20, 14 8:10 AM
DivaDoodle wrote:I am really disappointed that the adults can't make friends with anyone or couples with each other. Gogii is aware that players want this and said that might be avail in future updates.

That would be awesome. It's nice to know that Gogii is at least listening to what players have to say.

[Post New]by flameglimmer on Apr 20, 14 12:23 PM
I have the Jason/Kevin pairing in my game and it's a little weird because

[spoiler]
in one of Kevin's quests, he is running for student union president and Jason attempts to convince Reggie to use the fact that Kevin is gay against him in the debate. And it was like what the heck, dude? That's your boyfriend! Also if Reggie says you're being a jerk then you really know you're a jerk.
[/spoiler]

GeorgeTSLC
Manatee
Manatee
3,919 Posts

[Post New]by GeorgeTSLC on Apr 20, 14 2:03 PM
Yeah, and I know what my Reggie and Kevin tried on that sleepover that cured Reggie's bicuriosity.

Should have posted earlier: Flameglimmer, your line about Reggie is gloriously true!

Edited on 04/28/2014 at 10:39:05 AM PST

GalaxieBleu
Minnow
Minnow
200 Posts

[Post New]by GalaxieBleu on Apr 20, 14 4:05 PM
I just think some people, like Guest, are just looking to stir up drama and create issues where there are none. If you are always looking for it to be racist, sexist, homophobic, or [insert your own topical buzz word controversial issue] whatever then you just can't see when it isn't really there at all. That is all I have to say about the matter.

DivaDoodle
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,119 Posts

[Post New]by DivaDoodle on Apr 20, 14 4:28 PM
Flameglimmer ty for the spoiler. I love spoilers!

wow, Jason is really icky. at first he bugged me because he was in a serious relationship with Kevin but the comic part of quests was having him all gaga over Veronica. I was thinking ewe ok so he's a bi-philanderer wannabe. now this!

George I thought Reggie was considered in the main group, I guess not from your experience with Regggie/Kevin.

DivaDoodle
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,119 Posts

[Post New]by DivaDoodle on Apr 20, 14 4:33 PM
GalaxieBleu wrote:I just think some people, like Guest, are just looking to stir up drama and create issues where there are none. If you are always looking for it to be racist, sexist, homophobic, or [insert your own topical buzz word controversial issue] whatever then you just can't see when it isn't really there at all. That is all I have to say about the matter.

spot on George.

GalaxieBleu
Minnow
Minnow
200 Posts

[Post New]by GalaxieBleu on Apr 20, 14 4:48 PM
GeorgeTSLC wrote:Yeah, and I know what my Reggie and Kevin tried on that sleepover that cured Reggie's bicuriosity.

Maybe Kevin snores. LOL.

Edited on 04/20/2014 at 4:49:04 PM PST

GeorgeTSLC
Manatee
Manatee
3,919 Posts

[Post New]by GeorgeTSLC on Apr 20, 14 6:29 PM
That's "Spot on, GB", not me.

And the Kevin/Reggie business was all in my head, to justify them becoming BFFs but not a Couple.

DivaDoodle
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,119 Posts

[Post New]by DivaDoodle on Apr 20, 14 9:23 PM
Oh i was thinking GalaxieBleu but my hand typed George. too much Easter I guess.

GeorgeTSLC
Manatee
Manatee
3,919 Posts

[Post New]by GeorgeTSLC on Apr 21, 14 9:54 AM
Guest999999 wrote:Really, George, you're speaking for everyone now? Perhaps some of us WOULD like to pair Pop and Ethel or Grundy and Archie. Seems there are always folks with conservative values that think everything must happen as THEY imagine they should.
By "we" in this case I probably meant something like "most of us writing in this forum" or "the developers of this game and its expectable players"--a vague usage common enough to be understood by most people--NOT "everybody reading this forum, including those willing to seize on any point in order to flame".

And while I don't think that everything must happen as I imagine, I do think that in our current society, it would be considered dark and edgy to permit the game's portraying an adult male's time w/ a teenage girl as leading to romance. From the graphics alone, this is clearly not intended as an edgy game. Nor do I imagine the developers as eager to endure the flaming they'd get for such a decision.

I do commend them for going thru w/ allowing gay/**** pairings--even if I do regret them not allowing us to make Reggie bi, given he was metrosexual before the word was invented!

After: Can you believe the auto-editor thinks that les-bian is a bad word that has to be asterisked out--with only 4 stars, suggesting a 4-letter word!

LONG after: Not that there isn't at least one 4-letter word for the concept w/ which one has to be careful about context ...

Edited on 04/28/2014 at 10:41:41 AM PST

[Post New]by flameglimmer on Apr 21, 14 10:13 AM
Given that the adults in the game are teachers or parents of the teenagers - with the exception of a guy who wants to be called 'Pop' - it would not go over well with the majority of people if they could date.

I would like the adults to at least be able to have friendships with each other. What sad, emotionless lives they live.

GeorgeTSLC
Manatee
Manatee
3,919 Posts

[Post New]by GeorgeTSLC on Apr 21, 14 10:18 AM
flameglimmer wrote:I would like the adults to at least be able to have friendships with each other. What sad, emotionless lives they live.
I think that we'd all be happier if we looked at this restriction as the stereotype of how hormone-washed highschoolers* look at adults: As incapable of love, with friendships that aren't nearly as important as the intense relationship dramas they (the teenagers) go through.

In other words: You see tragedy, I'd rather see satire.
------------------------------------
* (MUCH later Or even more so, unsophisticated tweens who I suppose are some significant part of the comics' audience.

Edited on 05/24/2014 at 5:49:12 AM PST

GeorgeTSLC
Manatee
Manatee
3,919 Posts

[Post New]by GeorgeTSLC on Apr 21, 14 10:24 AM
Guest999999 wrote:The comments aren't for other gamers, they're for the developers.
VERY IMPORTANT

If you want the developers to see your opinions, you need to write to them directly, or at second best to post in the Reviews or Technical thread of the forum. Indications have been that those are regularly shared w/ the developers, while nothing else is.

End of overemphasis, which I normally contemn.

Edited on 04/21/2014 at 10:24:59 AM PST

Go to: