Plz post your REVIEWS for Shadow Wolf Mysteries:Under the Crimson Moon Collector's Edition here

[Post New]by pondprowler on Jun 5, 14 12:32 AM
A thread for your reviews!

Edited on 06/05/2014 at 8:23:32 AM PST

bobobear
Flounder
Flounder
2,315 Posts

Re:Plz post your REVIEWS for Shadow Wolf Mysteries:Under the Crimson Moon Collector's Edition her

[Post New]by bobobear on Jun 5, 14 1:44 AM
I must be going bonkers. I downloaded this game tonight and just noticed that I had a 90 minute trial. When did they start this???? I buy games all the time, matter of fact I have like 300 of them and never noticed this.

By the way, the game looks great so far so I bought it. Going to continue playing before making further comment.

Re:Plz post your REVIEWS for Shadow Wolf Mysteries:Under the Crimson Moon Collector's Edition h

[Post New]by leapfrog0202 on Jun 5, 14 1:59 AM
bobobear wrote:I must be going bonkers. I downloaded this game tonight and just noticed that I had a 90 minute trial. When did they start this???? I buy games all the time, matter of fact I have like 300 of them and never noticed this.

By the way, the game looks great so far so I bought it. Going to continue playing before making further comment.

That I've noticed, it's just been this last week.

So far - 25 minutes - I'm enjoying the game. Haven't found morphing items or collectibles, but I'm not the best at either of those.

Turned it off because I was getting creeped out by the werewolves this late at night! Yes, I'm a wimp.

Tufty57
Minnow
Minnow
229 Posts

Re:Plz post your REVIEWS for Shadow Wolf Mysteries:Under the Crimson Moon Collector's Edition her

[Post New]by Tufty57 on Jun 5, 14 2:24 AM
Be prepared to jump out of your skin! But I won't spoil it for you!

Well, what a great addition to the Shadow Wolf series. I have 2 already and cannot believe I missed number 3 somehow (is downloading as I type!)

A nice long demo (90 mins and I played for 88) gets you really into the story and there are lots of 'jump' moments to keep you on the edge of your seat.

I won't, as ever, go into the story detail as you need to experience all the surprises and perplexities of this tale. Suffice to say, if you have Cynophobia, then do not go near this!

Game features and CE bling are very good.
* Map: jumpable and shows location, active areas and completed areas
* Magnifier: to use on each new character and find clues (I liked this a lot!)
* Analyser tool: Found this a bit pointless as it was obvious what most of the substances were, but an extra bit of fun
* Achievements to earn (15)
* Werewolf related artefacts to find
* A blank book: not sure what this is yet
* Three levels of play: Casual/Advanced/Hard
* Strategy Guide: Never use it so no info

Characters are good and convincing (lack of lip synch doesn't bother me)

Lots of ambient sound, especially howling and barking

A variety of HOSs, though each is revisited very quickly. Lots of good interactive features and some head scratching required. Also some items are a bit picky so if you are certain you are right, keep trying!

Puzzles are pretty straightforward and you can opt for a harder challenge.

This is a definite buy for me and playing the trial is highly recommended.

[Post New]by JustTheFacts on Jun 5, 14 3:05 AM
Good Solid Addition To A Solid Series****

BASED ON DEMO

FIRST IMPRESSIONS
Excellent start. The cut scene animations are great. The pace exciting, and the mood much darker than the previous Shadow Wolf games.

SIGHTS & SOUNDS
The early video clips are really something special, using both 2D and 3D art to create realistically savage wolves, who then bow down to an even more terrifying werewolf designed to give you nightmares. I’m impressed. The fire wolves are beautiful, but this is no sweet little ‘rabbit’ game.

The music fits in well with the scenes, but I do hear a hint of the old ERS tunes sneaking back in. Don’t do it guys! The voices are well done and intonation is excellent. The screams and howls and other ambient sounds from dogs and cats and nasty old owls are all good too.

WHAT’S HAPPENING?
A detective who by now must be the most experienced wolf investigator ever, you are called in on another case involving wolves and suspected werewolves. The issue doesn’t stay cloudy for long. On arrival, you are greeted by above mentioned savage wolves, who immediately cower and slink away when a huge werewolf appears on the roof. There are many threatening creatures around you, more dark than most ERS games, but I like that there are moments where the game simply laughs at its dire pretensions.

The story is a little confusing. At the moment, I seem to be suspecting everyone of being a werewolf, and all of them as victims. You are definitely going to need those detective skills of yours to solve this case. Luckily, you’ve brought the latest in cutting edge technology (1897-style) with you to field test it.

GAMEPLAY
What are you testing? An analyser that identifies unknown substances. When you receive some unknown ‘stuff’ into inventory, open the analyser and put the muck in it. Ask a few simple if stupid questions about the substance, and get your answer. You’ll then discover that is exactly what you needed most!

There is another new technique we use in this case. On greeting each new character, we keenly observe them using our magnifier, and find pieces of evidence – blood-stains on clothes, missing jewellery items, etc. While we are doing this, the character is held in stasis in sepia tones – I guess that symbolises time standing still.

The puzzle component seems to be more HOPs than others, and they are of several sorts. There are find multiple related items (such as metal), progressive silhouettes and replace items. You visit them twice each. As an alternative you can play a matching game which resembles mahjong but is actually a style of game I’ve never seen before. Personally, I found it a bit fiddly and preferred the HOP.

Adventure side is fairly straightforward, I had no real use for the directional hint, although I did use the interactive jump map a few times as a kick starter for my brain. You have a notebook that holds story notes and details of your investigation. There are 3 modes of difficulty. No black bar tips in the hardest. Some of the puzzles have a casual/harder toggle for them. I saw nothing outrageously different, but not boring either.

CE BLING!
The collectibles are simply pieces of evidence – a torn page, a posy of herbal flowers – that take up residence in a nicely displayed section. Each relates to werewolves folklore, and there is info given on it. The achievements are fun. They are the standard, but you have to crack open the rocking shield in front of those you’ve won, discover the figurine underneath, and then look up the creature in the bestiary (book with a paw print on it), where you get a description of its supposed character, strengths and weaknesses. The usual gallery items plus replayables.

COMBINED IMPACT
I enjoyed it. Will certainly buy it. But I’m not over the moon (groan). And I find the way certain concepts seem to coalesce in the minds of a few developers at the same time weird. I’ve just finished a review of an Eipix game, Dead Reckoning, which uses almost the same technique of collecting ‘evidence’ from the person under suspicion. How the heck does that happen?

I recommend this game!

cbtx
Stingray
Stingray
5,030 Posts

[Post New]by cbtx on Jun 5, 14 3:30 AM
The review by Tufty57 is very thorough and covers all the salient features. So I will stay away from long-winded comments, and get to it.

After the dismal 3rd entry in this almost forgotten, and, until now, a very weak series, the devs have bounced back nicely and surprisingly with an engaging and well crafted entry that is nicely presented, and, of course, features the beautiful artwork that ERS is known for.

In this game, most of the goofy and childish devices that ERS has been filling their games with have, thankfully, been left behind in favor of a solid story, nicely done and relevant HOS, puzzles with challenges appropriate to the adult audience, and interesting new contraptions that have nothing to do with cute little animals, or dressing/equipping same.
There is a magnifier to use to discover clues that is fun and different, for example. And an analyzer which may or may not be useful as the game goes on ---- can't tell yet.
Sound effects are prevalent (so far) rather than their looping musical tunes ---- a very welcome change that adds to the spooky doings.

The CE material is the same useless bric-a-brac we always see.

So as I've always said ---- when any dev has a good game, I will be glad to say so, and this is a good one that I will buy. And it's for adults. More like these, ERS, please.

bfgMurrumbidgee
1,338 Posts

Re:Plz post your REVIEWS for Shadow Wolf Mysteries:Under the Crimson Moon Collector's Edition he

[Post New]by bfgMurrumbidgee on Jun 5, 14 8:23 AM
Hello Everyone,

Welcome to the reviews thread! Please feel free to post your thoughts and feedback on Shadow Wolf Mysteries:Under the Crimson Moon Collector's Edition here. We appreciate the time you take to put your reviews together, and I know other gamers and the developers do as well. We just have a few guidelines to keep in mind when posting. Our goal with these is to keep the thread tidy, easy to navigate and helpful.

Review Guidelines

1) Be sure to keep your reviews on-topic. Reviews in this thread should only be commenting on Shadow Wolf Mysteries:Under the Crimson Moon Collector's Edition .
2) Be respectful of the reviewers. Please keep in mind our Forum Rules and be respectful of our reviewers. They take the time to post here to be helpful. Please do not review the reviews of others.
3) Do not respond to someone else’s reviews with questions or comments If you have any feedback about a review, or you feel that a review contains incorrect details about the game, please contact the poster directly via PM.
4) Do not review developers. While we do appreciate your feedback, we’d ask that you keep your posts in this thread dedicated to the specific game at hand.

*Moderators will be removing any content in this thread that is not a review.

If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to PM one of our Moderators.

LovetoMissLisa
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,823 Posts

Re:Plz post your REVIEWS for Shadow Wolf Mysteries:Under the Crimson Moon Collector's Editio

[Post New]by LovetoMissLisa on Jun 5, 14 10:09 AM
I'm a huge fan of ERS ...but I have to rave even more about this game... more than other's. I love this Series already...but this edition is top notch!

How cleaver to have added the extra way to be the investigator with the spy glass and extra clues! Brilliant!! I love this game and I'm so happy to see another edtion to the Series. Well Done ERS!

This is a must buy IMO. But always try the game to make sure you love it as much as myself.

I've only given my top rating once before...and now this one is getting it. This game has added something new to the game...and it's the best of the best! Enjoy this Winner!

I rate this game: "DEVINE FINE SWINE" My Best Rating!

“These are my terms" for hogs, I hogs, frogs & adventure games.

“DEVINE FINE SWINE”
The absolute best of the best! It has everything you want in a game and things you didn’t know you wanted in a game.
It is a rare beauty and a must have! Beyond expectations! I really love it!

“FINE SWINE”
Great game! Best graphics and storyline. All the bells and whistles! The best and greatest of games! I love it!

“PIGLET”
Good game. I like these little gems! This game is for true lovers of these types of games.

“PORK BELLY”
May be a likable game for some, but not for everyone. It’s just mediocre.

“TROTTERS”
Don't run away with this pig’s foot. LOL

“PIG DOWN”
Rolling in the mud! Don’t go near it or you'll get soiled.
‘ ‘
(o)
edited: spelling & SAY: THANK YOU TO ALL THE REVEIWERS!

Edited on 06/06/2014 at 11:58:58 AM PST

Re:Plz post your REVIEWS for Shadow Wolf Mysteries:Under the Crimson Moon Collector's Edition he

[Post New]by daisyduck352 on Jun 5, 14 10:15 AM
Couldn't wait for this game to be released. Didn't even try it but purchased. I love all the other Shadow Wolf Mysteries so this one will be great too. Graphic great, music great, story great.. Thanks for a game that I will enjoy .. Give this 5 out of 5 stars.. ERS is one of my favorite developers..

dancemom1
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,198 Posts

[Post New]by dancemom1 on Jun 5, 14 1:05 PM
Hi all. Well, the dog is back and he isn't happy. I have the first 3 in this series, Curse of the Full Moon, Bane of the Family and Cursed Wedding, all of which were excellent games. This one is no different. Superior graphics, bright clear colors and awesome game play. I really liked the music in this one, which is very unusual for me. It played right into the story and what was happening at the time, along with building up to something that was going to happen and then following through...very well done. Voice overs were also very nice, but would have been better if they had accents. Most werewolf stories were in Europe, but well done anyway. Lots of sound FX, which were extremely well done. You don't just hear the werewolf, you have cats and bugs and everything else. Can you tell yet that I liked it?

SG is the same and is helpful, but I found that the hint system worked so well that I really didn't need the guide. Hint fills at the usual rate, but not too slowly. HOPs were mixed well, with silhouettes, where does this item go and find a number of werewolf related items. Different and fun in that you had found items that had to be analyzed and then used. I did not find the puzzles difficult at all.

This game has a lot of achievements, much like all others, and a lot of things to do to keep you very busy. The only collectibles I found are the pages that give you more information about werewolves, which is interesting. I did note from the beginning that the main werewolf was much bigger and uglier than in the previous games. If you don't like things jumping out at you, then this isn't the game for you. These dogs are sneaky.

This game grabbed my attention from the very beginning and kept it throughout the demo. Yes, I am going to purchase this game. I'm glad to see that ERS has not lost their edge on this series. I believe this game will appeal to all levels of players.

As always, try it for yourself and see what you think. We all have different tastes in games and you may not care for this one at all. Thanks for the reviews.

sunnyglow
Clownfish
Clownfish
804 Posts

Re:Plz post your REVIEWS for Shadow Wolf Mysteries:Under the Crimson Moon Collector's Editio

[Post New]by sunnyglow on Jun 5, 14 5:08 PM
"Even a man who is pure in heart and says his prayers by night may become a wolf when the wolfbane blooms and the autumn moon is bright." Okay - I happen to like old movies and this quote is from the original one with Lon Chaney Jr. This game is like a little vignette of the original movie. It is as campy and well-done thanks to one our best devs on this site!

We have a sequel game in the "Shadow Wolf Mysteries" by the GamERS. For you detective buffs, this is a GREAT GAME! Well done GamERS! I love this game and will purchase. Thank you BF for listening to our heart-wrenching complaints about lack of adult games.

You are a detective called in by Ellis Cote to help solve a rash of wolf attacks in her town. She thinks her neighbor, Martha, is the culprit, having been bitten by a wolf as a child. Meeting sweet, innocent looking Martha, you have your doubts; however - looks can be deceiving and even a "devil" is one form of an "angel." You yourself see a werewolf. Is Martha the werewolf? - or could it be Ellis' brother, François? Could it be someone else?

This is an adult game for those who are looking to escape the usual sugar-laced "cutesy" fare on this site. This is such a neat game with the exception of a few irritations (there must always be a few of those, right?) You are have three levels of play. In this game, customization is not necessary. This should be played in the dark for the ultimate sensation of scary creepiness. However, this effect is "slightly" reduced by the constant baying of the wolves and the shrieking cat (which becomes annoying - less is more devs). The HOP scenes are nicely done and you have the option to play an interesting and devilish matching game. I have never seen this game before and it is slightly unique. Well done devs! The graphics are beautiful as usual for this dev. I love Martha's cat who shows individuality and has an attitude, living in a doghouse. My kind of cat! You have an analyzer which identifies substances you encounter in your search. You use a magnifying glass to search for clues on each person. The puzzles I have encountered are unique as well. The collectible items are items and information relating to werewolves. I love this game! What else can I say? It is well-crafted and long awaited from this dev. I rate this game 6 STARS OUT OF 5 STARS. The bonus star is for improved performance by this dev.

Edited on 06/05/2014 at 5:15:16 PM PST

Sherryah
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
479 Posts

[Post New]by Sherryah on Jun 5, 14 6:14 PM
I bought this Game immediately even though I didn't think I would because I already have werewolf Games I have not finished.

This Game has made me jump more than one time when the werewolf appears! The cut movie clips are done so beautifully, along with the Voices, and Graphics. I really love the mystery of the Game finding out who we can, or cannot trust, and who will die next and the motive for killing.

I love using the analyser to identify objects.

I usually groan when I see another hidden object screen , but ERS kept every hidden object screen a joy to play! This is not just a long random list with a few interactive objects but majority of the objects. I appreciate the choice for all if we don't want to play hidden object screen , there is another Game. I haven't played the other game because the hidden object screens are so much fun! I seldom need a clue. Thankfully this Game gives us much interactivity it is not just one hidden object screen after another. This Game has a mystery to solve and the interactivity makes it feel more like adventure Game, which is my favourite Game.

The map is very beautiful graphics where we can easily see what has been finished and what area has not been entered yet.

I love the Mini Games, I have skipped a few because of impatience just wanting to get on with the story but the majority I enjoyed playing and won them.

I enjoy the collectable items we find as they are placed in a special room, describing why the object is important.

The Characters are interesting and beautifully detailed even there clothes. I enjoy inspecting them for clues with the magnifying glass.

This is a Game that deserves a Game of the Year award. I hope it is a very long Game because it will be sad to see it end.

I highly recommend the Game if you like a Game that gives you a unexpected scare. The werewolf does not look like the standard image that never looks scary to me. The image of the werewolf really looks frightening.

This Game is gorgeous! I also enjoy the music chosen for it .
If I could I would rate it 10 stars!

iamshiva
Guppy
Guppy
167 Posts

[Post New]by iamshiva on Jun 6, 14 2:43 PM
I agree with the other revieers who enjoyed this game. No cute helper, new things to do & a little challenge. I must have missed it, is there a bonus chapter & how long?

steve_san
Clownfish
Clownfish
586 Posts

[Post New]by steve_san on Jun 6, 14 2:46 PM

Count Me As Not Over The Moon

Clearly there is something very wrong with me as I found the demo to be at times terribly predictable, and other times just plain idiotic.

Every so-called "scare" was woefully telegraphed, and I found myself anticipating what was going to happen next - as if I had played the game before (I hadn't).

Yet another disappointing game continuing the pattern of the last month. Not even worth an in depth review.

[Post New]by nontechiegrannie on Jun 7, 14 1:02 PM
Based on Demo: What a pleasant surprise, a game I could actually give 4 stars too.

Graphics colorful & crisp without being overwhelming.

Would have liked some lip movement when the characters were speaking. The VO could have been better. The voices did not seem to fit with the characters they were portraying.

I felt the HOG/mini games were a step-up from the usual redundant ones that come with every game.

The story moved along nicely though some of the movements from area to area could have been better thought out.

I especially got a kick out of the cat in the doghouse that growled & showed it's teeth whenever you moused over it. Nice kitty, kitty!!

Once in a while when trying a demo the game freezes up & I have to control/alt/delete & sign in again. This happen 5 times during the trial but I persevered & completed the demo.

tesamoine
Herring
Herring
387 Posts

[Post New]by tesamoine on Jun 9, 14 6:04 PM
This is a definite improvement over the last 3 games in this series. Based on the dates they were released, however, there SHOULD be an improvement by now. I'm not a huge fan of ERS games. I find them all very similar and very simplistic. This was really no different. Yes, it was certainly an improvement over the 3rd in the series of the "Shadow Wolf" games, but it's nothing to write home about. The HOS were almost childlike. No lip movement, which drives me crazy. Puzzles were simplistic and I am not a puzzle buff. Graphics were the usual ERS graphics. Music was the usual ERS music. This game reminded me of one of the later Dark Tales games with the analyzer. I don't think this really merits CE standards. It was ok. I did play the other 3 and may eventually pick this one up on a DD. However, I wasn't impressed.

exact
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
434 Posts

[Post New]by exact on Jun 13, 14 3:45 PM
Without going to any length on a review I can say that this is one of BFG''s best games! I could easily play it over again and again! I would definitely give it five stars.

Edited on 06/13/2014 at 6:01:23 PM PST

sandicats5
Clownfish
Clownfish
573 Posts

[Post New]by sandicats5 on Jun 28, 14 11:14 AM
just finished, great HOP Love all the Shadow Wolf games but this one was great. strange ending thou.

Go to: