Please post your REVIEWS for Rite of Passage: Hide and Seek Collector's Edition here

[Post New]by pondprowler on Jun 12, 14 12:33 AM
A thread for your reviews!

Edited on 06/12/2014 at 8:51:05 AM PST

mamajay
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,222 Posts

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Rite of Passage: Hide and Seek Collector's Edition here

[Post New]by mamajay on Jun 12, 14 5:41 AM
Hulloooo? Anybody there? LOL.

Well, I have now played the Demo of this third instalment of Rite of Passage from Mad Head Games, and found it very enjoyable. It is a bit of a different 'take' on an old folk tale / urban myth, in that it shows how the tragedy affects the people left behind, including the girl who inadvertently caused it (that's you and me, folks)

The music is spooky, but not 'over the top', ditto for the sound effects and the graphics are nice and bright for my short-sighted and currently tired eyes. Hint and Skip times can be altered to suit your game play

The voices are very well done, and the game play is fun. The mini games are not too hard (I nearly always play Casual - less stress that way, lol), and I only had to Skip a couple because I couldn't quite finish them without losing demo time.

The SG seems to be easy enough to follow, but in the demo only the first 2 chapters are shown (so no idea on game length, unfortunately). The main scenes have handprints to find, and there are morphing items in the HOSs. The usual suspects are available in the Extras, and what I saw of the wallpapers / screensavers looked very nice - I may even use them on my Desktop

I will definitely be buying this game

Jen

leslieboyd
Squid
Squid
61 Posts

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Rite of Passage: Hide and Seek Collector's Edition here

[Post New]by leslieboyd on Jun 12, 14 7:25 AM
As soon as I read... Mad Head Games .......I purchased straight away!!! Here goes......

bfgVaiya
Salmon
Salmon
2,557 Posts

[Post New]by bfgVaiya on Jun 12, 14 8:50 AM
Hello Everyone,

Welcome to the reviews thread! Please feel free to post your thoughts and feedback on Rite of Passage: Hide and Seek Collector's Edition here. We appreciate the time you take to put your reviews together, and I know other gamers and the developers do as well. We just have a few guidelines to keep in mind when posting. Our goal with these is to keep the thread tidy, easy to navigate and helpful.

Review Guidelines

1) Be sure to keep your reviews on-topic. Reviews in this thread should only be commenting on Rite of Passage: Hide and Seek Collector's Edition.
2) Be respectful of the reviewers. Please keep in mind our Forum Rules and be respectful of our reviewers. They take the time to post here to be helpful. Please do not review the reviews of others.
3) Do not respond to someone else’s reviews with questions or comments If you have any feedback about a review, or you feel that a review contains incorrect details about the game, please contact the poster directly via PM.
4) Do not review developers. While we do appreciate your feedback, we’d ask that you keep your posts in this thread dedicated to the specific game at hand.

*Moderators will be removing any content in this thread that is not a review.

If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to PM one of our Moderators.

bfgVaiya

mhatfie
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,447 Posts

[Post New]by mhatfie on Jun 12, 14 8:51 AM
Waiting for the "Expert" reviewers. Where are you?

What an absolutely gorgeous game. It pulled me in and didn't let go.

Beautiful clear crisp graphics.
Life like people and Yay their lips move when they talk. LOL.
The Hos are done very well and are very interactive and fun and no teenie tiny items nor junk piles....... yet anyway.
The music in the background I found very soothing, some may find it boring.
So far I think the puzzles are somewhat simple but fun.
I like being able to alter the Karma level by selecting the conversation when interacting with the characters.
Also like the extra skills like ice breaker and translator.

I am very glad I bought this game and will enjoy it thorougly. Hope others do too.

shorenuf
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,281 Posts

[Post New]by shorenuf on Jun 12, 14 10:25 AM
Let's see -- take the fresh, new, innovative ideas from Cadenza and build this game around them. But, take out the challenge and add a cutesy pet to name. For Heaven's sake, Why? Was the memory portion of the "find matching pairs" HO scenes too taxing? Were puzzles with more than 5 steps too challenging? Were the collectibles too well concealed? Was having more than 6 inventory items, and needing to remember where to use them for more than 2 minutes, too complicated? Was a story line that felt mysterious but plausible, with characters you believed could be people you might meet, too real? Was a main character without supernatural powers, a character with angst for the people in trouble, too close to reality?

No, there's nothing wrong with dark fantasy, but yet again, the "game" has been taken out of the game. Without that, it is hard to feel immersed in the activity.

Yes, the expected CE things about Mad Head games are here -- stunning artwork, transportable map(s), morphing objects and collectibles, (some all too familiar) achievements, bonus chapter and associated bonus play time. But, I'm sorry, this effort from a developer I admire, was a disappointment.

saadia60
Guppy
Guppy
100 Posts

[Post New]by saadia60 on Jun 12, 14 11:24 AM
shorenuf wrote:Let's see -- take the fresh, new, innovative ideas from Cadenza and build this game around them. But, take out the challenge and add a cutesy pet to name. For Heaven's sake, Why? Was the memory portion of the "find matching pairs" HO scenes too taxing? Were puzzles with more than 5 steps too challenging? Were the collectibles too well concealed? Was having more than 6 inventory items, and needing to remember where to use them for more than 2 minutes, too complicated? Was a story line that felt mysterious but plausible, with characters you believed could be people you might meet, too real? Was a main character without supernatural powers, a character with angst for the people in trouble, too close to reality?

No, there's nothing wrong with dark fantasy, but yet again, the "game" has been taken out of the game. Without that, it is hard to feel immersed in the activity.

Yes, the expected CE things about Mad Head games are here -- stunning artwork, transportable map(s), morphing objects and collectibles, (some all too familiar) achievements, bonus chapter and associated bonus play time. But, I'm sorry, this effort from a developer I admire, was a disappointment.

are you saying it is too easy! if it is then no buy for me as that last few CEs were majorly easy and predictable.

Edited on 06/12/2014 at 11:25:31 AM PST

abarrett
Clownfish
Clownfish
990 Posts

[Post New]by abarrett on Jun 12, 14 12:15 PM
mhatfie wrote:Waiting for the "Expert" reviewers. Where are you?

The Hos are done very well and are very interactive and fun and no teenie tiny items nor junk piles....... yet anyway.
I like being able to alter the Karma level by selecting the conversation when interacting with the characters.

I am very glad I bought this game and will enjoy it thorougly. Hope others do too.

I agree with mhatfie. I beta tested this game a few weeks ago and enjoyed the game very much. Glad to see it finally released.

[Post New]by sayer5 on Jun 12, 14 1:17 PM
What is the code for the box in the room....

Tufty57
Minnow
Minnow
229 Posts

[Post New]by Tufty57 on Jun 12, 14 1:25 PM
By no means saying I am an expert reviewer, but I played 20 mins of the demo this morning and then had to go out for the day.

Have returned and seen all the reviews so far and can't wait for tomorrow to pick it up again.

Sounds like just my sort of game and no 'issues' so far.

[Post New]by nontechiegrannie on Jun 12, 14 1:38 PM
Based on Demo: What a nice game, for a change!

Storyline - Nothing new but nicely done. Game moves at a nice pace & I did not find myself getting bored. (Another take on an evil spirit kidnapping children, including your brother, & you take off to find him. Of course, beside the evil spirit you have to battle the FOG).

Graphics - I was "gobsmacked" with how truly gorgeous, clean/crisp they are!!

Characters - are realistically drawn with great movement & lip sync.

VO - well done with voices that match the characters.

Music - was a soothing, tinkling piano kind of vibe.

HOG - Were interactive & a step above the same old, same old we usually get.

Mini-games - Were nice with some new twists. I had a few uneasy moments until I figured out that the skip button is on the upper left of the puzzle. It has a arrow & does not say skip which threw me off at first.

Collectibles - Handprints which are easy to see,

Special Powers - You have a scar on the palm of your hand which glows when the fog appears. You can then touch ice & have it melt.

Hint/Skip Buttons - Can be customized down to 15 sec, which I LOVE.

Animals/Pets - There is a growling dog in front of a gate but you give it a treat & you are able to get past it. Later you rescue a wolf cub & just as I was going to name it my time was up. (Something to think about for later when I buy the game).
I know some people don't like the cutesy pet/name it thing but I'm a softy for anything canine/feline.

Susanna2
Starfish
Starfish
50 Posts

[Post New]by Susanna2 on Jun 12, 14 2:41 PM
abarrett wrote:
mhatfie wrote:Waiting for the "Expert" reviewers. Where are you?

I agree with mhatfie. I beta tested this game a few weeks ago and enjoyed the game very much. Glad to see it finally released.

I absolutely agree.
What a lovely game.
The best game for me in a long time. The story just takes me in. Ok, there is a mist, children disappear, you have a pet you can name .... LOL - same old same old one might say. Still - it's different.
I cannot stop playing.
I just love it.

sunnyglow
Clownfish
Clownfish
804 Posts

[Post New]by sunnyglow on Jun 12, 14 5:39 PM
In the "immortal" words of Kurt Cobain concerning Karma: "If you're really a mean person you're going to come back as a fly and have to eat.. (use your imagination)." And with that not quite so famous quote, we enter the game created by the Mad Hatters, taking us into that crazy and unpredictable world of karma and its own "green policy" of recycling (mainly your soul).

For years you had been told that your father and brother are deceased. Upon settling your mother's estate you find recent correspondence from your father indicating that he is actually not dead and is searching for your missing brother. As a child you lived in the town of Greystone but somehow, you have lost memories of that place and events which triggered all the tragic events which occurred for your family and that village. Entwined in all of this you discover that somehow your actions have caused this tragedy (Boy! Her karmic debt really is going to see her in the insect kingdom!). While playing hide and seek as a child, you were given a chant to recite which released a fog upon the town and kidnapped all the children from the village with the exception of yourself. You are left with a strange symbol on your hand which allows you to have special powers. Upon entering the village you not only find your father, but you also encounter a mysterious stranger, Victor Quade, a meteorologist who seems to hold the key to solving the mystery of the fog and the disappearance of the children.

I love this game and will purchase so that I may not incur any more "bad karma" with BF! Okay - can I now beta test games, huh? Great job Mad Hatters! There are three levels of play plus the ability to customize your game. The graphics on my sweet computer are at times grainy. However, the characters are very realistic in appearance. You interact with the characters and of course, your responses dictate not only the ending - but also, your KARMA! You must choose the "correct" response to direct yourself to a Nirvana-esque ending! The HOP scenes are interactive well-done and the inventory is interactive as well. You must play into the game in order to get the map. There are morphing items to be found which are a type of swirl. Your palm allows you special powers in conquering obstacles in your path. My only complaint is the "muzac." It is so depressing and to me (being a "sunny" person), really didn't suit the game. I rate this game 5 STARS OUT OF 5 STARS!

Edited on 06/12/2014 at 5:58:09 PM PST

jaxxgirl
Squid
Squid
68 Posts

[Post New]by jaxxgirl on Jun 12, 14 8:03 PM
Shorenuf, I have to beg to differ. You wrote "But, I'm sorry, this effort from a developer I admire, was a disappointment." For me, this game is living up to the lofty expectations that I have for this group. Do I find this game "easier" than the last Rite of Passage? Yes, in some ways, and at least as far as the puzzles are concerned. But I am a dedicated casual, oxymoronic kind of player, so that is what I enjoy: if MadHead kept making the game, and the puzzles harder and harder, it might me lose the fun I have in playing their games, and I might not appreciate the details in which they excel, which you noted: the artwork is, again, stunning. The story isn't a simple fairy tale (although I enjoy that type of game, too), but has depth and a hook that draws me in.

Different strokes for different folks, I suppose. But I for one am LOVING this game, and am once again more than pleased with the quality of work that this group puts into their games.

kgustavson
Clownfish
Clownfish
630 Posts

[Post New]by kgustavson on Jun 13, 14 10:42 AM
I am going to agree with shorenuf - this was way way too easy. Only took me 3 hours and 37 minutes to complete the main game ("custom" setting, no sparkles) and did not skip any puzzles, use a hint, or even use the jump map for pete's sakes. I think I looked at the SG twice. I find this a real let-down compared to the other 2 in the series and especially when compared to "Credenza". What happened to the games that used to take more than a couple hours to finish? Were players complaining about games being too difficult?! This has been an issue for me with all of the CE's released lately.

[Post New]by daisyduck352 on Jun 13, 14 2:30 PM
The game is a little different and takes a while to get into playing. It has lots of different aspects to all the kinds of puzzles and HOG's you do. It did take me awhile to know what I was doing and still am not sure. Will have to give this some thought before I purchase it.. Give it 3 out of 5 stars

shripch
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,952 Posts

[Post New]by shripch on Jun 13, 14 2:31 PM
jaxxgirl wrote:Shorenuf, I have to beg to differ. You wrote "But, I'm sorry, this effort from a developer I admire, was a disappointment." For me, this game is living up to the lofty expectations that I have for this group. Do I find this game "easier" than the last Rite of Passage? Yes, in some ways, and at least as far as the puzzles are concerned. But I am a dedicated casual, oxymoronic kind of player, so that is what I enjoy: if MadHead kept making the game, and the puzzles harder and harder, it might me lose the fun I have in playing their games, and I might not appreciate the details in which they excel, which you noted: the artwork is, again, stunning. The story isn't a simple fairy tale (although I enjoy that type of game, too), but has depth and a hook that draws me in.

Different strokes for different folks, I suppose. But I for one am LOVING this game, and am once again more than pleased with the quality of work that this group puts into their games.

I love the Rite of Passage series and this game has what I expected. Stunning graphics, an interesting story, puzzles that are fun, not too many HOS, well, just everything. As to the length, since I multitask (novels, other games, etc) while I play a game, I rarely start a game and complete it all in one go. So I just don't pay attention to that. Unless of course it's horrible and I can't wait to be done with it, and this game doesn't fit into that group! Like jaxxgirl, I'm loving this game!

pgillenw
Minnow
Minnow
236 Posts

Excellant and Cleverly Accomplished!

[Post New]by pgillenw on Jun 13, 14 8:36 PM
Loved the game. Thank you.

addictedtofish
Guppy
Guppy
139 Posts

[Post New]by addictedtofish on Jun 14, 14 1:11 AM
Loved this game - I think it exceeded my expectations.
3 types of collectibles - 1 can only be collected after completing the game and finishing the extras element - what is particularly good is that you can go back to the scene if you missed one of the handprints instead of having to replay the game. It also gives you the option of revisiting the hos and getting 3 stars for more achievements and another little game called Forest Runner - I think this is real value for money and can't recommend this game enough.

catbag8717
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,163 Posts

[Post New]by catbag8717 on Jun 15, 14 2:21 AM

After the huge success that was Child of the Forest, I was super-excited to see a third RoP coming out. While I will admit this game has made some huge progress in terms of gameplay, the story is quite weak. For that reason, I will not be purchasing this game.

I know most people are going to disagree with me on this, but I really did not like the story. This story idea (kids get lost due to some mysterious evil force) has been done... look, I've lost count of how many times now. And when something has been done that many times, the new take on the story has to be great, and unfortunately, it was not. The story opening was very, very weak the rest of the demo was not much better. The only thing that this story had going for it was the suspense of the villain, which, I'll admit, was an exciting part of the story. But that was the only exciting part and it happened right at the end of the demo. I honestly just couldn't get in to this story, no matter how hard I tried. This is a real shame for me, considering the last RoP game had such a good story. This is makinga really hard decision for me, because the gameplay is so wonderful, but... I don't know if I can bring myself to purchase and force myself to play through 3 hours of a terrible story. What the developers need to work on here is getting you sucked in to the game as soon as it starts. As I said, the opening was weak, but also very brief, so I was bored with the game straightaway. And I swear, if I hear that woman tell us one more time that her scar is glowing because of the fog, I'm going to rip her hand right out of its socket! This annoyed me to no end. Developers, we know the first time that the scar glows because of the fog, we don't need to be told over and over!

I wouldn't think twice about not purchasing this game if it weren't for the amazing gameplay. These developers have been pioneers in new and fun gameplay, and they've just lived up to that reputation. This game is packed with some awesome features. They've even jazzed up the HOS!
The HOS, as another reviewer mentioned, are very different, a lot more interactive than most. They come in many different forms: some junkpile, some finding matching pairs, and some a little bit of a twist on normal junkpile. All of them were fun and some were a little challenging! I commend the developers for their work here. There was a good amount of HOS in the demo and they were spaced out evenly.
(TBC in post 2)

Go to: