JellyRage
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
13 Posts

Re:Reviews for Mystery Case Files: Shadow Lake Collector's Edition

[Post New]by JellyRage on Dec 12, 12 4:04 AM
I have loved all of the Mystery Case Files, and this one was no disappointment. I easily played until the end without getting bored!

tejasgal
Manatee
Manatee
4,062 Posts

[Post New]by tejasgal on Dec 14, 12 8:04 AM
Oh my, how the mighty have fallen! MCF, Used to be the cutting edge we all looked forward to with great anticipation.
Now, after EFR, I was somewhat leary since that was an over the top, gross out-o-rama.
This newest offering is, well.... boring! Ok, the small circles of pic's to take and match in scenes was a pretty good trick in EFR so I guess it's OHHH that worked good, let's beat it to death......... The "award winning actress" will only be winning the award for most irritating, campy, and repetivite dialogue in the history of gaming.
Yes, the grahics are good, the HOG is a new twist and not bad except that the close up's are small and items very very small. Music not that great.
I have every MCF and was one of those HUGE fans (especially after Return to Ranvenhurst) but I guess I would now say no longer a fan. Won't be buying this one. Oh, maybe as a daily deal, but otherwise, really really disappointed.
Try it for yourselves, fishies............ Each to their own.

PeterJKH
Seahorse
Seahorse
21 Posts

[Post New]by PeterJKH on Dec 15, 12 2:33 AM
I am a huge fan of the MCF series, but Shadow Lake let me down. It does not feel like you are investigating yourself, you are ordered around all the time, you are told what to find and where, you have to match pictures, report back and the whole same routine starts all over again. The puzzles between each episode are a drama. The blocks are very hard to manipulate and bump each other out of position constantly, or they just keep spinning, so that it is nearly impossible to fit them together. Cassandra gets very irritating, ordering you constantly what to do next over the radio, The end of the game was lame. Nothing special happened, just throw the object in the lake and that's it.

Another thing I did not like, is that you can not walk around at your own will. You are sent to a certain location on the map, and those locations are not connected in such a way that you can walk around the gameworld - you have to choose a certain location on the map and you are magically transported to that particular spot.

I really did NOT like the hidden objects to be scattered around one or more rooms. I prefer the good old "junkpile", but that is personal.

Sorry, MCF, if you keep making games like this one, you've lost a fan. I LOVED Dire Grove, walking around, doing my own investigation, trying to figure out things for myself, exploting the surroundings, etc. One of the greatest games I have ever played. Please, go back tomaking games like that, and I think you would make many people happy.

Nagasse
Stingray
Stingray
5,251 Posts

[Post New]by Nagasse on Dec 15, 12 4:02 PM
This was a very bad MCF game. It lacked what the others had that made them interesting and fun. This game had poor graphics, the storyline was underdeveloped and it wasn't fun. I didn't finish the demo, I was so bored by the lack of focus and boring tasks I uninstalled. I wouldn't recommend.

vicalana
Stingray
Stingray
5,296 Posts

[Post New]by vicalana on Dec 15, 12 4:09 PM
PeterJKH wrote:I am a huge fan of the MCF series, but Shadow Lake let me down. It does not feel like you are investigating yourself, you are ordered around all the time, you are told what to find and where, you have to match pictures, report back and the whole same routine starts all over again. The puzzles between each episode are a drama. The blocks are very hard to manipulate and bump each other out of position constantly, or they just keep spinning, so that it is nearly impossible to fit them together. Cassandra gets very irritating, ordering you constantly what to do next over the radio, The end of the game was lame. Nothing special happened, just throw the object in the lake and that's it.

Another thing I did not like, is that you can not walk around at your own will. You are sent to a certain location on the map, and those locations are not connected in such a way that you can walk around the gameworld - you have to choose a certain location on the map and you are magically transported to that particular spot.

I really did NOT like the hidden objects to be scattered around one or more rooms. I prefer the good old "junkpile", but that is personal.

Sorry, MCF, if you keep making games like this one, you've lost a fan. I LOVED Dire Grove, walking around, doing my own investigation, trying to figure out things for myself, exploting the surroundings, etc. One of the greatest games I have ever played. Please, go back tomaking games like that, and I think you would make many people happy.

Agree. Not a bad game, but compared to the other MCF seriously lacking. But I do think the MCF I expect to be the game of the year. This one wasn't.

[Post New]by Mahlikus on Dec 16, 12 2:52 AM
vicalana wrote:
PeterJKH wrote:I am a huge fan of the MCF series, but Shadow Lake let me down. It does not feel like you are investigating yourself, you are ordered around all the time, you are told what to find and where, you have to match pictures, report back and the whole same routine starts all over again. The puzzles between each episode are a drama. The blocks are very hard to manipulate and bump each other out of position constantly, or they just keep spinning, so that it is nearly impossible to fit them together. Cassandra gets very irritating, ordering you constantly what to do next over the radio, The end of the game was lame. Nothing special happened, just throw the object in the lake and that's it.

Agree. Not a bad game, but compared to the other MCF seriously lacking. But I do think the MCF I expect to be the game of the year. This one wasn't.

Agreed. This is SOOO disappointing! The best MCF game I have ever played was Return to Ravenhearst. 13 Skulls and Dire Grove after that. Escape from Ravenhearst was such a let down for me. Shadow Lake is even worst. Makes me sad. That's two strikes now with me. Hope it gets better because I was a fan. Now, not so sure anymore about MCF. Sad.

Edited on 12/16/2012 at 2:53:32 AM PST

Bhilithinn
Guppy
Guppy
145 Posts

[Post New]by Bhilithinn on Dec 16, 12 8:54 AM
This is an impressions so far review, as I'm only part-way through the game.

Pros
- nice, creepy atmosphere without being over the top
- I'm enjoying the different HOG method (items being scattered in more than one room)
- so far, I'm finding that the storyline is engaging

Cons
- While I like the acting, the live actors seem very much at odds with the rest of the graphics. I'm finding it to be a little jarring.
- Strategy guide next to useless
- with the darker graphics, HOG scenes feel "muddy"

[Post New]by Anamcha on Dec 16, 12 5:10 PM
I've played the game through, and have to agree with most of the reviews here. The game - when compared to many similar games is good. But compared to the earlier Mystery Case File games...it is just okay. Certainly a big decline from the 'greats' of the series that we've had so far.

Things I actually liked, first - I thought the 'live' actors in this 'fitted' better into the game than they had before (didn't feel so out-of-place). I actually loved the way we entered a new location, quite spooky and fun.

However, the plot didn't grab me. Other games, like Dire Grove or Ravenhearst or 13th Skull...well, I actually felt like the Master Detective. ...I didn't connect with the story here. Certainly didn't connect with Cassandra in any way. It more felt like an introduction to Cassandra's story than part of the Master Detective's tale.

And I really hope that isn't the case...because Cassandra wasn't inspiring and ugh, I was sort of hoping she wasn't going to make it. ...sorry.

I think the disconnect also had to do with the lack of inspiration on the part of the Detective. It was more running-back-and-forward for Cassandra rather than finding our own way. And the lack of personality in the diary also played a part.

The puzzles weren't that hard, and actually rather dull. Such as putting the pieces together to see the 'past' - the production of that seemed a bit ...tacky? Is that the right word?

The HoG element was fine, if a bit ...too easy (even on 'expert' mode). Perhaps this all has a bit to do with the fact that MCF have become more adventure games than HoG games, so we are expecting more than the traditional HoG element.

...so, yeah Bit of a let-down for me. But as many others have said - it is partly because the bar is so high. I've played the other titles time and again (even knowing what will happen), because they are still that good. Shadow Lake isn't a game I feel inspired to play again (rather like the first two MCF games). It is fine as a stand-alone, or compared to 'lesser' games. But...I think we just expect so much from MCF because they are such quality games. And this one just didn't grab me.

...I think I might go play 13th Skull again.

deebers2u
Seahorse
Seahorse
35 Posts

[Post New]by deebers2u on Dec 17, 12 1:37 PM

Dear MCF:

You do realize this is a game, right?

Just checking.

Graphics A+
Acting A
Story A-
Music A-
Game play D-

- Not enough interesting puzzles
- Not enough interactivity such as rewards, achievements, etc.
- Not enough extras for a Collector's Edition experience
- Not enough innovation

Summary: You can only get so far with pretty pictures. If the play isn't there, the game isn't worth it.

[Post New]by Whosyerfish23 on Dec 18, 12 2:33 AM
I've played this game a dozen times now, just to be really sure of my opinions before I submit a review of this game. Here they are:

Pros
- Liked the HO format of more than one location/room (5 stars)
- Game graphics excellent--set the mood well
- MO throughout the game (5 stars)
- Acting well done
- Visual SG okay--the same in any language
- Game plays well like you'd expect from BFG

Cons
- Stop with the jumping 'Wheel of Inventory'--its very annoying!
- Floating video puzzle is just a mouse exercise--not a brain puzzle--stop it!
- Same puzzle at the end of each segment (Is that all you've got?)
- Not enough HO scenes
- Not enough brainteaser puzzles
- Too much TV and not enough game
- I'm a Master Detective! Not an errand boy! Let me solve the case MY way!
- The same cycle of events repeated a dozen times?--UGH!!
- No Top Ten Times list
- No Achievements list
- No separate Bonus Chapter at end of game
- I miss the MD's notes & comments--just a task list

As you can tell from the above, I'm disappointed with this MCF. For anyone who hasn't figured it out the psychic 'readings' were just a tool to give us the backstory--but I don't buy these games in order to watch TV. This a very structured HOPA game with a lot of TV like 13th Skull, which I don't like. Let me wander around on my own and figure out what to do next by myself. Having said all that, Shadow Lake is a good game--just not what we've come to expect from this series.

My MCF Rankings:

# 1 - Return to Ravenhearst
2 - Dire Grove
3 - Escape From Ravenhearst
4 - Madame Fate
5 - Ravenhearst
6 - 13th Skull
7 - Shadow Lake
8 - Prime Suspects
9 - Huntsville

[Post New]by MasterDetective9 on Dec 18, 12 6:07 AM
A MCF fan, I have been playing since Huntsville.

Although I like all the adventure that has been added since the original hidden object scenes, please don't stray too far from those alltogether.

This game was better than the others in terms of navigation as we had the map options at all times. Was very helpful when I kept forgetting my ladder!

It was shame that we always had to go back to Cassandra but it was a nice twist to standard hidden objects.

I played in Expert mode and I still didn't get too stuck. Are you making it easier, or am I outgrowing these?

Good game though, albeit a bit scary! Especially the wife!!!

Whens the next one

[Post New]by MasterDetective9 on Dec 18, 12 6:09 AM
Whosyerfish23 wrote:I've played this game a dozen times now, just to be really sure of my opinions before I submit a review of this game. Here they are:

Pros
- Liked the HO format of more than one location/room (5 stars)
- Game graphics excellent--set the mood well
- MO throughout the game (5 stars)
- Acting well done
- Visual SG okay--the same in any language
- Game plays well like you'd expect from BFG

Cons
- Stop with the jumping 'Wheel of Inventory'--its very annoying!
- Floating video puzzle is just a mouse exercise--not a brain puzzle--stop it!
- Same puzzle at the end of each segment (Is that all you've got?)
- Not enough HO scenes
- Not enough brainteaser puzzles
- Too much TV and not enough game
- I'm a Master Detective! Not an errand boy! Let me solve the case MY way!
- The same cycle of events repeated a dozen times?--UGH!!
- No Top Ten Times list
- No Achievements list
- No separate Bonus Chapter at end of game
- I miss the MD's notes & comments--just a task list

As you can tell from the above, I'm disappointed with this MCF. For anyone who hasn't figured it out the psychic 'readings' were just a tool to give us the backstory--but I don't buy these games in order to watch TV. This a very structured HOPA game with a lot of TV like 13th Skull, which I don't like. Let me wander around on my own and figure out what to do next by myself. Having said all that, Shadow Lake is a good game--just not what we've come to expect from this series.

My MCF Rankings:

# 1 - Return to Ravenhearst
2 - Dire Grove
3 - Escape From Ravenhearst
4 - Madame Fate
5 - Ravenhearst
6 - 13th Skull
7 - Shadow Lake
8 - Prime Suspects
9 - Huntsville

AGREE!

[Post New]by Barbie1979 on Dec 20, 12 12:57 AM
Overall, I liked the game. However, I did not like the way the strategy guide worked and I did not like that you had to unlock the morphing objects by completing the bonus level. By the time I got the stupid safe unlocked I was done with the game and the thrill of finding the morphing objects that I usually get was gone. I still ended up searching for all of them and getting them but it wasn't the same as it is with all the other MCF games. The purpose for me buying the collectors editions of games is because it allows you to have morphing objects and to find them.

Actually there are now 3 MCF games that I did not absolutely love, Madame Fate, Huntsville and Shadow Lake were not like the rest which were ones I had a fabulous time with.

[Post New]by chl1019 on Dec 22, 12 10:03 AM
Sadly, I found this game to be disappointing. The hand-holding and having to go back and forth with Lea Thompson's character made it less enjoyable. I bought this game as a "buy tomorrow's game today" because I could not wait to play it, and I finished it in less than an hour on the hardest setting. I am definitely ready for another game that is as challenging as 13th Skull. That was the last MCF game to really challenge me and allow me to "feel like a detective." Having a character constantly tell me where to go is no fun. Ready for a new game that will again, challenge us MCF fans who have been around since the beginning (I have all 9 games) and are ready for a real challenge. Maybe show us that you love us around Valentines Day? Or warm up our affection for you this summer?

Tomsde
Guppy
Guppy
132 Posts

[Post New]by Tomsde on Dec 23, 12 10:57 PM
I have always been a big fan of the Mystery Case Files series from the beginning. I have played every PC game except for Escape from Ravenhurst which I was afraid would be too disturbing to me. I liked this game and feel it's been the best MCFs since Dire Grove. I've noticed that after Madam Fate that the games got much harder; I think they are the most challenging games I've ever played.

What I liked: the graphics, music and storyline. The storyline was very familiar--but at least I didn't have to rescue a child, spouse, or friend.

What I didn't like: the game wasn't really ready for prime time when it was released---extra hidden object scenes were added later. The strategy guide gave you hints to solutions in many case, but didn't always tell you how to get out of a situation--I had to find on online walkthrough to find out how to onlock the bonus content. I don't think that's right, if one finishes the main game one shouldn't just be able to access the extra content without any problems. There is no collectible souindtrack--I miss that.

I'm playing the bonus material now, I may not stick with it. I dislike morphing objects and it's taken me a long time to get through the entire game as a whole.

And oh, I still miss the Cirme Computer.

Edited on 12/23/2012 at 10:58:05 PM PST

[Post New]by babadgirl on Dec 24, 12 7:39 AM
This game has me torn between loving it and hating it. I really liked that it was different in many ways but unfortunately felt that many of those ways didn't work at all. The SG was terrible. I liked the idea of matching the drawings but the annoying large yellow dot in the middle of the drawing often impeded me seeing what it was supposed to be. The graphics were stunning and the live action was short enough that it didn't have time to annoy me. Some of the HO items were simply too small and not clear enough. The idea of the video puzzle cube was great but the fact that the pieces kept knocking around really got old quickly and by the end I hated them. Great having the bonus chapter available early on but to hide the morphing unlock there without knowing made it too easy to leave that until the end of the game and then have to backtrack to find the 50 items. No bueno.
Great concept with some really good ideas but not really well executed for too many of them to make this unquestionably a great game.

[Post New]by smellnroses2 on Dec 26, 12 4:53 AM
JellyRage wrote:I have loved all of the Mystery Case Files, and this one was no disappointment. I easily played until the end without getting bored!
that's because the game didn't last that long. was shortest of all mcf games. only took a few hrs. to finish this game instead of few dys the other mcf games took. very, very disappointed in this game

vthecat
Seahorse
Seahorse
24 Posts

[Post New]by vthecat on Dec 26, 12 9:57 PM
Hated it. I wish I hadn't spent the money, but it was MCF. I should have let last year's experience guide me. I didn't care for last year's game either.

BJ49
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
10 Posts

[Post New]by BJ49 on Dec 29, 12 11:26 PM
Yikes! How in the world did this game earn the title of Game of the Year? It has only 2 1/2 stars, as does the SE version! Really? Game of the Year? Really???? No collectibles, no morphing objects, and on top of that, a very boring game! Come on BFG, this must be an early April Fool's joke, I know you can do better than this, there have been games in 2012 that beat this one hands down! What gives??? So sorry for the negativity, but this is so disappointing. I adore the Mystery Case Files, but feel this one wasn't even in the running with the others. Even the last 2 MCF games were better than this one, and they weren't that good. Please make this go away!

mrwritesf
Seahorse
Seahorse
31 Posts

[Post New]by mrwritesf on Dec 30, 12 12:02 PM
SPOILERS AHEAD!!!!!!!!

I own every MCF game since "Return to Ravenhearst" and can't help but feel that this one is the weakest of the bunch. I don't mind that the writers had their tongues firmly implanted in their cheeks when they CAST this game--"Nick Talon" is a SCREAM and Lea Thompson is believable even if SHE isn't taking it seriously. The music isn't overbearing and the story progresses nicely, giving the player JUST enough information to progress to the next sequence.

As for what I can't get my head around:

1. Shadow Lake doesn't figure into the game until the very end and only briefly so why the title?
2. That the HO scenes are scattered throughout whole rooms is an interesting departure from previous games, but something about the artwork / contrast makes the objects VERY difficult to find.
3. The psychic reading puzzles were an interesting twist, but they DROVE ME BONKERS!!!!!!!! It's not they're difficult to solve in and of themselves--it's that the puzzle pieces float about so much that you spend more time struggling with your mouse than you do solving the puzzle.
4. The bonus scene (CE version only) was a phoned-in disappointment with no hints given and the strategy guide coming up empty. Many other HO / puzzle games allow the player to click on morphing objects during regular game play; creating an entire bonus level out of them with an empty reward at the end led me to believe I was just wasting my time.

I guess not EVERY game can be great, but the MCF series was on such a positive trajectory; it's easy to see that this is a bit of a backslide.

Go to: