What happened to all the reviewers?

[Post New]by baglady159 on Apr 24, 14 5:00 AM
Over the past couple of months I've noticed that a lot of the "old" reviewers have fallen by the wayside and I miss them. There were certain ones that I looked forward to reading but I can't find them anymore.
This game is an ERS game and there used to be tons of reviews for any ERS game by this time of the morning but not so today...or any other day lately.
Can anyone tell me where they've gone?

sartasia
Stingray
Stingray
4,581 Posts

Re:What happened to all the reviewers?

[Post New]by sartasia on Apr 24, 14 6:03 AM
When they took away the pond (CCC) most of us moved on.

Happy Gaming.

Edited on 04/24/2014 at 6:03:49 AM PST

joyce2121
Manatee
Manatee
4,490 Posts

[Post New]by joyce2121 on Apr 24, 14 6:35 AM
Baglady,

A number of them still visit this site, so if you send them a
PM, they will probably let you know where to find them.

tvjunkies
Seahorse
Seahorse
31 Posts

[Post New]by tvjunkies on Apr 24, 14 6:49 AM
"took away the pond (CCC)"

What?

angelfish106
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,378 Posts

[Post New]by angelfish106 on Apr 24, 14 7:16 AM
tvjunkies wrote:"took away the pond (CCC)"

What?

CCC = Chit Chat Corner. It was hugely popular and had thousands of posts. Then one day, pretty much without warning, it was taken away and with it went many of the regulars. Some still swim by here now and again but most have found other ponds to bathe in

[Post New]by Old_Man_River on Apr 24, 14 7:44 AM
I have to agree. Due to removal of the CCC and heavy censorship most have move on and no longer bother. Most monitor the forum but choose not to post

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

What happened to all the reviewers?

[Post New]by Valdy on Apr 24, 14 8:53 AM
baglady159 wrote:Over the past couple of months I've noticed that a lot of the "old" reviewers have fallen by the wayside and I miss them. There were certain ones that I looked forward to reading but I can't find them anymore.
This game is an ERS game and there used to be tons of reviews for any ERS game by this time of the morning but not so today...or any other day lately.
Can anyone tell me where they've gone?

Hey Baglady...

I am sure you know where I and a few others are. You are a member on my forum.

shorenuf
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,281 Posts

[Post New]by shorenuf on Apr 24, 14 9:53 AM
The poster who mentioned retaliation has removed their post. The moderator has removed my quote of the post.

There was good reason for "retaliation", as you put it. A huge group of loyal BFG fans, customers, supporters, and positive spokespersons who shared a variety of forums on this site were dismissed in a most heinous way.

Comments made here by a few, subsequent to the demise of CCC, the Mac Forum and all the others, has nothing to do with why I don't participate in the game forums anymore. It all has to do with my change in attitude about the company. You had to be here 5 years ago to see how BF went from a customer first company who's pride in their product often superseded their profit margin, to regarding nothing more than the almighty dollar. I don't deny them their success, but disregarding the customers who helped get them there is just wrong.

Top management here used to use the forums to interact with their customers, they actually had fun doing that. Apparently the fun is over -- that is very sad. That guy at the top has traded pure joy for the love of money, when, with a little effort, he could have had both. What's life all about anyway?

Edited on 04/24/2014 at 6:29:39 PM PST

[Post New]by angelofmusic62 on Apr 24, 14 10:28 AM
Many of the faithful reviewers stopped posting because others were attacking their reviews in a way that was more like an attack on the person. People can disagree without being nasty. It got ugly for awhile.

[Post New]by CathyCatfish on Apr 24, 14 11:05 AM

orphaned wrote:
[...] than the removal (and subsequent retaliation for the removal ) of CCC.

THIS is the reason, IMHO, why many reviewers and just posters in general have left. see what shorenuf said.

Edited on 04/24/2014 at 1:56:42 PM PST

bfgWendwater
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,911 Posts

[Post New]by bfgWendwater on Apr 24, 14 12:39 PM
Hi Everyone,

While this thread isn't necessarily game related, you are welcome to keep posting as long as the thread stays on topic, constructive and doesn't veer overly negative.

I have gone ahead and removed some posts that appear to be unrelated to the subject, and I will need to lock the thread should things continue in this manner.

Thank you everyone for your input.

bfgWendwater

Nilosh
Clownfish
Clownfish
590 Posts

[Post New]by Nilosh on Apr 24, 14 1:02 PM
I too have missed old friends at the forums and realize that many have moved on to greener pastures. I to was considering leaving but for wise words from another much admired reviewer, she reminded me why we do this, because we enjoy it and I am grateful for those who read all our reviews and send us notes and opinions.

Sadly I have noticed also how the review section has changed and settings have been altered so that five star reviews are given priority, making those reviews read first. I found this to be very misleading but still, settings can be changed. I make it a point to post in the forum but I do miss the old friendships there. I am an old timer here and I do miss the days when games were relatively cheaper, BFG was relatively user friendly and fishies were swimming joyously in the pond, lending a helping hand when needed. There was Marg and her brilliant walkthroughs and so many others who shared gave their time and experiences without hesitation. However, in life things change and not always for the better. I have often made some unwanted comments on these changes and have vented but I also have voiced my sympathies to BFG on the difficult decisions that they were forced to make, especially in an environment where the economy has faltered, competition became harsher and user profiles have changed so drastically. Technology is rapidly evolving and I myself cant seem to keep up.

Why am I still here? More out of a sense of loyalty than anything else. BFG has been a big part of my life way back when I first signed on. Going through a difficult time, these games were my escape from some harsh realities that were taking place around me. I always valued the "me" time and, yes I know, spending hours in front of a computer isn’t the most healthy way to spend one's time, but for me it kept me grounded and most of all entertained. I looked forward to new games and the quiet time I had after the house settled down. I got the computer to myself and was able to lose myself in a virtual adventure. At my age, sleep becomes a luxury and reading tires my eyes, but PC games? They were a way to wind down and really enjoy myself. I was a fan and definitely a monetary contributor to BFG, as my husband loves to remind me at the end of every month. Needless to say, I also loved, LOVED the people at the tech services and miss them so very much.

Yes I feel a sense of loyalty not only to BFG but to those who still are here, but I am still dismayed at the overall attitude that BFG seems to be extending to customers like myself. After all loyalty should be a two way street. I will continue to write reviews as long as I have the time to do so and there are people still reading them. I still am hoping that things may change down the road, that old friends may drop and that BFG will extend a warm welcome to them.

JulieJay
Catfish
Catfish
1,555 Posts

[Post New]by JulieJay on Apr 24, 14 1:41 PM
I've heard off quite a few people that they don't feel like posting reviews in a thread that is constantly created by a non-mod. What confuses me about this situation is that obviously the game forum itself has to be created by a mod so why not immediately create the tech and review threads and have done with it?

sunnyglow
Clownfish
Clownfish
804 Posts

[Post New]by sunnyglow on Apr 24, 14 2:13 PM
Before me, my mom used to play on this site and informed me that the pond had a much more friendly place. People chatted with each other quite a bit. Mom got tired of the games and turned the game site over to me. Thank you sweet mummsy. However, I believe that there were some reviewers who "took over" the sites and began to confront and belittle other contributors. I had it happen to me once. A review is a review. No one person should be allowed to belittle anyone's opinion. Hey - I don't like straight HOG games. So what? That is my opinion. I don't need to be ridiculed for my opinion.

Also, no one person should monopolize the site as if it were there own little "venting" area. Also, working in the business world myself, I imagine it is quite expensive to have all the moderators BF has to monitor the sites. I usually never answer these posts, but felt that maybe it was time to "vent." Wow! how wonderful to vent my views! Yeah! I only review once and only once per game - thus is the reason that through the years, even with mom, we only have less than 600 posts.

MissAbby
Catfish
Catfish
1,709 Posts

[Post New]by MissAbby on Apr 24, 14 2:14 PM

JulieJay wrote:I've heard off quite a few people that they don't feel like posting reviews in a thread that is constantly created by a non-mod. What confuses me about this situation is that obviously the game forum itself has to be created by a mod so why not immediately create the tech and review threads and have done with it?

I honestly don't see what difference that makes. The Review Thread is just that..The Review Thread! BF does not have Mods on duty at the midnight Seattle time, so the thread is started by a loyal member who is simply helping out. I believe BF Flounder's threads are automatically generated. I suppose they could do that with the review and tech threads, but I'm not really sure about how that works. Maybe BFGWendwater can help us out with that question?

Perhaps you are thinking the reviewers and people with tech problems should wait until the daytime Mods come online to start the threads? Honestly, I think that would cause more problems than "WHO" is starting the thread. In my opinion I don't think anyone should take it personally who starts the thread, just be happy that a good fishie is starting them and we can post reviews and tech issues to help others as soon as possible!

Abs

[Post New]by feenix2011 on Apr 24, 14 2:16 PM
I just want to say that I too, miss all the old reviewers. Glad to see Valdy is still here!! and Nilosh and Shorenuf. There are some that pop up every now and then, but as Bob Dylan said, "The times they are a changin" !!

feenix

[Post New]by CathyCatfish on Apr 24, 14 2:16 PM
JulieJay wrote:I've heard off quite a few people that they don't feel like posting reviews in a thread that is constantly created by a non-mod. What confuses me about this situation is that obviously the game forum itself has to be created by a mod so why not immediately create the tech and review threads and have done with it?

funny, i've been around here for 3 years and i've never heard that!

i guess i don't understand that mindset. a review thread is a review thread, no matter who starts it, right?
and, while i don't think it matters who starts the review thread (or tech thread, either, really) i DO agree with you (and i've said this publicly before) that since the two first threads for each game AUTO-RELEASE at 12:29 a.m. BFGT, there's no reason that BFG couldn't set it up for the review and tech threads to AUTO-RELEASE at the same time. the mods in cork used to do that duty but now that they've been sacked, it's up to the forum members to do BFG's job, apparently!

i have PMd quite a bit with pondprowler and i can testify that she would rather not do it, but the one or two times she skipped doing the tech thread, she got PMs asking her where to post tech issues! so, i'm sure if she had a choice, she would prefer BFG do it as well. hopefully, she'll post and clarify.

Itsupikachu
Flounder
Flounder
2,158 Posts

[Post New]by Itsupikachu on Apr 24, 14 2:44 PM
I, too, am so disappointed that BF took away our "Pond" I used to post fairly often and loved to read the posts and to encourage and/or pray for those who where having a tough time but we can't do that anymore and it's SO SAD! It was a way to meet some wonderful people. Now, I just come here to see what new games there are, read the few reviews that remain and to purchase games I like. I'm still a member but I enjoyed it here so much more when we still had the "Pond".

snapnhiss
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,483 Posts

[Post New]by snapnhiss on Apr 24, 14 4:18 PM
I'm glad to see we have a mod that allows us some leeway. Much appreciated.

tesamoine
Herring
Herring
387 Posts

[Post New]by tesamoine on Apr 24, 14 5:34 PM
Nilosh wrote:

Sadly I have noticed also how the review section has changed and settings have been altered so that five star reviews are given priority, making those reviews read first. I found this to be very misleading but still, settings can be changed. I make it a point to post in the forum but I do miss the old friendships there.

I am in total agreement regarding the settings of the reviews of games on the main BFG page. I am always stunned that some reviewers give every game 5 stars. This is misleading and not real informative. That is why I come to these forums to get honest opinions from great reviewers. I do see some reviewers being called out by others for their honest opinions. It is nice to have a place to talk to other fishies about games freely and also about day to day life in general, which is why I have joined other forums. I AM extremely grateful to the reviewers who can review a game with their honest opinions and rely on them about certain aspects of games.

Go to: