Mis-named items

[Post New]by DaisyMaeDriver on Jun 5, 14 12:59 PM
Today I was playing Rosetum Gardens and was asked to find a cat-of-nine-tails so of course I'm looking for a whip. My pet pointed out the cat-tail reeds.

If you find anything else please post the location and what it is/should be here.

Re:Mis-named items

[Post New]by DaisyMaeDriver on Jun 7, 14 7:40 AM
Have I mentioned that I love the treasure vault? No? Maybe there is a reason for that....
Okay new quest and a few more things to be looked at.

Oil Lamp in back room vault. If you want to find it you need to be able to see more than the top knob and handle. (hint, it's hiding on the lower left side of the central plinth behind something can't remember what at the moment)

Hair brush in side room, in any other culture I've visited so far, it's a hair comb

Slipper in back room vault - flip flop (slippers have an enclosed toe)

charlieisr
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,323 Posts

[Post New]by charlieisr on Jun 7, 14 1:34 PM
I HAVE OFTEN NOTICED THAT THOSE WHO CREATE THE GAMES HAVE NO IDEA WHAT SOME ITEMS A CALLED IN THE REAL WORLD. THEY SPEND TOO MUCH TIME WITH CODE AND COMPUTERS. I BET MOST OF THEM HAVE BEEN THAT WAY SINCE EARLY CHILDHOOD.

I AM OLD SO I GREW UP WITH KNOWING WHAT THINGS ARE CALLED IN THE REAL WORLD. IF YOU DIDN'T THEN YOU WERE THOUGHT STUPID.

I HAVE ONE SON LIVING AND BREATHING COMPUTERS. BUT HE DID NOT GET HIS FIRST UNTIL HE WAS IN MIDDLE SCHOOL. SO HE HAD LEARNED WHAT THING ARE CALLED.

JUST VENTING, THE UP DATE HAS ME A LITTLE STEAMED. I USED MY CRYSTALS TO GET THE BLOODY ANIMAL. AND THEN I SAW A LIST OF THE THINGS THESE QUEST ARE GOING TO TAKE TO FINISH. I AM OLD NOW, BY THE TIME I FINISH IF I FINISH I MAY BE TO OLD TO CARE. OR IN THE GROUND.

NoFishToday
Salmon
Salmon
2,712 Posts

Mis-named items

[Post New]by NoFishToday on Jun 12, 14 2:34 PM
DaisyMaeDriver wrote:Today I was playing Rosetum Gardens and was asked to find a cat-of-nine-tails so of course I'm looking for a whip. My pet pointed out the cat-tail reeds.

If you find anything else please post the location and what it is/should be here.

At Rosetum, in the same room as the "cat o' nine tails" I noticed the "cabbage" is not round like those I've seen or purchased in grocery, and to me, looks more like "romaine lettuce"

Acashy
Guppy
Guppy
153 Posts

[Post New]by Acashy on Jun 12, 14 2:48 PM
In the Treasure Vault:

In the backroom (the one that needed a light to open) it asks for mask of Anubis (dog). After clicking on anubis several times (on the stoneslab) I used the helper which wanted me to click on the mask of Apis/Hep (bull)....

In the mainroom, one of the riddles asks for an item with two lenses which would be the spythingie (one lense on each end). But the item they want is the binoculars which has four lenses, two on each end...

cabega
Herring
Herring
366 Posts

[Post New]by cabega on Jun 12, 14 4:55 PM
In every HOS-Games are different names for same items,
or otherwise same names for different items.

A Bow you can
use with arrows, or you make it with a ribbon.

A Owl can be
a Bird or a Owl

A shoe can be
a Boot, a Shoe, a Slipper, a Flipflop.

A Brush can be
a Comb, a Painbrush, Toothbrush, or Brush

and so on ........

chris30s
Minnow
Minnow
259 Posts

Mis-named items

[Post New]by chris30s on Jun 12, 14 5:10 PM
NoFishToday wrote:At Rosetum, in the same room as the "cat o' nine tails" I noticed the "cabbage" is not round like those I've seen or purchased in grocery, and to me, looks more like "romaine lettuce"

It's probably meant to be Chinese cabbage (bok choy)... at least that's how I think of it.

Edited on 06/12/2014 at 5:11:07 PM PST

Mrssfox
Herring
Herring
351 Posts

Mis-named items

[Post New]by Mrssfox on Jun 12, 14 5:21 PM
chris30s wrote:
NoFishToday wrote:At Rosetum, in the same room as the "cat o' nine tails" I noticed the "cabbage" is not round like those I've seen or purchased in grocery, and to me, looks more like "romaine lettuce"

It's probably meant to be Chinese cabbage (bok choy)... at least that's how I think of it.

Not bok choy, that would be long and slender - lookin like a mix of celery and lettuce leaves.

If you ever grew a cabbage in the garden, that's what it looks like. All leafy and can barely see the edible part. Next time you buy one in the grocery store, look at the "stem" area - it will be about an inch and a half wide because they cut all of that off and only wrap the ball or head. Brussel sprouts also come out of a nest of leaves.

Cat-o-nine tails is another term for the bulrushes, not sure how the whip got that name.

[Post New]by DaisyMaeDriver on Jun 12, 14 9:21 PM
The whip got that name because it has multiple ends 4 or 6 is common. To make it even more "effective" they usually had a knot tied in the thong a few inches from the end. When applied the knot would gouge out flesh.....

[Post New]by DaisyMaeDriver on Jul 7, 14 4:50 PM
Found a new one. In the Druid's Hut. They ask for a dove. Click the seagull

edit

Also the druids hut ask for sugar glider. Click the ferret

Edited on 07/08/2014 at 9:33:07 AM PST

sazoria
Clownfish
Clownfish
649 Posts

[Post New]by sazoria on Jul 8, 14 8:13 AM
In stone circle they ask for sphinx but it's one of those mummy masks (can't remember the name) and in skyfleet docks they ask for a whip but you have to click on something that I'm pretty sure is a riding crop.

There are loads more but I can't remember right now.
Mainly it's the turtle thing that annoys me most because there are so many in the games that are obviously tortoises and they are always referred to as turtles, and just when you think that maybe BZ have just never heard of tortoises and refer to everything similar as turtles, an actual turtle shows up and they call it a tortoise!
It's not that hard to tell the difference, does it have flippers?!

[Post New]by DaisyMaeDriver on Jul 8, 14 9:34 AM
sazoria wrote:In stone circle they ask for sphinx but it's one of those mummy masks (can't remember the name) and in skyfleet docks they ask for a whip but you have to click on something that I'm pretty sure is a riding crop.

There are loads more but I can't remember right now.
Mainly it's the turtle thing that annoys me most because there are so many in the games that are obviously tortoises and they are always referred to as turtles, and just when you think that maybe BZ have just never heard of tortoises and refer to everything similar as turtles, an actual turtle shows up and they call it a tortoise!
It's not that hard to tell the difference, does it have flippers?!

A riding crop is a whip
all tortoises have feet. Not all turtles have flippers.

[Post New]by AngelaSophia on Jul 8, 14 10:32 AM
There's also one in gnome village. They ask for a cacti, you have the click on the cactus

madrabbit
Guppy
Guppy
184 Posts

[Post New]by madrabbit on Jul 8, 14 11:31 AM
AngelaSophia wrote:There's also one in gnome village. They ask for a cacti, you have the click on the cactus

Cati is singalar for catus catus refers to more then one cati means one cati (catus) look it up numnum

tweens63
Seahorse
Seahorse
25 Posts

[Post New]by tweens63 on Jul 8, 14 6:25 PM
In the Stone Circle they ask for a hummingbird but it's a woodpecker you need to click!

ChestnutHeights
Salmon
Salmon
2,542 Posts

[Post New]by ChestnutHeights on Jul 8, 14 10:20 PM
Tweens-- I noticed that one too.. it took me a while to click on it, because I kept looking for a hidden hummingbird!

Here's mine.. in Stone Circle they ask for a hedgehog. But it's a porcupine.

Edited on 07/08/2014 at 10:20:58 PM PST

Luckypool
Clownfish
Clownfish
607 Posts

[Post New]by Luckypool on Jul 9, 14 5:07 AM
madrabbit wrote:
AngelaSophia wrote:There's also one in gnome village. They ask for a cacti, you have the click on the cactus

Cati is singalar for catus catus refers to more then one cati means one cati (catus) look it up numnum

Not at all nice to call someone a numnum, particularly when your grammar and spelling is extremely suspect itself.

I've got used to the mis-named items now, some of them are baffling at first, but it's funny how you begin to accept it as you laboriously re-click the same old HOS!

ekstra2000
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,357 Posts

[Post New]by ekstra2000 on Jul 9, 14 7:29 AM
In a lot of cases, these "misnamed" items can actually be used to increase your vocabulary. The "cat-o-nine-tails" is one such example...a word with many meanings. And a "bow" can also be a fiddlestick (the one you draw across the strings); a fiddlestick can be the furled up end of a fern that's reproducing; a fan can be electric as well as manual, etc. I don't think that it is that the programmers don't know the "normal" terms; I think they're trying to make us think a little bit. I will admit that labeling a woodpecker as a hummingbird or vice versa is an issue, but merely calling something by a less common name may add variety to the game. Certainly "cacti" is the plural of cactus, but the item we should click on is fairly obvious. I LOVE the fact that there are multiple names used, and less common ones. I don't love the obvious errors, but before we label something as a misnomer we should check a good dictionary to see if there's a definition we didn't know about. I also like the fact that the bow is different is several scenes...a pink ribbon or a gold one, an archery bow, etc. It's not so much fun when the item looks exactly the same in every scene.
For chuckles, however, I always love the riddle that asks: "Which came first, this or the chicken?" the answer is almost always a quail egg. (Except in Rosetum.)

ekstra2000
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,357 Posts

[Post New]by ekstra2000 on Jul 9, 14 7:31 AM
Please forgive the grammatical errors in the last sentence of the previous post. I wasn't paying attention and missed a period and a capital letter.

Go to: