Re:Mystery Case Files®: Dire Grove™ comments and reviews

[Post New]by sherdelby on Jan 5, 11 3:53 PM
This is one of my favourite games. I enjoyed it very much, in fact so much that I have played it 6 times and will probably play it again and again. The music was beautiful and the scenary was breathtaking lovely and I loved solving all the puzzles. It was this game that made me want to get the rest in this MCF series.

[Post New]by wolffiveclaw on Jan 23, 11 12:58 AM
This was soooo short it wasn't worth the money. I loved the game and graphics and puzzles but it was all over in a couple of hours... and I took my time over it as well. So annoyed about this... I was looking forward to it so much and pppffftttt all gone and money wasted.

Moondusted
Starfish
Starfish
53 Posts

[Post New]by Moondusted on Jan 28, 11 7:46 AM
I just started this games yesterday evening. I finished it this morning & already played it again. Great story line & graphics. Great game all around.

sandebeach
Shark
Shark
10,388 Posts

[Post New]by sandebeach on Jan 30, 11 3:19 PM
I just replayed MCF Dire Grove this afternoon, tried not using the walkthrough and it took me several hours. This is absolutely one of my favorite games, MUCH better than MCF 13 Skulls, particularly in regards to the actors and also to the story line. I hope the next MCF game is as good as this one!

Shevyron
Clownfish
Clownfish
517 Posts

[Post New]by Shevyron on Feb 21, 11 4:44 PM
I know, I know - but i've only just got this game
AND IT IS AMAZING
that is the best game i've played, and i can now see why there where so many complaints about 13th skull. 13th skull really isn't in the same playing field.
I was at time properly scared, and did jump when i found the first student.
Also managed it without a walkthrough
truly a great game

[Post New]by Cindel221 on Feb 23, 11 12:49 PM
Excellent. I'm so glad this one lived up to the hype! Loved the live actors and the story was very suspenseful. One of my faves! Will be playing this one again sometime!

[Post New]by hszlav on Mar 14, 11 1:28 PM
After finishing this game and absolutely loving every minute of it, nothing else quite measures up Any suggestions for games that are even close to as awesome as Dire Grove??

nabsuc
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
464 Posts

[Post New]by nabsuc on Mar 15, 11 8:14 AM
Hi,
Glad you enjoyed Dire Grove I dont know if you have downloaded the 13th Skull but I found that even better you should give it a try I bought the game and I love it Also Return to Ravenhearst was one of my Favourites and If you Like Large File games Syberia is also great I bought Syberia 2 but had alot of problems with it Freezing all the time during play it was such a shame because I found it was better than the first until it started playing up hope I have helped

Meritre
Guppy
Guppy
177 Posts

[Post New]by Meritre on Jun 5, 11 12:59 AM
I didn't like it the first time I tried, but I gave it another chance and was glad that I did. Putting together pieces for the puzzle was fun, the hidden object scenes were good. Got a distinct Blair Witch feel from the videos though. On my "may buy" list.

[Post New]by fraggle66 on Jun 29, 11 8:10 AM
I loved this game, the graphics were fab and the game play was even better, I would like to see more games from the Mystery case files crew, The puzzles were hard but not impossible it makes you work your brain. More of the same please

chelogirl
Lobster
Lobster
99 Posts

[Post New]by chelogirl on Jul 12, 11 10:10 AM
I read lot of review and I want to try it now.

homesong
Starfish
Starfish
58 Posts

[Post New]by homesong on Jul 20, 11 10:42 AM
I had said that my all-time favorite video games was Syberia. Now that I' ve played this, I'm not so sure! Make it a tie. This is an extremely good game. I didn't check at the end of the game, but I know it took well over 8 hours to finish, and would have taken longer if there hadn't been a "Skip" feature. I only had to skip 2 of the puzzles, but the option was much appreciated. I also didn't need the UHS hints TOO often...so the difficulty level was just about right for this 65 year old guy.
The blend of animation and live film was also a wonderful element.
What more can I say? I LOVED this game, and highly recommend it.
(Has anyone played both versions, and is the Collector's Edition something you would recommend? Would it be worth getting after I've already played this version?)

[Post New]by Blooming_Lilac on Aug 8, 11 10:42 AM
I really enjoyed this game. It was nice to play something that I couldn't solve in 6 or 7 hours. (I've only played it once. I enjoyed reading all the notes in the detective's journal. I don't use a strategy guide and I only use walk-throughs when I'm completely stumped. It's more fun to just take my time and check everything out in certain scenes so I don't miss anything I may have overlooked the first time.)

The graphics were spectacular and playing the game kept me entertained although I did get aggravated with myself when I went through some of the steps out of order. Haha! This led to a lot of going back to the same locations over and over, but that's okay.

I only wish there were more MCF games for my PC. This is my favorite game so far. I highly recommend it.

Possible Spoilers:

Did any of you think the tapes had a Blair Witch Project element/likeness to them? I also noticed that part of the music sounded like John Carpenter's original score for Halloween 1978.

Audiohawk
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
11 Posts

[Post New]by Audiohawk on Aug 13, 11 11:35 PM
I was so impressed with "Return to Ravenhearst" that I had to see if the Big Fish Studio team had topped it with the next installment. They definitely did! The music is expertly produced and evocative of the chilly atmosphere. The ambient sounds are seamlessly integrated with the visuals - as snow blows across the screen you hear the wind pick up. This is the standard to which every other developer should be aspiring. I can't wait to try "13th Skull!"

[Post New]by jlsPinkBunny on Aug 30, 11 8:16 AM
LOVED IT LOVED IT LOVED IT! sets a new standard. thanks big fish games!

addieh
Minnow
Minnow
214 Posts

[Post New]by addieh on Sep 17, 11 7:16 PM
I've only played the first 1/2 hour of the game and LOVE IT!
The graphics rock and the creepy music and real VHS tapes really add to the storyline and make it almost believeable.
I love anything Celtic which is why I bought the game and so far am not disappointed.
~gives a thumbs up~

FlatSlewFoot
Narwhal
Narwhal
34,559 Posts

[Post New]by FlatSlewFoot on Sep 17, 11 7:17 PM
Agree with all who love it...my favorite game bar none.

hunny89
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
13 Posts

[Post New]by hunny89 on Oct 31, 11 6:55 PM
I loved this game when I first played it years ago. As an experienced gamer who has most of BFG's games, this is in my best top 5 for content, length, mix of type of puzzles, artwork, storyline, etc. I didn't understand why I saw it a while ago as new on BFG, but then realized that I must have first played it through the designer's site, and it was new to Big Fish; however, it seems to be being presented as a new game again...and I really don't understand that! Puppetshow: Mystery of Joyville, which is being presented this week is also not new...what gives?

laurakay76
Guppy
Guppy
195 Posts

[Post New]by laurakay76 on Nov 10, 11 12:49 AM
Just finished - couldn't put it down, so to speak. I found the puzzles engaging and the storyline compelling, but I was kind of disappointed by the ending. It seemed rather anticlimactic and not entirely believable. That was my only real complaint, though, everything else was very good; so much better than Ravenhearst, which I didn't particularly enjoy at all. I'm going to have to try this one again with the "Snarky" comments turned on, just to see how that goes.

marker117
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
12 Posts

[Post New]by marker117 on Nov 13, 11 12:26 PM
Dire Grove is the reason I keep up my Big Fish account. I love this game. I play it about once a month just because it's what I love in a game. I could bore you to death with all of the reasons I love it. Even if this is not your type of game, give it a try.

Go to: