Please post your REVIEWS for Awakening: The Redleaf Forest Collector's Edition here

[Post New]by pondprowler on May 31, 14 12:33 AM
A thread for your reviews!

Edited on 05/31/2014 at 9:27:05 AM PST

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Awakening: The Redleaf Forest Collector's Edition here

[Post New]by Anangelsprayer on May 31, 14 1:53 AM
I was so waiting for this game to come out. I love the guys at Boom Zap as they are one of my fave teams, but the way the beta ended, I was so tempted to ask you about this one part. God Boom Zap, the way you ended it, it got to me. Then when I saw it today, I didn't even bother to demo it. The VO's are done very well in the game, but I did notice Ran's voice changed or is it me?

Story: Sophia is on one final journey to reunite with her parents. (But is this the end)?
Only time will tell if she is able to get the Sword of Courage and defeat Dreadmyre. But right now the way things are looking, the only one who can make the blade has been taken by the evil ogre. That poor Centaur. So we have to follow the Ogre to get back the Centaur. Not only for the blade, but to reunite the Centaur with his son. That evil witch will stop at nothing to get what she wants.

Graphics: Truly gorgeous. The team did a fantastic job on them.

Music: Fits the game just right. It doesn't go all dramatic like some games. Very well done.

H0GS: So far I ran into a list and the type where you have to use one item to get another item. Those are one of my faves. As well done as the graphics were, you have no problems in telling what the items are suppose to be.

Mini Games: So far they were just fun and not to challenging. I don't know how it will be later on in the game.

Map: It has the exclamation point indicators and it is a jump map. Very well done on the map as these are the best kind.

All in all this is one well put together game. Definite ten. Thank you Boom Zap for another awesome game! Kudos to the team.

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Awakening: The Redleaf Forest Collector's Edition here

[Post New]by JustTheFacts on May 31, 14 2:23 AM
Must Have For Me!*****

BASED ON DEMO

FIRST IMPRESSIONS
LOVE how the main menu page looks 3D. The intro cut-scene covers the backstory well in just a few words. And then we are straight into the action. New twist on the vehicle accident *wink*.

SIGHTS & SOUNDS
As always, the graphics for the Awakening series are extraordinarily pretty, even when the quality is a leeetle bit off. The colours and imaginative locations, the clear and beautifully detailed objects – all as lovely as ever. The voiceovers continue from the previous games and are all very well done. The music is the signature tune plus a nice variety of others and many of the sound effects are also the same as previously.

The trailer at the end of the demo, graphically speaking, was very poor quality.

WHAT’S HAPPENING?
Our Queen Sophia is still looking to free her parents from the poisoned sleep induced by the evil Dredmyre. Could you enjoy this story without the previous games? I think yes. I enjoyed what I did despite not having finished the Awakening 5 game. (I know, shocking isn’t it?) But it would certainly help, since this is the final episode, that you have played the other games and can enjoy the upcoming sense of closure I am so looking forward to. There has been just one too many of these games.

Sophia must find the only blacksmith in the world that can forge the sword she needs to defeat Dredmyre permanently. Of course, everything goes wrong. I shall not say more, for it would spoil the effect, but all most certainly does not go as you’d expect it to. The end of the demo was such that I would have to buy this game just to get past that point emotionally. I say no more.

GAMEPLAY
There is some nicely refreshing gameplay here. The HOPs (21) are interactive list and progressive silhouettes, and the lists have some really clever twists to each of the 2 I completed. The mini-games (43) are also different, but not at all difficult yet. I completed a ‘puzzle board’ styled game without hint or skip, which is probably a first for me.

There is no journal, but a teleporting hint and an interactive jump map that indicates active tasks (on the lowest of 3 difficulty levels), cover most situations. The hint is our friend the owl again, and we still have our pet Pocket Dragon. Tasks are noted as they are added.

The demo only took me 45 minutes, and covered the first 2 chapters of 7.

CE BLING!
The gallery items include wallpapers x12, nice ones. Concept Art & Cut Scenes not available. Music x 12. Achievements, many. Mostly performance based. There are flower stones to collect (45), which can be used in the Garden, and Lilies to collect in there.

The Garden looks pretty cool. Enough for me to buy the CE for the first time with this series. You must buy seeds with your flower stones, collect them with a Match 3-like mini-game, and then combine and plant them in order to create the lilies from recipes. They are fun ones like “laughing lilies. (I didn’t get this from the demo, it was available in the beta) I enjoyed this unusual twist.

COMBINED IMPACT
Well, obviously, I liked it! I think its high points are the anticipation of a satisfying finish. The deeply emotional involvement right from the demo, and the freshness of the gameplay. I also think the bonus game in the Garden works.
I recommend this game!

Tufty57
Minnow
Minnow
229 Posts

[Post New]by Tufty57 on May 31, 14 2:54 AM
Cruel, cruel developers! I love you! Utterly awesome!

WARNING: SUPERLATIVE OVERLOAD!

Aaaarrrrgggghhhh! Just finished the trial and I have no choice! I have to have this game! How could you finish the trial there?

I am not going to tell you anything about the story/events - that would only spoil your enjoyment.

Now fellow players will know that I do not give 5 stars lightly and, this being, I believe, the 6th installment of this story, you might expect some complacency or repetition. NOT A CHANCE! This is just fantastic!

You go through the whole gamut of emotions within the very long trial, driven by the story and the challenges you face. How I got through rescuing the centaur's child while he sobbed in pain, I will never know!

You can read on for some game details if you like, but I say, "Just buy it! It is amazingly, gobsmackingly good!" Other posters will give you plenty of detail.

You probably do need to have played the other games to fully understand the story, but there are a few clues at the beginning to fill you in if you haven't.

Visuals and sound are just superb! Voices and the language they use is absolutely appropriate, nicely archaic to suit the genre of the story. Graphics are wonderfully colourful, characters are drawn beautifully with fantastic expression.

The gameplay I found challenging, mainly because it is too long since we had a game with puzzles and challenges of such complexity. I made too many assumptions and then slapped my forehead in frustration when I realised what I was REALLY being asked to do.

Puzzles crop up in unexpected places and in unique ways.
HOSs are awesome! Don't be fooled that they just look like word list or silhouettes!

CE stuff:
* 8 achievements, but really good ones in my view
* 15 lilies to find (quite easy) Though having read other reviews, I now realise I have got muddled.
* 45 collectibles - I am unsure what these are at the moment.
* Other usual bonuses

Enough now! I am off to buy and play. Do I recommend this game? It's a no-brainer!

Edited on 05/31/2014 at 2:58:32 AM PST

gamblebug
Herring
Herring
341 Posts

[Post New]by gamblebug on May 31, 14 3:09 AM
I love this series and I can't wait to buy.But will wait till the frist,don't want to start a new punch card.Really can't wait to see how the last one will end.

Thanks Boom Zap another GREATTTTTTTTT game

[Post New]by silverlady47 on May 31, 14 3:35 AM
At last a great game in the series that I love.

[Post New]by LuvDemGames on May 31, 14 6:44 AM
I don't know why I am bothering to try this game, I love this series. I own all five and I'm sure I will soon own this one too. This will complete my punch card for May, so no problem with purchasing today. That's my justification for purchasing it today, and I'm sticking to it. LOL

[Post New]by NancySusan on May 31, 14 6:48 AM
I have 4 others in this series, and I just felt I should have this one too. My only criticisms are that the color is a bit dark and sometimes the game seems a little confused about what the cursor should do next -- a little lag time. As everyone has said, it's not seriously challenging, but I'm happy to see the pocket dragon looking like itself and the owl currently, at least, sounds kind of consistently British, unlike in previous games where the accent slipped all over the place, but early days... The other voiceovers are very nice. The storyline pulls me in, and I'm happy to have the next one in the series. This is the second demo I've done recently with a 90 min. limit, which is interesting, but I'm buying after 55 mins.

MissAbby
Catfish
Catfish
1,709 Posts

[Post New]by MissAbby on May 31, 14 7:20 AM
This is a non-issue Many. It's already been cussed and discussed quite a while ago and Pondprowler is doing us a great favor by starting the "official" reviews thread. The Mods come to work later and they totally approve of her starting the Review and Tech threads. They sticky the threads to keep them at the top and add their forum rules. They wouldn't do this if they did not approve.

manysaying wrote:pondprowler, are you just trying to get higher in the evolution of fishes

Thank you once again Pondprowler for starting the Official Reviews and Tech threads!

Abs

jimeezlady
Starfish
Starfish
52 Posts

[Post New]by jimeezlady on May 31, 14 7:46 AM
Beta tested this one and LOVED it!! Nice to know I wasn't the only one who howled at the developers over the "ending" of the beta test. Talk about a cliff-hanger!!! It's a must buy for me!

bfgWendwater
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,911 Posts

[Post New]by bfgWendwater on May 31, 14 9:26 AM
Hello Everyone,

Welcome to the reviews thread! Please feel free to post your thoughts and feedback on Awakening: The Redleaf Forest Collector's Edition here. We appreciate the time you take to put your reviews together, and I know other gamers and the developers do as well. We just have a few guidelines to keep in mind when posting. Our goal with these is to keep the thread tidy, easy to navigate and helpful.

Review Guidelines

1) Be sure to keep your reviews on-topic. Reviews in this thread should only be commenting on Awakening: The Redleaf Forest Collector's Edition.
2) Be respectful of the reviewers. Please keep in mind our Forum Rules and be respectful of our reviewers. They take the time to post here to be helpful. Please do not review the reviews of others.
3) Do not respond to someone else’s reviews with questions or comments If you have any feedback about a review, or you feel that a review contains incorrect details about the game, please contact the poster directly via PM.
4) Do not review developers. While we do appreciate your feedback, we’d ask that you keep your posts in this thread dedicated to the specific game at hand.

*Moderators will be removing any content in this thread that is not a review.

If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to PM one of our Moderators.

bfgWendwater

dancemom1
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,198 Posts

[Post New]by dancemom1 on May 31, 14 10:09 AM
Hi all. Well, another addition to the Awakening saga. Yes, I have most all of the others, (Awakening Moonfell Wood; Goblin Kingdom; Dreamless Castle and Sunhook Spire), and all were very good. BoomZap is one of my favs. Colors were very vibrant and clean. Graphics were excellent, as was the game play. Music was the same as all the other in the series, so turned it down a bit. The few voice overs you had were well done (except for the crying boy - now that was annoying) and didn't just sound like they were reading a script. Few sound FX as well, but nicely done.

HOPs were fairly clean and clear. Items were not difficult to see, but some did take some thought to find. Ran across a couple of different ways to play and they were quite fun, but you have to see for yourself. Did not see any difficult puzzles in this one, but some were a little different as well.

Hint system filled quite quickly and was very helpful. Not only gives you a hint, but also transports you to your next area, if you want...time saver on this part. The map is the usual and naturally, is not identified by area name (aaaargh!). SG was the usual, but instructions were not as clear as they could have been. Just hope it stays on the last page visited when I exit the game. Frustrating to come back and have to search for the right chapter and page you need. This one does not have page numbers either! With the helpful hint, I didn't really find all that much need to use the SG.

The only collectibles I found were the rune looking stone flowers (some areas have more than one, so be on the lookout). Some are quite small and difficult to see, or blend very well into the background. Not as easy to spot at you may think. You are suppose to spend them in the garden and buy things, but I haven't found that yet. Also said there were "special" golden collectibles, but I guess they are too hard to see, as I haven't found any at all.

After so many lemons lately, it is nice to finally see a peach. Yes, I did like this game and have the need to add it to my continually growing collection. It was not all that challenging, but enough to keep me interested and wanting more. I think all levels of players will find this one fun. I will hold off and buy it when the new month starts...don't need any more points today.

As always, try it for yourself and see what you think. We all have different tastes in games and you may not care for this one at all. Thanks for the reviews.

Edited on 05/31/2014 at 10:20:45 AM PST

sunnyglow
Clownfish
Clownfish
804 Posts

[Post New]by sunnyglow on May 31, 14 11:27 AM
Hear ye, Hear ye - Middle Earth lovers, the Boomers return you to the Magical Forest in this magical sequel game replete with centaurs, trolls, ogres, and a beautiful (okay she's not beautiful - but she is cute) princess. This is a serenely blissful game for our wee little guppies in the pond or for their elders who want a nice, peaceful, relaxing game. I see that most of the fishes from across the Big Pond like this game; however, personally I find this game is very b-o-r-i-n-g. It must be a British thing, I guess! If you like challenging or fast action games - well folks - this is not it!

Our heroine, little Princess Sophia is back in another quest, this time battling the dastardly, evil Dreadmyre who has placed a sleeping curse on her parents. Yes, ye gentle folk - another ripoff of Sleeping Beauty and Maleficent! She needs to get the blacksmith centaur to create the "Blade of Courage" to defeat this evildoer and awaken her parents.

There are three levels of play. Again, devs - PLEASE ALLOW FOR CUSTOMIZATION OF THE GAME! You not only get a little helper for the game - you get two - a cutesy little pocket dragon and Ran, an owl. The collectibles are flower medallions which practically jump out at you. The puzzles are extremely easy which is why I recommend this game for the wee folk. The HOG puzzles are interactive and also very easy. The only negative I have concerning the game are the graphics which are atrocious for a CE! Wow! These are some of the worst graphics I have seen in awhile. I actually played all 90 minutes of this game which was excruciatingly difficult for me and every so often needed to get up to stay awake.

Being travel-worn, I was so looking forward to a challenging game from BF to play this weekend, but alas it is not to be! I " look upon myself, and curse my fate!" for lack of game of which to play. (Sorry Shakespeare - please don't throw your plume at me!) I rate said game 4 STARS OUT OF 5 STARS for basically an older child's game. I guess Nancy Drew and I are going to buddy up with her gal pal George this weekend to win a reality show. As "quoteth" the Iron Dragon from said game, "I have faith in you" (really got on my nerves hearing that dragon say that at least five times) my dearest BF that we will have an interesting, adult game next week!

Edited on 05/31/2014 at 11:30:34 AM PST

[Post New]by nontechiegrannie on May 31, 14 2:25 PM
# 6 of a DREADFUL cartoon series without any realism whatsoever.

Same old rehashed story of kidnapped relatives & you are now in hot pursuit of the evil doers. There is NOTHING new, exciting, fantastic or even remotely challenging about this game.

No lip sync with wooden characters & okay VO.

Usual UGLY muddy, monochromatic graphics. Lots & lots of red, blue & yellow. I find these types of graphics to be very hard on the eyes.

Music usual dreary, no thought behind it, kind.

HOGS were a pleasant surprise in this otherwise MEDIOCRE game. Lots of interaction & silhouettes which I like.

The cartoonish rendition of the dragon was hideous & off putting. The owl was much better, graphically speaking, & looked liked a cuddly stuffed toy.

Hint system was quick/good & teleported you to the appropriate place.

Definitely NOT a 4/5 Star game in my opinion. I know that I am in the minority as everyone has their own tastes. So try the demo & see what side of the star rating you are on.

In the meantime lets ZAP this BOOM before it spreads anymore!!!!!!!!!!!!

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on May 31, 14 6:44 PM
MissAbby wrote:This is a non-issue Many. It's already been cussed and discussed quite a while ago and Pondprowler is doing us a great favor by starting the "official" reviews thread. The Mods come to work later and they totally approve of her starting the Review and Tech threads. They sticky the threads to keep them at the top and add their forum rules. They wouldn't do this if they did not approve.

manysaying wrote:pondprowler, are you just trying to get higher in the evolution of fishes

Thank you once again Pondprowler for starting the Official Reviews and Tech threads!

Abs

Actually, anyone can start a Reviews and Tech. Issues thread. The mods have never forbidden anyone to start one. Maybe Pondprowler is doing you a great favour, but I am quite capable of starting a new thread myself.
I know why Pondprowler is always starting one, and I have no problems with that, I just wanted to point out that in my view, it's not a great favour. I know where to click for a "create new discussion" thread myself.

--- --- ---

That aside, apart from the very first "Awakening" game, I have never much cared for the ones that came after. Unfortunately, it's the same case with this game. I may consider getting the SE, but definitely not the CE.

sunnyglow
Clownfish
Clownfish
804 Posts

[Post New]by sunnyglow on Jun 1, 14 8:20 AM

Wow! Hey - my mom started with BF about 7years ago when I had "teeny" wings which now have grown into large adult wings with an attitude! Hey, baby - this is now my site! As you can see with a little over 600 posts, we have been real slackers as far as postings. We are the "snail fish" of BF.

Hey - BF - if I try really, really hard - don't go to work - and spend all day on this site - do you think I can get 2 million postings? Huh? This way I maybe able to get into the Guinness Book of World Records for having the most posts EVER on BF. Just think of the honor of having the MOST postings and spending all day on this site. It just has to just be more fun than being a ChemE processing and managing lines of production.

Also, if I get 2 million postings - can I be the Big Kahuna Tuna?? Just think of it - I would be the biggest fish ever on BF. Wow!

IN SHORT - POND PROWLER - YOU ARE A SWEETIE TO ACTUALLY DO THIS INSTEAD OF THE PAID STAFF AT BF. THANK YOU SO MUCH FROM ALL OF US WHO LIKE TO REVIEW

Edited on 06/01/2014 at 8:51:22 AM PST

keeliesnanna
Squid
Squid
61 Posts

[Post New]by keeliesnanna on Jun 1, 14 9:36 AM
Ive been waiting for this for sooooo long no demo for me just a buy buy buy one of my favorite series of games if you havent played them before you a missing out on a treat take advantage of the sale you wont regret it

edmee1947
Clownfish
Clownfish
629 Posts

[Post New]by edmee1947 on Jun 1, 14 10:02 AM
for me not the best of the serie!the story does not grab me,the graphics are average and minigames...well what minigames?the best of the game is in the bonus content with the garden and its puzzles!and yet i found them too easy!but for the fans of the serie ,enjoy,i think it is the last one,finally!nothing new and a lack of inspiration,but well done technically;i think i'm fed up with fairies and all that kind-cute and ETC....games!from time to time ,please,more adult ones will be good!

steve_san
Clownfish
Clownfish
586 Posts

[Post New]by steve_san on Jun 1, 14 1:05 PM
Same Forest, Different Tree

Ok, to begin, I do not own any of the prior games in the Awakening series. When I read the game summary and checked out the 3 screen shots, my excitement meter still pointed squarely at zero. But being the good soldier, I tried the demo anyway.

And I now believe that this game is absolutely ... no, sorry I don't believe any such thing. This game is obviously directed towards women - not that there is anything wrong with that in and of itself

What do I mean? Beginning with the color scheme and including just about everything else, this game is just a big turn off to us male gamers . I'm not even going to bother to explain because a) the developers know what I mean, and b) I would run out of space for this review (by now, some hope that happens, no doubt!).

Recently there have been an inordinate number of these type of games, so many that I no longer feel it is worthwhile to review them. Fact is, I have not been tempted to buy a game in weeks. I finally decided to put this into a review, not necessarily because this game is any worse than the others (it's certainly not) but just owing to the fact that this has been building for a while and it's a weekend and I have more time to write.

So hopefully there will be a change in the sea-nery (heh) and future games will appeal to many more schools of fish. Or else, well...

Edited on 06/01/2014 at 4:37:04 PM PST

NYtaxi
Seahorse
Seahorse
28 Posts

[Post New]by NYtaxi on Jun 2, 14 9:12 AM
Jede Woche Märchen, Drachen, Zwerge, Elfen und das Liebesleid der Prinzessinnen. Es ist zwar immer schön gestaltet, aber seit langer Zeit mehr als langweilig.
Es gibt Tausende Romane und Filme, kann man da nicht mal ein anderes Thema wählen?
Da war Cadenza endlich eine Ausnahme, was sehr, sehr gut war!!!!!!
Bitte nehmt doch mal ein anderes Thema, danke und Lg Tina

Go to: