Please post your REVIEWS for Reflections of Life: Tree of Dreams Collector's Edition here

[Post New]by pondprowler on Jun 21, 14 12:33 AM
A thread for your reviews!

Edited on 06/21/2014 at 9:47:53 AM PST

Tufty57
Minnow
Minnow
229 Posts

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Reflections of Life: Tree of Dreams Collector's Edition here

[Post New]by Tufty57 on Jun 21, 14 2:16 AM
Like nouvelle cuisine, it was delicious, but I wanted more!

Maybe I am just a spoilt brat.

There was much about this game that was delightful; it had many aspects that I love to see in a CE:
* Good achievements (I will overlook the 10 mins for a HOS, you already now my feelings on that!)
* Legendary items to collect
* Hidden leaves to gather and several in each scene
* A jump map showing active areas
* An owl helper (which you DON'T have to name, dress up or buy things for!)
* A bonus chapter AND a secret chapter
* Usual CE extras SG/Wallpaper etc which I don't bother with

The one puzzle I skipped showed the solution, which I liked.

HOWEVER, this was the only puzzle which provided a modicum of challenge. Some were so basic, it was laughable.

HOSs are straightforward lists with some items that require minimal interaction. Each is revisited and is the same type again.

There are 3 levels of challenge but no custom mode.

Graphics are quite good, but a little blurry at times, sounds in the opening scene (pattering rain and thunder) are effective but the music thereafter was nothing special.

The story has been done before, but this is a bit different with a variety of 'worlds' to save by going through various portals. You know there is a problem because, yes you've guessed it, there is lots of black smoke!!!

The trial lasted 66 mins for me and ended on a cliffhanger (quite literally!) so I will probably buy with the weekend's sale.

As I said at the start, some developers have raised the bar so much that a game which would have thrilled me a few months ago is now leaving me a little cold.

You must try it. It might be just me. Hopefully it will pick up in the rest of the game.

margit50
Squid
Squid
69 Posts

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Reflections of Life: Tree of Dreams Collector's Edition here

[Post New]by margit50 on Jun 21, 14 5:14 AM
I really liked this game, it will be a definite buy, when I came to the 2nd HOS I noticed you can switch to M3 play.

bfgWendwater
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,911 Posts

[Post New]by bfgWendwater on Jun 21, 14 9:47 AM
Hello Everyone,

Welcome to the reviews thread! Please feel free to post your thoughts and feedback on Reflections of Life: Tree of Dreams Collector's Edition here. We appreciate the time you take to put your reviews together, and I know other gamers and the developers do as well. We just have a few guidelines to keep in mind when posting. Our goal with these is to keep the thread tidy, easy to navigate and helpful.

Review Guidelines

1) Be sure to keep your reviews on-topic. Reviews in this thread should only be commenting on Reflections of Life: Tree of Dreams Collector's Edition.
2) Be respectful of the reviewers. Please keep in mind our Forum Rules and be respectful of our reviewers. They take the time to post here to be helpful. Please do not review the reviews of others.
3) Do not respond to someone else’s reviews with questions or comments If you have any feedback about a review, or you feel that a review contains incorrect details about the game, please contact the poster directly via PM.
4) Do not review developers. While we do appreciate your feedback, we’d ask that you keep your posts in this thread dedicated to the specific game at hand.

*Moderators will be removing any content in this thread that is not a review.

If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to PM one of our Moderators.

bfgWendwater

divaprods
Minnow
Minnow
285 Posts

[Post New]by divaprods on Jun 21, 14 10:19 AM
I really liked this trial. The graphics are almost 3D, but the story was fairly mundane. Even w/the sale I've given up on buying CE's because I rarely like the bonus games and they can keep the rest of the extras. I will buy this one when the SE comes out.

steve_san
Clownfish
Clownfish
586 Posts

[Post New]by steve_san on Jun 21, 14 11:52 AM
"Reflections" Mirrors Lots of Others

Ho hum, another in a series of what I call "pink and purple" games. Some of us fishes, *ahem* do not care for pink and purple games - and I don't just mean the colors.

In this one, you are supposedly an orphan, but one day your uncle walks out of a mirror with an owl sitting on his shoulder. He invites you to follow him back through the mirror to find your parents, but just then a monster from the mirror attacks him. Naturally, you are the ONLY ONE who can defeat the evil so and so. The rest of the story gets sillier as somehow the mirror worlds have to do with human dreams, and Vi Animo or something. *Sigh* Spare me this silliness.

During the dialog, and there is a lot of it needed to explain this convolution, there was a bug which caused the dialog words to be actually off screen, so you had better listen carefully, if you choose to follow this, um ... tale.

This game also *reflects* other recent games in it's very easy and simplistic game play. Do not expect to be challenged unless you are a very beginning player. Hidden object scenes are very standard, puzzles as well. Very easy to complete.

There are collectible leaves, which are semi-transparent to make them blend in. They would be the most challenging feature, except you can click the fly-out on the left in each scene and it will tell you how many leaves are there. So...easy.

There is a Bonus Chapter and a Hidden Chapter in this CE. On the Hard setting, there are no sparkles. There is a jump *map* if you can call it a map. Then the usual other pseudo-extras that have no effect on my decision to purchase or not.

This reviewer hopes Reflections is not a *reflection* of where future games are going because, in his humble opinion, the mirror should be re-framed or just plain covered over. I'll pass even with sale.

That's my honest opinion, let me know what you think.

dancemom1
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,198 Posts

[Post New]by dancemom1 on Jun 21, 14 11:57 AM
Hi all. Interesting CE today. Colors are not as vibrant as most have been, but are a little muted to give you that "fairy tale" look and are well done. Graphics and game play were very nice. Music was quiet for the most part and not at all annoying. It did rise and fall depending on what was happening in the scene. There wasn't a lot in the way of sound FX, but they were nicely done. Voice overs were few and far between, making this a fairly quiet game. You have an owl that helps you reach places you can't normally get to easily.

HOPs were the standard you see in every other game, and interactive. Pretty clear and clean and items were not difficult to find. There is a map, but I didn't find the need to use it at all, as the hint system worked quite well and also teleported you to long distances. Puzzles were some of the same and a few new ones mixed in, meaning some simple and others that took some time and real thought to complete. There were a couple that were quite challenging for me, e.g., key drop.

The only collectibles I found are the 176 leaves. There is a box on the middle left side that constantly tells you that you found a leaf, popping in and out with each one, which is quite annoying. If I want to know if I got them all, I will open the box. It also tells you if you have found them all in a scene. Yes, there is more than one in each scene. These leaves are not as easy to spot as you may think, as they are opaque and blend in well with some of the background. No eye strain, but you do have to look for them.

I like traveling to different areas and having new scenery to look at and new goals to achieve in each. I did not find this particularly challenging. It was a very simple game that didn't require a lot of skill, but I found it fun and different and it made me want more when the demo ended. Yes, I will purchase this game and recommend it for all levels of players.

As always, try it for yourself and see what you think. We all have different tastes in games and you may not care for this one at all. Thanks for the reviews.

sunnyglow
Clownfish
Clownfish
804 Posts

[Post New]by sunnyglow on Jun 21, 14 2:33 PM
Grab your computerized bifocals (to make Granny look "stylish and chic") and rocking chair to play the newest game from a dev, a member of the family, we haven't seen for awhile - our beloved Granny. (She probably has been baking "cookies" for her grandchildren or maybe cleaning up the crumbs of those "cookies" in their computers - such a nice Grandma).

You are an orphan whose parents abandoned you at an orphanage (hey - what great parents -to leave your child in an institution! Hey Grandma - why didn't you raise little Gracie? Huh? Too busy researching Apple pie recipes on your MacIntosh for Pi Day?) Having another Alice "Through the Looking Glass" moment, your uncle appears to inform you that your parents are alive and you are in grave danger. It appears you will enter five worlds to find the great, dark, evildoer who has caused havoc to your family.

First - let's be fair to Grandma (no one wants to hurt her feelings). This game is following a CE game on Thursday from one of the best devs (and in my opinion the best dev on the site) and that is a hard act to follow! To me, this game lacks all of the innovation and creative genius of that game - so be prepared!

There are 3 levels in this game without an option to customize. The graphics are not the best and appear very grainy on my awesome computer. You have a travel companion in the form of an owl. The HOP scenes are interactive and so are the inventory items. If you do not want to look for the items, you may play a Match 3 game instead. The puzzles are extremely easy to the point of being boring. Wow! You collect and search for 176 leaves! That is major amount of "raking" for you to do from scene to scene in the game. Yuk! Just the idea of raking leaves makes me cringe! The story is very slow moving and I almost fell asleep in playing this game. I believe this game was actually created for the younger fish in the BF family. Like others, this game seems like it came from a child's storybook. Sorry, my fellow fish - I just could not finish the full 90 minute demo. It was that boring and after a hard week, I am in need of adult weekend entertainment! The game is supposed to be finished in 5 hours. I RATE THIS GAME 3 STARS OUT OF 5 STARS FOR A CE. If you like low stress, relaxing games or have children, this is an ideal game for you!

shripch
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,952 Posts

[Post New]by shripch on Jun 21, 14 3:26 PM
I've made the decision to purchase this game, but mainly because of the sale. Sales must be working for BFG because we can count on one very weekend!
This is an average game. Not a "very good" or "great" game, but okay. Good for those of us who MUST play a game (drives my husband nuts ) or perish. Does that mean I'm addicted!? Must be. Time to get back to the hard stuff. Pure adventure. Maybe some Nancy Drew.

abarrett
Clownfish
Clownfish
990 Posts

[Post New]by abarrett on Jun 21, 14 9:26 PM
I agree with twinsoniclab. There was nothing to set this game apart. I am not the most experienced HOPA or HOG player. I play most games on casual mode because I prefer the relaxation of playing and not a hard core challenge.

[Post New]by daisyduck352 on Jun 22, 14 11:07 AM
It was an ok game, a lot like some of the others I have played lately. Seems you run in circles and don't care for that part of game. Graphics are good, puzzles too. If I do buy it will wait for the SE.. Give it 3 out of 5 stars

LynFrank
Guppy
Guppy
111 Posts

[Post New]by LynFrank on Jun 26, 14 7:51 AM
Wow!! There was a heck of a lot to do in this game, it had a lot of going to and fro, which I didn't like so much. The graphics were great, though and puzzles were fairly different to most. Plenty of colour and the music did not get grating on my nerves like some of the other games. The leaves were hard to find - usually the last one in each scene - there are 4 to collect in each and there is an indicator on the left, when, if you click it, it will tell you how many are left to collect.
I usually like to only use the strategy button when I get stuck, but found that this game didn't have a lot of logic to it, so I had to click on it a lot more than normal.
Because of the bonus game and the added one after that, I am giving it a four star review.

Pertigal
Shark
Shark
10,783 Posts

[Post New]by Pertigal on Jul 1, 14 5:13 PM
I agree that there was a lot to do and, for me, it was a long game. I like that they let you search for any leaves you missed at the end of the game. All that leaf peeping can interfere with the flow of things. It's not the best game I ever played but I enjoyed it and I definitely feel like I got my money's worth. Even the bonus game was fairly lengthy (as far as bonus games go).

[Post New]by mattiehelen2002 on Jul 12, 14 2:29 PM
I had sort of lost interest in BF games, and have many CEs I have not even played yet because they were becoming cliché. I love BF, but was thinking about leaving for a while. However, I had game credits to use and was waiting for a sale. I did purchase the latest Dark Parables, which I always enjoy.

THEN, here comes Reflections of Life and I was hooked again. This game was truly different and although I have not finished playing it, I had to take a time out to visit the forum, read some of the reviews, and tell you how much I am enjoying it. This game is absolutely wonderful.

I love the unusual puzzles, the jump map (not the best), the interactive Hos which I love, the hidden leaves, the portals, and the fact that I have not had to use the SG. Graphics are so-so, but still good. Many of the features in this game, although common in HOs games, have a pleasant twist, which is why I am enjoying it.

The reviews I am reading make me excited because it seems this is going to be a long game, and I am really looking forward to the bonus game and the hidden chapter.

Edited on 07/12/2014 at 2:32:58 PM PST

[Post New]by mattiehelen2002 on Jul 16, 14 6:56 AM
Still not finished playing, and taking a break. Anyone who says this game is not challenging and is your usual HOs game, is loony! I just finished solving the "beautiful mind" puzzle, and it was "not" easy. A number of the puzzles were difficult, but solvable, and I am playing in casual mode. If people think it's so easy, they should play at the "advance" or "hard" level. This game is the "bomb" and I am enjoying it immensely. Makes me wonder what mode they are playing. The game is nice and long and full of surprises and well worth the money.

At any rate, I found it Interesting, in reading the reviews, that even the naysayers purchased the game and recommended buying it. I don't post very often, but I have to say the reason I love BF is because of the forums and amazing people giving reviews which help me decide on purchases.

Quick question - how does one add the emoticons and stars; how do I tag a comment to comment on? I saw one I really wanted to comment on and haven't figured that out yet. OK my fishy friends, back to the game.

Edited on 07/16/2014 at 6:59:28 AM PST

[Post New]by quarlesqueen on Jul 17, 14 3:53 PM
This game is a MIXED BAG, of positive and negative feeling, about the game.

I really enjoyed the DEMO, thought it was going to be one of those games, that I love, so I purchased the CE, after my demo was up .
I will have to agree with the poster before me, I did not find this game easy, in the least, am an advanced player ( or at least I should be, with as many games as I've played )..lol, but I just could NOT find my groove, in this one, so I found my eyelids, getting very heavy when trying, to go on. It felt more like I was taking a million steps, INSTEAD of having FUN, which is why I play games. The tread on my sneakers was getting thin, back and fourth, to and fro, OMG just shoot me already .
WISH..I could put my finger on it, I will not say it's a bad game, just not my cuppa tea, if you will, it moved WAY to slow, for the story to grab me, or better yet to keep me engaged. What I did like was the visuals, very PRETTY, and I LOVED collecting the leaves, loved my owl, but the game play, just wasn't there IMHO, at least for me anyway.
So I am out the dollars spent, on this CE such a shame because I can't see myself finishing this one, so not a happy camper at the moment .

[Post New]by mattiehelen2002 on Jul 21, 14 3:18 AM
Well I finished this "extremely" long and really busy game. For me, this was a good purchase, but believe me when I tell you this game is not for the faint of heart.

The graphics are beautiful, and the HOs nice, but there were not enough HOs to play. Puzzles were unique and really required patience, strong determination, and perseverance. I actually solved all of the puzzles, some by accident (don't know what I did), and had to take frequent breaks and keep coming back to finish solving. Fortunately, it kept me where I left off and I did not have to resolve what I had already solved -- this was a good feature because some puzzles had 2-3 levels to solve and were really difficult.

The MAP was somewhat helpful, but you could not always trust it because while there was something to do at the location, what was needed was elsewhere.

I loved the leaves and the leaf puzzle at the end was great. I even enjoyed the hidden room. My BIG disappointment was that I would have loved for the bonus section to have contained some of the difficult puzzles for me to play and solve again without having to replay the entire game. I usually like to try solving puzzles over again and then replay the entire game to see if I can improve my time. It will be a cold day in July before I replay this game just to resolve the puzzles.

Edited on 07/21/2014 at 3:20:47 AM PST

Go to: