muttmom
Clownfish
Clownfish
534 Posts

Understanding how to auction

[Post New]by muttmom on Jun 12, 14 6:20 PM
Anybody know how to auction an item? How much you should auction it for and how?

april3850
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,827 Posts

Re:Understanding how to auction

[Post New]by april3850 on Jun 12, 14 7:43 PM
To me, the auctions are the most fun and the most strategic part of the game. You can auction an item by clicking on it in your collection, select Auction, and enter a starting and ending price. The lower price is your starting bid, the lowest you are willing to sell the item for, and the ending price is the buy out.
Look before you auction an item, what are others selling it for. You can search the auctions chronologically, or by name of item, or by seller. What I do, is look to see what everyone else is selling for, and then go a little bit lower, so mine is the lowest.
Most veteran players who have been playing a while know the value of items to the game. This is something that will become more obvious to you the more you play. The tricky part is that with each new update to the game, the developers add and take away items. The items added will be reduced in value and the items taken away will increase. Also, when items are taken away, the other items in that collection tend to go down in value.
Also, be aware of players in the auctions who deliberately try to drive up prices. There are some who never even play the game, all they do is hang around in the auction house and harass others. They will bid on everything really high to make you think its a rare item, so check to see before you pay a high price for something. There are lots of threads on this forum that deal with auctions and items added/taken away. Here is a quick list.

Current Rare Items Only Available in Auctions or Slots: Blue/White Plate, Korean War Svc Medal, London Bridge, Columbus Day Stamp, Victorian Teapot, Taiwanese Teapot, Otter Stamp, Porcupine Stamp, Shot of France

Other Items Still in Game but Rare: Evening Gown, Golden Hibiscus, Hardwood Driver, Brave's Companion

muttmom
Clownfish
Clownfish
534 Posts

[Post New]by muttmom on Jun 18, 14 8:48 AM
Thank You April. Its taking me a while to get a hang of this game. I can use all the help I can get.

Dirk_Tee
Clownfish
Clownfish
556 Posts

[Post New]by Dirk_Tee on Jun 18, 14 11:43 AM
april3850 wrote:Current Rare Items Only Available in Auctions or Slots: Blue/White Plate, Korean War Svc Medal, London Bridge, Columbus Day Stamp, Victorian Teapot, Taiwanese Teapot, Otter Stamp, Porcupine Stamp, Shot of France

I think Columbus Day Stamp is back: I got one playing Dolores' Barn, New Mexico today.

ChestnutHeights
Salmon
Salmon
2,542 Posts

[Post New]by ChestnutHeights on Jun 18, 14 12:33 PM
Back to the original question.. can someone tell us how to put items in the auction. Don't mind helping others, but never did the auction before.

cjmorgan11
Minnow
Minnow
233 Posts

[Post New]by cjmorgan11 on Jun 18, 14 7:15 PM
ChestnutHeights wrote:Back to the original question.. can someone tell us how to put items in the auction. Don't mind helping others, but never did the auction before.

April, spelled it all out right above. These are the bare basics from her post (below). Let us know if you need more detail than this and where. It really isn't hard to auction. Just try it a couple of times with something less valuable and for a lower price and see what happens.

"You can auction an item by clicking on it in your collection, select Auction, and enter a starting and ending price. The lower price is your starting bid, the lowest you are willing to sell the item for, and the ending price is the buy out.
Look before you auction an item, what are others selling it for. You can search the auctions chronologically, or by name of item, or by seller. What I do, is look to see what everyone else is selling for, and then go a little bit lower, so mine is the lowest. "

Go to: