Edited on 06/25/2014 at 8:36:25 AM PST

bfgVaiya
Salmon
Salmon
2,557 Posts

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Braveland here

[Post New]by bfgVaiya on Jun 25, 14 8:36 AM
Hello Everyone,

Welcome to the reviews thread! Please feel free to post your thoughts and feedback on Braveland here. We appreciate the time you take to put your reviews together, and I know other gamers and the developers do as well. We just have a few guidelines to keep in mind when posting. Our goal with these is to keep the thread tidy, easy to navigate and helpful.

Review Guidelines

1) Be sure to keep your reviews on-topic. Reviews in this thread should only be commenting on Braveland.
2) Be respectful of the reviewers. Please keep in mind our Forum Rules and be respectful of our reviewers. They take the time to post here to be helpful. Please do not review the reviews of others.
3) Do not respond to someone else’s reviews with questions or comments If you have any feedback about a review, or you feel that a review contains incorrect details about the game, please contact the poster directly via PM.
4) Do not review developers. While we do appreciate your feedback, we’d ask that you keep your posts in this thread dedicated to the specific game at hand.

*Moderators will be removing any content in this thread that is not a review.

If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to PM one of our Moderators.

bfgVaiya

mendolyn
Guppy
Guppy
129 Posts

[Post New]by mendolyn on Jun 25, 14 12:02 PM
copy pasting my review from the game page:
This game is like a toned down version of an old classic computer game which for anyone who has played it will find the obvious connection. I'm not really sure why the reviews I've read so far have been so negative. I think it's a cute and fun strategy game and would like to see more of these offered since I've liked playing this style of game for years. The characters are cute. The dialogue is nice and if you don't want to read it you can click through it quickly. There are 3 difficulty settings. I chose the normal setting just to get a feel for the game but it's still a bit of a challenge to defeat your enemies. The easy setting will likely be good for beginners or children and there is a hard setting also. The music is nice and non-offensive. The colors are cheerful and the graphics are cute. I like the maps but it would be nice to have the option to travel to places faster, my only gripe so far being that you have to watch your character walk from place to place so going back to a store seems tedious but otherwise this game is a nice little gem and I'll probably go ahead and get it after playing the demo. A little more polish and I would have given it 5 stars but overall not a bad way to kill some time. Happy Gaming!

GeorgeTSLC
Manatee
Manatee
3,919 Posts

Re: Please post your REVIEWS for Braveland here

[Post New]by GeorgeTSLC on Jun 25, 14 1:31 PM
Liked it. Didn't find it in the least tedious--but then I enjoy playing Virtual Villagers and Virtual Families!

You're given occasional choices of path, which I think is always nice.

Do wish there were better numbers available for the your and your enemies' units, tho. See also my other post.

Yaelle
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,317 Posts

[Post New]by Yaelle on Jun 26, 14 1:31 AM
I have no idea what on earth is going on. I am SO lost.
I would've liked further explanation as to why the rules are the way they are so I'd know what I can do when. Which I don't.

I'm so anytime a strategy game (a real one, not a you know what pretending to be in another genre when we all know its a you know what game) and this is one of those times. No buy.

[Post New]by bickerlynne on Jun 26, 14 3:44 PM
I quite liked this game after playing the demo. It is kinda hard to figure out what to do with virtually no tutorial, but I think I have finally figure it out. I like that I don't have to hit each dot in between places to go. Especially if you want to go back more than two.

The music is nice and pleasing to the ear. The graphics, while cartoony, are cheerful and clear.

The story, so far is quite interesting. Can't wait to see what happens next.

This is not a rush, rush game and is not bloody or gory, which I like. I like relaxing games that make me think.

Though simple looking, it is not. You still have decisions to make on what to level up and what to buy.

It's a buy for me.

Happy gaming

kitty1
Flounder
Flounder
2,194 Posts

[Post New]by kitty1 on Jun 26, 14 6:22 PM
I have only played the demo, but so far I quite like it. Granted, there is not a lot of direction, but so far have been able to play it on "normal" setting & win all my battles.
You basically travel around the kingdom meeting different people who can either help you or whom you have to battle to move forward. I would love to know how long this game is. I have no idea how far I've gotten. Definitely a strategy game & nice for those of us who get tired of HOG's.

[Post New]by bickerlynne on Jun 26, 14 8:29 PM
Well, I finished it. Granted, I did the easy setting. Will do normal next. I wonder if this is one to be continued.

I would have liked to be able to build my army with everything I wanted in it. Not limited by the number of stars. I really wanted to keep my healers as well as keep the crossbows and the big knights. Not enough stars for that. Ended up using the farmers through the whole game.

Cool strategy game though. Wish BF would put more like this on here.

unclepaul
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
467 Posts

[Post New]by unclepaul on Jun 27, 14 7:18 AM
Have played this in the easy and normal modes.
It reminded me of the Dungeons and Dragomns adventures of old.
Go fight , explore, discover and collect treasure. Know when to fight and when to run.
I found I had better luck with the plain bowmen rather than the cross bowme, mainly because I could have more of them and also becaues of the crazy arrow attack.
I also learned the second time through to start using the bonuses (obtained by clicking the bottom right hand numbered circle).
When you go into battle it is a bit like a chess game. Choosing how to fight and trying to get behind enemy lines so you can neutralise the archers. When you get a unit beside them they have to fight weakly with a knife rather than using the arrows. So you try to get them in a corner so they cannot escape while you keep pummeling them. Only downside was that it was a bit short and need a lot more arenas. It did say end of Chapter 1 so hopefully the designers will get some bigger and better campaigns to run with some renewable sections so you don't run short of gold. ie. defeat some enemies in a forest and collect 500 gold, after about 4 turns the forest contains more enemies again with more gold.

kitty1
Flounder
Flounder
2,194 Posts

[Post New]by kitty1 on Aug 9, 14 10:10 AM
I wish BF would revise the way it categorizes games. I wanted to buy this game this weekend but had a hard time finding it because it is listed under adventure games, but NOT strategy. I definitely think this is a strategy game. I also wish BF would list newer games in a chronological list for 3 months instead of just one as it would be easier to go back & find games

HatesTimers
Guppy
Guppy
118 Posts

[Post New]by HatesTimers on Aug 10, 14 11:27 AM
This is a nice little turn-based RPG. It has one long main road from the start to the final battle, with a number of short side branches. Fights are preset and wait for you to reach them. They have crossed swords over their heads indicating difficulty, with a skull and glowing eyes if very hard.

There are three difficulty settings, and you can change it at any time.

You meet seven people along the road who join you, although you can have at most five in your active squad. You are told each is really a group, but they appear and act as single people in the battle. There are places you can hire more to increase their power, and as they take damage their "number" drops and they grow weaker. The earlier groups can be stacked deeper, so they end up being comparable to the later ones. (The healers seemed a bit weak to me, though.)

In battle, people take turns moving. They can move a certain number of spaces on the hex grid, then they can either move one more, attack, or defend. They can also postpone their movement until later in the turn. Most types have a special that can be used, which then takes several turns to recharge. the first time in a turn that someone is hit with a melee attack, they get to strike back for free.

Your party is fully restored after each battle. If you win, your hero gets experience and gold, but some gold is deducted depending on your "losses". Once beaten, the enemies never respawn. There is no penalty for being defeated or fleeing. If you're defeated you get some experience, and maybe some gold if you did enough damage (less at the hard difficulty setting), and the fight will still be there. You may get a little gold if you flee, but no experience. When your hero levels, it raises the caps on the number you can hire for each group.

Go to: