catbag8717
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,163 Posts

CE or SE?

[Post New]by catbag8717 on Jun 13, 14 1:25 AM
The routine post again! Which one did you pick and why?
I'm going for the SE. I found that the bonus content wasn't enough for me to purchase the CE.

catbag8717
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,163 Posts

Re:CE or SE?

[Post New]by catbag8717 on Jun 13, 14 2:11 AM
Actually, I read the reviews, and hardly any tell you whether the CE or SE is better, so I do this thread.

jennsmom
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,207 Posts

[Post New]by jennsmom on Jun 13, 14 4:20 AM
I'm going for the SE with a coupon. I liked the previous Grim Tales games, and didn't think much of the name changes (for people and places) and changing the family in this one. But, the game play was OK, hence my decision.

tesamoine
Herring
Herring
387 Posts

[Post New]by tesamoine on Jun 13, 14 7:06 AM
Actually I like this thread. TY Catbag. I, too, am often undecided between the CE and SE. Often it takes quite a few people playing the CE in its entirety before this CE or SE can be identified. I personally didn't think the CE was all that If I do purchase the game, it will be the SE.

bwake47
Starfish
Starfish
40 Posts

[Post New]by bwake47 on Jun 13, 14 7:19 AM
I too enjoy seeing this thread. It's a question I look for with every CE that comes out. My funds and time to play are limited, so knowing if the CE is necessary to complete the story is something I want to know. Yes, often a reviewer will put it in their review, but most of them don't. You do have to wait for reviewers to complete the game to tell you this. Plus, you usually have to read through a lot of reviews in hopes of finding out.

So, thank you Catbag for posting this question. Keep it up.

siscokid
Guppy
Guppy
119 Posts

[Post New]by siscokid on Jun 13, 14 8:12 AM
Yes, Catbag, thank you for starting a thread pertaining to this issue. Not everyone wants to root around to find the answers in the CE version on this particular topic. Ignore the negativity, post whatever the heck you want, it's a free country and to be chastised by another is in MHO, redundant and just plain catty. No pun intended. I for one, appreciate it, as I'm sure there are others as well. So, Thank you!

shagwendy
Stingray
Stingray
4,926 Posts

[Post New]by shagwendy on Jun 13, 14 8:22 AM
cbtx wrote:Doesn't this question get thoroughly answered in the CE forum of the game? Seems to me if you opt for not getting the CE, then of course you're waiting for the SE. And all those answers are covered in the CE forum for the game.
The thread is not so much routine as it is redundant.

I think it's the best thread here. No, the question doesn't get answered thoroughly in the CE forum. There's a lot of reviews of the demo, and hardly any mentions of the bonus chapter from people who have finished the game. There are plenty of people like me, who can only occasionally get a CE, and only then at sale price, and it's darn hard to figure out which ones give us the most bonus bang for our buck. Keep putting out this thread, Catbag

jellypuppy
Starfish
Starfish
48 Posts

[Post New]by jellypuppy on Jun 13, 14 9:11 AM
I own the CE version of this game and have completed the whole thing. Knowing completely what is in the CE version I would recommend the SE version to others.

Unlike some series that leave you with a cliff-hanger ending at the SE version end to be finished in the bonus chapter, the SE version has the ending to this story. The bonus chapter invents a cursed amulet to explain the family's bad luck for you to deal with. I don't think you would feel like this was an important chapter in the Grim Tales saga that you have to experience. I think the ending of the SE game will be fine for most people.

The collectables also were not that great. They play a short story when a whole "collection" is completed. These stories are about members of the family and are greatly hinted at or told outright in the game through diaries, etc.

In summary, because the CE did not really give all that much additional or "must-see" content, I would recommend the SE to other players.

robbinrn
Seahorse
Seahorse
25 Posts

[Post New]by robbinrn on Jun 13, 14 10:33 AM
Thank you catbag! This should be a regular thread on every SE release.

Edited on 06/13/2014 at 10:35:14 AM PST

Robsim
Guppy
Guppy
165 Posts

[Post New]by Robsim on Jun 13, 14 11:29 AM
Well good day, all!!

Wow. . .entered in to see what others recommended ("CE or SE?") and, well o.k., instead I find this "cheery" dialog (goodness)!!

But, to add/throw in my two bits. . .I both like and look forward to seeing this forum topic when SE versions are released. For me (as well as with others, I'm sure), after playing any CE demo, I can immediately determine whether I'm going to get the one or the other. When I played the CE demo of this game, I knew I wanted it, but was going to wait until the SE version was released. I love my collectibles and achievements in my games; however, not every game needs them because the story, the graphics, and the amount of tasks involved can make searching for collectibles either overwhelming or puts it in overkill -- especially when there are numerous sets of collectibles. This game is an excellent example of "collectibles unnecessary". But, then, you also have some games - such as a few of the "soft release" games - that can use a little help (collectibles/achievements) to give them a boost or some 'POP'.

The extra game play on most of the CE's I purchase, I either don't finish them or I don't play them at all. Heck, by the time I finish the main game, I'm pretty much fulfilled and am ready to move on to a new game. . .that is, unless the main game has a 'cliffhanger'-style finish then my "inquiring mind" WANTS to play/finish it.

Last, I've come to find that most of the players that recommend the SE versions are for the exact reasons that I've pretty much determined from playing the CE demo, but they simply confirm my thoughts/findings of why. Therefore, catbag has my vote to continue this forum topic/heading!!

catbag8717
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,163 Posts

[Post New]by catbag8717 on Jun 13, 14 11:13 PM
Was not expecting this many replies...

Thanks for those who support me. Also thanks to cbtx for sharing his/her opinion. I'm a firm believer in free speech and, as cbtx said, everyone has the right to post what they want (unless it's slander/abuse of course).

Thanks guys, I will keep these posts coming! I'll let you know what I think of the SE!

catbag8717
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,163 Posts

[Post New]by catbag8717 on Jun 13, 14 11:16 PM
cbtx wrote:
catbag8717 wrote:Actually, I read the reviews, and hardly any tell you whether the CE or SE is better, so I do this thread.

Well, of course, no review could tell you which is better since, at the time, the SE is not out yet.

But shagwendy makes an excellent point about the bonus chapter, and the lack of comments about that aspect of a CE.
And she is absolutely correct about wanting the most bang for the buck.

Of course, IMO, there is no CE made worth full asking price, so I wait for half price or buy one/get one sales anyway. They are frequent enough. So since I never consider the SE when I can wait a bit for the CE on sale (and I never need to have a game the instant it's released), maybe that's why I think the thread a bit superfluous. The choice is obvious.

When I review CE's, I look at Bonus Content and decide then and there if the CE or SE is worth it. I always recommend either the CE or SE in any CE reviews.

joyce2121
Manatee
Manatee
4,490 Posts

[Post New]by joyce2121 on Jun 20, 14 4:52 PM
I'm one of those "old farts" suffering from FLIS* and my CE
purchases are few and far between and always, always, sale only.

I really appreciate easily finding a post as informative as that of
jellypuppy to help make my selection.

Thanks, jellypuppy

*FLIS .....Fixed Limited Income Syndrome. (Hey, there's worse
diseases I could have at my age.)

llstjohn
Flounder
Flounder
2,487 Posts

[Post New]by llstjohn on Jul 8, 14 11:14 AM
Hey, Joyce! I also suffer from FLIS so I bought the SE. Does anyone know how to do the puzzle in the vault where you rotate the mini portraits? Does not make sense to me, clue in the diary no help. I don't want to download the strategy gudie just for a 5 minute trial and can't find one anywhere else.
Glad to see the waters still get a little rough in the pond.

My bad. There is a w/t for this game in the w/t forum.

Edited on 07/08/2014 at 3:29:40 PM PST

Go to: