Lilabelle
Clownfish
Clownfish
516 Posts

Advise to new Players

[Post New]by Lilabelle on Jun 26, 14 2:45 PM
It seems that most of items on the wish lists of my friends on the higher levels are for stamps, pet food, and airship inventory items.
My advise is to not sell any stamps. Do not sell any brown/red stamps at all. Be careful when crafting just for coin. You will need those stamps later in the game for necessary crafting for continued progress and those stamps will be harder to come by. As the game progresses you will need more inventory to pack for airships, which in return will give you needed stamps and food for our pets.
When you need to craft wait for the daily quest to ask for it, that way you get the benefit from both.
Best advise is to just keep making the rounds collecting inventory, coin, stamps, flowers, and food.
Most important of all just have fun, this is a game for the long haul and all will happen, there is no need to rush because hopefully there is no end in sight just continued surprises and new areas of questing.
Happy Gaming to All

Edited on 09/11/2014 at 1:43:10 PM PST

silver_hawk
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,532 Posts

Re:Advise to new Players

[Post New]by silver_hawk on Jun 26, 14 3:59 PM
Very good advice.

I also want to add to that if you're a new player visit the Helpful Links for Midnight Castle sticky about halfway down the main forum page. There are a lot of great links there, especially the Midnight Castle Strategy Guide which includes how to get the Emerald Key that many players have trouble with.

TiramaSue
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,953 Posts

[Post New]by TiramaSue on Jun 26, 14 4:09 PM
I'd like to add:

If you don't have a character quest that requires crafting, but your daily quests wants you to craft, try to craft as many different items as you can.

Don't worry, you WILL use it somewhere. And having some crafted items on hand makes it less likely you will come to a grinding halt and have to do several rounds of HO scenes to continue.

Lilabelle
Clownfish
Clownfish
516 Posts

[Post New]by Lilabelle on Jun 26, 14 4:47 PM
Thank you silver_hawk I forgot to mention the sticky posts.

chingchangcat
Minnow
Minnow
243 Posts

[Post New]by chingchangcat on Jun 26, 14 4:59 PM
The Helpful Links thread has been locked, but wow, do I appreciate the advice! Can anyone help me a a few questions?

How on earth do you get Pet Medallions? I have a few eggs, but cannot craft a new pet because I lack those blasted medallions! Is it a level thing? Just turned 18!

Is it worth it to play the daily game? I have not, since they seem to suck my inventory dry for actual quest items. I bow to the more experienced players on that issue...

I've been dutifully making the HOS rounds...and not crafting anything unless it's part of a quest. Is it better to craft whenever you have items available, or hold onto inventory until needed for a quest craft?

Thanks so much for your help!

[Post New]by whitebutterfly54 on Jun 26, 14 5:14 PM
chingchangcat,

First, you get pet medallions by completing tasks in the daily quests.

Is it worth it to play the daily quests? Everyone you ask will probably give you a different answer but here's mine. IF playing them doesn't drain your coins and/or inventory, and you want the pet medallions to craft a pet, then play them. Remember, you get medallions even you complete just one task, so you don't have to complete the entire 3, 5 or 10-part quest if it becomes a burden.

Suggestion: Click on the locked Helpful Links for Midnight Castle on the first page, scroll down to Tips, Tricks and Guides, click on ***Midnight Castle Strategy Guide*****, scroll down to 3-Part, 5-Part and 10-Part Daily Quests. Copy that list on wordpad or notepad and keep it handy while playing the HO scenes. This list will help you fit a daily quest into your regular HO cycle.

Hope this helps.

TiramaSue
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,953 Posts

[Post New]by TiramaSue on Jun 26, 14 5:19 PM
chingchangcat wrote:The Helpful Links thread has been locked, but wow, do I appreciate the advice! Can anyone help me a a few questions?

How on earth do you get Pet Medallions? I have a few eggs, but cannot craft a new pet because I lack those blasted medallions! Is it a level thing? Just turned 18!

Is it worth it to play the daily game? I have not, since they seem to suck my inventory dry for actual quest items. I bow to the more experienced players on that issue...

I've been dutifully making the HOS rounds...and not crafting anything unless it's part of a quest. Is it better to craft whenever you have items available, or hold onto inventory until needed for a quest craft?

Thanks so much for your help!

You get pet medallions from the daily quests. So if you want the pets...

I always do the Daily Quests if I have the inventory.

If I use my last Pole Star and my next regular quest wants a Pole Star, that doesn't bother me because the find path for regular quests guarantees that I will get a Pole Star.

Yes, if the HO scene isn't active yet I will have to wait an hour. I will have to play that HO scene an "extra" time before I can finish the quest. But I play all the HO scenes whenever I play so I'm not doing anything I wasn't going to do anyway.

If you use the Strategy Guide you can coordinate your regular quests with the Daily Quest (holding back on crafting for the regular quest until the DQ tells you to craft, you can craft once and get credit twice. I like that. Others disagree.

moxiemoll
Minnow
Minnow
255 Posts

[Post New]by moxiemoll on Jun 26, 14 7:28 PM
Yes, great advice since I'm stuck going 'round and 'round trying to get brown stamps to craft an item.... I can't believe it takes 5 and I"ve played for 2 days and still only have 1... and that was gifted by a friend.

silver_hawk
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,532 Posts

[Post New]by silver_hawk on Jun 26, 14 7:31 PM
chingchangcat wrote:The Helpful Links thread has been locked, but wow, do I appreciate the advice! Can anyone help me a a few questions?

It's only locked so that you can't post anything in that thread. You can still click on it and read all the information in there.

chingchangcat
Minnow
Minnow
243 Posts

[Post New]by chingchangcat on Jun 27, 14 2:49 PM
Thank you, all of you, for the great tips! You have helped me so much to develop some sort of strategy...which was sadly lacking in my game play.

Lilabelle
Clownfish
Clownfish
516 Posts

[Post New]by Lilabelle on Sep 11, 14 1:40 PM
I've noticed that there are quite a number of new players joining the forum and looking for help and advice. thought I would bump this up. Anyone with anything new to add please do, since there have been a few updates some of the strategies can use some updating.

kdreetz
Herring
Herring
333 Posts

[Post New]by kdreetz on Sep 11, 14 1:46 PM
DON'T sell you brown stamps! Early on in the game I sold a ton of brown stamps to hatch a pet. Wish I had those stamps back!

Dawnyl
Guppy
Guppy
111 Posts

[Post New]by Dawnyl on Sep 11, 14 2:15 PM
One thing I have learned to do is use that awesome strategy guide. If I am storing up inventory amd coins and pausing on leveling up, I always try to do the daily quests. When a dq asks me to craft, I refer to the strategy guide (thanks again everyone) to see what crafted items I will need in the near future amd I try to craft those. It kills two birds with one stone and spreads out the cost. Plus I breeze through the character quests much faster. I don't mind getting through the levels slowly. I have been playing for three and a half months and am only on level 28. Its much more enjoyable for me personally, to pause between levels and build up inventory and perhaps work on crafting a pet. Then I go back to the quest. I love that there are so many ways to approach it.

Go to: