Please post your REVIEWS for Grim Tales: The Vengeance Collector's Edition here

[Post New]by pondprowler on May 15, 14 12:33 AM
A thread for your reviews!

Edited on 05/15/2014 at 9:06:22 AM PST

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Grim Tales: The Vengeance Collector's Edition here

[Post New]by JustTheFacts on May 15, 14 2:14 AM
There’s Just No Excuse...****

BASED ON BETA

FIRST IMPRESSIONS
For what Elephant have done to the beset Gray family this time. They’ve gratuitously changed the names in utterly ridiculous ways! And without any cause I can fathom. It really is quite unforgivable. Luckily, they have introduced a new dimension to the story – now we are not the only one who can travel back in time to significant events in a person’s lifetime.

SIGHTS & SOUNDS
As you’d expect from Elephant, the artwork in this game is brilliant. The style is beautiful, colourful, detailed. The Dobermans are way scary, and the creep behind them is ominous too. The voiceovers and acting are both excellent. Ambient sounds of a courtroom are pretty unnerving – all this shuffling and coughing, everything waiting on my ability to ‘read’ personal objects.

Much of the music, though, really bugs me. Too loud and jarring. I am normally a person who finds music essential to the gaming experience, but in this case I think I’d rather silence. It is not for the whole game, though, and the rest of the quieter music is actually soothing and pleasant. There are 4 sliders for altering sound, plus gamma, and the usual mix.

WHAT’S HAPPENING?
Well, see, here’s where I get cranky. The “McGray” (previously known as the Gray) family is now minus my sister and her husband (remember, the first game, all those years ago, started with their wedding), who have died unceremoniously and left a will that leaves the entire estate to Elizabeth – reasons unknown. Even worse, Elizabeth is now also dead and our dear nephew James is accused of her murder! We, as Aunt Gray (what? My sis married into the Gray family, not me), are subpoenaed to give evidence to the court, based on our ability to use important objects as a kind of doorway to significant events in the past.

After finding an old photograph of the Black Rock (wasn’t it Black Lock?) mansion, we are transported back to a moment sometime before our niece’s death, to find James looking exceedingly angry and threatening Elizabeth. While they remain suspended in time, we must seek evidence of James’ innocence to show the judge. But we are not alone. Impossibly, something or someone is moving it this normally frozen environment. And it is getting nasty.

One thing I dislike about this game is that there is a confusing and contradictory back story to go with all this, with family trees and so forth, all delivered in an amazing assortment of media, that could have made the backstory interesting and involving. Again, why couldn’t they just stick to what we know and build from there?

GAMEPLAY
Standard Grim Tales fare. Each location has an interactive word list HOP, as well as a puzzle/mini-game here and there. Nothing too demanding, and usually nicely integrated and imaginative. The adventure component is also not too difficult, and there is a teleporting hint system, as well as the interactive jump map. The map shows where they are active objectives, but also where there are none. The action flows nicely, but there is a lot of to and fro even this early into the game, so that map really is necessary. There is no notebook. The demo lasts for 2 out of 6 chapters.

The inventory is lockable, and there are items which can be combined in it. There is no journal, and there are only 3 levels of difficulty. The unique elements in the game play are the evidence items you must bring back from each excursion into the past. There are 5 items that must be found, and each has a story attached to it that may affect the judgement on James. These are indicated along the right side of the monitor and are separate from any other searches. That doesn’t explain how different this method of investigating is – you really need to have a go at it.

CE BLING!
There are two types of collectible. There are 13 figurines, each with a story attached, and in groups of two or three, a film reel is played, giving further information. I played the beta for this game, where there are also 35 morphing objects and I didn’t find any in the demo. There are 10 achievements, based on performance.

The gallery has 9 wallpapers, including the Dobermans, 8 saveable concept art, 5 music tracks, and a screensaver of the beautiful waterfall.

COMBINED IMPACT
Grim Tales has always been a simpler series of games than most of the other Elephant games, and this one ought to be too. The mechanism of testifying in court as a method of structuring the flashbacks is great, but all the changes, differences and contradictions that are to be found in this game spoilt it quite a bit for me.

Certainly not one of their best games, not a world beater, but a good game, if you can ignore these story-related issues.

I recommend this game!

ETA: Finally found the morphing objects, there are 35 to collect

Edited on 05/15/2014 at 4:44:01 AM PST

LovetoMissLisa
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,823 Posts

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Grim Tales: The Vengeance Collector's Edition here

[Post New]by LovetoMissLisa on May 15, 14 2:46 AM
I like this game O.k...but it isn't the best of games. Just mediocre. The graphics are grainy...IMO I like the storyline...with the exeption of the opening scene.

Is it me or have the games become alot more violent in the last year? I've never had a problem with game content before. But...it's either me...or the games are stepping up the shock value. Warning about the opening scene for some.

The gameplay keeps you busy and interested. It is a good game...but we've seen it before. IMO...I will buy it on sale. As always give the game a try for yourself. We're all different and I'm not saying it's not a good game...but it's just more of the same for me. With the exception of stepping up the violence in opening scenes.

I rate this game: "PORK BELLY" Mediocre for me.

“These are my terms" for hogs, I hogs, frogs & adventure games.

“DEVINE FINE SWINE”
The absolute best of the best! It has everything you want in a game and things you didn’t know you wanted in a game.
It is a rare beauty and a must have! Beyond expectations! I really love it!

“FINE SWINE”
Great game! Best graphics and storyline. All the bells and whistles! The best and greatest of games! I love it!

“PIGLET”
Good game. I like these little gems! This game is for true lovers of these types of games.

“PORK BELLY”
May be a likable game for some, but not for everyone. It’s just mediocre.

“TROTTERS”
Don't run away with this pig’s foot. LOL

“PIG DOWN”
Rolling in the mud! Don’t go near it or you'll get soiled.
‘ ‘
(o)

[Post New]by biscuitsmama on May 15, 14 7:24 AM
First things first, so let me say that I absolutely love the reality of this game and the way it is presented. I think that our friends at Elephant Games have topped themselves with this one. The game begins with a tragedy, the loss of your niece Elizabeth McGray, with her brother being charged in her murder. The adventure begins as you, a psychic detective and the aunt of James and Elizabeth, arrive at James’ trial. The game is presented in retrospective where you will be able to examine evidence and find clues within different scenes to provide insight to the court for use during the proceedings. Again, I must say that I love the way the game is presented. This game in the Grim Tales series is without a doubt my favorite.

The graphics are wonderful and so realistic. The characters finally are lip-synced and add so much to the power of this version in the Grim Tales series. It seems the creative team at Elephant has really stepped up their, ahem, game – lol. All joking aside, the sound track for the game is excellent and I am just thrilled to see one of my favorite developers present such a wonderful game.

On the lower right side of your screen right above the menu button you have a book that when clicked contains your diary and transporter type interactive map as well as other items.

As is the case in all games by this developer, we only seem to find the standard, slightly interactive list type which is okay with me. Sometimes the HOS in games become tedious because way too much interaction is required. The puzzles are not hard and some are a bit different but still doable if you take the time to think about them.

There are collectibles to find, achievements to earn and yes, we have morphing objects as well. Add in the remainder of the content and we have a CE worthy game.

As you can tell by my comments above, I love this game and for me it is an instant purchase. I was not thrilled with the last Grim Tales game so this is a wonderful and refreshing game. Thank you to Elephant Games for a wonderful addition to the Grim Tales series and kudos for your creativity – this is a wonderful game. As I mentioned earlier, Grim Tales the Vengeance is an instant buy for me but I always recommend that you at least try the demo to see if this is a game you will like.

bfgWendwater
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,911 Posts

[Post New]by bfgWendwater on May 15, 14 8:23 AM
Hello Everyone,

Welcome to the reviews thread! Please feel free to post your thoughts and feedback on Grim Tales: The Vengeance Collector's Edition here. We appreciate the time you take to put your reviews together, and I know other gamers and the developers do as well. We just have a few guidelines to keep in mind when posting. Our goal with these is to keep the thread tidy, easy to navigate and helpful.

Review Guidelines

1) Be sure to keep your reviews on-topic. Reviews in this thread should only be commenting on Grim Tales: The Vengeance Collector's Edition.
2) Be respectful of the reviewers. Please keep in mind our Forum Rules and be respectful of our reviewers. They take the time to post here to be helpful. Please do not review the reviews of others.
3) Do not respond to someone else’s reviews with questions or comments If you have any feedback about a review, or you feel that a review contains incorrect details about the game, please contact the poster directly via PM.
4) Do not review developers. While we do appreciate your feedback, we’d ask that you keep your posts in this thread dedicated to the specific game at hand.

*Moderators will be removing any content in this thread that is not a review.

If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to PM one of our Moderators.

bfgWendwater

tesamoine
Herring
Herring
387 Posts

[Post New]by tesamoine on May 15, 14 4:53 PM
I have all the Grim Tales games and have loved them all (with the exception of The Stone Queen, which I just found to be odd). With that said, I was rather confused by the story going on here. I seems the family name has changed,the Aunt can now see the past and other things, Elizabeth and her husband are dead, etc. etc. I found this all confusing as the other games always followed the story of the helpless sister needing the aunt to come save the day. Anyway, they're all deceased now and the nephew is being charged with murdering his sister in hopes of inheriting the estate. I'm not quite sure where Brandon went who we met as a baby way back when in previous games. This is one of the easier series that Elephant has put out. The Grim Tale games are predictable. There is much much too-ing and fro-ing and a jump map is included. The HOS are simple and the puzzles are easy also. In this game you can bring back items from the past, to help prove the innocence of James in the courtroom. There are a few achievements and some collectibles. I'm not quite sure this warrants a CE status as the bonus chapter is less than 30 minutes long. Also, the other Grim Tales were all very very long games. This one I see is clocked around 3-4 hours. I didn't love the game, not did I dislike it. I think I spent most of the demo time trying to figure out why the entire family changed. I believe I would get this as an SE, but play for yourself. We all have different tastes.

sunnyglow
Clownfish
Clownfish
804 Posts

[Post New]by sunnyglow on May 15, 14 6:07 PM
I had a premonition that an unknown dev from BF would arise from the dead, reawaken its brilliance and supply us with a GREAT game! Since I live in the neighborhood of one of the premier psychics in the country (how cool is that? and being that she was an advisor to a television show with a ghost whisperer - actually the show was about her life), I asked her verify my dream. And guess what? She confirmed my belief . Yes, the Pachyderm has returned to the world of the living and has regained its "spirit." Alleluia! It really is nice to have a "ghostbuster" in your neighborhood - darn things can become so attached to their owners!

You are the aunt to James and Elizabeth Gray, heirs to a fabulous fortune. Trouble is afoot for your nephew as he is accused of killing his sister in order to gain access to her half of the inheritance. Being one of the premier psychics in England, you attend the trial of your nephew and use your otherworldly detective skills to ferret out the facts of the case and through the spirit world, try to identify the culprit in the disappearance of your niece. Is she actually dead or is she just missing? And who is the mysterious figure with the hideous Dobermans (Okay - I hate dogs and especially snarling ones with ugly red eyes) who met with Elizabeth before her disappearance?

I LOVE this game! Is that bold enough? Huh? I LOVE the storyline in this game as well. This is such a GREAT GAME, Pachyderm that I have forgotten the previous less than spectacular ones. The graphics are beautiful as usual with this dev. There are three levels of play. COMPLAINT ALERT! Please Pachyderm - please get with the program and provide a customized level. There are collectibles which are statues of the family members and these statues tell the story of the family - starting with the greedy, money grubbing founder. There are morphing objects as well. The map reminded me of the board game - Clue. The HOP scenes are basically junk piles, but they and the inventory items are interactive. The puzzles I encountered were easy. You collect clued items to help further the case. In my closing argument, I rate this game 6 STARS out of 5 STARS. The additional star is for a noteworthy improvement. I will purchase this game and hopefully for a discounted price. However, I don't know if I can wait until Friday's sale price. Oh, I see - I guess my bank account is saying I will.

Edited on 05/15/2014 at 6:11:18 PM PST

dancemom1
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,198 Posts

[Post New]by dancemom1 on May 16, 14 10:11 AM
Hi all. Had shoulder surgery on Monday, so this will be a bit short. The usual very bright nice colors from Elephant. Game play was very good and graphics were very nice, eye movement and all. Voice overs were good, but very few and far between, and not much in the way of sound FX which made this game rather quiet. Hopefully this changes as the game progresses. I have the first 5 in this series and really liked them, but this one doesn't seem quite as good. Still, I did like it.

Music was a little boring and lifeless, no rise and fall with the action of the game. Didn't use the jump map or the SG, except to look at them. They are the usual. The hint system was quite helpful and took you directly to the location you needed to go to next, rather than just tell you to back up or move forward. Makes for faster travel and this is why I didn't need to use the map or the SG.

HOPs are the standard for Elephant and are interactive. Clean and clear and items not difficult to find. Puzzles are simple and easy to figure out and complete. There are a number of achievements and collectibles. The figurines are very easy to spot and give you more insight into the story and history of the family as you find them. There are additional story parts to find, but I'm not quite sure why yet. The morphing objects do not just jump off the page at you, so you better be on the look out for them or you will easily miss them.

As with the last few Elephant games, this one was not particularly challenging or exciting, but I like it well enough to add it to my collection of Grim Tales games and there is enough constant movement to keep you interested in the game. Besides, I have the need to see where the story is going and "who-dun-it." I think this will appeal to all levels of players.

As always, try it for yourself and see what you think. We all have different tastes in games and you may not care for this one at all. Thanks for the reviews.

[Post New]by daisyduck352 on May 16, 14 11:18 AM
A great game again today. It has everything I need to keep my interest. Elephant developer never disappoints.. Like the story and have the other Grim Tales and each one is better than the first. Has a great map, with tasks listed, hints and puzzles which always are different. Graphics don't disappoint and music goes along with the scenes.. Love it, what can I say... Give this 5 out of 5 stars..

angelfish106
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,378 Posts

[Post New]by angelfish106 on May 17, 14 12:40 AM
Elephant used to produce some of the most challenging games you could get but lately they seem to have taken a downward turn. Where is the challenge in this game?? Get an item and use it almost immediately, almost bog-standard HOS, easy puzzles and just in case you can't figure out what to do next (highly unlikely), the hint button will display the location you need to go to (I tried it).

Graphics are good as always with this developer but as a CE this game falls completely flat for me. No matter how much bling you throw at a game, it doesn't make up for the lack of any real challenge. Add to that the apparent inability of Win7 to allow this or any Elephant game to run smoothly on my PC (never had this issue when I used Vista) and I doubt I'd even bother with the SE. Disappointing.

blueskies01
Guppy
Guppy
161 Posts

[Post New]by blueskies01 on May 18, 14 12:30 AM
Played the hour Mac demo. Too schizoid for me: lavish art with meticulous detail for the scenes, then absolutely hideous drawings in flashbacks (where brother is featured, always drawn poorly in gray). In Elizabeth's bedroom, cheesy cartoony graphics invade the toy scenes--?!? Also notable is a big play for gun enthusiasts (sanctity of guns in protection of Estate and Family). Devs need to concentrate on quality control, for both art and storyline.

[Post New]by nontechiegrannie on Jun 13, 14 12:07 PM
Based on Demo: Another relative in peril & you are called upon to save the day storyline.

Graphics: Again cartoonish & VERY blue.

Music: Ok..nothing special.

Characters: Have lip sync movement but bodies are wooden & stiff.

HOGS are not so very cluttered this time & there are the usual assortment of mini games.

Collectibles are available & not too difficult to find.

Game is not very challenging but fun to find out where next scene will take you.

Give demo & try & see if this rehashed, nothing new storyline game peaks your interest enough to buy

ShaunaPSmith
Squid
Squid
60 Posts

[Post New]by ShaunaPSmith on Jul 29, 14 9:40 AM
BLEH!!!! I play these HOP games mostly for the mini games and the ones in this game stink. And there were at least two that I had just played in one of the other series games that were identical. Can't they get more creative? And I'm so sick of having to collect amulets in order to open something. Come up with something else! I found this game to be totally boring, and confusing. Couldn't care less about the story. I'm glad I got a free game with my purchase of this or I'd be asking for a refund.

bessiegirl
Clownfish
Clownfish
738 Posts

[Post New]by bessiegirl on Aug 14, 14 9:40 AM
I don't know how I was lucky enough to download two winner games in one day, but this is another 5 out of 5 game for me. I just love these Grim Tales games and this one did not disappoint.

Interesting story with an interactive inventory plus interactive HOS. Hint and Skip were almost immediate which kept the game moving, especially since some of the mini games were fairly complex with confusing instructions.

A lot of things to do and think about...even on casual it could be a challenge at times. Transporter map was excellent, but sometimes I just used the hint, which was also a transporter since it was faster than going into the map and trying to guess which place was the right one to go to.

Graphics, annimations and voiceovers were all excellent. Love gathering the evidence and presenting it to the judge.

Game ends well and completely, the bonus game is short and just goes into a bit more detail about the amulet...bonus game ties up with a very nice, feel good ending. Thoroughly enjoyed the entire gameplay. Got the CE on sale so felt it was an excellent buy, but could stand well as a SE too. Loved it!

rdekker1
Guppy
Guppy
104 Posts

[Post New]by rdekker1 on Sep 27, 14 10:47 PM
I have all the other Grim Tales and I have loved them all and this game was no exception. I loved the going back in time and trying to fix things in the past. The bonus chapter was ok but I could have done with out it. I hope to be seeing more Grim Tales.

Go to: