A Dr. Pepper Tragedy!!!

A Dr. Pepper Tragedy!!!

[Post New]by Chanelnumber5 on May 17, 14 8:15 PM
Tragedy has struck!! I was keeping my gift list on a post it note on my bed table, (I play in bed, but that's another story). During my absence, my dear sweet, but slightly clumsy (k, he is pretty clumsy--think of a puppy with big feet, only a 6'3" one--we grow 'em tall here in Texas. But he will tell you he was born up north (Dallas), but that's another story too.) husband (if you are lost in this sentence don't feel bad, just pick up the story from clumsy--it's in bold to help) knocked over my glass of Dr. Pepper right on top my post it notes. It drowned about half of them, so he, in cleaning things up,(he really is a sweetie), threw them away.

Now I have no record but my memory of the many kind friends who have gifted me recently. And folks, since I play on morphine, (along with other things, but I am blaming the morphine), I find that it has really affected my short term memory. I also claim its affected my spelling, but husband says I have always vacuumed (I think the word suck used as a descriptive is rude) at it.

Anyway, to get back to my chief concern, please forgive me if you don't get a return gift from me in a timely fashion. I really do deeply appreciate all of the lovely items ya'll have been kind enough to send. I am starting off with the few I think I remember, and then going down the list. It may take up to 8 days, but I will get to you, I promise!!!

Re:A Dr. Pepper Tragedy!!!

[Post New]by Chanelnumber5 on May 17, 14 8:18 PM
Oh, I forgot, my game name is Elisabet, and my number is 249968. Thanks for your patience. Ya'll have a good evening!!

Chanel

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on May 17, 14 9:48 PM
Hi Chanelnumber5...

I have mentioned this several times in various threads, but not sure whether you saw it or not: In your computer's Accessories, there is something called "Sticky Notes". Click on it, and it will pop on top of your desktop. You can write as much as you want on it, and you can keep it small too so it doesn't take up much space, and you can change the colour of it as well.

awalkinglady
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,341 Posts

[Post New]by awalkinglady on May 18, 14 5:28 AM
Valdy.....
You've mentioned this before in other threads and I have looked for this feature that you call "Sticky Notes" on my computer. Sadly, it is not there......only a notepad....is that what you are referring to?

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on May 18, 14 5:50 AM
No, Awalkinglady, not the notepad. It's called "Sticky Notes. It's further down the list in the Accessories, under "S", just after "Snipping Tool" and "Sound Recorder" - those are the two that I have listed before "Sticky Notes".

Amerzone
Clownfish
Clownfish
930 Posts

[Post New]by Amerzone on May 18, 14 5:59 AM
I found it on my Win7 computer. What happens to the note once you close your computer? Does it save it so you can open it up again?

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on May 18, 14 6:02 AM
I too have a Win7 computer. No, the note stays on your desktop, and you will see it again in the morning, when you open your computer.

Oh, and yes, all info on the sticky note will be automatically saved.

Edited on 05/18/2014 at 6:02:53 AM PST

awalkinglady
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,341 Posts

[Post New]by awalkinglady on May 18, 14 6:59 AM
Still running Windows XP and it is not an available feature....guess it's exclusive to Windows 7. Too bad.

Edited on 05/18/2014 at 7:00:41 AM PST

Vlania
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,160 Posts

[Post New]by Vlania on May 18, 14 7:39 AM
I have it on Windows 8 and it's a nifty little thing. It closes by itself, needs no saving except for the first time and it pops up as soon as I go to desktop. I haven't played with the size or color yet but it's there nagging me without fail. LOL

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on May 18, 14 6:15 PM
On Windows 7 it doesn't need saving, not even the first time.

Awalkinglady, I have used Sticky Notes for many years, and it was a feature of Windows XP as well. Maybe it's not part of the Accessories at that time, but sitting somewhere else around... Have you tried doing a search on your computer?

tazruby2000
Flounder
Flounder
2,399 Posts

[Post New]by tazruby2000 on May 18, 14 6:37 PM
Sticky Notes is not a part of Windows XP unless it was the Pro version. I have used XP since it came out with SP1. Windows XP only has WordPad and Notepad, it most be a downloadable add on.

[Post New]by whitebutterfly54 on May 18, 14 6:39 PM
I am also still using XP and there are no sticky notes on my computer anywhere. That's a shame, sounds like a useful feature. awalkinglady, I too just use notepad, keep it minimized and bring it up when I need to look at the daily quest list.

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on May 18, 14 7:46 PM
I just checked online, and it appears that XP doesn't have Sticky Notes by default. I must be thinking of Vista then.

However, you can download Sticky Notes for your computer. Just type in "sticky notes for XP". There is one called: evernote-Sticky-Notes...

For those who are using Vista:

Click on the Start button
type in: Sticky Notes in the search box, and then click on Sticky Notes in the list of results.

To then make Sticky Notes open automatically at startup:
Click the Tools menu, point to Options, and then click on "Open at Startup".

To keep Sticky Notes always visible on the desktop:
Click on Tools, point to Options, and then click on "Always on Top".

Your notes are automatically saved when you close Sticky Notes.

--- --- ---

Goodness, what a fuss. It's so much easier with Win7.

awalkinglady
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,341 Posts

[Post New]by awalkinglady on May 19, 14 6:41 AM
Thanks for the information, Valdy.......but I think I'll stick to the old-fashioned method of a pen and paper next to my computer!

rosiebvt
Manatee
Manatee
4,210 Posts

[Post New]by rosiebvt on May 19, 14 7:12 AM
And the paper at least safely away from the husband and the good (?) Dr P!

zephyrzodiac
Minnow
Minnow
217 Posts

[Post New]by zephyrzodiac on May 19, 14 7:13 AM
I have W7, and I can't find Sticky Notes either. I think it may be because it's a Vaio, and I have disable all the Sony Vaio stuff (resource hogs) and maybe they replaced Sticky Notes with their own version.

rosiebvt
Manatee
Manatee
4,210 Posts

[Post New]by rosiebvt on May 19, 14 7:19 AM
Zephyr,
Have you tried going to your start menu and doing a search for "sticky"? I've got Win 7 Pro and the program name is "stikynot" in the Windows\system32 folder. Maybe it is only for the Pro version, I don't know, but it is part of Windows, not the computer brand's bloatware.

zephyrzodiac
Minnow
Minnow
217 Posts

[Post New]by zephyrzodiac on May 19, 14 7:27 AM
I don't have Pro. I did a search for sticky notes, and nothing. Looked in Program Files, and nothing under either name. I have a feeling that it's something Microsoft thought only business users would want, like we never use sticky notes at home!

I found it! It is under stickynotes, not sticky notes!

Edited on 05/19/2014 at 7:29:25 AM PST

rosiebvt
Manatee
Manatee
4,210 Posts

[Post New]by rosiebvt on May 19, 14 8:17 AM
I just searched "sticky" and found it with the name I showed before. I guess Home and Pro versions have different names for some programs, maybe they interface with the OS differently. Glad you found it, maybe now more people can use it too.

zephyrzodiac
Minnow
Minnow
217 Posts

[Post New]by zephyrzodiac on May 19, 14 12:32 PM
For the moment I've pinned it to the taskbar! Seems a shame they don't make the program more easily accessible. I should think it would be a godsend for mums with half a dozen kids and a hubby all asking for stuff at once!

Go to: