Please post your REVIEWS for Battle Ranch here

[Post New]by pondprowler on Jun 10, 14 12:35 AM
A thread for your reviews!

Edited on 06/10/2014 at 8:48:41 AM PST

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Battle Ranch here

[Post New]by ElizabethR1533 on Jun 10, 14 6:08 AM
I have played the game for 40 minutes in demo.
The game is very similar to Plants Vs Zombies, although lacks the charm and humour that PvZ has.
You plant seeds (instead of suns), and collect the fruit produced to gain points to buy weapons to shoot at the enemy.
The enemy are pigs dressed up as various pirates or bandits, it seems. The graphic of the girl in the cowboy outfit seems to bare no resemblance to the game itself, unless I missed something in the introduction.

It's enjoyable enough, and it's a welcome change from the week upon week of HOG and M3 games. It seems harder than PvZ so far, but not ridiculously hard like some of the TD games around. Some of the weapons are amusing enough, but I CANNOT work out how the "cages" work! Nothing happens when I click on them, then on the pig.
The game is slow to load, and so far it 40 minutes, has frozen once and booted me once. Not a great start, really?

The game is fun enough, and I will probably buy it after the demo is over.

(BTW, BF, where is PvZ 2? It's all over IOS and Android but nothing for PC so far. And please NOT as a pay-in-game. I have asked the manufacturers, but they just ignore me, and I KNOW you are reading this, BF.)

Edited on 06/10/2014 at 6:09:10 AM PST

mtvoyager
Herring
Herring
318 Posts

[Post New]by mtvoyager on Jun 10, 14 8:41 AM
It's too much for me. I feel like I should elaborate here, but words fail me.

bfgVaiya
Salmon
Salmon
2,557 Posts

[Post New]by bfgVaiya on Jun 10, 14 8:48 AM
Hello Everyone,

Welcome to the reviews thread! Please feel free to post your thoughts and feedback on Battle Ranch here. We appreciate the time you take to put your reviews together, and I know other gamers and the developers do as well. We just have a few guidelines to keep in mind when posting. Our goal with these is to keep the thread tidy, easy to navigate and helpful.

Review Guidelines

1) Be sure to keep your reviews on-topic. Reviews in this thread should only be commenting on Battle Ranch.
2) Be respectful of the reviewers. Please keep in mind our Forum Rules and be respectful of our reviewers. They take the time to post here to be helpful. Please do not review the reviews of others.
3) Do not respond to someone else’s reviews with questions or comments If you have any feedback about a review, or you feel that a review contains incorrect details about the game, please contact the poster directly via PM.
4) Do not review developers. While we do appreciate your feedback, we’d ask that you keep your posts in this thread dedicated to the specific game at hand.

*Moderators will be removing any content in this thread that is not a review.

If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to PM one of our Moderators.

bfgVaiya

Edited on 06/10/2014 at 8:50:32 AM PST

GeorgeTSLC
Manatee
Manatee
3,919 Posts

Re: Please post your REVIEWS for Battle Ranch here

[Post New]by GeorgeTSLC on Jun 11, 14 11:31 AM
Not bad. Like the other reviewer said, it's a Plants vs. Zombies clone, and the mutations aren't particularly favorable.

In particular, I miss having the lowdown on the attackers' capabilities. You're apparently supposed to guess from the art. Which isn't too hard, but still.

The defense layout help offered is, at least up thru the hour demo, simple-minded to the extreme.

Never did figure out how the cage was supposed to work, either.

Not a buy for me.

[Post New]by reebeerocks on Jun 13, 14 7:12 PM
This game seems kind of dumb initially but once I got going it became very addictive! So far I'm to the end level, have solved the extra games in both sections, have all but the expanded cow ranch to purchase. This game is alot of fun figuring out which way you need to lay out the battlefield to be effective. I play it (and most games) with the music off.

The cages that people are talking about are dropped by some of the dead boars. You click on them quickly before they disappear and they're stored until you click on them beneath your garden to catch a boar in your garden. Click on the little net icon beneath the garden, then click on the boar when it's standing up. (Easier though to just use a green pepper on the first square of the game board and the explosion extends into the garden one square).

I'd give this game 5* for being engaging, and minus off a star for no apparent level select.

Yaelle
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,317 Posts

[Post New]by Yaelle on Jun 16, 14 9:33 AM
OH. MY. GAWD.
I don't know what I just spent the past hour doing. I mean, I literally do not know what I spent the past hour doing. I was trying to figure this game out - let me just mention the obvious inspiration behind this game happens to be one of my top oh... two? favorite PC/Mac games ever. Its that good - just to give you some idea where I'm coming from I wanted to mention that. So right off the bat Battle Ranch has a lot to live up to by so obviously mimicking the greatest. (I mean, it won 30+ Game of the Year awards, and for a reason. )

This game? I have no idea. I don't think the issue is even that its got a steep learning curve with no instruction so much as it just doesn't really make any daggone logical sense! Or if it does make sense, things don't gel together the way they ought to. I don't even know what to say here. I really don't. What just happened to me while playing?! I feel like I've been hit in the head with a watermelon.

As shameless a knockoff as Battle Ranch is, its that much more confusing & unhelpful with instructions. Is the lack of directions standing in the way of me seeing that it might actually be good?? I don't even know. It seems to have a lot of "stuff" in it. Or not. I couldn't even tell you. With or without the comparisons to what its emulating/copying/knocking off/copyright thieving, it still doesn't work.

Maybe there's some way that the creators of this can take it back & give us something that works, along with some intelligible directions. Lacking some heavy editing & an actual tutorial, this gets seven thumbs down & its not even a HOG, so that's saying a lot coming from me.

[Post New]by thang_ on Sep 6, 14 6:20 PM
I bought this game for my wife to play (at a ridiculously low price I might add) when the developers of PvZ decided to go 3D and touch screen and online only - (presumably because of the lure of the dollar)!

So far she has been playing it for hour on hour, getting mighty frustrated but also getting a lot of enjoyment and definite "bang for my buck" - and that's an understatement.

She plays it on an ultrabook and it is the PERFECT (and only) replacement for PvZ. This is a good game developers but in my view it hasn't been marketed properly because it really, really should have taken off better than it has and filled the vacuum left by PvZ.

The graphics are really nice (but you do need a decent card if playing on a notebook/ultrabook), the game play is great and it is NOT a walkover, it takes practice and skill and thought.

I recommend this game very highly. So does my wife, when she's not throwing the ultrabook against the wall!! (just kidding). Perseverance is the name of the game, stick with it - it's really a very good game.

Developers - keep it up and develop an improved V2.0 and I for one will be buying it, even at an increased price. Also, re-think your marketing strategy - a lot of people still play this type of game on PC/notebooks so there is quite a niche, it just needs to be marketed more aggressively.

Go to: