Please post your REVIEWS for Lost Souls: Timeless Fables Collector's Edition here

[Post New]by pondprowler on May 8, 14 12:32 AM
A thread for your reviews!

Edited on 05/08/2014 at 8:53:21 AM PST

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Lost Souls: Timeless Fables Collector's Edition here

[Post New]by JustTheFacts on May 8, 14 2:54 AM
Better Than The First****

BASED ON DEMO

FIRST IMPRESSIONS
I was very pleased and surprised to see this game. The original Lost Souls game seems to have been released eons ago, and I’d never hoped to see a sequel. It was lovely and a little different but a tad childlike.

This is a good following game, faithful the feel and structure of the first game, with a bit more maturity in presentation. In story terms it is an independent game, though, so you need not be familiar with “Enchanted Paintings”.

SIGHTS & SOUNDS
The opening cut scenes have graphics that are very good quality, but dark and the art is inconsistent. The images of characters change enough to be distracting. Yet throughout the rest of the demo the graphics and art are wonderful. I love the initial cut scene of the library and the book that is causing all the trouble.

Throughout, the art is detailed, precise and lovely, although it maintains its darker qualities. Even the HOPs are dark – too dark for many I’d guess – in part. Some portion of each scene will be illuminated but not all.

The voices are very good, and the lips do not move in any attempt at lip synch. The music is good, nothing special, though. Plenty of ambient sounds and special effects to keep you in the mood. *grin*

WHAT’S HAPPENING?
Your archaeologist brother finds a rare artifact and disappears. You are having nightmares about him entering a portal, and you think you know where you can find answers. In a strange book at your brother’s (?) library.

Upon attempting to open it, you watch the medallion shatter into 5 books. You enter the first one, The Call Of Cthulhu. Which, you soon discover, is about a tentacled monstrosity terrorising the town of Innsmouth.

This is my favourite game storyline – entering a number of completely different locations via a book (painting, door) - but best of all, when the stories/fables are well known. I have, thanks to other games, seen Cthulhu before, but had no notion it was a well known tale. The others, though, will be recognised by all, I think. Robinson Crusoe, Jack The Ripper, The Three Musketeers, and Titanic.

GAMEPLAY
This is the reason I am so pleased and surprised to see this game keep to the original game structure. It was always a bit unusual. Within each world of the book, we play an interactive HOG, rather than the now more popular HOPA. But this is not all about HOPs.

Each 'book' has several smaller locations for you to travel in, at your choice for the most part, although an announcement will be made if you have completed the tasks in that sub-locale. Inside each of these, you sometimes find a couple of rooms as well, so the structure of the game has a vertical, pyramid-like feel to it.

In these locations, you will need to find certain items, by finding them lying around, getting them as a gift or reward from a character, on completion of a fairly simple puzzle, or as a result of a HOP.

The HOPs are both interactive word lists and picture lists. Each is visited twice, once for each type. They are fairly tricky, because the lighting is restricted to only part of the scene. My advice, when stuck, look up – all the really difficult to see items seem to hang out together up there in the shadows!

Each book is self-contained, but you do have a map which you need to travel to the locations, and which gives you the number of items still needed to be found in there. There is a directional hint and a notebook to help.

And two degrees of difficulty. Fair enough, too, because this is not a game that could ever appeal to the “make it harder” players.

Gradually, you work your way around the locales until you have found and used all the items. You then receive the portion of the medallion for that book and move on.

CE BLING!
Don’t really know a thing about this, as it is all locked up. BUT. The 5th book – Titanic – is locked. Does this mean this world will only be offered in the CE? I fear so, and because there are 5 pieces of the medallion, that means the game will not be completed unless you have the CE. Not just that the story won’t be as satisfying. That the whole darned game will be incomplete! A truly heinous crime by the developers and Big Fish if true.

There are achievements of the performance kind, displayed in a cabinet in your ‘trophy room’. As well, you can buy trophies (souvenirs) with the gold coins you find everywhere, including in HOPs.

COMBINED IMPACT
I dislike the fact that I can’t see a sample of the CE extras, but it’s a beautiful game and I imagine the art will be too. I REALLY dislike the idea that the SE may not be enough to finish the game (for the 2nd time this week!?). However, it is a great game, a bit different, a little light weight, and so I willing to wait for someone to complete the game to decide if I will buy it as SE, CE or not at all as a protest.

I (hope I) recommend this game!

kjos
Squid
Squid
79 Posts

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Lost Souls: Timeless Fables Collector's Edition here

[Post New]by kjos on May 8, 14 6:20 AM
to many HOPs. for me. I really liked this game. Some gamers like a lot of HOPs. I don't.
Richard

housebound
Salmon
Salmon
2,568 Posts

[Post New]by housebound on May 8, 14 8:02 AM
I thought this was a CE game .

bfgWendwater
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,911 Posts

[Post New]by bfgWendwater on May 8, 14 8:42 AM
Hello Everyone,

Welcome to the reviews thread! Please feel free to post your thoughts and feedback on Lost Souls: Timeless Fables Collector's Edition here. We appreciate the time you take to put your reviews together, and I know other gamers and the developers do as well. We just have a few guidelines to keep in mind when posting. Our goal with these is to keep the thread tidy, easy to navigate and helpful.

Review Guidelines

1) Be sure to keep your reviews on-topic. Reviews in this thread should only be commenting on Lost Souls: Timeless Fables Collector's Edition.
2) Be respectful of the reviewers. Please keep in mind our Forum Rules and be respectful of our reviewers. They take the time to post here to be helpful. Please do not review the reviews of others.
3) Do not respond to someone else’s reviews with questions or comments If you have any feedback about a review, or you feel that a review contains incorrect details about the game, please contact the poster directly via PM.
4) Do not review developers. While we do appreciate your feedback, we’d ask that you keep your posts in this thread dedicated to the specific game at hand.

*Moderators will be removing any content in this thread that is not a review.

If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to PM one of our Moderators.

bfgWendwater

troischats
Lobster
Lobster
89 Posts

[Post New]by troischats on May 8, 14 9:05 AM
Perhaps it's because we've been spoiled recently with a number of really high quality games, but this game feels a little flat. The 'Extras' are wallpapers, screensavers and soundtrack - possibly exciting for some people, but not for me, I'm afraid. The 'collections' are simply coins that you pick up in each scene, which "buy" items in a room. For me, there is no "pizazz" in this game. As a standalone SE, it would probably be quite acceptable. It feels as though the game has been stretched out as little as possible to quantify the CE name - and price tag.

The map doesn't tell you where things need to be done, only how many things are left to be done in each scene (i.e. "Museum - 17"). It doesn't mean you can do them all immediately, though! Sometimes the game - frustratingly - tells you to go to the map, and other times you're left to work it out for yourself. At least there's only a minimum number of places to go back and forth.

The puzzles I have encountered so far were incredibly simple - so simple I probably put in more time thinking about them, wondering if there was a trick somewhere. Nope! And so far the HOGs have also been pretty straightforward - in a few of them, I found all the items in about a minute or so. At least most of the items aren't microscopic!

I agree with Just the Facts in that I love games where you have different "worlds" to explore. For me it keeps a game very fresh and new. This is one of the positives of the game here.

It does appear that the fifth book - "Titanic" - is the bonus chapter. I've not finished the main game yet, so don't know whether the game will be wrapped up without it, or whether - as some have said - completion of the bonus chapter is necessary to finish the game in its entirety. If this is the case, what on earth will happen when the SE comes out?*

EDITED TO ADD: I've just completed the main game, and there are only 4 pieces of the 'amulet' (i.e. 4 books) needed to get a conclusion. The 5th book (Titanic) is standalone, and not needed to complete the game. I did LOL though, because the Titanic book is (spoiler): based on the film, with "Jack" and "Rose"!!! (spoiler ends)

Edited on 05/11/2014 at 3:11:30 AM PST

shripch
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,952 Posts

[Post New]by shripch on May 8, 14 11:51 AM
I've played the full trial period, and now I have to decide to buy or not. I'm enjoying the game, but like so many others, I don't think this is a CE. It's a good SE! Not enough reasons for the extra money, but if we get a good sale this weekend, I'll buy.
And the comments about the cheesy monsters are so right on the money! They're funny! Don't think they're intended that way, but it makes it fun when they pop up.
I like traveling to different time periods and places, so that will be interesting. Just won't buy today.

[Post New]by biscuitsmama on May 8, 14 11:53 AM
In this game you play as Bella, and as the story begins (and I say story because this is definitely a HO game and not a true HOPA game) you are having nightmares about your brother Stan who is missing and you see that he has disappeared into an ancient book. Of course, you now know where to find him and off you go.

Although the graphics are very good they are rather old school and not exceptional. In fact there is nothing exceptional about the entire game only an old school HO game where we visit locations and complete scene, after scene, after scene. You get the idea – and unfortunately there is nothing exciting here. If you happen to like games that are HOS heavy, then this game may just be your cup of tea.

You have a diary or journal but I didn’t find it very helpful, it mainly just recaps your progress. What I did use all of the time, and that is because it is necessary to move around in the game, is the map.

The HOS are standard list or the type where you locate the object pictured in the bar somewhere in the scene. Very minimal interaction is required. You will find coins scattered throughout the game and they are in the HOS as well. There are mini puzzles but nothing exceptional.

I have no idea why this game was released as a CE because, IMHO, there is nothing CE worthy about it. The included SG is really unnecessary for gamers who are familiar with the genre.

Although I did purchase the game because I was bored today and had a good sale coupon, I would say don’t bother. I think the big disappointment may come when those of you who wait for the SE do not get the final chapter of the game that is included as the bonus chapter for this game. All in all, I cannot honestly say that this is more than a game to fill some time when there is nothing better to do. I can only recommend this game for beginners who might love it but for those of us who have seen and played some exceptional CE games, I would say don’t waste your time or money. I know that we all have very different tastes in games but it would be a travesty to rate the game as a 5-star game just to have my review posted first on the game page! As always, I recommend that you at least try the demo to see if this is a game you will like.

tesamoine
Herring
Herring
387 Posts

[Post New]by tesamoine on May 8, 14 2:02 PM
I am in agreement with the post by biscuitsmama This is an extremely easy game. You only have 2 choices of play and with the harder one also comes the click penalty. The game is very child like and a non thinking game. It also, by no means, warrants being a CE. I will NOT buy a game for $7 more just to receive an ending to the game. The graphics did not bother me, as I have applauded games with worth graphics than this one. All in all I found it to be a flat game, maybe good for a beginner. As always, demo for yourself. You may enjoy it

[Post New]by daisyduck352 on May 8, 14 2:40 PM
I enjoyed the game, don't know what is the matter with a lot of fishes.. Think we get a good selection on the games that are out there. It had great puzzles, HOG's were fun and liked the different stories that we will solve. Give this 4 out of 5 stars..

biomix
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,854 Posts

[Post New]by biomix on May 8, 14 4:46 PM
I LOVE THIS GAME!!! For a change I am not all over the map and things make sense. I get to go from one place to the next with my inventory items when I need them. I love that! The graphics are super. I love the story. I love collecting the coins.
I am NOT getting lost. Thank you to the developers of this game. It's right up my alley. I also like the puzzles. I bought it and give 5 stars. Thank you BigFish for bringing us great games.!! there is always a great variety. Something for everyone!

Edited on 05/08/2014 at 5:55:02 PM PST

sunnyglow
Clownfish
Clownfish
804 Posts

[Post New]by sunnyglow on May 8, 14 5:08 PM
"Ho hum, Ho hum, it's back to work I go." (So sorry to the folks at Disney). Yes, I am toiling on work reports which are more fun than this game. So boring - YAWN - I could not make it through the demo. I really can't complain because we have had so many outstanding SE's recently which is strange because I thought BF would like to make money on its games. It is okay with me. I will save money on not purchasing this game and enjoying the recent SE's. Poor H. P. Lovecraft. I feel for you in the afterlife with the "Great Old Ones." I imagine it must be agonizing seeing one your characters, Cthulhu repeatedly rehashed in BF's video games.

You are Bella Smith who has a premonition that something terrible has happened to your brother, Stan. You enter a portal which allows you to enter the scenes from five books, "Call of Cthulhu," "Jack the Ripper," "The Three Musketeers," "Titanic," and "Robinson Crusoe." The first book you enter takes you to the village Ipswich and the ominous presence of the Cthulhu. As you enter each book, I believe you get close to locating your missing brother.

This game will appeal to those who like easy, mindless games. I would say it would appeal to children as well - but I don't think children would like this game either. This is a game to enjoy when you would like to go "brain dead." It seems to me to be an old school game retrieved from a dusty vault at BF or from this dev. There are only two levels of play. I would expect that all CE caliber games would have at least 3 levels of play. The graphics, to me, are a little dated. Yes - folks - the Fourth of July has arrived early. We have the return of those dreaded "sparkles" and you do not have the ability to turn them off. As someone else has noted, the HOP scenes are junk piles. The inventory appears practically when you need it in the game. The puzzles are very, very easy. This is a very dated game. This is a pass for me. I am still awaiting another great CE. Maybe someday we will have an adventure game CE. That would be so awesome!

Edited on 05/08/2014 at 5:11:21 PM PST

Cookyville
Guppy
Guppy
155 Posts

[Post New]by Cookyville on May 9, 14 8:26 PM
I like this series- but this one falls short of a CE to me

I'll wait for the SE

CookyFish

pegod
Starfish
Starfish
40 Posts

[Post New]by pegod on May 10, 14 1:19 AM
I think too much all day and stress has given me high blood pressure. I thoroughly enjoyed the ease of this game.I bought it after the first chapter. Easy - yes but not boring!! I am going to check out the previous game since so many of you have given it a nod.

MsNetty61
Guppy
Guppy
190 Posts

[Post New]by MsNetty61 on May 10, 14 11:15 AM
OK... another bad dream, another brother/sister/child/parent gone missing/abducted....HELP US DEVS...TRY SOMETHING DIFFERENT GUYS!
i quite liked this at first, but got a bit bored when I had 6 achievements in the first HOG, has potential but wont be buying even with coupons.

HasNazir
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,264 Posts

[Post New]by HasNazir on May 11, 14 6:44 AM
As a huge fan of the 1st Lost Souls (Enchanted Paintings), this is a huge disappointment.

Anyone can say that it was "childlike graphics" in the first, but actually there were excellent graphics in a well thought out scenes and worlds. It was original (where I agree with the previous poster bored with the missing relatives thing). It was mentioned a while ago that quite a lot of games are not replayed. Well this dark, boring game, I don't think if I brought, I would ever replay. I have replayed Lost Souls Enchanted Paintings over 10 times, and enjoy going back there.

As an individual who has promoted Lost Souls Enchanted Paintings many times, I will not be doing so with this. What they have done is no different to what has been done to Snark Busters were the 3rd installment High Society was made into a boring typical hidden objects adventure-perhaps they are going down this route for as they may see it more money. But I think replays of games, originality ie like The Tiny Bang Story is what developers would be remembered for, not going down the status quo. Its a shame we don't have much information on why they choose to go down this route as you can do with movies.

I like to just thank the developers once more for Lost Souls:Enchanted Paintings. For an incredible, brilliant, lovely game. Thank-you.

Edited on 05/11/2014 at 6:45:16 AM PST

[Post New]by onlyfurkids on May 12, 14 1:44 PM
I really enjoyed this game! The hidden objects were fun, varied, and challenging. And the mini-games were perfect. I usually skip them in frustration but these were hard enough to make you think but easy enough that people like me, who have a hard time with most puzzles, could still successfully play them.

I recommend this game without hesitation! I'm planning to see what other games this company produced so I can play those as well.

bessiegirl
Clownfish
Clownfish
738 Posts

[Post New]by bessiegirl on May 12, 14 7:54 PM
Good grief...I'm finally on the Jack the Ripper book and am about to go crazy. This game is nothing but HOS after HOS and worse than that, they are dark and contain small items like ladybugs to find. I find myself just clicking in the dark spots until something is found. Skip is not fast, but not slow to recharge so that helps. I really dislike games that are full of HOS but to make them dark is really a setback. Games take twice as long and my eyes are about to drop out.

Also has a lot of puzzles...some are easy and quick, others slow and tedious. I just skip those. Not a lot of "adventure"...just HOS, then a puzzle, then dialog...arrrrgh.

The transporter map is not that useful...it will show you were you are and that's it. You basically have to take a guess at where to go next unless you have a great memory and can remember where all your inventory items go. I use the hint to move around the most, but at times it will only say the area has nothing and to check that useless map...makes for a very slow, tedious game.

Voice-overs are awful...characters trying to fake accents...ugh. Annimations and graphics are good, but very dark at times. I don't know if I'll even make it to the end of this game without wanting to run screaming from the room, let alone play the Bonus game. So far this game is a 2 out of 5. Totally lacking adventure, basically an exercise in HOS for those that like to do nothing but those. Boring, boring, boring game. I'm glad I got it on sale othewise I would really be upset.

Edited on 05/12/2014 at 7:55:53 PM PST

[Post New]by NancySusan on May 13, 14 2:17 PM
I was looking forward to demoing this game, but it froze my computer. Before that, however, in the opening scenes of Stan and Bella growing up, devs., a Prom is a dance, not a graduation ceremony. As in Junior Prom, Senior Prom. And you don't go to it with your sibling, generally. And not in cap and gown.

steve_san
Clownfish
Clownfish
586 Posts

[Post New]by steve_san on May 20, 14 4:28 PM
Time is on the other side

Besides the errors pointed out by the always sharp-eyed NancySusan (love your eye for detail), there are a couple more.

The brother is drawn with his wristwatch on his right hand in the opening - unusual except for lefty's. More likely: it was drawn by someone looking in a mirror.

Also, the first story takes place in Innsmouth Massachusetts, but the automobile inexplicably has right-hand drive.

This is a relatively easy game that will be enjoyed by ... people who like relatively easy games (and hunting for hidden objects).

Go to: