what country am I in????

[Post New]by feenix2011 on May 23, 14 7:47 PM
I love trying different foods, traditions, and all that,but living in a city that is becoming 40% Hispanic and half of these persons deciding not to learn the language of the country they are living in, now do I have to learn German (?) to read reviews??? I do live in the US of A don't I???

feenix

Re:what country am I in????

[Post New]by haysconnie on May 24, 14 12:30 PM
I sympathize with your frustration about languages. But I am just chuckling about the language of this game - it looks like whoever designed it used Google Translate to come up with the English translations. some of them are so far out there it's hilarious.... I just picked up a pair of cuticle clippers that were described as "bolt cutters".... oy.....

tookat
Flounder
Flounder
2,099 Posts

[Post New]by tookat on May 24, 14 10:29 PM
I don't expect Devs in other countries to get the translations on their games correct...
and I have learned to just roll my eyes or laugh at most of them.

This game has a LOT of weirdly translated items.....and I found part of the challenge and the fun was trying to figure out what it was I was actually looking for.

I have also had to skip games and use hint more often than I care to.....
but I still don't regret getting the game and will be playing it through to the end....
something I don't always do.

RaceCat3
Marlin
Marlin
9,644 Posts

[Post New]by RaceCat3 on May 25, 14 12:51 PM
Seems like I've been playing this game forever! It is fun, but goes on, and on! I just played two HOPs---the first asked for a key--it was a monkey wrench. The second, asked for a wrench--and it was a key! Think I had one like that when I played last night too. LOL

ChocCherry
Guppy
Guppy
102 Posts

[Post New]by ChocCherry on May 30, 14 6:33 AM
It is a very good game but I am glad that we aren't graded on finding the hidden objects because of the misnaming in them.

fatandfrumpy
Guppy
Guppy
167 Posts

[Post New]by fatandfrumpy on Jun 1, 14 3:31 PM
I liked the brush that was crossed off as a comb, and the noose for a circle! I used a lot of time and hints on poor word definitions, but worth the fun. Great game, a lot longer than most SEs.

dccass
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
15 Posts

[Post New]by dccass on Jun 1, 14 5:50 PM
I believe that they call the noose a circle for some obscurity making it a bit more of a challenge. Technically a noose is in a shape of a circle. But I did notice a bit more in this game than most. All in all this was a great game to play.
On the note of the first poster about learning English when you move to an English speaking country I would agree. My grandparents and great grandparents came to America long ago from Italy and it was a priority for them to learn English. These days people do not seem to have that priority. Some do and some do not. Long ago when I lived and worked in Arizona, I had a helper who was from Mexico. He could speak no English and I spoke no Spanish. He was the best helper I ever had. We at first communicated non verbally. Then I started teaching him English and he taught me Spanish. We built a great friendship and I feel that I am the better for our friendship and knowing him. Language becomes a small barrier when you establish a friendship.

sackese
Starfish
Starfish
45 Posts

Who cares about "what country am I in????"

[Post New]by sackese on Jun 2, 14 9:24 PM
feenix2011 wrote:I love trying different foods, traditions, and all that,but living in a city that is becoming 40% Hispanic and half of these persons deciding not to learn the language of the country they are living in, now do I have to learn German (?) to read reviews??? I do live in the US of A don't I???

feenix

You know that the world is far bigger than the US, don't you? Not everything does revolve around people that "do live in the US of A"...

Edited on 06/02/2014 at 9:25:11 PM PST

Jurinne
Clownfish
Clownfish
606 Posts

[Post New]by Jurinne on Jul 19, 14 6:10 PM
I'm trying to figure out why anyone would want to put a singer or a type of oil which causes horrible things to happen to the person who swallows it (I know) on a cart to move it. It doesn't make much sense to me but then I thought a can was a can and not a jar and was not aware that something that is not rope could suddenly become rope.

But then I read non-words like "alittle" and "alot" from people who are supposed to be writing in English so I can't complain. I just think it's funny. That's "it's", not "its".

What is wrong with a review in a language other than English? Just copy it and paste it into Google Translate or don't worry about it as there are probably other reviews. English is not the only language used in countries where people buy games from BF! And as far as I know there is no rule that states reviews must be in English.

What's wrong with German?

Ruvyni
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
17 Posts

[Post New]by Ruvyni on Aug 7, 14 10:31 PM
Wow.

This is almost as bad as ''I shouldn't have to press one for english!''

America is a big melting pot, and the world does not revolve around english OR America.

Putting the review in Google Translate would have taken less time than making a post to complain.

I also do not think it's right to witch hunt members, either.

Go to: