tookat
Flounder
Flounder
2,099 Posts

Things to like in the game

[Post New]by tookat on Jun 21, 14 9:02 PM
The apartment our orphan lives in is beautiful......
and two very nice touches are the rain blowing in through the windows of her bedroom.....
and the beautifully animated cat on the bed.....who has a loud and lovely purr if you pet it.

I don't know what our protagonist does since leaving the orphanage (I cannot imagine any orphanage keeping someone much past 20, let alone 18) but she is obviously doing well for herself.....or was left some kind of trust fund.

The scrolling notice on the left hand side of the screen that tells you if there are leaves to find....wonderful touch!

catbag8717
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,163 Posts

Re:Things to like in the game

[Post New]by catbag8717 on Jun 21, 14 10:09 PM
Mmm, I agree. I love games with collectibles and I love it when there is an indicator to tell you if you have found the collectible for the scene!
So would you say it's worth downloading the trial, tookat?

tookat
Flounder
Flounder
2,099 Posts

[Post New]by tookat on Jun 22, 14 2:37 AM
Catbag, I bought the game......but I bought it because I like "eye candy" and Grandma does some beautiful scenes (imho).....I also liked some of the things they did with their last game......unexpected lagniappes when I clicked something.
I am a sucker for that stuff......but I am also a sucker for a story driven game, and the last game had a lot of twists and turns in the story.
Will this game follow suit?
I don't know.....but, if it does not, I will not get angry or deeply disappointed.....I might a little, because I still haven't worked out all my ego deficiencies.......but, mostly I have learned to laugh things off.

When I ended the demo, I had only 14 minutes left, but I kept wandering off to do other things, and forgetting I was demoing the game, so I didn't get very far.
I blame it all, including some moodiness on a new medication I am trying, and not doing well with.

So, my intuition tells me, I will like the game, but friend, I don't know you well enough to predict whether you will.
However, it is, I think, worth doing the demo.
Grab yourself a book or a magazine so you don't see how long the download is taking....or, you said you lived in a house with others....maybe play a game of hands on cards.....or have a beer, glass of wine or a cup of tea with a housemate.
but, with downloading the demo, you at least have a chance to choose for yourself, and that is always the best thing......even if the download is long.

oh...I will say the three puzzles I have done so far, were really, really easy.....enough to make me consider playing at a higher difficulty level than "easy"....but, I know in their last game, there were easy puzzles and screaming meemee puzzles.
Ok, I take it back about the puzzles being too easy. What they SHOULD have done, was put some of these harder puzzles in the beginning, so that people would get to them during their demo. This game, obviously has a mix of puzzle skill levels.

Edited on 06/22/2014 at 9:08:54 PM PST

tookat
Flounder
Flounder
2,099 Posts

[Post New]by tookat on Jun 22, 14 3:12 AM
There is a gorgeous Bengal kitty or Oci-kitty in the uncles study, but it leaves too soon.

I forgot to mention that the jump map shows next action, which is a great feature, and you can jump, but I still find the map somewhat confusing......oops, this is supposed to be things I liked....
sorry!

You can watch the cut-scenes over almost immediately in the diary....I love that.

They had a storm move in......this is in the first "world" and it was really a well done animation.

oh, and I just got to a more challenging puzzle.....and it had a reset button.

Tiger2010
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
16,624 Posts

[Post New]by Tiger2010 on Jun 22, 14 10:21 AM
Yes, Tookat. I couldn't believe how beautifully drawn that Bengal in Uncle's study was. He looks just like Mowgli.

I've never seen a Bengal in a game before. Coincidentally, Mowgli was sitting on my desk at the time. I looked at that cat, then looked at Mowgli and we stared at each other.

I said to him: "So that's where you've been when I couldn't find you. You've been moonlighting!"

His response? Absolutely nothing; just more dead-pan staring. Oh, don't you just LOVE cats? They are so wonderfully superior to us mere humans.

tookat
Flounder
Flounder
2,099 Posts

[Post New]by tookat on Jun 22, 14 7:11 PM
Tiger,
I am certain he later yawned, said "That cat does not look anywhere near as handsome as I do" or "Those artists didn't do me justice, I move far more svelte and sleek than that!" then he did an elegant stretch before lofting himself off the table and landing with a clatter that sounds like nine elephants landing, looked around and said "Who was that who made that huge noise?....certainly not I!......and then he streamed out of the room in search of a window where he could watch birds while thinking of how lovely it would be to fly.

tookat
Flounder
Flounder
2,099 Posts

[Post New]by tookat on Jun 22, 14 10:38 PM
Cat lovers beware!
The third scene in Librius has a small wild cat.....looks like a cub too me.
I was so entranced by the fierce little one, that I almost forgot to collect the leaves.
THEN, there is a wonderful old elder....a sage, who needs our help....
whoops....If I hadn't seen a leaf, it would have skipped my mind entirely.

yes....I am educated, taught at a college, but.....I cannot resist a cat, not since my own cat, forced her way into my house often enough, that I discovered I was becoming a cat lover....and she, wanted to be an only cat and familiar with the ways of people, wound her way into my heart.
knowing her helped turn me from a cynic and Nihilist to a mush head who goes, "oh look a kitty!"

The scene, btw, where our protagonist is swept up by the winds is really quite stunningly beautiful at the end, but doesn't last long. Hurrah for multiplay on the cut scenes!

Tiger2010
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
16,624 Posts

[Post New]by Tiger2010 on Jun 23, 14 12:33 AM
Tookat, that's pretty much how it went! They both make a thundering noise running around which sounds a lot like a herd of elephants.

I loved that cub too and I'm looking forward to seeing the cat in the bedroom. I think I'll need to start this game again tonight, though. For some strange reason I got hooked on Vacation Mogul in the wee hours and now I don't remember what I'm meant to be doing with this one.

I'll be sure to pay attention to that windswept last scene!!

It's no hardship starting over, though. I love this game and I was only about 12 puzzles in. I've never heard of Grannie Studios, but they sure have done a fine job.

tookat
Flounder
Flounder
2,099 Posts

[Post New]by tookat on Jun 23, 14 10:43 PM
I really,, really liked their last game Whispered Secrets: Into the Beyond.....and I mean REALLY LIKED.......and I remember liking Whispered Secrets: The Story of Tideville, though that was a while ago.
I think I am going to have to play Tideville again just to see, but I think they are growing into themselves with each game.

bobhillman
Clownfish
Clownfish
688 Posts

[Post New]by bobhillman on Jul 11, 14 10:10 AM
Tiger2010 wrote:Yes, Tookat. I couldn't believe how beautifully drawn that Bengal in Uncle's study was. He looks just like Mowgli.

I've never seen a Bengal in a game before. Coincidentally, Mowgli was sitting on my desk at the time. I looked at that cat, then looked at Mowgli and we stared at each other.

I said to him: "So that's where you've been when I couldn't find you. You've been moonlighting!"

His response? Absolutely nothing; just more dead-pan staring. Oh, don't you just LOVE cats? They are so wonderfully superior to us mere humans.

A very good friend of mine (now no longer with us, unfortunately) always used to say "Cats don't have owners, they have servants."

tookat
Flounder
Flounder
2,099 Posts

[Post New]by tookat on Jul 11, 14 10:48 PM
I had planned on keeping a running commentary of things to fool around with while in the game.....and, I am sorry folks, but I have gotten so immersed in enjoying the game, that I forgot to look for things to write about.

As for cats having servants instead of owners? That is true BobHillman, sadly......very, very true.
Fortunately, cats...while having such an aloof reputation are also loving and loyal and a lot of fun as companions.

When my old kitty was very, very old, she developed this incredible foghorn voice that was amazing to hear coming from such a little animal....you could hear her two houses over when she yowled for Staff!....which since she was blind by then, meant anything from food, water, come and cuddle me!.....you obeyed her just to have it stop.

She passed on at the age of 24, which means I don't have any cat to tell me I am staying up too late while playing a computer game.
While alive, she had various strategies to see that I would go to bed.....her favorite being lying down over my arms.....but, she also knew how to hit the computer switch or the switch to the surge protector....and I have heard of other cats pulling plugs....and climbing onto backs of chairs, from there to the shoulder and from there to on top of head, where they proceed to be an annoyance until we stop and do what they want.

Go to: