Edited on 06/22/2014 at 8:36:54 AM PST

Tufty57
Minnow
Minnow
229 Posts

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Chronicles of the Witches and Warlocks here

[Post New]by Tufty57 on Jun 22, 14 2:13 AM
A bit retro, but I liked the story!

You are a lawyer and, when your boyfriend (an artefact hunter) is arrested under mysterious circumstances, you agree to continue his search for a particular artefact in an attempt to clear his name.

Gameplay is straightforward HOPA with simple puzzles and list/junkpile HOSs with simple interaction for some items. There are some linguistic errors in the HOSs (eg leaflet for leaf).

There is a map but, so far, it does not identify locations, just where you are and where an action is. The active areas are, however, fairly small so you don't have to think too hard. I didn't try to jump with it and have no idea if you can.

Graphics are fair in gameplay but poor in animated cut scenes. There is no sound on VOs or animations so it interrupts the atmosphere of the game somewhat. The music is repetitive and every lock/mechanism you open has the same sound.

The aim is to collect totems for your artefact. There are 16 to collect and, within the 1 hour trial, I received two, so it could be a long game.

It is a bit of fun and might be a good buy on today's sale or with a coupon tomorrow. I recommend a try but, if you have just completed one of the recent, high level games, lower your expectations before you begin!

Special note for Jacksjen - It opens with Player Profile

bfgVaiya
Salmon
Salmon
2,557 Posts

[Post New]by bfgVaiya on Jun 22, 14 8:36 AM
Hello Everyone,

Welcome to the reviews thread! Please feel free to post your thoughts and feedback on Chronicles of the Witches and Warlocks here. We appreciate the time you take to put your reviews together, and I know other gamers and the developers do as well. We just have a few guidelines to keep in mind when posting. Our goal with these is to keep the thread tidy, easy to navigate and helpful.

Review Guidelines

1) Be sure to keep your reviews on-topic. Reviews in this thread should only be commenting on Chronicles of the Witches and Warlocks.
2) Be respectful of the reviewers. Please keep in mind our Forum Rules and be respectful of our reviewers. They take the time to post here to be helpful. Please do not review the reviews of others.
3) Do not respond to someone else’s reviews with questions or comments If you have any feedback about a review, or you feel that a review contains incorrect details about the game, please contact the poster directly via PM.
4) Do not review developers. While we do appreciate your feedback, we’d ask that you keep your posts in this thread dedicated to the specific game at hand.

*Moderators will be removing any content in this thread that is not a review.

If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to PM one of our Moderators.

bfgVaiya

sunnyglow
Clownfish
Clownfish
804 Posts

[Post New]by sunnyglow on Jun 22, 14 12:24 PM
Boy! I cannot believe I am actually demoing this game! Am I actually spending a Sunday on this game? Geesh do I need to get a life or what? The only reason I demoed this was because it is from a dev who develops the nanogram, pictogram, Ekaki (call them whatever you want) puzzles on this site. Since they some of favorite type of puzzles, I decided to see what this dev has up his sleeve in the HOP game department.

This game is definitely old school. I may be wrong, but this seems like their first attempt in developing this type of game. The storyline is decent. The story involves a lawyer whose boyfriend is in trouble, accused of murdering his neighbor. He is an archaeologist and in this instance he is searching for a totem which absorbs the life essence of its victims. Since he is in prison, she must investigate the murder and find the culprit. There is no sound and the graphics are grainy. The HOP scenes are junk piles and not interactive. There is an equal mix of puzzles and HOP scenes and the puzzles are decent. The map DOES NOT transport you from location-to-location. There are not collectibles or any "frills" at all in this game. To be honest, I only spent about 30 minutes on this game. I was only able to complete two HOP scenes and two puzzles.

Hopefully, this dev will continue to experiment and create a better game in their next attempt. I can see great potential with this dev. Their future works could not be any worse than some of the CE "creations" we get on this site. This not a game I will play, and I really prefer their nanogram puzzles to this genre. I RATE THIS GAME 3 STARS OUT OF 5 STARS FOR AN SE.

dancemom1
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,198 Posts

[Post New]by dancemom1 on Jun 22, 14 3:10 PM
Hi all. Well, what can I say about this game...somewhat old school animation, colors and graphics, but not bad. Game play was good, no problems with anything. There were no voice overs in this one and it definitely needed them. I don't mind reading along with a VO, but reading everything was just too much. If you click through the dialogue, you miss a lot of information. What I found very unusual was that it didn't ask if you wanted instructions on game play. You were sort of thrown into the game without any real lead in or instructions. Good thing this is a very simple game.

Inventory bar did not lock into place, so jumped up and down constantly. There is a jump map, but not very helpful. It shows you where you are and where you can do something, but does not give you the name of the location. I found it easier just to run around, and there was a lot of that in this one. Hint system was helpful, but a little slow. Music wasn't too bad, had a sinister feel to it, but got very annoying very quickly. Other than the music, this game is extremely quiet, with very few sound FX. Title insinuates that there are witches and warlocks...nope, only saw a ghost during the demo. Maybe they come along later.

There is time travel, which was interesting, but again, why? The story seems to be a puzzle in itself. HOPs are extremely simple and a bit cluttered. Puzzles were also very simple. There are collectibles, which are totems (16), for what reason I have no idea yet. I managed to collect 4 before the demo ended.

As I said, this is a very simple game, no challenge, and geared more toward the beginner than anyone else. However, sometimes I like simple games. I may have to get this one just to see what happens when you collect all the totems. Have to think on it a bit, so into the puddle for another day.

As always, try it for yourself and see what you think. We all have different tastes in games and you may find this one to be exactly what you are looking for. Thanks for the reviews.

luciusm
Seahorse
Seahorse
32 Posts

[Post New]by luciusm on Jun 25, 14 4:59 PM
This game is very enjoyable. It's a good story. I care about what happens to
the characters, which is important to me in any story.

roaming
Clownfish
Clownfish
644 Posts

[Post New]by roaming on Jun 26, 14 12:15 AM
I have to agree with both twinsoniclab and luciousm on this one. I did get stuck in the bedroom but was able to check the forum and found what I needed to do to go forward.

I thought the HOS were fairly challenging, not because they were grainy or muddled, though -- just me being blind! Also, I found at least one mistranslation. SPOILER: "funnel" turned out to be an oil can.

I like that it's a straightforward HOPA with a decent story and no gimmicks, talking trees, or helpful creatures.

UPON COMPLETING GAME: Simple, somewhat old-fashioned, but very playable. I got it on a 2 for 1 sale. That seemed to be a good price for it!

Edited on 07/10/2014 at 12:59:52 PM PST

woemwoem
Seahorse
Seahorse
34 Posts

[Post New]by woemwoem on Jun 28, 14 7:28 AM
Cannot get skip button to work! Downloaded game again and still not working.
Sorry I purchased game.

Kathilisa
Herring
Herring
366 Posts

[Post New]by Kathilisa on Jun 29, 14 3:01 PM
This game is as described by other posters, and started off feeling a bit old-fashioned, but as I got into the demo I did feel it has a certain charm and character which is missing from many games which just seem to follow a set formula. It is just that little bit different which makes a nice change.

I was thinking of buying it, but since I read about all the technical problems, I will be hanging onto my money for the moment.

[Post New]by bGrlsnyder on Jun 30, 14 11:38 AM
I am really glad I did not pay actual money for this game. It is relatively simple and now I am stuck because the hint button has apparently stopped working. I will not finish playing the game and definitely not worth paying for.

BlackWaterRules
Shark
Shark
10,153 Posts

[Post New]by BlackWaterRules on Jun 30, 14 11:54 AM
The game begins with hauntingly beautiful music that continues throughout, sometimes intensifying. The soundtrack includes full orchestra, piano and violin solos, and operatic background vocals. There are no voiceovers so there is some reading involved, but the writing is clear and large and easy to follow.

The game graphics are well drawn; clear, crisp, and clean. Hidden object scenes are integrated into the story, list type with some interactivity, also very well drawn and well done.(minor distraction - one clue was asking for a "leaflet" when in fact the object was a maple leaf) Mini puzzles are interesting and a lot of fun. Gameplay includes finding objects to complete a task. There's a lot to do in this game.

The storyline is interesting. Wrongfully imprisoned for murder, the player sets out to find enough evidence to exonerate her fiancée. Along the way she encounters the beautiful ghost of a mysterious little blonde haired girl, and a time portal to take her back in tie to find more clues to prove her fiancée's innocence.

To assist gameplay there is a hint button, a map, a notebook to record clues and progress, and a small chest to collect totem pieces.

This is a very well done, fun, and interesting hidden object adventure game. I would have bought it for the soundtrack alone.

[Post New]by doofenschmurtz on Jul 1, 14 6:41 AM
dancemom1 wrote:Hi all. Well, what can I say about this game...somewhat old school animation, colors and graphics, but not bad. Game play was good, no problems with anything. There were no voice overs in this one and it definitely needed them. I don't mind reading along with a VO, but reading everything was just too much. If you click through the dialogue, you miss a lot of information. What I found very unusual was that it didn't ask if you wanted instructions on game play. You were sort of thrown into the game without any real lead in or instructions. Good thing this is a very simple game.

Inventory bar did not lock into place, so jumped up and down constantly. There is a jump map, but not very helpful. It shows you where you are and where you can do something, but does not give you the name of the location. I found it easier just to run around, and there was a lot of that in this one. Hint system was helpful, but a little slow. Music wasn't too bad, had a sinister feel to it, but got very annoying very quickly. Other than the music, this game is extremely quiet, with very few sound FX. Title insinuates that there are witches and warlocks...nope, only saw a ghost during the demo. Maybe they come along later.

There is time travel, which was interesting, but again, why? The story seems to be a puzzle in itself. HOPs are extremely simple and a bit cluttered. Puzzles were also very simple. There are collectibles, which are totems (16), for what reason I have no idea yet. I managed to collect 4 before the demo ended.

As I said, this is a very simple game, no challenge, and geared more toward the beginner than anyone else. However, sometimes I like simple games. I may have to get this one just to see what happens when you collect all the totems. Have to think on it a bit, so into the puddle for another day.

As always, try it for yourself and see what you think. We all have different tastes in games and you may find this one to be exactly what you are looking for. Thanks for the reviews.
Thanks Great Review. Game really needed voiceovers!

sandicats5
Clownfish
Clownfish
573 Posts

[Post New]by sandicats5 on Nov 21, 14 11:34 AM
Game froze in the middle of play can't do anything!

Go to: