[Post New]by pondprowler on May 13, 14 12:32 AM
A thread for your reviews!

Edited on 05/13/2014 at 8:06:48 AM PST

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Black Rainbow here

[Post New]by JustTheFacts on May 13, 14 12:58 AM
Thank you orphaned

IN BRIEF***

BASED ON DEMO

Very similar to the other recently released Cateia game, Tales Of The Dragon Mountains 2: The Lair. But a strictly ADVENTURE LITE game. No HOPs at all.

10 Mini-games, according to the statistics page, but I think that is just in the demo. There will be more in the full game. Because, there seemed to be an awful lot of puzzles *~*. I found them a bit too hard and at times too confusing for my taste.
The instructions are sometimes just not clear enough. At others, a simple and familiar game is transformed into something I can’t do at all by an extra layer to it.

Mostly, though, the game is adventure, not too difficult.

The journal has useful info. It also has a section for achievements, game statistics (including things like how many puzzles you have completed from the total, and a game timer), and a help section.

There is a symbol of walking feet on the right of the (lockable) inventory bar, which toggles exit indicators. Hint is directional.

Good 3D graphics, very well done of their type, but I dislike the look. Bright and colourful, cleverly done. The people are well drawn, and I liked the art style (just not the 3D aspect).

There is a LOT of chatter, and it is all very well acted .

The story is not ‘told’, it is simply experienced. You are somewhere tropical (later, we find it’s on the Amazon River) when the area is set on fire. We collect our things and skedaddle by air. From take off to, um, landing, the cut scene is very good.

On the ground once more, we must survive in the jungle until we can find civilisation.

What we find instead is snakes longer than you are, piranhas, and human sacrifice!

There are achievements and collectible skulls (21).

Looked okay, but I couldn’t work up much excitement. (I’ve said that a lot lately, so maybe it’s me). If you are into the puzzles, you might get a kick out of it. The 3D graphics probably put me off it more than anything.

I recommend this game for adventure lovers more than HOPA fans.

Now I'm off...

sassylassie
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,107 Posts

[Post New]by sassylassie on May 13, 14 1:26 AM
Please let me clarify one thing. This game was never made into a CE. There is no CE of this game. I just happened to play the full version on another site. Do not let the first scene veer you off. It doesn't turn out the way it seems. I played the full version on another site and I totally loved this game and I hope Cateia Games makes a sequel. This is as to date my favorite game. What a fun long adventure you go on. The game itself is not short. No 3 to 4 hours and boom your done. I started the game in the morning, played the CE and finished it and finished this game the next day because I was falling asleep at the keyboard. The main character Helen is such a delightful character. I loved that main character. She is so modest and wanting to do everything right. The VO's are done exceptionally well in this game. Really fits the characters that you will encounter.

Story: You play Helen who's village is got invaded by the dark evil warriors so you only have a small amount of time to get your plane fueled and ready to go. Once you gathered everything you need you hop in the plane and take off. During mid flight you run into a thunderstorm and your plane is hit by lightning. You end up on this island with a splitting headache but turn out fine and you run into this warrior who becomes your ally. You become the Chosen One to restore the balance of the world. Poor Helen can't quite comprehend what she is to do at first, but she gets the hang of it. Be prepared for a long adventure full of intrigue and mystery.

Graphics: Outstanding. Everything looks so lifelike. Superb job done the art team.

Mini Games: I didn't skip any. They weren't overly challenging but not easy. Just down right fun. Truly enjoyed them.

Hint System: Awesome! One of the best I have seen in a game. Not only does it tell you where to go, it also transports you to the exact place you need to go. It also shows you what item you need to use in your inventory by show you a picture of it on your cursor.

Map: Jump map and extremely well done.

Music: Fits the game to a tee. Very well done by the music department.

To me this game rocked! I had a lot of fun with this one and I hope you do too. Kudos to the Cateia team for a job very well done.

Edited on 05/13/2014 at 4:51:49 AM PST

LovetoMissLisa
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,823 Posts

[Post New]by LovetoMissLisa on May 13, 14 2:01 AM
I am a fan of Cateia Games! They are one of the few Developers that want to hear our opinions about a game and talk to us personally. I really respect this about them!

With this said...I like this game alot! Yes...the graphics are a little out-dated or old fashion. But that does not mean it's not a great game. In fact...some of these games are better than better graphic games. IMO This is an Adventure game. But don't let that scare you away...if your not Adventure game lover. It really plays easier than most. I like the story with the exception of the opening scene. Beware...can be to graphic for some. IMO

Be sure to give it a try...it's most definitely worth your time. And play the whole demo...you'll get hooked forsure. It's a buy for me and a must try. I think this one is a great game for anyone who doesn't like Adventure games...to cut there teeth on. It's alot easier than most. And then you'll get the bug for loving Adventure games. Thank you to the whole team at Cateia Games for a great game.

Enjoy! I know I will!

I rate this game: "PIGLET"

My "Terms" for Hogs,IHogs,Frogs & Other types of games.

DEVINE FINE SWINE:
The absolute best of the best! It has everything you want in a game and things you didn’t know you wanted in a game. It is a rare beauty and a must have! Beyond expectations! I really love it!

FINE SWINE:
Great game. Bells and whistles, best, greatest, I love it.

PIGLET:
Good game. I like it! Hog,Frog,Ihog. For true lover's of these types of games.

PORK BELLY:
Likable game for some, but not for everyone. But this one is for me.

TROTTER:
Pig's foot, don't run away with buying it. lol

PIG DOWN:
Rolling in the mudd, don't go near it or you'll get soiled.
‘ ‘
(o)

cbtx
Stingray
Stingray
5,030 Posts

[Post New]by cbtx on May 13, 14 2:11 AM
Beautifully done game here that I thoroughly enjoyed.

There just isn't much to add to what sassylassie andLovetoMissLisa have already said.

I like the adventure aspect, thought the graphics were good, found the story to be very well told, and enjoyed the puzzles/minigames.

This one is worth a try by everyone, and is one of the rare SEs that really stands out.

Well done, Ivan and Cateia!

bfgWendwater
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,911 Posts

[Post New]by bfgWendwater on May 13, 14 8:06 AM
Hello Everyone,

Welcome to the reviews thread! Please feel free to post your thoughts and feedback on Black Rainbow here. We appreciate the time you take to put your reviews together, and I know other gamers and the developers do as well. We just have a few guidelines to keep in mind when posting. Our goal with these is to keep the thread tidy, easy to navigate and helpful.

Review Guidelines

1) Be sure to keep your reviews on-topic. Reviews in this thread should only be commenting on Black Rainbow.
2) Be respectful of the reviewers. Please keep in mind our Forum Rules and be respectful of our reviewers. They take the time to post here to be helpful. Please do not review the reviews of others.
3) Do not respond to someone else’s reviews with questions or comments If you have any feedback about a review, or you feel that a review contains incorrect details about the game, please contact the poster directly via PM.
4) Do not review developers. While we do appreciate your feedback, we’d ask that you keep your posts in this thread dedicated to the specific game at hand.

*Moderators will be removing any content in this thread that is not a review.

If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to PM one of our Moderators.

bfgWendwater

[Post New]by biscuitsmama on May 13, 14 8:50 AM
Black Rainbow opens with a cutscene of a human sacrifice about to take place when a huge black comet of smoke appears on the scene. Initially we get the feel that the game is set in earlier times; however, when the adventure begins it becomes apparent that we are in fact in more modern times since we have a seaplane. Our home in the jungle is being attacked by angry warriors, and we must quickly escape in the seaplane that is anchored at our pier.

I found the graphics in Black Rainbow to be very grainy and foggy at times, particularly in the close-up scenes that seemed very oversized and fuzzy. Given some of the graininess in the graphics it made the game seem a bit dated. At other times the graphics were extremely crisp and clear, so we have a mixed-bag graphically. The sound is very good and that includes the voiceovers. Although there is no lip-syncing, it doesn’t make much difference since some of the top developers seem to be moving away from it as well. I hate to see characters stand in front of us as if we are communicating psychically with them as they stand around looking mute. Yes, I guess I have been spoiled over the last few years and have come to expect a lot more in terms of realistic characters in the games I play.

We find the standard tools in Black Rainbow which include a diary that contains several informational tabs, and an interactive map that shows where we have objectives.

Black Rainbow is more of an adventure type game than it is a hidden object game. During our adventure we do encounter some FROG scenes when we need to acquire certain items. As is the case with this game developer, we have a great amount of mini-games or puzzles as we travel on our adventure. I like the ones where we have to actually use our brains but not so much the ones that require a lot of dexterity with the mouse. I found some of the motion type puzzles very difficult to solve and ended up skipping them out of frustration.

Even though the graphics seem inferior, I still love this game because of the entertainment and gameplay factors. I have found that every game I have played from this developer is top-notch in entertainment value, and all of their adventures and the puzzles provide hours of stimulation. This game might not be for everyone but it is perfect for me and I highly recommend that you at least try the demo to see if this is a game you will like.

[Post New]by NancySusan on May 13, 14 9:39 AM
I'm afraid I'm with justthefacts on this one. While it's sized perfectly for my widescreen and the hint button is superlative, the graininess of the graphics, the muddy colors, and the oogga booga aren't we savage native types kind of put me off. I don't miss HOPs, although it's nice to hear there are some FROGs, but the mini-games were only o.k. for me and the adventure part easy. So, not a buy for me.

tesamoine
Herring
Herring
387 Posts

[Post New]by tesamoine on May 13, 14 4:05 PM
I love games by the Cateia , both because they offer the very few adventure type games we see on BFG and because of the quality of their gameplay, story lines, and puzzles. The hint button is useful if you do not know where to go. You do need to collect items along the way for your adventure, but there are no HOS per se, as this is not a HOG. I don't pay much attention to graphics in a game. I base my likes and dislikes on the gameplay and story line. There are quite a few puzzles in this game. I enjoyed the thinking ones. Didn't care for the ones which required manual dexterity. This is an easier type adventure game, perfect for lovers of these types of games, and those who want to try this genre of game. I do recommend.

Edited on 05/13/2014 at 4:05:51 PM PST

sunnyglow
Clownfish
Clownfish
804 Posts

[Post New]by sunnyglow on May 13, 14 6:10 PM
From the "Ivan-sky" comes the Black Rainbow. Is there such a thing as a "black rainbow?" Since rainbows are created by refraction and reflection of light through raindrops, can a rainbow exist without light?

This game is a mishmash of several cultural groups woven together into one heap big blanket of indigenous culture. We have some elements of the Aztec and Mayan cultures combined with those of Africa. You are Helen Stone who escapes a marauding party of warriors attacking her residence by flying off in her Cessna. Helen (not exactly the brightest bulb), thinking that the fire in her kitchen "won't make a difference" leaves behind a stove attached to pressurized gas in the form of a propane tank. Gee - Helen, no damage here if the fire reaches pressurized gas, right? You might get a "heap big explosion as well." She crash lands into a rain forest and tries to forage herself out of the region with a cool machete. Who is behind the attack on the settlement? As I finished the demo, I still have no idea the whole purpose of the game. However, I must admit I am tired tonight and my brain is overworked and "blurry."

I loved last week's adventure. Sorry, Ivan, but I am not impressed with this game and it is a little boring. There are three levels of play. The storyline is interesting but the game is not developed well. To me the format and puzzles are (yawn) boring. Since this is an adventure game, you do not have any HOP scenes. You search for inventory items and then you must place a group of them through silhouettes around another item which will be used. Your collectibles are skulls. I started to become bored romping around the rain forest with my handy dandy machete. However, I was so glad to find more duct tape. You never have enough duct tape and if you can't fix it with duct tape, you just haven't used enough of it! The graphics were grainy on my computer. I think this could be a great game; however, it just got mired down after locating the quicksand in the jungle. I rate this game 4 stars out of 5 stars for an SE. It is an okay game, Ivan, really, but needs to have more variety to make it an exciting game.

Bartsister
Clownfish
Clownfish
710 Posts

[Post New]by Bartsister on Jun 4, 14 5:05 PM
I like adventure games and so this one as a casual adventure game pleased me for the most part. The only reason I am posting in the reviews thread is to give a bit of a heads up on some of the later mini games. If, like me, you play adventure games because super fast reflexes and expert hand-eye coordination are not your strong suits, there are a couple of mini-games that are quite difficult. I can't stand skipping puzzles, especially if there are achievements, but I almost skipped one and am giving myself a break to write this to see if I can avoid skipping this next one.

The first one involves setting the speed of rotating rings and then clicking on a button at the exact second to sync them. Wash, rinse and repeat two more times to finish. Then not long after, you have to click on about a dozen fast moving skinny little darts so they don't cover this one little area they keep colliding into so you can click on a little button. Even if you do get some out of the way, it is only temporary and if you can't click on the rest, the first ones become active again and you have to start over. Yikes!

Honestly, if I was really good at that kind of stuff I would be playing Call of Duty and not adventure and casual games. These two mini games have made what was a fun adventure into a frustrating and not fun experience.

Edited to add: Nothing like putting a complaint in writing to solve a problem! Went back in a fought a bit and solved dreaded dart nightmare. There is one last click at exactly the right time and place while blades are spinning puzzle but with perseverance I did that too.

Good things about the game: Was an interesting premise. I enjoyed it until the mini games from hell. The achievements were nice and it was VERY nice that you finish collecting the collectibles a bit before the end of the game so you can just relax and play and not have to scour every scene coming into the end.

Glad I played? Yes.

Knowing what I know, would I replay it again? Probably not.

Edited on 06/04/2014 at 7:20:48 PM PST

pcpat923
Squid
Squid
74 Posts

Black Rainbow's Pot of Gold

[Post New]by pcpat923 on Jun 28, 14 1:37 PM
Don't need a lucky leprechaun. We have Cateia Games who offer gamers what seems to be what are sadly, under appreciated and much debated, pure adventure games. I say, if gamers love hidden objects, play away as there are many a variety and choice here on BFG.

Adventure games can be grainy in some areas when intensely magnified so back up. This is due to their excellence and not their inferiority. Just like binoculars, telescope, microscope that needs adjustment and then, voila, clarity!

This is not a HOG and not a FROG. It is a User Friendly Adventure Game with mini-puzzles. Scrub the scenes, find objects to place elsewhere and return back to find more items if needed. Not too much trekking as there is a teleportation device. Very nice, wish I had one here.

Mini puzzles were very easy and do-able for me until I got to the "synchronize the rotations". I hope Developers keep the game and mini-puzzles as challenging as possible. This is what gamers really want--to overcome the challenges we never thought we could win.

Definitely got the message--don't know if other games did too. Ancient civilizations that were intellectual and highly advanced fell to ruin due to a black force that seeped in leading to barbaric acts that eventually led to their own demise. How far are we today from the same scenario when we don't reach out to help another?

I am enjoying Black Rainbow immensely and purchase every game from these Developers. More, please! I wait sometimes all year for a truly great game and this is one. Thank you!

Radgame
Minnow
Minnow
244 Posts

[Post New]by Radgame on Jul 21, 14 12:55 PM
Based on demo:

What an interesting game BUT what a let down because of the sub-par graphics! It felt like a fun (even brilliant) game w/ a unique story, no cute animal helpers or gimmicks. I didn't even mind the lack of HOGs. The transporter map was useful as were the footprints feature. Collecting the skulls was a nice bonus feature in a SE.

However, none of it could counteract the effects of the poor graphics. It made it difficult to spot the "combiner" as in, know where to click to open it, or what items to add from the inventory. Ex: The bamboo to pull in the First-Aid box was barely visible. On Casual mode, there were no sparkles to help.

Overall, I felt lost and kept clicking the Hint button. Using a hint when truly stumped is fine but just to figure out the next step makes me lose interest. It's really too bad.......no rainbow at the end for me.

sandicats5
Clownfish
Clownfish
573 Posts

[Post New]by sandicats5 on Oct 27, 14 9:56 AM
finished it. I saved the world but had to use the hint button more than I wanted too

blueskies01
Guppy
Guppy
161 Posts

[Post New]by blueskies01 on Jan 11, 15 11:51 PM
Graphics muddy; mini-games boring (with too much repetition). Extremely old-style game with unpleasantly retro theme. Mish-mosh of elements is peculiar at best. Adventure wonks deserve a stronger presentation--this just doesn't cut it.

Edited on 01/11/2015 at 11:54:21 PM PST

lynwil
Guppy
Guppy
131 Posts

A gem of a game

[Post New]by lynwil on May 29, 15 4:38 PM
When this game first came out I only demo'd it for 20 minutes then gave up, but going back to it on the DD I've bought it and fallen in love with it.
I think I'm becoming tired of HOGs as they seem to be coming in too often and slow the games down. Also they break concentration and the continuity of the story - for me anyway.
This is definitely a game for slow, careful concentration. There is a fair bit of dialog and every scene has to be thoroughly searched - to rush is to miss heaps. Give it a try, as a DD it's a steal!

bessiegirl
Clownfish
Clownfish
738 Posts

[Post New]by bessiegirl on Jun 2, 15 3:26 PM
I chose to play on "casual" since I enjoy an easy going experience. It indicated the skip and hint recharged faster. Well....I would hate to see how slow the skip recharges in the non-casual game because the one on casual was verrrrrry slow and this was bad because I found the games tedious to downright impossible and waiting forever for the skip to recharge could make for a very clumsy slow game.

The animations were amazing and it was too bad the game was a bit blurry. Probably the worse part of the game were the voice-overs...awful. The story was a bit confusing and just when you thought it was going to end, it went into another Portal....I was ready for it to end.

Can't say I didn't like it or that I did...one of those kind of games. I give it a 3- out of 5.

Edited on 06/02/2015 at 3:30:26 PM PST

Go to: