girlgotgame
Lobster
Lobster
96 Posts

STRATEGY: short and long-term games

[Post New]by girlgotgame on Apr 27, 14 9:19 AM
The gold coin thing is a big annoyance, since the most desirable items are 3-star items, and require at minimum, 5 gold coins.

My strategy has changed in this game. I now play a short-term game and a long-term one.

The short-term game:
In the short term game, I try to get through the required quests as quickly as possible, spending the least amount of money, with no regard for appearance and placement. If it calls for a floor, I put in the cheapest one I can. Same with wallpaper. If it wants a 2-star decor I use a 2-star plant (usually the tulips). Points are instantly credited for plants. I go for the low-end tables and lamps that credit quickly. cheapest cabinets, bath fixtures, pictures, etc. When it asks for a rug, i choose the 1x2 beige rug.

EACH room ends with a gold coin task. it will be an upgrade using a 2-star item that will earn a coin. After that, the room gets an optional task that requires a gold coin. In the short-term game, I ignore those entirely. The object of the short-term game is to get the gold coin for that room. Period.

Each home starts out with 3 free gold coins. Each room earns a gold coin. The smallest house will, therefore, earn you a total of 9 gold coins. DO NOT SPEND THEM ON ANYTHING AT ALL in the short-term game. If you save ALL gold coins, and build one of each style of home, by the time you complete the short-term phase of all the homes, you will have accumulated a minimum total of 68 gold coins.

I do not buy a new house until I've earned all the possible gold coins from the house I am working on, and my combined cash assets are twice the cost of the new house. That ensures that I will still have plenty of money for buying furnishings in any of the homes. (When you buy a new house, each house contributes proportionately to the price of the new house, regardless of what stage of development the old house is at.)

SEE MY NEXT POST IN THIS THREAD FOR
The Long-Term Game

Edited on 04/27/2014 at 9:20:38 AM PST

girlgotgame
Lobster
Lobster
96 Posts

Re:STRATEGY: short and long-term games

[Post New]by girlgotgame on Apr 27, 14 9:21 AM
(continued from previous post)

The long-term game:
ONLY after the house has earned all its possible gold coins do I begin to decorate the way i really want. Then, I go room-by-room buying new stuff. I put all the unwanted stuff into the last room I intend to decorate, because that way, it can continue to earn money for the house. (Items in storage do not add to house value, and once taken out of the house, deplete the value.) I DO use storage to move items from one house to another, as I will describe later.

I start by buying all the non-gold coin items I really want, placing them where I want.
If i want a 3-star item, I initially only buy one per room, to gather the bonus points for the 3-star task for that room. (One of the goals of the long-term game is to fulfill all the remaining tasks.) If I want more than one 3-star item in a room, i buy one item, only--preferably one that actually "belongs" on that room, and no other. (Bed in bedroom, sink in bathroom, etc. Not lamps, plants, tables, chairs or accessories.)

When I get to the last room, where I've stored everything I don't want, I put those items into storage, and buy my gold-coin item for that room. Then I go back and continue to fill in with more gold-coin items as I wish, bearing in mind that until build another home and complete more gold coin earning tasks, I will not have more coins for the other homes.

If I have a home that is still not earning much money, I store as many unwanted items as possible in that home, instead of in storage, so the lower-value home can earn more value more quickly.

If you have a room where you do not want a 3-star item, but you need one for another room, buy the item you want, but put it in the room that needs the task, instead of the room where you already have a 3-star item. Once it is delivered, you get the credit, and then move the item to the proper room.

The idea is not to think of this as a real home where you must decorate in a certain way--but to play the short-term game for points and coins, and then change it up when you have more assets.

Obviously, the more homes you have, the more you have to play with--as long as you don't fixate on having each one look the way you want it to in the short-term.

Essentially, in the short-term game, you play the role of slum-lord, building crap to earn as much as you can, so that, in the long-term game, you will have the assets to do what you really want..

[Post New]by GSPuddin on Jun 3, 14 6:14 AM
Thanks for putting all this info here, it really makes since & now I know how to play the game & have money to do it with. I would have put my stuff I didn't want in the storage which thank's to you I now know better than that. I just wish there was a way to put the floors in storage or a way to cancel them without paying for them unril you get to see what they look like on your floor before you buy them, I have lost so much money on this problem anyways thank's again O

girlgotgame
Lobster
Lobster
96 Posts

[Post New]by girlgotgame on Jun 3, 14 10:46 AM
Wallpaper and floors are annoying because they don't allow previews--but again, using a two-step strategy, you don't have to waste money on walls or floors you don't like.

In stage one, i always select the cheapest wallpaper and floors--$500--and then go back and change it as the rest of my final decorating strategy unfolds. I usually choose the sand walls and light carpet floor, because they are neutral and allow me to develop my decorating scheme undistracted or limited by the colors. Then, I go back--when I have plenty of money--and put in the walls and floor i want. At that point, i have so much money that if i don;t like the choice, I can change it, without fear of running out of cash.

One warning: NEVER choose a gold coin (3-star) wall or floor unless you are CERTAIN you want it. They have no resale value, and once you spend coins, they cannot be recovered. (When you sell gold coin furnishings, you only get about $1000 for them--and NO coins!)

Go to: