catbag8717
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,163 Posts

I Don't Get It...

[Post New]by catbag8717 on Jun 17, 14 12:39 AM
Is this a HO game or TM game? The thing says TM, but the screenshots show HOS. I'm a little confused...

Tiger2010
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
16,624 Posts

Re:I Don't Get It...

[Post New]by Tiger2010 on Jun 17, 14 12:51 AM
Hi Catbag,

I suspect it's one of those hybrids like Go Go Gourmet or the Gourmania games. They are hidden object but with TM cooking included. Personally, I love them and I bought this with a credit. I'll let you know if it's any good.

catbag8717
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,163 Posts

[Post New]by catbag8717 on Jun 17, 14 12:52 AM
Tiger2010 wrote:Hi Catbag,

I suspect it's one of those hybrids like Go Go Gourmet or the Gourmania games. They are hidden object but with TM cooking included. Personally, I love them and I bought this with a credit. I'll let you know if it's any good.

I thought it would be like that too... Here's hoping I'm right! Downloading trial as we speak.

efi24
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,228 Posts

[Post New]by efi24 on Jun 17, 14 2:13 AM
This is nothing like Go Go Gourmet which is an excellent game!
This is not an excellent game and it's a total hog.

I wish there was another GGG or 2 Tasty, but there really is no room for comparison.

Tiger2010
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
16,624 Posts

[Post New]by Tiger2010 on Jun 17, 14 2:50 AM
Efi24, you are completely correct. It is absolutely nothing like Gourmania or Go Go Gourmet.

And one of these days I'll learn my lesson and trial before buying. I lost a credit for no good reason and have only myself to blame.

Terrible graphics and very old school. I don't know which era they dug this turkey up from. I think I'll replay Gourmania 3: Zoo Zoom. That was a good one!

What a shame! I was so looking forward to another good cooking/HOG hybrid.

catbag8717
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,163 Posts

[Post New]by catbag8717 on Jun 17, 14 2:53 AM
I liked Go Go Gourmet series. I too like the cooking/HOG hybrids.
Are there any other games like this, apart from GGG? I'd like to try them!

govegril
Stingray
Stingray
5,727 Posts

[Post New]by govegril on Jun 17, 14 3:01 AM
catbag8717 wrote:I liked Go Go Gourmet series. I too like the cooking/HOG hybrids.
Are there any other games like this, apart from GGG? I'd like to try them!

catbag there is Too Tasty and Too Tasty 2

Tiger2010
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
16,624 Posts

[Post New]by Tiger2010 on Jun 17, 14 3:02 AM
Those are the only two series I can think of that play that way, Catbag. I've been replaying both GGG lately as I'm a bit HOPA'd out.

If you like straight time management cooking games without the HOG elements I can give you a whole list. The cooking TMs are my favourite TM genre and I have almost all that have been released.

Oh, hang on... you could try 2 Tasty or the sequel 2 Tasty Too. They play like GGG and Gourmania.

ETA: Sorry govegril. I didn't see your post as I was typing. Great minds, eh?

Edited on 06/17/2014 at 3:03:28 AM PST

unclepaul
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
467 Posts

[Post New]by unclepaul on Jun 17, 14 5:40 AM
In addition it required an active X installation as well as installing the Bing bar on my system without and choice.
Needless I deactivated the Bing bar, and also uninstalled it.
Bad move Big Fish.

Tiger2010
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
16,624 Posts

[Post New]by Tiger2010 on Jun 17, 14 6:39 AM
I didn't get the 'Bing' thing, Unclepaul, only the Direct X (r).

And I'd like to apologise to the turkey population around the world. It was incredibly insensitive of me to compare this game to you, more especially because I keep a large flock of your cousins in my backyard.

I have no words for just how bad I think this game is, but you certainly shouldn't have been brought into the equation.

So... erm, have a lovely summer until Thanksgiving and/or Christmas... oh dear

tesamoine
Herring
Herring
387 Posts

[Post New]by tesamoine on Jun 17, 14 6:43 AM
I also got the "install active X and bling tool bar" notice. I don't download games that require that so I did not even try it. However, reading the above very good reviews, I believe this is not the type of game I thought it was. I too thought it was like 2 tasty, etc. Oh well, maybe next time

[Post New]by little_sparkle on Jun 17, 14 7:06 AM
I too am glad I didn't buy it as I thought that it would be fun ala GGG etc. I couldn't ever get all the hidden objects within the top score, and once I had completed the first 'elimination round' and got all stars in each country, I couldn't do anything else!
Some of the mini games were just awful, such as clicking the burgers before they burnt and clicking the samosas before they disappeared. Not impressed!

SilverBranch
Minnow
Minnow
232 Posts

[Post New]by SilverBranch on Jun 17, 14 7:12 AM
unclepaul wrote:In addition it required an active X installation as well as installing the Bing bar on my system without and choice.
Needless I deactivated the Bing bar, and also uninstalled it.
Bad move Big Fish.

In the direct X installation box, before you click next, there was a tiny box to uncheck on the screen so you don't install the bing bar. It's small, but its there.

Mr_Russ
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
16,662 Posts

[Post New]by Mr_Russ on Jun 17, 14 7:46 AM
DirectX and active X are different. This is a request for DirectX 9, an older version that will run in parallel with the latest (DirectX 11). You do need it but can uncheck the bing toolbar that microsoft tries to bundle with it.

Worst case, you can remove the bing toolbar afterwards through Control Panel / Add/Remove programs.

ETA the age of the game and the operating system it was developed on determine the version of directx it needs. Bear in mind that XP only goes as far as DirectX 9. This is why older games running in Windows 7 need both DirectX 11 (native to W7) and DirectX 9 (native to XP).

Edited on 06/17/2014 at 7:51:30 AM PST

Tiger2010
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
16,624 Posts

[Post New]by Tiger2010 on Jun 17, 14 8:10 AM
Thank you, Mr_Russ. Much appreciated

steve_san
Clownfish
Clownfish
586 Posts

[Post New]by steve_san on Jun 17, 14 3:59 PM
I clicked "Cancel" on the DirectX installation and the game played fine for me.

catbag8717
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,163 Posts

[Post New]by catbag8717 on Jun 18, 14 1:19 AM
steve_san wrote:I clicked "Cancel" on the DirectX installation and the game played fine for me.

Funny, I did that and the game wouldn't work...

Mr_Russ
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
16,662 Posts

[Post New]by Mr_Russ on Jun 18, 14 2:51 PM
Many games (especially LFAs) on BFG need DirectX 9. It's possible that steve_san already had it from an earlier game.

Go to: