Is there never a number that's enough?

[Post New]by Chanelnumber5 on May 9, 14 4:45 AM
A what number does the "Gifts' list" turn into the "Greedy list"?

If we are limited by 5 gifts a day, what is a manageable number of friends?

And at what difference in levels does the giving become a one-way street?

I am embarrassed to say that, at level 11, (ok, it was 10 when I started looking for people other than John--see my post on page 38-39 in the PC friends list discussion), I do have friends at level 20+. But I plead beginner's ignorance--I simply got on the PC friend's list, flipped to the end of it to make sure I was getting folks still in the game, and invited five or so without really looking at levels. Ehem . . . at least that the story I'm going with--is there an emote for blush?

But I have had a number of 17+ kindly extend me invitations, and I try earnestly to return gifts when I can. I just wish there was a way to keep up with who gave what, without the excel spreadsheet Louili-- I've got that name wrong, but she is on page 38 of the pc friends' page--suggested.

I just can't bring myself to refuse invites, I would have to track down their big fish player identities to pm them and explain it's nothing personal, it's just that my friends' list is getting too big--but WHEN is it ENOUGH??

I welcome your replies, I am hoping somebody smarter than me (and folks that is not a small group) has come up with a formula . . . or a rationale that I can borrow . . ok, steal since I'm not giving it back .

See ya'll on the game!

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

Is there never a number that's enough?

[Post New]by Valdy on May 9, 14 4:56 AM
Chanelnumber5 wrote:is there an emote for blush?

There you go!!

I have done it wrong to start with. When the game came out, I left my ID number with the ID Number thread. In the end I had 569 friends, because I too didn't want to reject anyone. Of course, I would never have been able to gift them all or even just those who gifted me. Not with a limit of 5 gifts a day to give away.

I now see that the fewer friends on my list, the better, simply so I don't keep feeling guilty every day I don't gift those who gifted me.

In future, if I ever restart the game - stopped now - I will only accept maybe 20 friends. That's a good number to have - not too small, and not too large. Large enough for variety, and small enough to make sure that every 4 days all of them have received a gift from me.

Amerzone
Clownfish
Clownfish
930 Posts

Re:Is there never a number that's enough?

[Post New]by Amerzone on May 9, 14 6:36 AM
I agree, between 20 and 40 is a good number. 5/day leaves you gifting everyone every 4 to 8 days.

I don't think the level that people are at matters. Upper levels know that you can't give them some of their request items and don't expect you to. They should have one simple item on their lists anyway just for that contingency. You'll eventually be at level 14 and 15 where you can make roaring lions and crafty leprechauns to pay them back. It all works out.

Edited on 05/09/2014 at 6:37:28 AM PST

rosiebvt
Manatee
Manatee
4,210 Posts

[Post New]by rosiebvt on May 9, 14 7:04 AM
I think most of us, but by no means all, are happy to give, but there is a tipping point where you gift without acknowlegement where you feel like you're being taken advantage of. (Somehow I think it's related to stress between older females and ungrateful children that's built into our DNA, LOL.) That's why those who think about it put something small like food or stamps on their wishlists as a courtesy to their friends who can't get or need bigger items. Do not feel guilty about not gifting "often enough" or refusing friends. And definitely unfriend people for whatever reason you choose. If you do want to keep track of gifts, it's as simple as paper and pen. I didn't do this for too long and felt guilty (DNA again), so now I at least have a way of spreading the wealth a bit more, and also keeping track of those who may have left the game but not cleared their wishlists. This game is meant to be fun, so don't stress too much. There will be enough of that when you hit level 20 .
Happier gaming!

[Post New]by whitebutterfly54 on May 9, 14 8:37 AM
Everyone handles gifting differently, some people want smaller lists to give more often and some people don't mind the larger lists. I agree with Amerzone, my list is about 40 friends and that's about all I can manage fairly. It doesn't matter to me if someone gifts me or not, I go down the list, five at a time, gifting every day.

As rosie said, just use a pen and paper. That's what I did for a long time. If you have a printer, you can just type a simple table and copy it on the printer as you need to.

With the new addition of the Daily Quests even people on higher levels need items that new players can gift, such as the torch, murderer's eye, eight-pointed star, devil's glove, etc. The only time I have put difficult to craft items on my list was to trade with another player or in attempt to have them appear on the Fortune Wheel. That never worked for me.

Remember....gifting should be fun not stressful.

viki2
Sea Anemone
Sea Anemone
8 Posts

[Post New]by viki2 on May 9, 14 9:29 AM
Rosiebvt - you maid me laugh out loud in the middle of the night with your comment about the guilt built into the female DNA - and thnx for that, I needed it. Woke up my (grateful) daughter though.

Back to subject of gifting. I thought people were putting valuables on the wish list for practicle reasons - already agreed trading (forum) and some other not so practical as wishfull talking into the ear of the fortune wheel. I gifted (by accident) one Monster of Dawn like that (thinking it was Teeth of North). For other valaubles (like the Monster, Astral, etc), I would have finished the new L 22-24 in a blink of an eye if I kept my Bow inventory duplicates and triplicates as some players did. Apart from almost fainting when I saw the new quests and figured out that I gave out everything - and I do mean everything - for free and just for the fun of it, I felt no remorse what so ever and would/will do it again.

I use to empty my wish list when I reached the end of the update and everyone thought I left the game for good. My friends didn't like it (guilt?). Now I have only one item (e.g. stamp) on the second game wish list (L21) to keep the female DNA free of guilt. The main game (L24) wish list is empty. BTW - I never exchange gifts between my games, guess I am an addicted achiever.

With the latest update, traditional wish list and gifting strategies have to change I assume. Everyone knows about the needy greedy Bow Tortures and everyone is looking for exactly the same items - lower levels know they have to keep them, higher levels are all desperate to get them. And the amount of coins needed? Daily quests don't make it easier either- eating lower level item inventory just for a snack. I completed the L 22-24 without any wishes/gifts related to the Bow or feeding the pets (everyone needs pets for coins and the BF needs tons of those). It simply felt stupid to wish for something everyone else needs too.

With all this guilt in wishing, guilt in not gifting (enough)....honestly, I don't know anymore how to approach this topis and haven't figured out yet how to make a good use of the wish list myself. It seems that kind of trading market might be a better (guilt free) way to go. For now, happy to be on L 24 and just give away everything as it comes, including "Monsters" if there are guilt free friends wishing it.

awalkinglady
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,341 Posts

[Post New]by awalkinglady on May 9, 14 9:30 AM
I like to keep my friend list between 35 and 50. It's a number that is manageable for me. And don't forget.....gifting is not an obligation. I never give a gift expecting something in return. The nature of the game results in times that we might have an item on a friends wish list or we might not. I simply gift what I can afford to give......and I truly love those times when I have the ability to surprise someone with an egg or other valuable item!! I know how much it brightens me up to receive an unexpected gift.

AnnaDownes01
Flounder
Flounder
2,175 Posts

[Post New]by AnnaDownes01 on May 10, 14 12:50 AM
My games have over 100 friends. Some have wish lists so I can gift back, some don't have wish lists. My games don't always have wish lists so that I can gift my way through my friends lists.

I like to see the sparkles & receive a gift, but I get more enjoyment out of giving

Cheers,

salsaz
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
490 Posts

[Post New]by salsaz on May 10, 14 1:02 PM
I have around 40-50 friends. I gift to those that I have items that I can afford to give away. If people have sent me items but have hard to get items on their lists, or food items, then I don't gift them back. until their wishlist changes. If someone commonly gifts me then i will go out of my way to gift them back, including items that would be handy to keep. Otherwise it's just pot luck on who has easy to gift items on their wishlist.

aleutcia
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
428 Posts

[Post New]by aleutcia on May 10, 14 5:03 PM
I do exactly what salsaz does. I also have pen and paper list of given and rec'd gifts for each day, pretty simple, no spread sheets! I keep friends down to about 20 with some not having even wishlists. If I gift to someone and they never gift back or their wishlist never changes, it is a pretty good indication they are not playing anymore.

Also, like salsaz does, I go out of my way to gift to people who always gift to me. I got some of my friends by typing in random #'s that were close to my # so I knew they would be around the same level as me. (Didn't know about the forum and couldn't figure any other way to do it.)
Just keep it simple and have fun!!!

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on May 11, 14 12:19 AM
There is an even easier way to keep track of who has gifted you than using pen and paper.

I am using it myself: in your Accessories is something called Sticky Notes. Click on it, and it will pop onto your desktop. You can write as much as you want on it, but still keep it small enough not to get in the way. You can even change the colour.

nananator1
Seahorse
Seahorse
22 Posts

[Post New]by nananator1 on May 11, 14 8:26 AM
Ye Gods!! Well, am I ever a newbie!! I have absolutely no idea what half of these comments and observations mean, let alone try to follow. Anyone else as confused as i am?

rosiebvt
Manatee
Manatee
4,210 Posts

[Post New]by rosiebvt on May 11, 14 12:01 PM
Welcome to the forums and the game, nananator1. If you're new to MC, your best bet is to go to the Strategy Guide thread stickied near the top of this forum. That will tell you everything you'll ever need to know about the game, friending, gifting, and pretty much life in general . We're a friendly bunch for the most part, so if you're still confused and can't find answers, just look through the forum or ask and somebody will have an answer.
Rose

[Post New]by Rclpdc on May 11, 14 1:49 PM
I take a screen shot of what the gift is and who it is from. I delete the screen shots when I return the gift. This also lets me see which people I am exchanging with more often than others and I will try to return their gifts first if I have what they need. However I am newer to the friend portion of the game so this may not work as I get more friends.

[Post New]by Chanelnumber5 on May 17, 14 7:41 PM
Ya'll are all darlings, thank ya'll so much!!! I did do what earlier posts suggested, keeping my list at about 40. And I was writing down my list of gifts to return on a post it note. Then my husband spilled Dr. Pepper on it, and w/o asking me if it was important, threw it away.

So I am going to post an appeal / mea culpa in the forum. Hopefully it will stay on the forum first page long enough for any of my gift givers to see.

So I think I am definitely going with Valdy's idea of sticky notes--the computer kind since the physical ones were not Dr. Pepper proof! Now I have to go back in the game for my number, i can never remember it. There, I hope I got that blush right, and thanks for that info too, Valdy! And oh Rosie! DNA and the generation gap!! Giggle! Snort! Wheeeee! Too cute!

See ya'll on the game, well, not really, but the thought is there!

Chanel

Edited on 05/17/2014 at 7:47:28 PM PST

rosiebvt
Manatee
Manatee
4,210 Posts

[Post New]by rosiebvt on May 17, 14 7:49 PM
Chanel,
I don't think either Big Fish or the devs can help you with the husband problem, otherwise I'd have taken advantage of that long ago, lol. Don't worry too much about your friends, if they're worth anything they'll still be around. I played for 2 1/2 months before I started seriously keeping track of gifting instead of trying to remember who I gifted yesterday. As far as I know, no one unfriended me or made any comments. Have fun, see you in the Castle.

wenmk
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
14 Posts

[Post New]by wenmk on May 19, 14 10:05 AM
Thanks everyone for this thread. I posted under Friends codes that I was having trouble keeping track of all my giftees, who I owed, and how many I should I have. Then I found this thread. It pays to wander around on this forum.

I also am glad to find out that folks have more than one game going. I had trouble with the computer where my main game (wenmk) was and tried to start it on another computer, realizing, of course, that I had to start a new one (wenmk2). Now I have my wenmk computer back and have two games. I only mention this because somehow I thought I was cheating and

A shout out to all my friends on wenmk - You haven't gotten anything from me because of the computer thing and I invited some of you to wenmk2. The wenmk computer is still a little "sick" but I'll be back soon. Meantime you can find me on wenmk2.

Wendy

Go to: