Please post your REVIEWS for Mysteries of Neverville: The Runestone of Light here

[Post New]by pondprowler on Jun 15, 14 12:38 AM
A thread for your reviews!

Edited on 06/15/2014 at 9:00:41 AM PST

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Mysteries of Neverville: The Runestone of Light here

[Post New]by JustTheFacts on Jun 15, 14 1:25 AM
Excellent PCC Purchase – Standalone SE! *****

BASED ON DEMO

IN BRIEF
A great look to this excellent standalone Standard Edition game. The graphics are clear and clean, with art that is quite lovely to look at without getting too whimsical. I could have asked for a character who looked less like an adolescent’s dream date, though, and that sort of thing normally just washes straight over me. The intro is well done. I loved the wolf spirit. And the rocking of the train.

The voices are all good. Well acted, if a little drawn out occasionally. The music is forgettable (which means, can’t remember anything at all!), and the sounds likewise failed to make any specific impression, other than that the gloomy atmosphere ‘felt’ right to all senses. This is a fairly dark game, but I don’t think it is too hard to see, and I wouldn’t exactly call it creepy. But it is certainly not a comfortable place to be for a “Guardian of Neverville.”

That’s us, by the way. Valerie, daughter of Cygnus Rastlin, protector and guardian of the town, currently MIA after following an evil necromancer into an equally evil fog. We must find Dad, the stolen Runestone of Light that is the town’s protection, defeat the necromancer, and the thief who took the Runestone, deal with the betrayal of someone close, and all before dinner! Okay, I added the dinner bit. But you can see you have a lot on your plate!

The gameplay is nice. There are many more puzzles than HOPs, they are everywhere. Mostly they are slightly different tangents on known games, but I had a lot of trouble finishing more than one. The HOPs are standard word lists, no interaction, but, here’s one for the puzzlers – you can skip it in the same way as any other puzzle. You still have hint, if you want. The HOP scenes are visited twice.

There is a hint that is a real hint – and if it will take you away from your current location, it will teleport you. This replaces the totally absent journal and map. There are 3 levels of difficulty.

There is no inventory lock, and I missed having one.

COMBINED IMPACT
Great game. Perfect for a punchcard credit, or I’d even pay real $$ for this one. Nicely put together and fun.

I recommend this game!

luvtoread
Manatee
Manatee
4,081 Posts

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Mysteries of Neverville: The Runestone of Light here

[Post New]by luvtoread on Jun 15, 14 2:11 AM
Thanks, JTF! I'll go give it a try.

Tufty57
Minnow
Minnow
229 Posts

[Post New]by Tufty57 on Jun 15, 14 3:23 AM
Beware Cowboy Builders when creating a stone tomb for your local evil necromancer!

Yep, you've guessed it, he's escaped again and is going about his nefarious deeds with the help of wolf spirits and a traitorous local. But, do not fear, a guardian has arrived in her bodycon armour and will no doubt save the day!

Despite the fact that the story is nothing really new, it is a fun game with a good level of challenge.

HOSs were all simple lists and are revisited at least once. Some items are very small, but they are all pretty doable, you can just skip after a while if you get fed up or use a hint.

I liked the puzzles, variations on familiar formats, but not as straightforward as you may at first think.

Three modes of play can ramp up the challenge further (Normal/Hard/Detective) In the descriptions of each level it mentions "achievement items" and I got a bit excited, but I haven't come across anything out of the ordinary and it may only mean 'pick-ups'.

No map or journal so be prepared to track back if you have been given a clue and maybe have a notebook to hand. The hint does allow you to jump to the required location so, if you know where you want to go, you can use it as a jump map. No penalties, but it does take a little while to recharge.

My only complaint was the interaction with other characters. The voices were good, the graphics realistic but I like to read the narrative and, if they speak slowly, click to continue. Now it may just be my poor old eyes but the writing looked very blurry to me and gave me a headache! :-((

That aside, it is a perfectly nice game; ideal for a sale day or a game coupon. I will be buying tomorrow and getting my punch!

HoneyVegas
Seahorse
Seahorse
36 Posts

[Post New]by HoneyVegas on Jun 15, 14 5:39 AM
Terribly short!

atmmts
Starfish
Starfish
46 Posts

[Post New]by atmmts on Jun 15, 14 7:03 AM
HoneyVegas wrote:Terribly short!

Agree completely. Purchased game - thank goodness used (wasted) a free game coupon. The game ended less than 10 mins after the demo ran out.

Very disappointed.

Do I recommend this game? Nope!

Edited on 06/15/2014 at 7:04:12 AM PST

Tufty57
Minnow
Minnow
229 Posts

[Post New]by Tufty57 on Jun 15, 14 8:00 AM
atmmts wrote:
HoneyVegas wrote:Terribly short!

Agree completely. Purchased game - thank goodness used (wasted) a free game coupon. The game ended less than 10 mins after the demo ran out.

Very disappointed.

Do I recommend this game? Nope!

Oh, no! Really? That is shameful! Might reconsider my intended purchase now. So sorry for you, but thanks for the 'heads up'.

T57

Tauret
Marlin
Marlin
8,157 Posts

[Post New]by Tauret on Jun 15, 14 8:47 AM
I really enjoyed the trial, liked the story and found the Hint helpful until I reached the Blacksmith shop. Can't advance because I can't figure out what to do next, Hint keeps giving me same unhelpful hint and there is no walkthrough.

So, sadly I will have to pass on this one.

Edited on 06/15/2014 at 8:47:51 AM PST

bfgVaiya
Salmon
Salmon
2,557 Posts

[Post New]by bfgVaiya on Jun 15, 14 9:00 AM
Hello Everyone,

Welcome to the reviews thread! Please feel free to post your thoughts and feedback on Mysteries of Neverville: The Runestone of Light here. We appreciate the time you take to put your reviews together, and I know other gamers and the developers do as well. We just have a few guidelines to keep in mind when posting. Our goal with these is to keep the thread tidy, easy to navigate and helpful.

Review Guidelines

1) Be sure to keep your reviews on-topic. Reviews in this thread should only be commenting on Mysteries of Neverville: The Runestone of Light.
2) Be respectful of the reviewers. Please keep in mind our Forum Rules and be respectful of our reviewers. They take the time to post here to be helpful. Please do not review the reviews of others.
3) Do not respond to someone else’s reviews with questions or comments If you have any feedback about a review, or you feel that a review contains incorrect details about the game, please contact the poster directly via PM.
4) Do not review developers. While we do appreciate your feedback, we’d ask that you keep your posts in this thread dedicated to the specific game at hand.

*Moderators will be removing any content in this thread that is not a review.

If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to PM one of our Moderators.

bfgVaiya

sunnyglow
Clownfish
Clownfish
804 Posts

[Post New]by sunnyglow on Jun 15, 14 12:16 PM
Does BF know something all of us don't? Are they giving us a message? With rash of the attacking "fog" games, I am hesitant to go to "foggy" cities such as San Francisco or London. I am afraid I may be trapped in these cities and never be able to go home (God forbid)or have air traffic release my flight. My broom does not like to have to remain in misty, strange places and my cat freaks out! I have nightmares of starving in these cities. I cannot afford to buy $11 toast; however, I believe fruitcake is in abundance. Geesh! A very scary thought, actually!

You are Valerie, the daughter of Cygnus Rastlen and a Guardian of Neverville. You city has been besieged by fog and you and your adorably cute partner must locate and restore the Runestone of Light to rid the town of this scourge. This is an adventure game which is puzzle heavy and HOP light. There are 3 levels of play. The graphics are very primitive and the characters are not well-defined as they do not have mouth movement. However, there is voice. The "muzac" is decent. I found the HOP scenes to not be interactive and primarily junk piles. The puzzles are decent but nothing we have not seen before. The storyline is engaging and the movement in the game is good.

We have a nice game from a new dev (at least I have never heard of them!). Okay, naysayers, I am going to give you with the old "half glass philosophy." Okay - don't groan. This game is half full and is definitely not complete with everything to make it a stellar game. However, (and here comes the groans) I would rather have a game "half full" of great puzzles and an interesting storyline than a full game which is at least "half empty" of excitement and just plain boring. To me, this game is probably better than the CE we had yesterday. Wow! You have to use a coupon. So what! My inbox is full of dusty old coupons which I hardly ever use.
I rate this game 5 STARS OUT OF 5 STARS FOR AN SE.

dramajunkie
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
21,641 Posts

[Post New]by dramajunkie on Jun 15, 14 2:55 PM
Well, if Justy liked it and it's short, I will skip the demo and use a pcc about to expire. already lost 2 this month.

mamajay
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,222 Posts

[Post New]by mamajay on Jun 15, 14 7:04 PM
I liked the demo of this game very much, and decided to use my dusty PCC and buy it. And I have to agree with the other posters - yes, it is definitely a short game, but at the same time, a lot of fun to play.

The graphics are very good quality - brilliant colours, (although I did have to squint rather hard in the HOs - some items were very very hard to see ) great voices, and a very well drawn protagonist (that would be you and me, lol). I was a wee bit disappointed that none of the people move or change expression, but then most of the games we play are like that, sigh.

I found the music to be unobtrusive and the hint meter, while a bit slow for impatient me, certainly delivered on helpful information.

Sadly, the ending is rather abrupt, BUT, it is a logical conclusion - we are not left hanging, wondering if there is more to come. Personally I would have liked to see a few more characters in the game, but that's just me

The Devs are Urchin Games. I don't remember ever seeing any other games by them, so if this is their first, imho, they can only get better and better (especially if they listen and act on our advice, lol)

Jen

Robilyn
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,962 Posts

[Post New]by Robilyn on Jun 15, 14 11:11 PM
It took me 3 hours to play. I think that is reasonable for a SE. Lots of HOG scenes and you can skip them if you wish. I used a PCC to buy it and I think it as worth it. With the burnt offerings we get lately we can't be to particular if we want to use up our credits. Thank you BFG. Keep those SE HOG coming.

roaming
Clownfish
Clownfish
644 Posts

[Post New]by roaming on Jun 15, 14 11:34 PM
The bouncing inventory bar drove me nuts!!! Given that the game is apparently fairly short, and that the hint and skip refills take entirely too long on the easiest mode, this won't be a buy for me.

maizijane
Starfish
Starfish
50 Posts

[Post New]by maizijane on Jun 20, 14 12:39 PM
Count me among the disappointed. I do not recommend this game.

polbetty
Seahorse
Seahorse
35 Posts

[Post New]by polbetty on Jun 21, 14 7:46 PM
I loved the game but some of the HO where hard to see so used the hint button (that is what it is for,correct?). Very disappoointed in the end, I still had items in my inventory so didn't feel I was able to complete the full game. I bought the game and am not sorry, Seemed it was a new developer and wanted to give them a look see and not disappointed (hopefully will only get better).

kitaboy
Minnow
Minnow
216 Posts

[Post New]by kitaboy on Jun 22, 14 11:47 AM
Very short. I finished the game in an hour. Glad I didn't pay full price. Kita

gamblebug
Herring
Herring
341 Posts

[Post New]by gamblebug on Jun 30, 14 1:57 PM
I really liked this game and I didn't think it was to short.But boy what an abrupt ending.Stab and over with.Would have me nice for just a tab more ordoes this mean another follow up,hope so.Well now that i'm finished will hold off till this weekend to see if there's a really good sale for members maybe BOGO.

ppasolvr
Guppy
Guppy
104 Posts

[Post New]by ppasolvr on Jul 2, 14 1:45 PM
I am hoping this game is short, as maybe I might decide to actually finish it. I think this is the worst game I've ever purchased! I only bought it after playing a little bit of the demo because I had to fill out my punch card, so at least I got a free game coupon for the wasted game coupon I used on this game! There was few SE games to choose from at the time... I'm trying not to buy so many CEs so I have more games to use my free coupons on, but that's hard to do. I must admit I bought the game mainly because of so many good reviews, but unfortunately, I don't agree with those reviewers. This is just a downright awful game and it just may be the first one I will not willingly play out until the end. If I do continue on, I will pray that it ends soon!

[Post New]by feenix2011 on Jul 2, 14 6:41 PM
There was something about this game that just didn't grab me. I didn't even finish the Demo. I thought the game rather childish (?) don't know if that is the right word but, I just couldn't get into it somehow. I know the majority of reviews are positive, and I may try again in a few weeks or so, but I just finished such a great game a few days ago, I guess this just doesn't measure up. The fault is with me, not the game!

Happy Fourth of July for those that celebrate it!!

feenix

Go to: