Edited on 06/20/2014 at 9:12:29 AM PST

bfgVaiya
Salmon
Salmon
2,557 Posts

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Panopticon: Path of Reflections here

[Post New]by bfgVaiya on Jun 18, 14 8:35 AM
Hello Everyone,

Welcome to the reviews thread! Please feel free to post your thoughts and feedback on Panopticon: Path of Reflections here. We appreciate the time you take to put your reviews together, and I know other gamers and the developers do as well. We just have a few guidelines to keep in mind when posting. Our goal with these is to keep the thread tidy, easy to navigate and helpful.

Review Guidelines

1) Be sure to keep your reviews on-topic. Reviews in this thread should only be commenting on Panopticon: Path of Reflections.
2) Be respectful of the reviewers. Please keep in mind our Forum Rules and be respectful of our reviewers. They take the time to post here to be helpful. Please do not review the reviews of others.
3) Do not respond to someone else’s reviews with questions or comments If you have any feedback about a review, or you feel that a review contains incorrect details about the game, please contact the poster directly via PM.
4) Do not review developers. While we do appreciate your feedback, we’d ask that you keep your posts in this thread dedicated to the specific game at hand.

*Moderators will be removing any content in this thread that is not a review.

If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to PM one of our Moderators.

bfgVaiya

abarrett
Clownfish
Clownfish
990 Posts

[Post New]by abarrett on Jun 18, 14 9:12 AM
Based on the demo:This is an interesting SE game from ****.

You play a detective who has returned to the town he grew up in to investigate the disappearance of a magician/illusionist and his assistant. The illusionist has built a time machine, which you then use to follow him.

There are only 2 modes: casual and expert. I played on the casual mode, and there were brief sparkles to indicate an area where something could be done. There doesn't appear to be a map, so you end up going back and forth quite a bit as you complete tasks. Graphics are clear and the characters appear 3D. There is a lot of dialogue and you can't skip it. Hidden object scenes were clear and not junk pile, with one or two interactive things to do. Not all the items in the scenes were of the time period, as I came across a hula hoop and yoyo.

The game is probably on the easier side, IMO, but would be good to buy with a sale or PCC.

[Post New]by JustTheFacts on Jun 18, 14 9:53 AM
Pleasant Enough, But Old Hat ***

BASED ON DEMO

IN BRIEF
This is a nice enough game to play, worth a PCC I think, but it is nothing special. It opens in widescreen but is distorted, and I found, despite the black bars, that the aspect ratio correction improved the look of very pleasant but never stunning graphics. The voiceovers are very impressive. The music is delightfully soothing, unaccompanied piano pieces.

There is nothing new in this game. The story is that of the magician and his assistant disappearing into his latest contraption, never to be seen again. The machine transports us to another world, in which we find ourselves in the middle of a carnival, with the requisite circus, gypsy story teller and dwarf. Magician’s tricks are revealed. The disappearees continue to elude us. It seems that someone involved in the case has nefarious designs on our girlfriend, the assistant. The story is a little patchy, with strange connections popping up without due process, as one (if they were me in a legal frame of mind) might say.

The gameplay is standard HOPA of the earlier style. HOPs are word lists with a small amount of limited interaction. Some are visited twice. The puzzles are nothing new. Not difficult. Skip and hint are fast on the easier of two levels of difficulties. Hint is directional, and there is no map. The journal is useful, with information you will need recorded there. The adventure action is straight forward and fairly obvious.

Nothing at all to pull you in, yet I left the demo with only 8 minutes to go, so I was being entertained enough to keep going.

In a word, pleasant. But I do so wish to see an end to carnivals, gypsies, and their dwarves!

[Post New]by daisyduck352 on Jun 18, 14 11:44 AM
This proved to be a nice game. Had puzzles, HOG's, voice overs and a little magic too. Enjoyed what I played and it's a good SE and a nice surprise.. Give it 3 out of 5 stars..

dancemom1
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,198 Posts

[Post New]by dancemom1 on Jun 18, 14 11:47 AM
Hi all. Something a little different today. Yes, a very simple SE, but nice. Graphics were nothing special, but were clear and bright colors. Game play was very good, no problems with action, movements or screen. Music was very pleasant and somewhat haunting at times...I liked it. There is no jump map and no extras to find. There was a click penalty. Inventory does lock in place (thank you!). Voice overs are few, but well done for the time period and locations. Not much in the way of sound FX, but a few that are quite appropriate for the scene and what is happening at the time.

HOPs were quite simple, but very clean and clear, no junk piles to mess with and no eye strain. There is a lot of back-tracking and you play the same HOPs more than once. Puzzles were also simple but fun. You do add pages to your journal, which gives you more information as you go along. The story is fun and a bit different. We have magic, carnivals, sultans and more, I'm sure, since we have time travel in this story. Kept me interested throughout the demo. Hint system is quite helpful and fills very quickly.

This is not a very challenging game, but relaxing and well done for an SE. I think it was the music that did it for me. It just kept me going. I think this will appeal to all levels of players, especially advanced players who want to just take it easy for a change. Don't know how long this game is, but I'm going to get it and find out. Hopefully it is longer than the sultan's palace, which is where my demo ended.

As always, try it for yourself and see what you think. We all have different tastes in games and you may not care for this one at all. Thanks for the reviews.

sunnyglow
Clownfish
Clownfish
804 Posts

[Post New]by sunnyglow on Jun 18, 14 4:09 PM
We have magic and mystery in another detective story from Alls A War. Not having much time today to comment (alas - work awaits poor "moi" and aren't you so lucky?) - I will just quickly give the facts for our Hump Day SE (which is similar to looking forward to a Wednesday leftovers dinner).

In another rehash of Nicolai Tesla (why didn't anyone give this poor guy all this acclaim when he was actually alive? Oh that's right, ala Bush - blame it on Edison) we have a period piece set in the early 1900's with a magician, Andy Fox and his lovely assistant, Angela Forest. (As an edit, Pet Nerd has informed me to add J. P. Morgan, that evil bankster, as another evildoer in the life of Tesla). Through electrical orbs or electromagnetic energy (you choose your favorite gimmick) reminiscent of the Great and Powerful Wizard of Oz, they are whisked away into the time continuum into another dimension and you, as the detective, John Perry, must try to locate this time machine which has disappeared along with the magician and his assistant.

This is a dated game and using my magical, psychic powers, I would venture a guess it has been in BF's vault for awhile. There are only two levels of play. The game is one we might have seen and played 5 years ago - definitely old school. The HOG scenes are decent. The graphics are grainy and again old school. The puzzles are few and are very easy. The "muzac" seems to include period pieces from that era. I liked last weeks' "leftover dinner" better than this one. I RATE THIS GAME 4 STARS OUT OF 5 STARS FOR AN SE.

Edited on 06/18/2014 at 4:23:43 PM PST

Tufty57
Minnow
Minnow
229 Posts

[Post New]by Tufty57 on Jun 19, 14 3:45 AM
Oooh, this snuck out under my radar, but I am so glad I spotted it!

Well, after a thoroughly enjoyable and relaxing hour playing the demo, I will be investing a coupon on this little gem. There are not many SE stand-alones these days and I buy many of the CEs so it is nice to have something worth buying.

I won't go into the storyline as others have already, suffice to say I enjoyed it.

Music was lovely, very relaxing, and I found the graphics OK. Voices were appropriate, though the fortune teller's was a bit odd. I did like the little chap at the Carnival, found him very funny and I hope he pops up again.

(BTW I believe you might be able to skip the voice-overs as the cursor turns to a double arrow. Yes they are a little long, but add to the game in developing characters and giving information. All part of the relaxation element for me; these games are not a race.)

It IS a simpler game that we are maybe used to. No map or jump hint, lots of toing and froing, but it's not as if there is miles to go and sometimes those things make me lazy in using my 'little grey cells' to remember an action to do or where to use a key etc.

I enjoyed the puzzles so far, especially the shooting gallery.

So, it is a definite purchase for me and is highly recommended for a download and trial.

jadewolf82
Seahorse
Seahorse
38 Posts

[Post New]by jadewolf82 on Jun 20, 14 12:35 AM
I really enjoyed this game. I don't post often, but I wanted to put in my 2 cents worth. Fairly easy, but an interesting story line. Sometimes the "gears" that indicated something to do were in a very small space. Most of all, I LOVED the music. Overall, I enjoyed it.

[Post New]by tiredoftrouble on Jun 27, 14 3:24 AM
tried and bought the game now it freezes up and cannot play. sounded good. just wasted my money. I even deleted and reinstalled. Don't but this game.

[Post New]by feenix2011 on Jun 27, 14 7:49 PM
Haven't read the reviews yet - maybe I should have! I have a few punch card creidts to use and was going to use one on this game, but I just couldn't get into this game somehow. Wasn't crazy about the graphics, wasn't crazy about anything in the game, actually!! I don't think this will be a buy for me. Its the weekend so I will do a bit more browsing!! Maybe a beginner gamer would like this game. There is nothing really wrong with it - just didn't "grab" me!!

feenix

BlackWaterRules
Shark
Shark
10,153 Posts

[Post New]by BlackWaterRules on Jun 30, 14 2:32 PM
A magician (who looks suspiciously like a cross between Johnny Depp and John Leguisamo) and his assistant disappear in front of a packed audience while performing a magic trick. They enter a time machine and then disappear. The next thing that happens is that the time machine itself disappears.

The soundtrack in this game is excellent. The music is very intriguing and continues throughout the game. The voice overs are the best I have ever heard in a game, very realistic. The visuals are beautiful, also realistic. The characters are remarkably life-like.

The hidden object scenes are very well done: list type with some interactivity. The clues are accurate and the objects are clearly drawn. Mini puzzles were also a lot of fun.

I would have bought this game for the soundtrack alone. It is a great game.

Edited on 06/30/2014 at 2:34:55 PM PST

roxiestar74
Minnow
Minnow
290 Posts

[Post New]by roxiestar74 on Aug 22, 14 6:26 AM
I thought the story of this game was very original and do not agree with other reviewers here that say that the story is same old, same old. I have been a member of Big Fish for 4 years now and have not played any other games that have a 19th century detective that has the power to go through portals which allows him to visit different dimensions while he looks for a missing magician and his assistant. If people said the story wasn't original enough, they probably did not play past the demo, because I have not played any other games that have a story exactly like this, Yes other games have carnival settings and the first portal leads to a carnival, but that was only one place that it is visited near the beginning, and there is a lot more to the game than what takes place at the carnival. The game is on the shorter side and the game play itself seems a bit old fashioned as compared to newer games, but that doesn't take away from the fact that the story is very original. If you are looking for a game that has a story that is very interesting and different from the norm, I recommend this to you.

Go to: