A thread for your reviews!

Edited on 06/11/2014 at 8:24:29 AM PST

JoyWales
Clownfish
Clownfish
728 Posts

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Whispered Legends: Tales of Middleport here

[Post New]by JoyWales on Jun 11, 14 2:09 AM
Definitely a buy for me with today's sale. I always like games with the custom option - get rid of tutorial, glints, sparkles in HO scenes and adjustable hint and skip times.
Have only played for a few minutes but already noticed there are 2 sets of collectables. Also a jump map.
Do not know if we can mention the devs ( if not I am sure a mod will remove this bit) but Gogii have produced several of my favourite game series. So I have no hesitation about buying it after 5 minutes demo time.

[Post New]by JustTheFacts on Jun 11, 14 2:31 AM
Nice Stand-alone SE***

BASED ON DEMO

FIRST IMPRESSIONS
The game is low key and classy from the start, with minimalist but extremely nice graphics and a simply told start to the story. The music is wonderful. Just interesting enough, with a lot of style and a soothing melody. Not at all the spectacular high jinks of the “mega” HOPA games. And nice because of that.

I would have wished for greater and better animations, they brought the tone down a little. But the voiceovers (nice to see in a lesser production) are fabulous, and very amusing if you take them to be stereotypes of the characters portrayed.

The HOPs are clear, if a little ordinary. With images of the objects pasted in. I dislike that, but it is a low budget game after all.

WHAT’S HAPPENING?
You are an Inspector (from the Society of Sceptics), sent to Middleport to investigate a series of disappearances and tales of supernatural shenanigans and creatures. You are met by the Mayor, who welcomes you but seems a little distracted. Then you are on your own, trying to get your bearings. One of the first people you meet is a famous magician, upset that there is no audience for his grand performance tonight, and gypsy psychic type who offers to help you with spiritual guidance.

GAMEPLAY
It is for the most part standard HOPA gameplay. Not all that many HOPs I thought. Plus familiar puzzles. Nothing exciting or new here, but comfortably within the right territory. HOPs are world lists with some interactivity. From the first, the word lists include multiple numbers of some items. As far as I saw, there is no returning to these scenes. Adventure gameplay makes logical sense without being linear. And the gypsy’s insights are fun. The game also sections off some parts from the others in order to force you to work in the areas required for progress. It was nicely done.

The journal is more than usually useful. The map (interactive and it jumps. It also gives cleared locations.) is inside it, which is a pity. So are the notes of the story. There is specific additional and helpful information about some of the items you pick up, so it is worth keeping up with it. There is also a guide to the 11 collectible animals you can find around. These unfortunately look like cardboard cut outs, added after completion and are very obvious. Less obvious but still fairly easy to find are the 18 collectible statues. And finally, there are also 44 Missing posters to collect.

There are 3 levels of difficulty plus a custom option. Hint is fast for the easy levels, skip not so much.

COMBINED IMPACT
I’m not going to dance a jig over this game. It is nice, though, and a quiet afternoon spent with it would, I believe, be a pleasure.

I recommend this game!

Tufty57
Minnow
Minnow
229 Posts

[Post New]by Tufty57 on Jun 11, 14 4:12 AM
Nice game, nothing really new but plenty to entertain

There is nothing to really dislike about this game. It is fun to play, has all the tools you need (jump map, directional hint) for game play support and many collectibles that are enjoyable to look out for:
* Statues
* Animals
* Missing person posters
All are kept safely in your journal.

The graphics are a bit grainy at times, but in the zoom-ins they are good enough.

The music is background and soothing most of the time. The 'gongs' when something was found/completed became a bit annoying.

HOSs are all lists with 2 interactive items. Very simple in the main, but some items a bit tricky to find.

Puzzles so far are pretty straightforward.

But hey, today's sale means it only costs me £2:69 so is now added to my collection to play when we have a bit of a dearth or I have no connection to download.

Give it a try, especially if you want a nice intro to HOGs.

Gojira2006
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,183 Posts

[Post New]by Gojira2006 on Jun 11, 14 5:04 AM
The game was OK as long as I was able to play it . . . Nice artwork, OK animation, passable voice acting, somewhat interesting collectables . . . I can't really comment on the plot, because I haven't finished the game . . . I can't finish the game, because like many here, it froze in the middle of game play . . . Given that, the game deserves three thumbs down . . .

bezzer
Seahorse
Seahorse
32 Posts

[Post New]by bezzer on Jun 11, 14 5:46 AM
I have finished the game, I didn't have any problems with it except it is a VERY SHORT GAME.

bfgWendwater
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,911 Posts

[Post New]by bfgWendwater on Jun 11, 14 8:21 AM
Hello Everyone,

Welcome to the reviews thread! Please feel free to post your thoughts and feedback on Whispered Legends: Tales of Middleport here. We appreciate the time you take to put your reviews together, and I know other gamers and the developers do as well. We just have a few guidelines to keep in mind when posting. Our goal with these is to keep the thread tidy, easy to navigate and helpful.

Review Guidelines

1) Be sure to keep your reviews on-topic. Reviews in this thread should only be commenting on Whispered Legends: Tales of Middleport.
2) Be respectful of the reviewers. Please keep in mind our Forum Rules and be respectful of our reviewers. They take the time to post here to be helpful. Please do not review the reviews of others.
3) Do not respond to someone else’s reviews with questions or comments If you have any feedback about a review, or you feel that a review contains incorrect details about the game, please contact the poster directly via PM.
4) Do not review developers. While we do appreciate your feedback, we’d ask that you keep your posts in this thread dedicated to the specific game at hand.

*Moderators will be removing any content in this thread that is not a review.

If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to PM one of our Moderators.

bfgWendwater

mhatfie
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,447 Posts

[Post New]by mhatfie on Jun 11, 14 8:23 AM
I do like this game even though it's pretty "rustic" looking. The graphics are on the grainy side.

The hos are a little bit interactive and you don't run into one every time you turn around but almost.

So far there is a Russian accent, English accent, Irish, Italian and American. LOL.

I am not having any tech issues so far and the game seems to be running smoothly, but am hesitating to buy because of the tech issues. I probably will go for it anyway as I have pcc's to get rid of.

I thought Gogii made better games than this. I long for the days when we had "great" games that came out in between CE days. Guess those days are long gone.

ETA: The more I play the more I like it and no tech issues this far so its definitely a buy for me. Sorry about the ones having tech problems.

Edited on 06/11/2014 at 1:29:55 PM PST

dancemom1
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,198 Posts

[Post New]by dancemom1 on Jun 11, 14 9:14 AM
Hi all. Ooooh, pirate treasure, yum. The graphics in this game were a bit fuzzy, but they are suppose to be in London, so maybe it's the fog. It did clear up later and was fairly nice. Game play was good. I had 46 minutes left of the 90 minute demo time and had not had any problems at all. Music was very soothing and very familiar, as was the "gong" sound you hear when you complete a task. Can't figure out which game it comes from. There is a jump map and no, the areas are not identified by name, but the pictures are clear and they do indicate if there is something to do there. Voice overs were nice, but they seemed to disappear when you click through the dialog, especially on the last sentence. Weird, another glitch.

HOPs are the standard, except that when you pick up an item, it disappears from sight so you don't know if you have it or not. Very annoying, frustrating and maddening to say the least. This is a glitch that really needs to be fixed. However, the items were not difficult to find and did not cause eye strain. Puzzles were quite simple and nothing new.

There are a number of collectibles in this SE, which I find very appealing...18 statues, 44 posters and 11 animals. None of which are difficult to see, but you do have to look for the animals, as some are behind something or looking around a corner. I hadn't collected many of the these items before my demo ran out, so it looks to be longer than a 2 hour game...I hope I'm right.

All in all, I did like this no brainer game and would like to purchase it for my collection. I think I will wait to see if they fix the problems first. Devs need to stop popping these out like peanuts and start paying attention to quality, before they put a game on the market. A few bad games from a dev and people no longer buy them.

As always, try it for yourself and see what you think. We all have different tastes in games and you may not care for this one at all. Thanks for the reviews.

[Post New]by daisyduck352 on Jun 11, 14 11:38 AM
Great game and couldn't go wrong with the Special prices today. Liked the graphics and game was clear, the way I like it.. Haven't played much of it as liked it so much decided to buy and enjoy.. Give this 4 out of 5 stars..

JoyWales
Clownfish
Clownfish
728 Posts

[Post New]by JoyWales on Jun 11, 14 11:39 AM
Have been playing more of the game. Have not had issues with freezing so far, but have to say I am disappointed, it is not a patch on the other series that Gogii have put out.
Having googled the title, i see it has been released in most formats at the same time, pc, mac, iphone, ipad & android. Definitely budget according to prices £1.99 for ipad. Just glad I had not paid full price for it.
Next time I will check more carefully even with devs I have rated highly in the past.

tesamoine
Herring
Herring
387 Posts

[Post New]by tesamoine on Jun 11, 14 11:55 AM
This is a nice stand alone SE. No frills really come with the game. There are 3 different types of collectibles to look for, but they are very apparent. The HOS are list with some interaction. I found them to be big junk piles though. The puzzles were cute and were easy for me. You do get a map and journal. Also, there is an "area cleared" notice when you are done with an area, which is a nice touch. I did not run into any tech difficulties, but when I see 2 pages of technical difficulties, it makes me a bit hesitant to purchase. I will hold off on this one.

lemarmot
Guppy
Guppy
108 Posts

[Post New]by lemarmot on Jun 11, 14 12:23 PM
I bought this one because of the sale price

Been playing about an hour now, and no problems so far

Maryish
Seahorse
Seahorse
26 Posts

[Post New]by Maryish on Jun 11, 14 2:05 PM
Good story line
Graphics not so good
Scene somewhat dark
Map is ok and can jump from scene to scene
No voice overs (miss that)
I would have to settle for 3-1/2 stars

During trial game froze which I posted in tech issues

Buyer beware game is to one's own personal liking

sunnyglow
Clownfish
Clownfish
804 Posts

[Post New]by sunnyglow on Jun 11, 14 2:09 PM
Upon opening the "Gogii Mason" jar portrayed in this game, we encounter this sweet "peach" of a game from a dev we have not seen in awhile. (I probably should explain - if you can and preserve your own fruit, you will recognize the Mason jar; if not - you probably purchase canned fruit and think it is a coded message from the Secret Brotherhood of the Masonic Lodge) This game is so yummy that I am surprised it is not a CE. Way to go - Go Go Guys!

Smoke monsters have invaded the sleepy English town of Middleport. People are disappearing and you are concerned your fiancée is one of the missing. Are these black smoke filled monsters actually kidnapping the citizens or is something else afoot? Behind all of disappearances is the legend of a cache of pirate's treasure supposedly buried in this town. The pirates put a hex on their gold with a deadly provision that if anyone tried to tamper with their treasure the hex would unleash deadly smoke monsters. Who is kidnapping the citizens of the town and how is this all related to the pirate's treasure?

This game is a real "plum." This graphics are "peachy" keen. " However, the characters, although very realistic and well-done, do not have mouth movement. The "muzac" is well suited to the game. You have three levels of play plus the ability to customize your game. The HOP scenes are interactive. The puzzles are of medium difficulty and there seems to be a nice mix between the HOP scenes and the puzzles. The storyline is intriguing and kept my interest. You have the collectibles of statues and animals. However, I believe the game is probably very short (maybe it was mean to be a CE and was released early?) No matter, I will use a coupon (oh yes, I get to use a coupon - Hurrah!) to purchase this game.

Unfortunately there is a "lemon" which has soured many on this game - that being some technical issues. Since I have my own pet Nerd which I borrow from "The Company" I work for ("kinda" like a cat wearing real cool black-framed glasses) I don't have technical issues EVER! In addition, I have the coolest gaming computer EVER! I rate this game 6 STARS OUT OF 5 STARS for an excellent SE - probably one of the best we have had in many moons! Thanks BF for a great SE! You are the "apple" (fruit not company) of my eye!

Edited on 06/11/2014 at 2:13:09 PM PST

roaming
Clownfish
Clownfish
644 Posts

[Post New]by roaming on Jun 11, 14 2:58 PM
BASED ON FINISHING THE DEMO (45 minutes out of 90)

Everything here is standard and same-old-same-old.

There is a map, which is transportable, and hints are directional arrows instead of the dreaded "nothing to do here," so kudos to the devs for that, at least.

Not sure why Maryish's review said there are no voice-overs. There are, but if you don't want to wait for the speakers to finish, you can read the text and continue.

Even with the customizable hint and skip times, you still have to wait a full 60 seconds for the refills.

There is a gimmick with a gypsy fortune teller -- take her the Tarot cards you find, and she'll interpret them for you. This might have been a fun addition to the game if her interpretations gave any real insight into the game, but they don't.

I don't get excited about finding collectibles. If you could get a partial refund on the price of the game for finding all of them, then I might muster more interest in the search!

And wouldn't it be nice to have HOS where you were looking for something besides canes, lanterns, anchors, hooks, cigars, fans, leaves, bows, arrows, rulers, mugs, tea kettles, brooms, pistols, crawfish, balls and dice? I've decided developers have lists of easy-to-hide items that they share with each other.

I am tempted to buy this game with the sale that's going on. It isn't a great game, and like JustTheFacts said, I'm not dancing a jig over it, but it's been a long dry spell between SEs that weren't awful. This one isn't awful.

Edited on 06/11/2014 at 3:04:52 PM PST

[Post New]by nontechiegrannie on Jun 11, 14 4:18 PM
I actually found this game engaging enough to like it! Rehashed story about evil entities trying to keep people from getting their treasure but done nicely.

Graphics are colorful but the characters could use some updating. They are one dimensional without lip sync or movement.

HOG'S are the usual messy junk pile with some interaction & the min games are nice but nothing special.

Hint Button/Skip Button each take 60 seconds which is WAY TOO LONG too recharge.

The collectibles are easy to find & if you click on the Hint button before you leave the scene and have missed any, it actually shows you where they are. Nice feature to have. I didn't use the map so can't comment.

All in all a nice but NOT great little game to while away some hours.

steve_san
Clownfish
Clownfish
586 Posts

[Post New]by steve_san on Jun 11, 14 5:56 PM

Middleport = Middling

- townspeople disappearing - check
- a masked, hooded baddie - check
- evil black smoke - check
- tarot cards - check
- pirate treasure - check

Finally, a game that has it all - with the exception of even a whiff of originality.

Nothing really wrong with the game; drawings are fine, music is fine, voices are fine, puzzles and hidden object scenes are fine. Except that you've played this game before - dozens of times.

No wonder there's always a sale, they just change the title and one or two other things and re-sell the same game over and over.

Well, here's a little Whispered secret:
even on sale, count me out

pgillenw
Minnow
Minnow
236 Posts

Oh My!!!!

[Post New]by pgillenw on Jun 12, 14 12:59 AM
This was not a game of quality that I have become to enjoy from the game developers.

Gosh I thought to myself this game would be of the quality of a HOG a few years plus ago.

I played through the entire game. There were bugs in this sophomoric production.

I realize that this game today was marked down. At best it should have been a gimme.

Radgame
Minnow
Minnow
244 Posts

[Post New]by Radgame on Jun 13, 14 6:43 AM
Based on finished game:
It had tons of potential and surely could have been a brilliant game.

Most scenes had well-done graphics (colours + light slightly reminiscent of ERS-style) et al but, the Collectibles (statues, animals and missing person posters) were clearly thrown in at random and as an after-thought as if crumbs from the CE table. Some characters too, felt as if they were inserted into the story just because.....the Gypsy's Goth makeup, fisherman/bar dude, some performer dude, a masked villain, Tarot cards......good gosh! It just didn't draw me in.

Some HOS objects were hard to spot + the puzzles were a-ok. Once in a while, actions were also counter-intuitive: I'm being picky, I know....but heating a handsaw to cut a rusty chain/lock?

Overall, it felt as if the Devs desperately tried to include all the 'correct elements' for a successful game. I wish they'd paid more attention to how the story unfolds or the now-famous technical glitches (don't use the Map to travel or the game will freeze) that prevented most of us from even playing it. Given the dearth of (and long wait for) SE games, it's not good sign from a Dev. that otherwise produces good to great games.

1/2 out of 5. The 1/2 for the villain's lines (to the Inspector): "Your arrogance sickens me." I tried to imagine Alan Rickman saying this to Bruce Willis in "Die Hard"......

Edited on 06/13/2014 at 6:46:15 AM PST

Go to: