Edited on 04/25/2014 at 8:38:32 AM PST

bfgWendwater
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,911 Posts

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Nightmares from the Deep: Davy Jones here

[Post New]by bfgWendwater on Apr 25, 14 8:38 AM
Hello Everyone,

Welcome to the reviews thread! Please feel free to post your thoughts and feedback on Nightmares from the Deep: Davy Jones here. We appreciate the time you take to put your reviews together, and I know other gamers and the developers do as well. We just have a few guidelines to keep in mind when posting. Our goal with these is to keep the thread tidy, easy to navigate and helpful.

Review Guidelines

1) Be sure to keep your reviews on-topic. Reviews in this thread should only be commenting on Nightmares from the Deep: Davy Jones.
2) Be respectful of the reviewers. Please keep in mind our Forum Rules and be respectful of our reviewers. They take the time to post here to be helpful. Please do not review the reviews of others.
3) Do not respond to someone else’s reviews with questions or comments If you have any feedback about a review, or you feel that a review contains incorrect details about the game, please contact the poster directly via PM.
4) Do not review developers. While we do appreciate your feedback, we’d ask that you keep your posts in this thread dedicated to the specific game at hand.

*Moderators will be removing any content in this thread that is not a review.

If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to PM one of our Moderators.

bfgWendwater

[Post New]by JustTheFacts on Apr 25, 14 9:58 PM
Mum Walks The Plank!*****

BASED ON COMPLETED GAME

FIRST IMPRESSIONS
Delightful! We are immediately immersed in the continuing story of Davy Jones and the woman who has been determined to dig up the evidence of his existence as a true historical figure. It is her presentation on the subject that Davy Jones himself interrupts in typically overwhelming fashion. The early cut scenes are splendid! I started to get vertigo, swooping like that!

If you’ve not played the previous Nightmares Of The Deep games, you’ll have no reason to know why this particular woman is making this particular speech, but it matters not at all. Our battle with Davy this time is direct and immediate. Of course, if you have played those games, you’ll know this is not the first time we have interfered in Davy’s business.

SIGHTS & SOUNDS
Amazing colours, sounds and special effects characterise this game. I love how colourful everything is, despite the darkness of many locations. Sea urchins that are almost iridescent. Glowing seahorses. Flowers of such rich and vibrant shades you’d never be able to name them all. Heck, even the skeletons looked cute! And very clearly detailed HOP scenes. Which is important because some of the scenes are quite dark.

The music is wonderfully ominous and foreboding. Mostly quiet, it is subtle and often consists of single, wide-spaced notes. There is a piano track that is particularly nice. The background noises are what you’d expect, wind and rain, sounds of the waves and the creaking of wood when on board. The voiceovers are tremendous, very appropriate, excellent acting, and lip synched!

WHAT’S HAPPENING?
We are the museum’s expert on Davy Jones, a reputation earned in the first two Nightmares of the Deep games, through our adventures. Still, no one living has set eyes on him, and many still say he is mere myth and legend. You are about to make your speech, in which you present the evidence of his historical existence, when what do you know?! The legend himself arrives in a high dudgeon, demanding that we keep silent about his personal business. Guess that is a pretty persuasive piece of evidence for our theory!

Unfortunately, our “theory” kidnaps us (and our daughter), throws us in the brig, and starts for home. Despite an ingenious escape, we are soon recaptured and Davy Jones tricks our daughter into signing the fateful pact, like thousands of others before her, and now she cannot escape him unless the contract is fulfilled. But even Davy has long since forgotten what it was that fulfilled the contract!

We learn the somewhat confused and confusing story of David Jones’ good luck and dire curses through the means of ancient “guardians of Davy’s memories”. What they will reveal to you, through a sepia toned cartoon, is the true reason for the rampage and evil that Davy has wrought across the centuries. This gets more convoluted as the game progresses and I wish it had been better told.

GAMEPLAY
Plenty of variety here. There are several types of HOP, including progressive silhouettes, interactive word lists, and fragmented object searches. Some scenes are visited twice, but using a different search pattern.

Also, there is a straightforward mahjong game that you can use as an alternative. The mahjong annoyed me a bit, because in order to get the last item on the list, you had to find the golden pair of tiles that are chained up until all other tiles are used. That would be fine, except, if you swap partway through the list, you must start from the first tiles. Consequently, you really can’t, from an efficiency point of view, find that last object that is always the hardest to find. You know the one I mean, there’s always one.

There are a bunch of mini-games and puzzles. They range in difficulty from delightfully easy to frustratingly hard. I was unhappy that I had to skip a couple of them, because I just couldn’t make head nor tail of them The adventure component is the focus of the gameplay, and I had a lot of fun with it. You have an interactive jump map, a directional hint, a journal I found basically useless, and a task list.

COMBINED IMPACT
I loved this game. The colours and the characters in particular impressed me. This is my favourite of all the Nightmares of the Deep games. Although, you couldn’t go wrong with any or all of them.

I recommend this game!

[Post New]by bareblack45 on Apr 25, 14 10:06 PM
i totally agree, i love this game and its one of a kind, im glad i got to get the upgrade. nicely done, now if i can just figure out how to get friends. lol

roaming
Clownfish
Clownfish
644 Posts

[Post New]by roaming on Apr 27, 14 5:30 AM
The usual AM great graphics, but four puzzles in the first 12 minutes and no HOS so far? Comedic talking skeleton head mounted on a wall? I'm sure this game will present many challenges and much amusement for others, but it won't be a buy for me.

[Post New]by Tartanpimpernel on May 28, 14 5:20 AM
What a wonderful game, and lots of fun. The puzzles and HOPs were first class and the skeleton crew were hilarious. I must say that this is the first time I have been thoroughly drawn into the story I cannot believe that my eyes filled with tears at the end. This developer just gets better and better. Fishes, please do not miss this one.

Go to: