fingerprints on grate

fingerprints on grate

[Post New]by Mimi2cjbkgrjg on Jun 19, 14 1:01 AM
I keep using the brush on the grate and prints appear but I don't know what to do with them. I can't go any further, the hint button keeps sending me back to the grate

Re:fingerprints on grate

[Post New]by dobbiemijnboekje on Jun 19, 14 1:18 AM
Do you have a wrench? I don't know if I write that word good.

[Post New]by Mimi2cjbkgrjg on Jun 19, 14 1:23 AM
yes, but when I try to use it, the brush comes up over the wrench

_DD_
Flounder
Flounder
2,115 Posts

[Post New]by _DD_ on Jun 19, 14 1:28 AM
keep brushing all over the grate and around; the brush will vanish when you're done, and yes, it does take some time!

[Post New]by littlemouse7 on Jun 19, 14 1:38 AM
Maybe you have missed a spot. try holding the click and brushing over some parts of the grade or wall you haven't brushed before.there should be an animation after that.

[Post New]by Mimi2cjbkgrjg on Jun 19, 14 2:15 AM
Thanks, DD , patience is not my virtue!
P.S.It worked by the way. Thanks again

Edited on 06/19/2014 at 5:08:08 PM PST

katejoe999
Herring
Herring
308 Posts

[Post New]by katejoe999 on Jun 19, 14 2:33 AM
I get the brush in its case, in grey, and I don't seem to be able to brush at all! Are you supposed to 'put it down' somewhere and take the brush?
I've tried to click and hold or just move my mouse over the entire area and still get nothing.

Glitch already or am I missing something??

Thanks for any help!

Now I got it!

In case any one else is confused you don't use the icon of the brush in the scene but open your finger print kit that is on the left side of your inventory bar.
Phew!!

Edited on 06/19/2014 at 2:38:40 AM PST

[Post New]by nanatsunade on Jun 19, 14 2:59 AM
I just spent approx 30 minutes of my trial period trying to get that brush to disappear with no luck. Sitting here running that brush over every inch of that grate and the wall around it. Why won't it do anything???? Wasting time on this wasn't my idea of a trial period. I even tried uninstalling the game and re-installing it, and that didn't even work. What the heck??

_DD_
Flounder
Flounder
2,115 Posts

[Post New]by _DD_ on Jun 19, 14 3:05 AM
nanatsunade wrote:I just spent approx 30 minutes of my trial period trying to get that brush to disappear with no luck. Sitting here running that brush over every inch of that grate and the wall around it. Why won't it do anything????

so sorry to hear about your first experience with this game, nanatsunade! and welcome to the BFG forums

It should do something: do you see black hand prints appear?
Are you holding down the mouse button while brushing? just moving it isn't enough. Good luck!

If so, I have no other idea than to post in the Tech.issues thread about it, with your system specs.

ETA: What do you mean with "it didn't even work" here? The new installation didn't work??
I even tried uninstalling the game and re-installing it, and that didn't even work.

Edited on 06/19/2014 at 3:08:18 AM PST

Dudesmum
Guppy
Guppy
110 Posts

[Post New]by Dudesmum on Jun 19, 14 3:45 AM
I think it needed a bit more in the way of instructions on how to use the kit...

Yes katejoe999... You are of course right When you point your mouse over the grate it shows a grey brush

This is to show that you need to open your fingerprint kit to the left of the tool bar... Much in the way we used the Healer Kit in the first Myths...

When you open the kit... It open a bottle of powder, pours it in a small bowl....

You then click your mouse into the bowl... the mouse pointer should look like a brush... get powder on the brush and whilst holding down the mouse pointer you 'brush all over and around that grate... I just kept going until the brush pointer disappeared... I had black powder everywhere in the little window then once finished I say something about the killer and his hand... Then as I didn't have it yet I set off looking for the Wrench...

Good luck as in the Demo you may have to use it again

PS: I think I have finger print powder all over my clothes I used so much of it...

Edited on 06/19/2014 at 3:46:54 AM PST

tookat
Flounder
Flounder
2,099 Posts

[Post New]by tookat on Jun 19, 14 7:38 AM
yeah....snicker.....I am covered in it and sneezing!

Honestly, it helps to ask yourself, could there be fingerpints elsewhere besides on the four screws?

Spoiler...Highlight to see remark: Apparently, the clue is not so much that the grate was used for the poison as to note that the poisoner is missing one finger to his right hand! ta ta dum! eerie horns and drum role.....will our suspect where gloves with a false finger, or will we see and suspect him right away?

Tune in next episode for as the fingerprint flies!

purplecat8
Clownfish
Clownfish
535 Posts

[Post New]by purplecat8 on Jun 19, 14 1:50 PM
Dudesmum wrote:I think it needed a bit more in the way of instructions on how to use the kit...

Like any explanation whatsoever! Now that I've come here and read everyone's suggestions, I'll try it again.

Update: Nope, didn't work. I held the "right-mouse button" (touchpad equivalent) down and waved it over the whole area. No fingerprints, nada. Bye-bye game, I am not wasting more time on you.

Edited on 06/19/2014 at 1:56:26 PM PST

Mr_Russ
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
16,662 Posts

[Post New]by Mr_Russ on Jun 19, 14 2:39 PM
purplecat8 wrote: I held the "right-mouse button" (touchpad equivalent) down
It's left mouse button if you're doing it on a PC - drag but don't drop.

Edited on 06/19/2014 at 2:40:36 PM PST

Calicohorse
Lobster
Lobster
97 Posts

[Post New]by Calicohorse on Jun 19, 14 3:02 PM
Yeah, I'd call this a glitch. I have been throwing around dust for about 10 minutes and systematically too - not willy-nilly - and haven't completed it. Ah well, it's a very, very good game, with this one exception.

[Post New]by nanatsunade on Jun 19, 14 5:52 PM
Yes, DD, I did try the "holding the mouse button down while brushing the area". Used up the last five minutes in the trial period doing so. Still, nothing. When I said I uninstalled and re-installed the game, that's exactly what I did. I probably should have restarted my laptop also, because when I opened the game, it was stuck on that grate and brush that wouldn't work. Fingerprints looked like they were trying to form, but never did completely. And, I kept brushing and brushing and brushing some more....trial period ran out. Can't decide if I want to buy this game now, due to this one problem.

belamba
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,058 Posts

[Post New]by belamba on Jun 20, 14 12:40 AM
I had this fingerprint issue and it drove me nuts!
Then I realised you need to click on bottom 'left' on fingerprint kit. It then puts powder on brush and by holding left mouse button down it uncovers the finger prints!
I thought it was a glitch on my Mac, so tried game on W8 machine and same thing.
The grey box you see on the grate (and later on other things) is just telling you to use the kit. Just not very clearly...

Hope this helps.

jennsmom
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,207 Posts

[Post New]by jennsmom on Jun 21, 14 7:45 AM
My "mouse finger" is wearing out, and still nothing is happening -- I mean, other than the fingerprints and handprints showing. I get no message and do not lose the brush. What is really confusing, is that I did a Beta Survey for this game, and did not have this problem! I didn't even try it out, I just bought it because my game notes said, "Buy this game!" Frustrating!

Edit to note that I left the game entirely, came back, made sure I had the wrench and THEN went to dust for fingerprints. This time, it worked with no problem.

Edited on 06/21/2014 at 8:49:41 AM PST

[Post New]by libragirl44 on Jun 21, 14 11:56 AM
Same problem with the fingerprints on the grate. I can't get rid of the
brush in order to use the wrench on the bolts! I gave up!

tookat
Flounder
Flounder
2,099 Posts

[Post New]by tookat on Jun 21, 14 2:44 PM
You have to brush outside the grate and all around it until you not only have FULL handprints on the wall, but you HAVE to keep it up until the detective talks about the handprints.
Then the brush disappears.

muttmom
Clownfish
Clownfish
534 Posts

[Post New]by muttmom on Jun 21, 14 2:45 PM
I went out of the game, went back in, then the fingerprint kit worked just fine. All you need to do is move the brush around. The fingerprints may not be directly on the item.

Go to: