Please post your REVIEWS for Royal Detective: Queen of Shadows Collector's Edition here

[Post New]by pondprowler on May 1, 14 12:33 AM
A thread for your reviews!

Edited on 05/01/2014 at 7:44:59 AM PST

Nilosh
Clownfish
Clownfish
590 Posts

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Royal Detective: Queen of Shadows Collector's Edition here

[Post New]by Nilosh on May 1, 14 2:09 AM
To be honest with you this doesn’t come close to its predecessor, Lord of Statues which incidentally I remember how much I raved about. It seems that our pachyderm friends continue to take that step backwards and are not upholding to their usual standards of excellence. I found the graphics subpar and other features a bit disappointing.

Let s begin with our story; our Princess who has redeemed herself from our previous adventure now is reunited with her Mother when suddenly they are pulled apart from each others’ grasps and once again, her mother is taken away from her by the evil trees that have come to life. As Royal Detective, you are summoned to help our Princess as her powers are not yet strong enough to come against the Evil Kind and his brothers. As far as plots go, we have another fairy tale fantasy with goblins and dragons and wicked looking tree stumps that come to life.

The Visuals were not as amazing as there was in the first game. We have 2D images with a hint of realism yet our characters are flat and surrounded by dark and at times blurred graphics. Artwork was good yet overall visuals were dark and there weren’t any outstanding special effects. Voice-overs were done well but not used as much; the game is rather silent and music a bit too obtrusive in the background. No sound effects that these developers are famous for and the entire game fell a bit flat, not only in visuals and sounds but also in the game play. This game so far proved to be a disappointment and I am worried about the fate of these developers who were ranking on top of my list.

A standard HOPA game with four modes of difficulty. Game features include a map with indicators, no journal and a skull that acts as your hint. I miss Rooster from the previous game and so far during the demo, you have only the Princess guiding you.
The hidden object scenes were standard lit of twelve items to collect and only two interactive items to find. No variety in that area which tells me that some people are getting lazy. Graphics were poor in the scenes and I could hardly make out some items. Mini-games were somewhat interesting but again my complaint has to do with graphics. There is a lot of back tracking involved but then the map helps you with that. There are cut scenes that are hand drawn pages with voice-over reciting to you as I said, no outstanding animation cut scenes here.

You have collectables which are 18 dragons that morph and due to the dark visuals, some were difficult to spot but I still managed to find 8 of them during the demo. There is a list of achievements which mostly requires you to achieve success during the HO scenes and mini-games.

I wasn’t thrown by this game and not really impressed by the overall effects. It lacks continuity and the story seems to loose ground with me as I played on. Game play involved merely going back and forth picking up objects and using them. It may be that things might get more interesting as you move further into the game but to tell you the truth, if I am not excited within the first hour, I tend not to go forth just yet. I won’t be rushing out to buy this one and will just wait for the SE version as finding morphing dragons and achievements is just not enough for me to pay CE rates. Although there is a sale today, I am still not tempted just yet which tells me a lot about the impact that this game has failed to achieve with me. Dear Developers, Should I worry?

Pickles77
Minnow
Minnow
264 Posts

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Royal Detective: Queen of Shadows Collector's Edition here

[Post New]by Pickles77 on May 1, 14 2:58 AM
Well, all I have to say is.......WOW WOW!!! I absolutely love this game, much better than the first one, imo....at least I don't have to squint to see anything, I usually find games by this Developer hard to see, scenes are too busy usually...but I don't have that problem with this game....the graphics are stunning, the voiceovers, superb!!! The hidden object scenes are wonderful, to say the least! Will be getting this one when Collector's Editions sale kicks in!!! Great job, Developers! Thanks BFG for bringing this gem of game to us in the pond!!!

[Post New]by JustTheFacts on May 1, 14 3:14 AM
Become The New Lord Of Statues!*****

BASED ON DEMO

FIRST IMPRESSIONS
It’s a good opening. Young girl running through the dark woods. Stops, stares, ”Mother!”, reaches for the woman she has been searching for, for 5 years... and she is snatched away. This sequel to the fabulous Lord Of Statues promises to be as least as good.

SIGHTS & SOUNDS
I have run out of words to describe the awe-inspiring artwork we are seeing these days, especially from this developer. So I won’t try to say more than it is truly magnificent, as you’d expect, and there is no down side. The music is also breathtakingly lovely. In particular, one track with a piano lead that sounds like a love song waiting for lyrics. The background sounds are wonderful too. Voiceovers, superb. I am particularly fond of the skull’s echoing and resonating tones.

WHAT’S HAPPENING?
You don’t have to have played the first game of the Royal Detective series, Lord Of Statues, but the game assumes you have. You have received a cry for help from Princess, who you last saw in that game, then aged maybe 7 or 8 years old. It is 5 years later, and the teenager has finally found her mother, who has now been kidnapped. You meet her at a strange and magical city, and are greeted by a skull. He is the spirit of the city’s keeper, and your new hint.

Princess herself has a good grasp of magic these days, and a fair idea where her mother might have been taken, so you follow her lead. Then some.. thing... attacks her in the forest. This is shaping up to be a dangerous case. It is also a much darker story than the first, where skeletons and war and evil magic abound.

Back story is delivered in mini-game format. The first requires you to paint (by code) an image. The second is a panorama-style game where you must get your hero from home to the castle past many obstacles. The third has you playing a series of align the parts of the image game – usually used to define star constellations. Each time you progress, another piece of the story is revealed.

GAMEPLAY
The gameplay is the familiar: HOPs searched by interactive list, and an array of puzzles both known and unknown, varying degrees of difficulty. There is no journal but there is an interactive jump map that gives you active tasks, and a hint system that tells you your next move and takes you there. There are 4 levels of difficulty, and 6 chapters, of which the demo covers 2.

There are also some differences. For example, we get a fire dagger early on, which so far we’ve been able to keep. Likewise, we receive a magic book, and a magic gauntlet, both of which will be used many times during the game. (I believe, based on the evidence of the demo). We receive magic items that can gather hidden objects within the locations that have been previously indicated (I feel a ghostly presence here), but invisible. These mini-collections are small, 5-7 objects, and the vessel disappears once it’s been used. There is a significant amount of this sort of activity.

CE BLING!
The gallery items include: wallpapers (good, not just screenshots) x12, concept art (saveable and some really fine looking samples) x14, music x 5, screensavers x3.

There are roughly 20 achievements, all performance based. There are also 25 collectible “little dragons”. In the collectibles room, there is also an album with 12 spots for something I didn’t identify in the course of the demo. No replayable mini-games or HOPs. Bonus chapter and Strategy Guide.

COMBINED IMPACT
Wonderful! Magical! Loved it! A worthy successor to Lord Of Statues, though darker.

I recommend this game!

nomatt
Herring
Herring
377 Posts

[Post New]by nomatt on May 1, 14 7:29 AM
I saw the intro, lots of 'achievements', Couldn't be bothered. I seem to only play the games without so called achievements and collectibles these days. Too many distractions, it's all padding and less game. No buy for me.

bfgMurrumbidgee
1,338 Posts

[Post New]by bfgMurrumbidgee on May 1, 14 7:49 AM
Hello Everyone,

Welcome to the reviews thread! Please feel free to post your thoughts and feedback on Royal Detective: Queen of Shadows Collector's Edition here. We appreciate the time you take to put your reviews together, and I know other gamers and the developers do as well. We just have a few guidelines to keep in mind when posting. Our goal with these is to keep the thread tidy, easy to navigate and helpful.

Review Guidelines

1) Be sure to keep your reviews on-topic. Reviews in this thread should only be commenting on Royal Detective: Queen of Shadows Collector's Edition .
2) Be respectful of the reviewers. Please keep in mind our Forum Rules and be respectful of our reviewers. They take the time to post here to be helpful. Please do not review the reviews of others.
3) Do not respond to someone else’s reviews with questions or comments If you have any feedback about a review, or you feel that a review contains incorrect details about the game, please contact the poster directly via PM.
4) Do not review developers. While we do appreciate your feedback, we’d ask that you keep your posts in this thread dedicated to the specific game at hand.

*Moderators will be removing any content in this thread that is not a review.

If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to PM one of our Moderators.

JoFin
Guppy
Guppy
106 Posts

[Post New]by JoFin on May 1, 14 9:19 AM
My review is for "Just the Facts". He/she gives the best reviews, letting me know what's in the game with all the information I need to try it, whether it's a good review or not. My thanks to you, Just the Facts" I look forward to all your reviews.

PS. Based on this, I will definitely try this game.

[Post New]by sandi12345 on May 1, 14 9:38 AM
having done the demo am unsure if it is a buy for me. There is no map which meant I had to keep pressing the hint to see where to go next, I could be teleported which was good. There is a lot of going backwards and forwards. The puzzles are good and different, the two or three hidden objects I found hard to see and again needed the hint to find a couple of items. There are also some items which I wasn't sure what they were. This is an Elephant game which are one of my favourite developers but will wait for the SE and use a punch card. Not a CE for me.

siscokid
Guppy
Guppy
119 Posts

[Post New]by siscokid on May 1, 14 10:58 AM
I don't understand how anyone could give this game a bad review. I have seriously bought a kazillion Collector's Editions and so far to me, this one is the bomb! I will leave all of the descriptive narratives to the experts...(Nilosh, Just the Facts) who in my humble opinion are spot on and are "the" go to breakdown for a synopsis. Having said all of that, I will get into why I like this game so much.
For one thing, there are a TON of things to do, and things to collect. The graphics are gorgeous, the voice overs are realistic and the music is totally appropriate and engaging for the scenes. The storyline is not at all boring, and from what I've seen so far, I was pleasantly surprised that this developer has left all the proverbial thinking out of the box. Did I mention amazing graphics? Without trying to repeat myself, I sat here in total awe and believe you me, it takes ALOT to impress me. I personally think this may make it to the game of the year, if it doesn't I will be very surprised. 5 star game....give it a try, I think you will be pleasantly surprised. Great job Devs!!!

shripch
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,952 Posts

[Post New]by shripch on May 1, 14 12:13 PM
I've only played part of the trial and will return to finish before I give a final opinion, but so far I feel deja vu! This game looks almost exactly like the last Royal detective to me. Right away I faced the "spider tree stump" and knew exactly what to do. Fire! Then the room you enter was almost a complete duplicate of the last game. I might be missing something, but it's like they decided to just reuse stuff to save time and money. I'll play more but if this continues there is no way I'll pay for a retread when I want new.

[Post New]by nontechiegrannie on May 1, 14 12:51 PM
Based On Demo: Another abandoned child who finally finds her mother only to have mom snatched away again. Bring on the dragons, fairies & statues that need to be brought to life. Y A W N & B O R I N G.

Graphics: BLUE is the only way to describe them. Usual murky colorization & not realistic at all.

VO: Princess sounds like a over the top drama queen.

HOGS: Usual messy junk piles with minimal interaction. I never did find any of the morphing dragons.

Subpar & not distinct game play. At least you can teleport with the hint button since there is so much back & forth & the SKULL yawns when the hint button is recharged.

My recurring question is always, when or when are the devs going to come up with some new ideas for games? Not soon enough from what I am seeing.

[Post New]by daisyduck352 on May 1, 14 1:42 PM
Thought the game to be very good. Always enjoy ELEPHANT games, they have lots to do and always keep me in suspense. Has a map that helps you to where you need to go, hints reload fast. Have played the other game and like this one as well as that one. There is so much to do so you never get bored with this game. Give this 5 out 5 stars..

tvjunkies
Seahorse
Seahorse
31 Posts

[Post New]by tvjunkies on May 1, 14 2:30 PM
Absolutely hated it....sorry but adored the first...this one stinks on so many levels and the other reviewers negatives echoed with me.

Storyline was much darker and dismal, graphics not up to par, just not good...period.

I remember being really excited...just like a kid...on playing the first one...even days after I had to stop to attend to real life and then come back...the excitement was still there.

This one couldn't wait to get rid of....such a shame as I love this developer.

Big thumbs down from me!

sunnyglow
Clownfish
Clownfish
804 Posts

[Post New]by sunnyglow on May 1, 14 5:04 PM
We have another "game" (if you call it that) and a major disappointment by the Pachyderm. My only question is: What has happened to you? You used to be one of the best devs on this site. This game seems more directed to the younger fishies and a rehash of previous games by this dev. However, I don't think the younger set would like this game either. I actually had to force myself to finish the demo.

In a reversal of the parent-child formula game - this time the daughter ("Princess" Wow! Is she a cat or dog?) tries to rescue her mother. In an absurd storyline, we have a 12 year old girl in search of her mother . Having made "unwise choices" (boy, does that sound like education lingo or what?) she has reformed and is now "doing the right thing." Instead of trying to develop great games, I guess they are taking courses in early childhood education. You, as a detective in the case are called in to find her mother. (Ever think the mother is trying to escape from being in this absurd game? I would.)

Ala kindergarten, we have a paint-by-number puzzle in the opening of the game. And guess what? You don't even have to "paint" the picture. All you do is click the screen until you get the correct color. Gee, that was so much fun. The graphics were grainy on my computer and the characters were poorly done. There are 4 levels of play. Again, Pachyderm - please explain to me the difference between the "Hard" and "Detective" levels? Just think how wonderful it would be if you, as other devs, would actually allow us to customize our games. And again, we have another helper as a guide to hints. Guess they ran out of animals because now we have a skeleton. Welcome to the World of the Living Dead which accurately describes this game. There are very few puzzles in this game. The ones I encountered were boringly easy. The HOP scenes are interactive junk piles. I guess they would not even consider having another game to substitute for the HOP scene. If you like mindless games which require very little thought, this is the game for you! I spent most of the demo looking for items to complete statues. An absolute bore and waste of my time tonight! Yesterday's old school game was better than this. I rate this game 2 stars out of 5 stars. An absolute waste! To me, one of the worst CE's we have had this year. A definite NONPURCHASE ever!

Edited on 05/01/2014 at 5:10:07 PM PST

tesamoine
Herring
Herring
387 Posts

[Post New]by tesamoine on May 1, 14 6:41 PM
I played through the entire demo, although I wanted to quit within the first ten minutes. I thought the first Royal Detective was wonderful. This game leaves me shaking my head in wonderment. I'm not sure who this game is geared towards. It is SO easy, even on the most difficult mode, it's ridiculous. The mini games are pathetic. C'mon... a paint by number (that you don't even have to do anything but click to change the color?). The HOS were massive junk piles with a few interactive items thrown in. The character being named "Princess" was plain annoying (I know, picky, picky, but true). Not only do you get a jump map, your yawning skeleton hint button also transports you. No brain cells required. There are quite a few scenes that I felt I was looking at the same scene from the prequel to this game. The collectibles and achievements are not enough to warrant this game as a CE. It appears to be a very short game also. This is a no purchase for me in CE or SE form. I will support smaller developers who can at least put out a game with some challenge to it.

Yaelle
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,317 Posts

[Post New]by Yaelle on May 2, 14 12:04 AM
What on earth happened over at Elephant Games?? Was there a big employee shakeup?
Seems like they took the good thing they had going & just chucked it out the window, replacing all that we loved about their previous games with 2-3 of the newer games that they have released.

I am very disappointed. If anyone at Elephant reads feedback, they should know that they're going to go the way of the wooly mammoth if they dont go back to doing it the way we used to love.

angelfish106
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,378 Posts

[Post New]by angelfish106 on May 2, 14 3:20 AM
I'm in total agreement with Sunnyglow's brilliant review of this game. Boring HOS and puzzles, no challenge to the game at all, graphics were ok but not exceptional and the demo ran so jerkily it became a chore to play.

I don't know if Elephant have different teams for different games but whoever made this lacklustre sequel needs a kick up their complacency. Not even worth the SE price.

sunnyglow
Clownfish
Clownfish
804 Posts

[Post New]by sunnyglow on May 2, 14 4:51 AM
What on earth happened over at Elephant Games?? Was there a big employee shakeup?

Yes Yaelie. This game may indicate a trending earthquake in computer games and devs like Pachyderm. There seems to be a Great Purge infiltrating many of the companies inhabiting the "Land of the Great Wizards of Oz." (AKA Silicon Valley). We, in Kansas (AKA Midwest) are seeing numerous applications from from IT, Electrical and Computer Engineering refugees from this region looking for jobs. We have had several apply at our Rockwellian "boring but stable" and financially profitable company in the last few months. We don't possess all the "fun" and "lightning bolts" of these companies but we provide stability. Guess one of the Wicked Witches must be decimating some of the companies in an obvious major shake out in the industry. I don't think Pachyderm is located there, but something is going on in Tech World.

I'm in total agreement with Sunnyglow's brilliant review of this game.

Thank you Angel Fish 106 for the kind words. I am not "brilliant." Most would call me "irritating" and "snarky." LOL

Edited on 05/02/2014 at 5:02:43 AM PST

dancemom1
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,198 Posts

[Post New]by dancemom1 on May 2, 14 10:22 AM
Hello all. We have another line in the Royal Detective series. Yes, I have the other two games listed today already. I'm not sure what is happening with Elephant, but the quality of the games is going down for some reason. The graphics in this one is okay, but a little dark and fuzzy in some areas. Colors are bright for the most part. Game play was good, no problems at all. Voice overs were good when you had them. This is a very quiet game, with not much in the way of sound FX or dialog...even the music is very quiet and sparse in most areas.

There is a jump map, but not a very good one. When will the devs listen and make a map easier to follow? There is no area on the map that is identified by name, so you better remember what an area looked like if you plan on getting back there. Yes, it does show that something can be done in a particular area, but that isn't the point. The SG is the usual and is helpful, but some instructions are a bit cryptic. Again, it does not tell you what location to go back to, just to go back 5 steps. Guess it is because the map areas are not identified by name either. Instead of a helpful little animal, you have a helpful fire dagger that burns through certain things blocking your way, e.g. ropes, trees, vines., etc.

HOPs are a little junky and very cluttered, with some items being very small, and some of the colors were more monochrome, which makes items more difficult to make out. I found my eyes getting tired very quickly. Puzzles were not difficult and as you played them, they gave you more insight into the story. This was nicely done.

The game seemed to pick up more when I started putting the statues together. There was more action, so hopefully it continues throughout the rest of the game. There are a lot of achievements, same old same old and collectibles. The only one I found was the 18 morphing dragons. They do not stand out and you can only grab them when they are in morph mode, so be on the lookout in every scene. I only found 8 during the demo.

I'm on the fence with this one, so I will put it in my puddle and think about it for awhile. The game is not particularly challenging and needs some real clean up, but I did like the story and I have hope that it will continue to pick up as you play.

As always, try it for yourself and see what you think. We all have different tastes in games and you may find this one to be exactly what you are looking for. Thanks for the reviews.

[Post New]by leonamcboner on May 7, 14 3:25 AM
I have to agree in that this game is not a patch on the first one, in my opinion.

In the original you were having to constantly think about what your items were to be used for and where you needed to be next, along with friends you made on the way.

In this (and other games at the moment) it's obvious, a bit too obvious. Oh, there's a locked box. Oh look! There's the key for it on the next shelf!

It does seem a lot of these games are becoming to easy and without the smooth play of predecessors. A bit too much focus on fantasy without the element of realness the other games used to give you.

I bought this as I feel Elephant provide THE best games on here, but I have to say, I was very disappointed. It wasn't even as long gameplay.

If it ain't broke, Elephant, don't fix it.

Go to: