TGT - Be a King

Poodlebear
Manatee
Manatee
4,049 Posts

TGT - Be a King

[Post New]by Poodlebear on Mar 26, 09 3:47 AM
Wow, not a peep from the other late nighters and it's almost been out for 4 hours...

Anyway: Played until the demo kicked me out and once again I am torn. I was very much enjoying myself, though nothing new, typical Resource Managment or I guess it could be called a Tycoon - build, defend, get materials, etc. but in what I considered a very attractive package. I like this sort of game that travels at a much less frantic pace then TIme Mangement or a Tower Defense game, but I know chances are I am still doomed to ultimate failure because I can not keep up the required speed. It does have a Relaxed Mode of sorts where you can turn off time limits placed on milestones needed to complete, but if all your people are starving and you can't hire enough heros to defend against the monsters the stress will still get to me.

I like it, am still considering buying even though I would be dooming tiny people, if not for my crummy crippled hands I would have already bought. So I guess I'll give it one of these:

Re:TGT - Be a King

[Post New]by catsholidayhome on Mar 26, 09 4:10 AM
Thank you - not for this again!!! But do appreciate your input.

Poodlebear
Manatee
Manatee
4,049 Posts

[Post New]by Poodlebear on Mar 26, 09 6:53 AM
Well thanks ! Looks like not a heck of a lot of interest in this one, eh?

I did buy it. The ability to turn off the timer seems, for now, to make it doable for me, tho still a bit hectic. I find this sort of game very mezmerizing, just clicking on the next little area to develope without thinking about the clock. Not scoring trophies in each area, but nice the game doesn't make that a fail, at least with the timer off anyway. You can replay any area to better your score if it matters. (not speaking to you I know you said not for you). *shrug* hopefully it won't become tooo difficult.

memawclay2
Salmon
Salmon
2,712 Posts

[Post New]by memawclay2 on Mar 26, 09 8:08 AM
I played 30+ minutes of the demo....trouble is, the Westwards have me so spoiled as to sheer content variety and gripping action that I fear any other resource mgt. game will leave me unsatisfied. I may set this one aside for later dry spells. There are too many other games coming soon that I will buy.

soymocha
Shark
Shark
11,574 Posts

[Post New]by soymocha on Mar 26, 09 8:14 AM
Thanks Poodle for your thoughts on the game. I was looking for a review on it from the night fishies.. I will have to go give it a try.

phatkhat
Stingray
Stingray
5,001 Posts

[Post New]by phatkhat on Mar 26, 09 8:58 AM
I hate it when I am sleepless, and wait to see what TGT brings, and it brings another of the ones I don't like! LOL!! Nope, not even going to download it. When I want to play one like this, I will dig up Fairy Godmother. (Which has a delightful storyline... )

HP just got Emerald City... Gonna play over there and see if I can finish it without having to buy it... There are so many large files I want, I hate to spend credits on short ones!

burkedd
Guppy
Guppy
127 Posts

[Post New]by burkedd on Mar 26, 09 10:08 AM
Played the hour and liked it. Cute story line but I wondering how many levels it has? If the map we see is all it is, then I will probably finish within about three hours unless it gets alot harder. I am playing the untimed mode.

I like the side quests, they are fun and you earn, most of the time, extra without having to buy it. (Wood, Stones, Gold) And earn extra citizens and knights.

Timed mode might be more exciting?

Like other time Mgmt games, you have to upgrade things and keep an eye out on the money.

So far the just of the games is to collect rent from citizens and then spend on wood, stones and then build and defend against monsters.

Am waiting until some more posts show up.

SueB990
Seahorse
Seahorse
33 Posts

[Post New]by SueB990 on Mar 26, 09 10:40 AM
couldn't play this one at all, hit play on the demo and it goes to black screen, sends my computer into restart mode. Never had that happen before. Really wanted to see what this one was like too! I will redownload and try again...

CynthiaV
Minnow
Minnow
255 Posts

[Post New]by CynthiaV on Mar 26, 09 11:50 AM
I don't know what it is about this quirky little game but I liked and bought it. It just mopes along and you build things and its as if you were a kind of god (which I think is the fascination with all these types of games, at least for me). I guess I liked playing with dollhouses when I was a kid but there is very little stress other than trying to kill off the hordes of monsters in latter stages (I learned that you have to have mage towers and upgrade them before you even upgrade your barracks). But all in all a kind of fun, no stress game with cute animations. The only negative is that it doesn't last long and I do kind of wish like someone else said that it was a bit more like Westward timewise but Westward can get awfully difficult and sometimes I'm just in the mood for a simpler less complicated game that I can actually complete and this one fits the bill. I can't tell you the number of games residing on my computer that I just haven't been able to get through and that frustrates the heck out of me.

I have gone back and re-played some villages so the replayability is still there and is still fun. Just my 2 cents

Edited on 03/26/2009 at 11:51:28 AM PST

rebacin
Squid
Squid
77 Posts

[Post New]by rebacin on Mar 26, 09 1:23 PM
I played 1/2 of the demo & I am still torn whether to buy or not. It reminds me a little of the Age of Empires Pc games (which I LOVE), but definitely not as good. I too am waiting for more posts before using a credit to buy this. The part I have played is ok..for something new to play/do until something new comes out.

DoobieBear
Flounder
Flounder
2,169 Posts

[Post New]by DoobieBear on Mar 26, 09 3:18 PM
I liked it enough to purchase and it was well worth my credit. There are aspects of Build a Lot and Ages of Empires in this game that I really enjoyed. I haven't played the timed mode so far because I like to figure out my strategy first. The different modes and quests that change around helps the replay value for me.

You basically get two games in one with this game. Strategy game without the timer and a Time Management game with the timer.

It's a nice, solid game that I really enjoyed playing. Now I'm going back to re-play it!!

cherbtoo
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
22,629 Posts

[Post New]by cherbtoo on Mar 26, 09 4:13 PM
I bought it too and I have finished it, but was very puzzed to find that you cannot build the Lumber Mill or Stone Mine. What is the point of having them if you cannot build them? I got "this is not available on this level" for every single game of the 23 Village/Hamlet games. I was fully convinced that I would be able to use them on the last 2 City levels but .. surprise surprise ... they were unavailable for those games too.

Did you get to build either of them Doobie or anyone else who has finished the game?

There was one thing I liked about the game and that was the music was not too intrusive, it was just nicely there in the background and made this one of the few games that I played with the music left on.

I really, really wish we could have one of these type of games where there was a random map generator and you could build what you want where you want and then take the fight to the enemy's village instead of defending your own all the time ... something along the lines of age of empires 2 would be really fantastic for me.

Poodlebear
Manatee
Manatee
4,049 Posts

[Post New]by Poodlebear on Mar 26, 09 4:55 PM
memawclay2 wrote:I played 30+ minutes of the demo....trouble is, the Westwards have me so spoiled as to sheer content variety and gripping action that I fear any other resource mgt. game will leave me unsatisfied. I may set this one aside for later dry spells. There are too many other games coming soon that I will buy.

This is exactly why I bought it! I bought I think it was Westward II loving it to start, but very quickly got waaaay to difficult for me to be successful. Far too hectic for me.

cherbtoo wrote:I bought it too and I have finished it, but was very puzzed to find that you cannot build the Lumber Mill or Stone Mine. What is the point of having them if you cannot build them? I got "this is not available on this level" for every single game of the 23 Village/Hamlet games. I was fully convinced that I would be able to use them on the last 2 City levels but .. surprise surprise ... they were unavailable for those games too.

Did you get to build either of them Doobie or anyone else who has finished the game?

This is interesting to me. I have seen the Lumber Mills available to build but have not tried to actually place one. I'm only about 1/3 into the game (and this was after several hours so it pays to be a tortoise sometimes ) so next time I play I'll try to stick one down and see what it says.

Poodlebear
Manatee
Manatee
4,049 Posts

[Post New]by Poodlebear on Mar 26, 09 5:49 PM

Ok, those of you wondering about duration: When you start you are working from a Map that says My Kingdom on a banner looking thing down on the right hand lower corner. This map has a good... oh, I dunno 30 villages/hamlets/cities to develope. I just clicked on the Map: My Kingdom banner and it opened a BIGGER map where the My Kingdom is just one of many Kingdoms! So oooodles of play here, I'm thinkin'.

I'll go count now, just wanted to give the heads up when I found that.

Update: The My Kingdom Map has 25 village/hamlet/cities to develope. The bigger map is called Map: Lost Lands and has 11 more Kingdoms which at this point are unclickable, I'm sure until I finish up the first. So So I can safely say at *least* 200+ Places to build.

Edited on 03/26/2009 at 6:00:13 PM PST

chimenesryan
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,447 Posts

[Post New]by chimenesryan on Mar 26, 09 5:54 PM
Ok just home from work going to download demo I love reading what others' opinions are.

cherbtoo
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
22,629 Posts

[Post New]by cherbtoo on Mar 26, 09 6:53 PM
Poodlebear wrote:

Ok, those of you wondering about duration: When you start you are working from a Map that says My Kingdom on a banner looking thing down on the right hand lower corner. This map has a good... oh, I dunno 30 villages/hamlets/cities to develope. I just clicked on the Map: My Kingdom banner and it opened a BIGGER map where the My Kingdom is just one of many Kingdoms! So oooodles of play here, I'm thinkin'.

I'll go count now, just wanted to give the heads up when I found that.

Update: The My Kingdom Map has 25 village/hamlet/cities to develope. The bigger map is called Map: Lost Lands and has 11 more Kingdoms which at this point are unclickable, I'm sure until I finish up the first. So So I can safely say at *least* 200+ Places to build.

OK Just played the first game on the Lost Lands and I could build the Lumber Mill and Stone Mine at last ... yippee. There are anoher 11 games to go, but will have to save them for tomorrow as it is nearly 2.00 am and time this hit the kelp fields.

SnowTiger1632
Catfish
Catfish
1,679 Posts

[Post New]by SnowTiger1632 on Mar 26, 09 7:01 PM
I enjoyed the demo, got through most of the My map hamlets before it kicked me off lol I might use a credit or save till later when I do a major buy of games. Didnt realise you could do a relaxed mode, the one it starts with seemed quite sedate to me.

Poodlebear
Manatee
Manatee
4,049 Posts

[Post New]by Poodlebear on Mar 26, 09 9:50 PM
SnowTiger1632 wrote:Didnt realise you could do a relaxed mode, the one it starts with seemed quite sedate to me.

It actually defaults to Relaxed mode. There's a Timed Levels(?) toggle on the map you have to click on for the timer. So if you didn't, you've been playing in relaxed. The beginning is rather calm. By the end of the first kingdom map it became more of a zergfest. Someone had commented about the importance of getting mage towers built quickly and I learned that lesson too.

memawclay2
Salmon
Salmon
2,712 Posts

[Post New]by memawclay2 on Mar 26, 09 10:17 PM
Thank you for the update Poodle ! Now I'm much more apt to buy this as it sounds far more involved than at first....of course Totem Tribe up and smacked me right between the eyes after it sneakily lulled me into believing it was a nice, tame stroll down Lollipop Lane ....

Poodlebear
Manatee
Manatee
4,049 Posts

[Post New]by Poodlebear on Mar 26, 09 10:40 PM
memawclay2 wrote:Thank you for the update Poodle ! Now I'm much more apt to buy this as it sounds far more involved than at first....of course Totem Tribe up and smacked me right between the eyes after it sneakily lulled me into believing it was a nice, tame stroll down Lollipop Lane ....

LOVED Totem Tribe and quickly learned to ignore all until you had mega defenses up and running! Sad thing with that one though is I can *not* do the rainbow road because on like one of the very last islands you had to get people into four magic circles? Remember that? To get to another place. I *can not* do it. So gems can not all be collected and I'll never get it done. I read strategies about it and everything, just can't seem to manage it.

No, this one doesn't have the complicated story type quests of the Westwards or Totem Tribe, but I'm enjoying it and yes, it does get more challenging Monster-wise! I'm off to build my next kingdom!

Go to: