apteryx
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
11 Posts

Re:Mystery Case Files: Return to Ravenhearst ™ - Mac Version Updates

[Post New]by apteryx on Jun 20, 09 1:33 AM
Ooh, thank you! It's gorgeous!

A couple of things: It changed my desktop image to the default one, and then it quit unexpectedly at an early stage (after I had read the plate to the left of the gate). But since Madame Fate quits unexpectedly all the time, sometimes saving my progress and sometimes not, I never expected it not to quit -- just hoping I'll get past those gates at some point ;-)

[edited to add: excellent, it started at the point where it quit. I'm happy then! ]

Edited on 06/20/2009 at 1:36:12 AM PST

werdeee
Squid
Squid
61 Posts

[Post New]by werdeee on Jun 20, 09 1:39 AM
Oh, but this is such a gorgeous game. I am enthralled! It's everything I'd hoped it would be. It's 3:30 in the morning and I can't think of a single reason to quit and go to bed.

Did it crash on me? So far, only once and it took me right back to where I'd left off, so no biggie at all. I don't care about that or the full screen thing or any other minor bugs. I'm absolutely delighted that you released this in time for us to have a shot at the sale price.

Thank you so much, BFG, for all the work you do.

arkinese
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
11 Posts

[Post New]by arkinese on Jun 20, 09 2:40 AM
THANK YOU! The wait was worth it and I'm so excited to have this game. You have won me back as a Game Club user the way Griffey continued to win back Seattle fans last night with his two-run game-tying homer (and I use this analogy because I know you guys are located in Seattle). Looking forward all the Mac games in the future. You guys rock.

[Post New]by chalkie55uk on Jun 20, 09 8:30 AM
mindless23 wrote:IT'S UP, IT'S UP, IT'S UP!!! And in time for the sale!

Thanks, BigFish!

Good Grief! I just saw this and I almost collapsed. There I was doing my usual checking and mumbling as I read everyones posts and hurrah - it's downloading as I type.

Far too excited, that's the rest of my weekend written off...! Thanks to everyone who has written in the last few months, i'm glad i'm not the only hidden object groupie!

rscb
Seahorse
Seahorse
22 Posts

[Post New]by rscb on Jun 20, 09 8:54 AM
Hi,
First of all, Thanks for all the progress updates you've given us.......it's greatly appreciated.
However, I have a problem (which I can work around) with the game opening in window screen.
The problem I can't work with is that the progress IS NOT saved! I was up until 3:30 a.m. playing and
this morning it's all gone!!! Very frustrating and disappointing, to say the least!!!
Before anyone asks, yes, I have verified/repaired permissions, my sys. updates are current, and I've trashed
the game and reinstalled the game...same thing happens, the game progress is not saved!!!!

Anyone else have this problem???

Thanks,
rscb

shorenuf
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,281 Posts

[Post New]by shorenuf on Jun 20, 09 9:46 AM
rscb wrote:Hi,
First of all, Thanks for all the progress updates you've given us.......it's greatly appreciated.
However, I have a problem (which I can work around) with the game opening in window screen.
The problem I can't work with is that the progress IS NOT saved! I was up until 3:30 a.m. playing and
this morning it's all gone!!! Very frustrating and disappointing, to say the least!!!
Before anyone asks, yes, I have verified/repaired permissions, my sys. updates are current, and I've trashed
the game and reinstalled the game...same thing happens, the game progress is not saved!!!!

Anyone else have this problem???

Thanks,
rscb

Did you try this -- go to your users/home/Library/Preferences/mcf_rave2 and trash the pData folder. Restart your Mac for good measure.

Not sure it will work for RTR, but when what you described happened to me with Azada 1, that was all I had to do. I did not have to reinstall the game, but you might want to reinstall RTR again after you toss the pref folder to be on the safe side.

As for the ful screen/window mode . . .

Keeping full screen mode and/or avoiding the desktop menu showing over the game . . .

Odd as it sounds, I avoid those problems by keeping the icon for the game in the dock. Start the game. If it is in full screen mode, go to options and de-select it. Now, in window mode, go to the dock icon and choose keep in dock. Put the game back in full screen mode. If you are still seeing the menu bar, quit the game. Whenever you restart the game, use the dock icon. The game should open in full screen mode, ready to play.

Hope that helps!

Edited on 06/20/2009 at 9:52:53 AM PST

[Post New]by DivaBlueDog on Jun 20, 09 11:37 AM
Having fun with this one! I remember some of you raving about this one - and sure enough, its great!

Thank you!

[Post New]by munkyboy on Jun 20, 09 12:37 PM
If this is the finished product for Mac, can someone explain to me why
I have bars of coloured pixels flashing across the screen ALL the time?

iMac 2Ghz PPC
OS X 10.4.11
2GB RAM

[Post New]by cemreakin on Jun 20, 09 2:01 PM
my game isn't saving either...

thanks shorenuf, I tried what you said, accept it is located at
users/home/Library/Preferences/BigFishGames/MCFReturntoRavenhearst and there is no "pData" folder

actually there is nothing in that folder...

no matter how many time i restart the game, no pData folder is created anywhere...

i never had this problem with the other games i'm playing, so does anyone have a suggestion???

shorenuf
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,281 Posts

[Post New]by shorenuf on Jun 20, 09 2:18 PM
cemreakin wrote:my game isn't saving either...

thanks shorenuf, I tried what you said, accept it is located at
users/home/Library/Preferences/BigFishGames/MCFReturntoRavenhearst and there is no "pData" folder

actually there is nothing in that folder...

no matter how many time i restart the game, no pData folder is created anywhere...

i never had this problem with the other games i'm playing, so does anyone have a suggestion???

I realize there is a folder in the BFG preference folder for RTR, but there is a standalone one further down in the home/Library/Preferences folder. Scroll down to the mcf_rave2 folder, the pData folder is inside it.

I have screen shot of the path to the pData folder, but do not know how to post it here. PM me with your e mail address and I will be glad to send it.

Edited on 06/20/2009 at 2:41:49 PM PST

shorenuf
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,281 Posts

[Post New]by shorenuf on Jun 20, 09 2:54 PM
munkyboy wrote:If this is the finished product for Mac, can someone explain to me why
I have bars of coloured pixels flashing across the screen ALL the time?

iMac 2Ghz PPC
OS X 10.4.11
2GB RAM

The developers noted "We have found that the game works best on the newer Intel Macs. But we will do our very best to help Power PC users to get the game running if you are having trouble with the game."

If you are a club member you can use their live help Monday -Friday, or any player can e mail customer support using the green envelope on this page.

rscb
Seahorse
Seahorse
22 Posts

[Post New]by rscb on Jun 20, 09 9:44 PM
Well, I still have the same problems with the screen size and the game not being saved.
I discovered that the hint button doesn't work either!!
This was on my MacBook Pro- intel.

I thought what the heck, I'll try the game on my PowerBook G4
Guess what? The game won't go into the full size screen but it doe save the progress!!!
And the hint button works!

So I guess I'll be playing the game on my older machine....so much for them saying it
will work better on an intel based machine....

I've sent an email to tech support..I'll let you know what they say.

Thanks for all your suggestions...
rscb

[Post New]by nancythesleuth on Jun 21, 09 3:08 AM
OK with the sale going on I can't say no to this game!! Thanks BFG!!

[Post New]by senorapa on Jun 21, 09 6:16 AM
Just bought this game happily looking forward to playing. But I got "Director Player error" messages. Apparently I need some things in my "Xtras Folder". I have NO IDEA what this is or how to get it (them). Any help or advice eagerly awaited! THanks in advance.

shorenuf
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,281 Posts

[Post New]by shorenuf on Jun 21, 09 7:39 AM
senorapa wrote:Just bought this game happily looking forward to playing. But I got "Director Player error" messages. Apparently I need some things in my "Xtras Folder". I have NO IDEA what this is or how to get it (them). Any help or advice eagerly awaited! THanks in advance.

My suggestion would be to trash the game and download it again.

[Post New]by tuco12 on Jun 21, 09 8:41 AM
OK, got the full screen issue resolved (thank you, shorenuf!!) but am having a problem with a slow and jumpy mouse - maddening! Anyone have any ideas for this?

[Post New]by lucretiadecoy on Jun 21, 09 9:12 AM
Hi all,

Any help would be much appreciated: I have been trying to play this game several times now, and the game data is not saving and the hint button is not working (I noticed a few other people have mentioned this too). I tried looking for that pData file, but can't find it, there is no mcfrave2 folder in my Preferences folder, the only folder relating to this game is in the bigfishgames folder and it is empty.

Very frustrating, I love this series of games, and played for several hours the first time around only to lose all my progress

mindless23
Guppy
Guppy
169 Posts

[Post New]by mindless23 on Jun 21, 09 12:31 PM
The only issues I'm having with this game are that the soundtrack doesn't sync with the written text, and it occasionally crashes unexpectedly (it starts up exactly where it crashed, though). I am not having the issues any of the others are having...the video runs great, my mouse action is smooth and not jumpy, hint button works, my data saves, and though it starts in windowed, I can immediately change it to full-screen. These few bugs are DEFINITELY not enough to keep me from playing the game - it's great! BIG props to BigFish for getting this up in time for us to play at the sale price!

[Post New]by cemreakin on Jun 21, 09 12:39 PM
well, this makes me very very jealous of you mindless23

my progress isn't saved, the hint button never works, the vid\aud sync is horrible
mouse is a little jumpy which makes the troll game almost impossible to pass (and the skip button doesn't work...)

none of this could've stopped me from finishing the game in 24 hours after buying though...

of course my progress is gone, but i didn't make it to the top 10 anyway..
i'll try again once the problem is figured out and do it faster

ps: i don't know if it works for anyone else but if I don't click any other window while the game is starting it starts in full screen

[Post New]by weezer54 on Jun 21, 09 1:08 PM
Does Big Fish have any other games like This one I enjoyed this game and wanted to play more just like it?!!!! I don't have a mac.

Go to: