A thread for your reviews!

Edited on 05/21/2014 at 10:58:06 AM PST

sunshinej
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,313 Posts

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Hope Lake here

[Post New]by sunshinej on May 21, 14 5:12 AM
I stopped after 40 minutes of play and had no tech problems. It has two difficulties casual & expert. I checked to see and the game has a jump map. I played 3 HO scenes and 1 puzzle in the time played.

You play the detective who is tracking down a cloaked figure (who in my personal opinion looked silly, not menacing) kidnapping young girls. Not a bad little game, it doesn't have all the bells and whistles, but it could be a worthy adventure. At first I thought it was going to be too easy, and then I ran into frustration. Spoiler ** I was trying to take out my lion mold, found out it was too hot. I was next to a lake and had a little cup, but could find no indication to where I could get some water. ** One nice thing is that you carry a flashlight around with you for all the places that you need light for.

Might be a nice way to use up a pcc. Make sure to demo for yourself to see.

sunshinej

[Post New]by normanlandings on May 21, 14 5:23 AM
The blurb says six hours of play time. Well, I think half of those would be spent waiting for each scene to become playable every time you move. I found this all dark and dreary and too monochrome. At the moment I need cheering up, so this one is no-buy for me

swedane
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
494 Posts

[Post New]by swedane on May 21, 14 8:02 AM
Dreadful, dark and dreary, low quality game. No wonder the game comes with a built-in flashlight, you sure need it in order to complete the HOS. x 10

bfgVaiya
Salmon
Salmon
2,557 Posts

[Post New]by bfgVaiya on May 21, 14 8:31 AM
Hello Everyone,

Welcome to the reviews thread! Please feel free to post your thoughts and feedback on Hope Lake here. We appreciate the time you take to put your reviews together, and I know other gamers and the developers do as well. We just have a few guidelines to keep in mind when posting. Our goal with these is to keep the thread tidy, easy to navigate and helpful.

Review Guidelines

1) Be sure to keep your reviews on-topic. Reviews in this thread should only be commenting on Hope Lake.
2) Be respectful of the reviewers. Please keep in mind our Forum Rules and be respectful of our reviewers. They take the time to post here to be helpful. Please do not review the reviews of others.
3) Do not respond to someone else’s reviews with questions or comments If you have any feedback about a review, or you feel that a review contains incorrect details about the game, please contact the poster directly via PM.
4) Do not review developers. While we do appreciate your feedback, we’d ask that you keep your posts in this thread dedicated to the specific game at hand.

*Moderators will be removing any content in this thread that is not a review.

If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to PM one of our Moderators.

bfgVaiya

fluffyalso
Guppy
Guppy
139 Posts

[Post New]by fluffyalso on May 21, 14 9:38 AM
Close but no cigar. This was almost a great game. Had a good jump map and hint system. Graphics, although monochromatic and dark, were well done. Flashlight that could be used even in HOS which was good because they were dark and items in places hard to see. Lots of variety in tasks. I don't follow story lines so can't comment on that. On the bad side, scenes and close ups were oooohhhhh ssoooo slooowww. took forever to load. Took so long to open, I thought it was not going to load. Might be worth a freebie. Worth giving it a try. Maybe next time developers will get it right.

[Post New]by nontechiegrannie on May 21, 14 12:04 PM
Basic, Boring Game that Plods Along - Based on Demo.

As others have said the graphics are dark, dreary & monochromatic. They are the usual cartoonish drawings without any realism.

Music is repetitious & just plain annoying.

Hint takes a minute to recharge which is 55 seconds too long for me. I didn't try the map, just went back & forth numerous times.

HOGS are usual mishmash with quite a few misnamed items.

The only character I saw was the cloaked figure & it seems to me there was no VO just a lot of written dialogue & instructions.

There is just nothing new or exciting about this game to make me want to buy it.

dancemom1
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,198 Posts

[Post New]by dancemom1 on May 21, 14 12:21 PM
Hi all. Most games these days, I can just do a cut and paste on the review and call it good, which is not a good thing. This is pretty much one of them. The graphics were pretty good, even a bit dark, which it probably should be because of the story line. You want it to be a bit dark and creepy. Even in the dark, the colors were nice and clear. There is a reason why you have a flashlight, which you use quite a lot and at any time you wish. Game play was good, no problems with the demo at all. Another game with a click penalty.

There is a jump map, but I didn't really find the need to use it much. Music was very monotonous and started to grate on my nerves pretty quickly. Hint system was somewhat helpful, but takes quite some time to fill. HOPs were very simple and items not difficult to find. Some were a bit small, but not too much eye strain here. Puzzles were extremely easy. One thing I do have to say is...I wish gas was only 25 cents a gallon! Did you notice that it only took 75 cents to fill up her car?

This is one of those no brainer games for a day that you want to play but not work hard at it. I do like those occasionally. That being said, I will put this game in my "rainy day" puddle for a maybe down the road game. I didn't love it, but I didn't dislike it either. I just don't have the need to run out and buy it now. I'm sure this will appeal to the beginner more than the seasoned gamer, as far as challenge is concerned.

As always, try it for yourself and see what you think. We all have different tastes in games and you may find this one to be exactly what you are looking for today. Thanks for the reviews.

NYtaxi
Seahorse
Seahorse
28 Posts

[Post New]by NYtaxi on May 21, 14 1:54 PM
sehr schlecht, man sieht beim 1. hos nicht die ränder und somit kann man nicht spielen, hab es sofort gelöscht. schade, schein gut zu sein.....

[Post New]by dmikkelsen on May 21, 14 2:47 PM
This is one of the stupidest games I have ever tried to play. The ladle is impossible to pick up, I have wasted about 30 minutes trying to play. This game needs more work. I am not a novice, have played many of your games and this is one of the worst. Most of your games I truly enjoy but not this one.

katejoe999
Herring
Herring
308 Posts

[Post New]by katejoe999 on May 21, 14 3:59 PM
I like this game. I think it takes a little while to get into, and it does start off a bit dark and dreary.
It is a long game, which I appreciate, and definitely worth persevering with.

Edited on 05/21/2014 at 3:59:45 PM PST

steve_san
Clownfish
Clownfish
586 Posts

[Post New]by steve_san on May 21, 14 5:50 PM
This "Hope" DOES Disappoint

The distinguishing feature of Hope Lake is, unfortunately, that it has perhaps the most annoying music ever composed for a game. Unless your veins and arteries flow with caffeine, it is impossible to listen to for very long.

The game is otherwise pretty ordinary, There is nothing compelling about the artwork, somewhat drab and flat looking. There are very few voices heard beyond the opening cut scene. The hidden object areas are moderately difficult because they are dark and oddly lit, and there is some fuzziness to the objects. Also some objects are identified by unusual names.

The story did have some promise, while not original. However, though you are supposedly hot on the trail of a kidnapper, there is no sense of urgency projected. After seemingly innumerable tasks and backtracking, I began to lose interest in finding the "girls" - who appear to be too uhh, developed, to still be called girls.

The first mini game should have been simple; put the animals into the correct environment. However, I never did figure it out and it was not interesting enough to take the time to really pursue.

I won't be taking a dip in this Lake.

FORTUNATUS
Clownfish
Clownfish
883 Posts

[Post New]by FORTUNATUS on May 21, 14 6:03 PM
Though I did feel a need to adjust the gamma a bit and turn the music off, which is mentioned in some reviews as reasons for not purchasing, I felt it an easy fix for a pretty good game to save for a rainy day.

It's rather original and more adventure oriented, which is the way I like my games; for a SE and with a credit it's a buy for me.

Happy gaming ~ have fun!

tesamoine
Herring
Herring
387 Posts

[Post New]by tesamoine on May 21, 14 6:10 PM
As a detective assigned to catch a serial killer, you find yourself at an abandoned boarding school where strange things have happened in the past. The game has an interactive jump map, 2 modes of play, a journal which lists your notes and tasks. You do get a flashlight to help out in the darker areas. This is a dark natured game and I found the dimness appropriate. There IS a click penalty for rapid clicking... I really dislike that. The puzzles, to me, were odd, in that I didn't quite understand what they wanted the player to do. I had no problem located objects in the HOS. There is quite a bit of adventure in the game. You do get sparkles in both modes and hints. It's an easy game, but I'm a sucker for dark, creepy games. I am interested enough after playing the demo to want to find out what happened and who the cloaked figure is. I had no tech problems. There is a very small delay when you change screens, but it isn't horrendous. I think this developer, if this is their first effort, did a good job on this. I would have liked more story, but perhaps that is learned along the way. I do recommend

tookat
Flounder
Flounder
2,099 Posts

[Post New]by tookat on May 21, 14 6:28 PM
I think this is a game that folks should play as much of the demo as they can before making their decision.

Yes, it was dark, not so dark you cannot see objects and details...and I have trouble with my eyes.
The flashlight, once you acquire it is a really big help.
The darkness fit well with the theme...and so did the music, which I turned down so it was less obtrusive.

The jump map shows where you are, and where there are actions to be made, something that some CE's do not bother to give us....to their shame, IMHO.

I found the games to be somewhere between easy and challenging....and overall, found this to be a relaxing sort of game to play, one without a lot of bells and whistles, but I certainly do not feel I have either wasted my pcc or my time and am glad I took the time to play the demo and decide for myself, in light of all the negative reviews.

[Post New]by philanna3827 on May 22, 14 8:26 AM
NYtaxi wrote:sehr schlecht, man sieht beim 1. hos nicht die ränder und somit kann man nicht spielen, hab es sofort gelöscht. schade, schein gut zu sein.....

Say Whaaat??

mhatfie
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,447 Posts

[Post New]by mhatfie on May 22, 14 8:53 AM
This is actually a pretty good game IMO. I was skeptical at first, but the more I played the better I liked it. Definitely worth getting with a pcc.

There is a great jump map. (you need it as there are many places to visit). There's alot to do and find and pick up. Having the flashlight at your disposal is great. There are many hos which I don't like but they are doable. The music is real irritating, so had to turn that down. Other than that I like it and am not sorry I got it. Its a looooong game also.

roaming
Clownfish
Clownfish
644 Posts

[Post New]by roaming on May 22, 14 11:15 PM
nontechiegrannie wrote:Basic, Boring Game that Plods Along - Based on Demo.

As others have said the graphics are dark, dreary & monochromatic. They are the usual cartoonish drawings without any realism.

Music is repetitious & just plain annoying.

Hint takes a minute to recharge which is 55 seconds too long for me. I didn't try the map, just went back & forth numerous times.

HOGS are usual mishmash with quite a few misnamed items.

The only character I saw was the cloaked figure & it seems to me there was no VO just a lot of written dialogue & instructions.

There is just nothing new or exciting about this game to make me want to buy it.
This isn't a bad game, but it isn't a great one either. There are no new ideas here. The story line, every problem, every solution, every mini-game and HOS item have all been done a gazillion times before.

The flashlight works well especially in the HOGs, but why should a flashlight even be necessary? Still, I thought it was a good addition that would be helpful in other games. I've always thought a tool belt, a working flashlight, and a loaded firearm would be obvious things for a detective to bring along on an investigation!

Even as a DD or COTW, this wouldn't be a buy for me, but I think some fishies new to the pond might like it.

Edited on 05/22/2014 at 11:31:24 PM PST

keeliesnanna
Squid
Squid
61 Posts

[Post New]by keeliesnanna on May 23, 14 10:21 AM
philanna3827 wrote:
NYtaxi wrote:sehr schlecht, man sieht beim 1. hos nicht die ränder und somit kann man nicht spielen, hab es sofort gelöscht. schade, schein gut zu sein.....

Say Whaaat??

very bad, you can see the first hos not the edges and thus can not play, have it removed immediately. pity translucent to be good ..... or words to that effect

Edited on 05/23/2014 at 10:22:38 AM PST

bachlein
Guppy
Guppy
151 Posts

[Post New]by bachlein on May 24, 14 11:01 AM
The ONLY way I could get the HOs at the edges of the frame, was to switch to a smaller screen, get the object, then switch back to full screen. Not the best game offered by Big Fish.

Go to: