Please post your REVIEWS for Cadenza: Music, Betrayal and Death here

[Post New]by pondprowler on May 11, 14 12:33 AM
A thread for your reviews!

Edited on 05/11/2014 at 8:47:45 AM PST

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Cadenza: Music, Betrayal and Death here

[Post New]by JustTheFacts on May 11, 14 2:48 AM
Best & Most Innovative!*****

BASED ON COMPLETED GAME

They’re the awards I’d be issuing to this breathtakingly new and original game. Not only are the production values of Cadenza utterly top quality, but the features and action are also new or so cleverly revamped you’ll think it’s new.

BEST CHARACTERS
You are an African American woman (the first of an impressive list of firsts!) come home from school at Mardi Gras. Your cabbie is not only the most helpful in the US of A, (so my American fishie friends tell me – you will find out the reason if you are very, very sharp, about 2/3 into the game), but he is also brought to life by the most amazing animation and lip synching I’ve seen. He’s darn close to real.

The other characters are the same. Every character has his/her own accent, interests and obsessions. His own background and motivations. The band members’ story is made involving with a series of original mini-games that reveal new info in an interactive way. The who-dun-it really does require the collection of information and character analysis before the truth is revealed.

BEST SIGHTS & SOUNDS
The graphics are exceptional, and capture the feel of the era, if not a strictly accurate depiction. There is so much to look at! Particularly for a person such as I, who can only imagine the beat and vitality of such an event as Mardi Gras in New Orleans. And the music supplies that beat perfectly. It is so beautifully done, even I started feeling like a jazz fan. With “Minnie The Moocher” running through my head, I felt as though I was really transported to another time and place. And there are actually songs! Sung well!

MOST UNUSUAL STORY
A true mystery – how are the members of Daddy’s old band being targeted and killed? And why? Is Papa not the saint we always thought he was? What’s with Aunt Adele? HOW are these victims being killed exactly? What is the strange music that has sent our father and so many others into a trance. Some of the answers will shock you!

MOST INNOVATIVE GAMEPLAY
In an environment in which players are demanding more and more that’s ‘new’, this game more than answers the demands. Within an almost-familiar structure of HOPs, puzzles, mini-games and adventure, this game delivers the most innovative gameplay you could ask for. The HOPs in particular are “outside the box”. The first one you meet with involves a standard word list, delivered in a unique way with a silhouette ‘replace the object’ list and all of it allowing you to move, not “disappear” the items, to reveal the actual ‘hidden objects’. And it all runs so smoothly, and requires but a little head scratching at the beginning.

That is just the start of a delightful visual experience. There are oodles of mini-HOPs that pop up everywhere, that might require, say finding 5 saxophones in a newspaper article. Or the replacing one out-of-place item in a grey-scale sketch, which in turn reveals one more, and all the time we are learning the history to this drama, and of our father’s band. There is a type of matching pairs game like no other, in which you must move items to reveal the parts of matching pairs, and if the pairs don’t match, the items return to covering the required items till you match them up. You are given no list or set of silhouettes, you must find out what you need by trial and error, and memory.

The map is fun. You can jump from location to location, and you are given indications (at the least difficulty levels, there are 4 plus custom) of where action is required. But you give your preferred location to the cabbie, or other modes of transport as the game progresses. The hint is directional within each cluster of locations, and very useful in the complex HOPs.

The puzzles tend towards the visual. I liked them very much. They were innovations of familiar concepts, for the most part, breathing new life into ideas we’ve come across before, without ever looking or feeling old. The adventure component is very easy because it is broken easily into chapters and the action is generally limited to a few locations at a time. But what a nice change to have things make sense! lol

COMBINED IMPACT
This game is outstanding. Original, involving and with top flight production values. I finished it in one sitting of approximately 3.5 – 4 hours, and the ending was deeply satisfying. The whole swath of CE bonuses, while fun, are totally unnecessary to the enjoyment of this game.

I recommend this game!

bfgVaiya
Salmon
Salmon
2,557 Posts

[Post New]by bfgVaiya on May 11, 14 8:47 AM
Hello Everyone,

Welcome to the reviews thread! Please feel free to post your thoughts and feedback on Cadenza: Music, Betrayal and Death here. We appreciate the time you take to put your reviews together, and I know other gamers and the developers do as well. We just have a few guidelines to keep in mind when posting. Our goal with these is to keep the thread tidy, easy to navigate and helpful.

Review Guidelines

1) Be sure to keep your reviews on-topic. Reviews in this thread should only be commenting on Cadenza: Music, Betrayal and Death.
2) Be respectful of the reviewers. Please keep in mind our Forum Rules and be respectful of our reviewers. They take the time to post here to be helpful. Please do not review the reviews of others.
3) Do not respond to someone else’s reviews with questions or comments If you have any feedback about a review, or you feel that a review contains incorrect details about the game, please contact the poster directly via PM.
4) Do not review developers. While we do appreciate your feedback, we’d ask that you keep your posts in this thread dedicated to the specific game at hand.

*Moderators will be removing any content in this thread that is not a review.

If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to PM one of our Moderators.

bfgVaiya

bessiegirl
Clownfish
Clownfish
738 Posts

[Post New]by bessiegirl on May 13, 14 1:51 PM
What can I say about this fantastic game except it is a 10 out of 10. Hard to explain it all but this game had the most inventive HOS and puzzles I've ever played. The transporter map was fantastic, voice overs great, color and graphics great as well as the music which couldn't help but be superior since it was nice jazz.

Characters were cartoon like...but that made it even better. Story was unique and game played smoothly. I clocked in close to 4 hours so it was a long one. How great was this game? Well we just finally got a streak of sunny weather here and I find myself sitting here playing this game...I highly recommend it!

Game was not too hard and not too easy. Took me a bit (since I don't play with tutorials or walkthroughs) to get used to some of the different ways it is played, but once you get that in your pocket...well you'll just love it! Can't say enough...you gotta get this one!

[Post New]by sea_anomoly on May 13, 14 2:24 PM
Great Story-driven Game

There was not one thing about this game that I did not like.

The music was steamy jazz--mostly saxophone--and appropriate to the storyline which takes place in New Orleans, Louisiana.

Some of the HO games were new to me. You are presented with a slide show in black and white characters. When placing small colored pieces into the correct places, the area bursts into color and more of the story history is revealed through a narrator. The regular HOS are hard to explain but I cannot imagine anyone not enjoying them.

The map is great--allowing you to meet a cab driver. You can transport to different parts of the city without the cabbie later on.

The Devs have a lot to be proud for in this innovative game.
Enjoy your visit to the Jazz Pepper Club, the riverboat and New Orleans!

vakrow
Minnow
Minnow
272 Posts

[Post New]by vakrow on May 14, 14 11:15 AM
Best Game I have played for a very long time

sfr8rfan
Guppy
Guppy
196 Posts

[Post New]by sfr8rfan on Jun 20, 14 10:40 PM
THIS GAME IS MUSIC TO THE EARS

Part One of Two:

I played the entire Collector’s Edition, including bonus section in 6 hours on a Mac Book Pro. This review will be based on the basic game with comments for the bonus CE material.

This game is, indeed, a cadenza, or a virtuoso passage...though it doesn't happen at the end. Instead this is a Cadenza performance from the very beginning. More importantly than what it's called is what it is: a superior game that adds up to far more than the sum of its parts.

Judged on its individual parts, the game might not merit a five-star rating. BUT, it would be a mistake to look at Cadenza as anything less than a "whole." A single element ties the entire game together: the music. It's not a mistake and, I'm sure, not unintentional, that the game's name is "Music, Betrayal, and Death" Surely the music is the most important feature of this game.

I consider background music essential as it drives a game and sets its tone. This has never been truer than in Cadenza. I suspect if you turned off the sound to this game you'd find it only ordinary! The music doesn't just set the game’s tone, it gives it form. It doesn't just drive the game, it propels it!

My rating of 5 is absolutely a function of the totality being far greater than the sum of its parts.

Let me be clear, though: this game is exceptional because of its original use of music. No other game I'm aware of is so thoroughly moved forward by the soundtrack.

FUN FACTOR: The music is an inescapable part of the fun for me. Music populates most of the game and is a perfect backdrop for action that takes place in the French Quarter of New Orleans. There are lots of characters, lots of games and lots of HOS. The characters are great. As the newest Top Reviewer on the game site points out surprisingly correctly, the characters are lifelike and well-detailed. Playing a game where we feel as though we are dealing with real characters is ultimate fun for me: I always prefer a movie to a cartoon. Although there are no live actors, you'll feel as though there are.

VISUAL-SOUND QUALITY:

Sights: The game looks good. Color creates a bright ambience when right and dark when appropriate. Not unlike a mint julep, Cadenza can be at once upbeat and ponderous. You visit a cemetery, the salon of a mistress of the dark arts, a jazz club, of course (the central locale). All of these are distinctly New Orleans. Each is presented perfectly on point.

To Be Continued…

Edited on 06/20/2014 at 11:36:50 PM PST

sfr8rfan
Guppy
Guppy
196 Posts

[Post New]by sfr8rfan on Jun 20, 14 10:43 PM
Part Two of Two
VISUAL-SOUND QUALITY Continued:

Sounds: Have I gone on enough about the sound? Even if you're not a jazz hound you'll enjoy this. It's not heavy jazz that only an aficionado will enjoy. It's inviting to the uninitiated. The voice-overs are great. The actors who portray the characters do so brilliantly and with, what I consider to be, accurate bayou accents. Sadly, the lip-synching is poor but who cares. Have a julep or three while you play...you won't notice.

LEVEL OF CHALLENGE:
Of course, this is where the game would suffer if you look at individual parts. While the game as a whole will impress the most veteran of players, the Mini-puzzles will not be satisfying to anyone. An old hand will find the games a waste of time. A new player will be happy to achieve success but realize it was cheaply earned.
The HOS are a great improvement over the mini-games. There are several fun variations. A result of the superiority of this game, visually, is the very clear and crisply drawn HOS. They are not difficult to solve, though at times they require a little thought.

STORYLINE:
The music, the locale, the script, the characters and the actors who portray them come together to present a perfect story, well laid out. This is the Garden...Good and Evil, indeed. There is Death and Betrayal, as promised. There are notes of the dark arts as I mentioned earlier..but always there's a dose of reality. One character perfectly explains the birth/berth of the darkly spiritual world, where it comes from and where it resides.

THE VERDICT AND SE OR CE:
After all is said and done, this is a five-star game. I don’t think you’ve played anything quite like this game. If you really viscerally hate the music soundtrack of games, skip it. Otherwise, get the game.

Here’s what the CE adds:
a. The “Who Cares Assortment of CE features, PLUS
b. Morphing Items
c. A bonus chapter.
d. 2 sets of collectibles: 44 Treble Clefs displayed throughout each of 44 scenes and then another collectible which is specifically part of the bonus material. Unfortunately, because of glitch I could not access this collectible.

The bonus chapter is fun but the greatness of the game isn’t because of it or the other bonus CE material. For my money, I’d stick with the Special Edition. You will be VERY HAPPY with your purchase.

[Post New]by gingermom on Jul 29, 14 2:53 PM

Terrific game, and thoroughly enjoyable. Many of the characters look like people I have actually met. The story line was intriguing, and I was enthralled with the music. Great game!

[Post New]by Brandywine_Valle on Aug 28, 14 9:46 PM
I think the poster, "Just the Facts" nailed it in the first review.

The protagonist is a Black woman, I LOVE this! Let's see more of this, please!

The graphics are stunning, the characters are GREAT!

I Love that it is set in New Orleans in a jazz club.

Thank you!

I am buying this game!

Amazing game

[Post New]by justdoyt on Jan 21, 15 3:43 PM
This is my first post for a game and I have played a lot. This is absolutely the best game I have played yet. There are many others I love but this one takes the cake. Wonderful graphics, music, game challenges and just a terrific game all around. Just when you think you have it all figured out...you don't! Did not want it to end. Hope I see a lot more like this one.

rdekker1
Guppy
Guppy
104 Posts

[Post New]by rdekker1 on Jan 27, 15 7:55 PM
wasn't sure I was going to like this game as much as I did. I liked the demo enough to buy it as one of my free games and I wasn't disappointed. The only thing I didn't like was the cymbal sounds every time you got an item but other then that I have no complaints.

roaming
Clownfish
Clownfish
644 Posts

[Post New]by roaming on Apr 22, 15 7:20 PM
True, it's an innovative game, and I loved the ambiance, but I never could figure out where to go or what to do once I got there and literally needed a hint at every turn, whether a new scene or returning to a previous one.

The best thing about this game up to the end of the demo was the Chagallesque painting that was an HOS.

Since just sitting here clicking the hint button isn't my idea of a fun time, I won't be buying this one.

chillygirl
Guppy
Guppy
193 Posts

[Post New]by chillygirl on Jul 31, 15 9:00 PM
roaming wrote:True, it's an innovative game, and I loved the ambiance, but I never could figure out where to go or what to do once I got there and literally needed a hint at every turn, whether a new scene or returning to a previous one.

The best thing about this game up to the end of the demo was the Chagallesque painting that was an HOS.

Since just sitting here clicking the hint button isn't my idea of a fun time, I won't be buying this one.

I think I have to agree with you here roaming. I was just never clear on where to go next. Loved the bluesy music tho!!!

Go to: