Edited on 06/28/2014 at 9:16:22 AM PST

Tufty57
Minnow
Minnow
229 Posts

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Fright Collector's Edition here

[Post New]by Tufty57 on Jun 28, 14 2:07 AM
Realistically scary!

Wow, what a change from recent offerings! No fairy tales or cute animals here, just a creepy story that you really feel you are a part of!

OK, it wasn't perfect:
* Cut scenes were dreadfully slow
* Interaction with characters (real people which made it even creepier) were dreadfully slow, sometimes badly synched and sometimes no sound at all after the first lines.
* Set in an (apparently) abandoned hotel so everything was dirty. Kept wanting to go and wash my hands!
* Some of the story threads are a bit clunky and contrived

However, once the story gets going, you are drawn into this mystery and the ways of giving you the background information are quite unique.

HOSs (I only found 2 in the demo) are totally interactive and really quite challenging

Puzzles are tricky at times. One coming up (I haven't found the missing pieces yet) involves identifying Western US States. What? How is a Brit supposed to do that?

4 modes available including custom

A map, though not jumpable.

CE extras are:
* Music/Picture/Art work/bonus chapter
* Dollar bills to collect and spend in a gift shop

This, for me is a buy as an SE.

But I highly recommend you try it! (WITH THE LIGHTS ON!)

jaylake
Guppy
Guppy
121 Posts

[Post New]by jaylake on Jun 28, 14 2:13 AM
I guess that is why there is choice as for me the game was fairly average. I cannot say it is a bad game and worth a try but not worthy of the CE price tag and for me not the most enjoyable game I have played. Was only able to play the demo so maybe now it downloading in full I may have a change of heart

frazerpaul
Guppy
Guppy
147 Posts

map

[Post New]by frazerpaul on Jun 28, 14 2:25 AM
Yes the map is jumpable

JulieJay
Catfish
Catfish
1,555 Posts

[Post New]by JulieJay on Jun 28, 14 2:26 AM
Hidden Object Puzzle Adventure.

Gameplay was not as smooth as I like but not bad.

Graphics okay.

Puzzles - a bit easy in the demo - hopefully get more interesting

HO scenes - (in the demo) find by word list, lots of interactivity

Map - yes, transportable and shows active areas.

Diary - yes.

Any hidden extras i.e. - yes there are collectibles

Voiceovers - yes, very well done for the most part.

Inventory - locks.

My verdict - didn't blow me away but will buy.

gamblebug
Herring
Herring
341 Posts

[Post New]by gamblebug on Jun 28, 14 6:34 AM
Well for me this game isn't worth being a CE.Don't even think I would buy as a SE.I wasn't the least be frighten and at times I laughed.The acting is something else.I will hold off and see what we have coming up for the 4th of July.Others who like the game enjoy.

Akaabbey
Guppy
Guppy
194 Posts

[Post New]by Akaabbey on Jun 28, 14 7:04 AM
Tufty57 wrote:Realistically scary!

However, once the story gets going, you are drawn into this mystery and the ways of giving you the background information are quite unique.

After being knocked out 3x and now drawn into the mystery I will have to buy!!

Abbey

nelliegemini
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,898 Posts

[Post New]by nelliegemini on Jun 28, 14 7:05 AM
Tufty57 wrote:Realistically scary!

(snipped ..)

Puzzles are tricky at times. One coming up (I haven't found the missing pieces yet) involves identifying Western US States. What? How is a Brit supposed to do that?

I coped, Tufty - some of the states were quite obvious - the shape of Texas, where Hollywood is etc, and some came by accident - putting the 'swaps' down in the right place!

This is the first CE I've bought in an age - I'm really enjoying it!

calsmom2001
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,785 Posts

[Post New]by calsmom2001 on Jun 28, 14 8:02 AM
Note: This is based on about half of the 90 (!) minute demo.
I haven't posted many reviews here in the last 10 months, but I think this game is a winner. Granted, there are some problems - some of the worst syncing between action and voice overs I've ever seen would be one, and no achievements in a CE is another, at least for me, but I don't care. The story has caught me, and I'll be buying this game. I LOVE the retro feel of everything; it's supposedly set in the 1960's but it could easily be the 50's. The puzzles, while not difficult so far, have been different and well-designed. I honestly can't say whether I had black bars or not, as this has never been a big deal for me, and I was too interested in what was going on to notice. For me the graphics were very good, not grainy as some have had - luck of the graphics card I guess. And while the lips and voice don't sync up, the voice acting isn't bad (I think the bus driver was a bit over the top, but otherwise, pretty good for a game.)

From the "Children of the Corn"-type opening, to the whole "Bates Motel" feel of the main location, this is a game that I think is well worth playing. And I'll echo some others here and say "YAY" for a game that's genuinely scary - all in the bright light of day (at least so far).

bfgWendwater
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,911 Posts

[Post New]by bfgWendwater on Jun 28, 14 9:17 AM
Hello Everyone,

Welcome to the reviews thread! Please feel free to post your thoughts and feedback on Fright Collector's Edition here. We appreciate the time you take to put your reviews together, and I know other gamers and the developers do as well. We just have a few guidelines to keep in mind when posting. Our goal with these is to keep the thread tidy, easy to navigate and helpful.

Review Guidelines

1) Be sure to keep your reviews on-topic. Reviews in this thread should only be commenting on Fright Collector's Edition.
2) Be respectful of the reviewers. Please keep in mind our Forum Rules and be respectful of our reviewers. They take the time to post here to be helpful. Please do not review the reviews of others.
3) Do not respond to someone else’s reviews with questions or comments If you have any feedback about a review, or you feel that a review contains incorrect details about the game, please contact the poster directly via PM.
4) Do not review developers. While we do appreciate your feedback, we’d ask that you keep your posts in this thread dedicated to the specific game at hand.

*Moderators will be removing any content in this thread that is not a review.

If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to PM one of our Moderators.

bfgWendwater

debraljensen
Squid
Squid
75 Posts

[Post New]by debraljensen on Jun 28, 14 9:44 AM
I love the game and it would be a 10 except the hints take to long. I dont get why I have to wait for a time period. if I need a hit give it already.

steve_san
Clownfish
Clownfish
586 Posts

[Post New]by steve_san on Jun 28, 14 11:03 AM

Fright Makes Right

Bus crashes near old, abandoned motel in cornfield country. Missing people. Strange black cloud. Unexplainable events. In short, nothing new but there is still potential.

As you might have guessed this is a dark, scary story, but to the developer's credit, it begins in broad daylight. Nevertheless, they still manage to capture the creepiness by using a slightly grainy drawing motif, which fits with the story that began about ten years earlier than the "present day" (early 1960's).

There is a technical issue with the voices which come and go (see tech issues forum). Despite that, the dialog is slow enough to easily read, and maybe even too slow sometimes. These are live actors, and their lips synch almost perfectly with the voices. The actors fit nicely into the scenes as well, with no obvious bright edges or looking like they were added later.

Game play is fairly standard, except there is less emphasis on hidden object scenes and a greater emphasis on puzzles. Even the hidden object scenes are structured like a puzzle, where you use objects you found to find others. The puzzles draw you in - at times literally.

There are 34 collectible dollar bills which you can use to purchase items, and there is a camera, Polaroid-style of course, which takes pictures in the background (listen for the shutter) and saves them to your journal. There is also a map which this reviewer did not need to use during the demo.

The game has enough atmosphere, creepiness, and playability to make up for the lack of an original storyline. Fright is a decent scare, but I still would wait for the SE as I don't see enough here to make me jump THAT high.

Edited on 06/28/2014 at 11:10:38 AM PST

dancemom1
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,198 Posts

[Post New]by dancemom1 on Jun 28, 14 11:12 AM
Hi all. Wow, this one started out quite well with the opening scene setting me on the edge of my seat. However, it didn't take long for me to move back into my chair. I'm not going to review the actual story, as others have already done that. I simply review the game play (for the most part). Graphics were a little old school, with muted colors, which were mostly browns and golds. Game play wasn't too bad. I found no glitches, but the game was a bit sluggish. I found that I had to click multiple times to pick things up or move to another location. Speaking of that, there is a jump map, but you have to make sure your cursor is in the middle of the area so it lights up a little, then click on it, or you won't move. Took me a couple of times to figure that one out.

Voice overs weren't bad, but mouths just sort of moved on their own with most of the characters. This is the main reason why I don't care for "real" people in games. It's like watching a dubbed movie. I much prefer animation, even if the mouth doesn't move.

SG wasn't anything special, same stuff, same instructions, but it does automatically turn to the next page when you have completed everything on the current page. Hint system filled fairly quickly and was very helpful. Between that and the jump map, I didn't really need the SG. There is a camera that automatically takes useful pictures and puts them in your journal for you to refer to as needed. HOPs were quite interactive and different. Items were not difficult to find, but you had to work for them. Puzzles were not difficult either, but a couple took some time complete. The only collectibles I saw are dollar bills that you can use to purchase items from the gift store, which I haven't seen yet. Very easy to spot.

Over all, this was not a bad game. I do not feel that it is CE worthy. As I said before, it started out great, but went down hill from there as far as the story was concerned...no fright here, a shadow, an ugly face. I did not find the need to purchase this game to see what happens. However, I have changed my mind when the SE comes out and I have the chance to replay, but then I buy the SE. This would be an okay game for a beginner or someone who just wants to skate by a day, but not for me today.

As always, try it for yourself and see what you think. We all have different tastes in games and you may find this one to be exactly what you are looking for. Thanks for the reviews.

sunnyglow
Clownfish
Clownfish
804 Posts

[Post New]by sunnyglow on Jun 28, 14 1:50 PM
Get ready for a mild fright fest with a game reminiscent of a combination of "Children of Corn " and "Psycho." The icy fingers of Fear reach out for you from an abandoned "Bates-like" hotel in the heart of Kansas. Like Jekyll and Hyde, (engineer by day and writer by night), I am fiendishly happy that BF has given us a game in my favorite genre - horror (lite). My definition of "scary" is based on whether you wish to sleep "in bed with the blankets over you to protect you from nightmares" or "under the bed to escape sheer terror." This is definitely the former as it is more "Hitchcock-ish" than "Saw-ish."

In a time warp, you travel in a dilapidated bus reminiscent of the 1950's through the cornfields of Kansas. As your bus crashes into a ravine, you soon realize that "you are not in Kansas anymore." You ramble through the desolate countryside and explore a hotel which appears to have been abandoned suddenly in the 1950's. As you enter the strange world of this hotel, you see a girl in a window - the same girl whose picture you saw on a missing person poster from 1955. Is she a ghost? She is leaving you messages to find her. The owner of the hotel is very unfriendly and wants you to leave! What caused the sudden disappearance of the guests and this creepy girl? Hopefully, Norman Bates is not living here!

This will be a definite purchase for me. There are three levels and a customized version. The graphics are fantastic with great video sequences, although at times the voices do not match the mouthing sequence. This is puzzle-laden game and the puzzles are very well done. The HOP scenes are puzzle-like as well. Thank you BF for listening to those of us who enjoy this type of game. You receive the map as you play the game and (MEA CULPA - CORRECTED) you CAN transport from scene to scene using the map. As the saying goes "LESS(ta) IS MORE." This dev give us more from this game than many others we have on this site! This dev has produced a cleverly designed, slightly fiendishly wicked puzzle game with a terror-lite thrown in! I RATE THIS GAME 6 STARS OUT OF 5 STARS FOR A CE! The extra star is for star(k) raving horror!

Edited on 06/28/2014 at 3:26:59 PM PST

kdubs
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,480 Posts

[Post New]by kdubs on Jun 28, 14 3:17 PM
Fright is a buy for me. That's somewhat surprising because I'm known for avoiding games which feature live actors doing too much talking -- simply because of the expertise required to sync actors lips with the actual voices in the game.

Although I encountered no technical glitches that stopped play, and the voices were largely consistent with dialogue displayed, I did notice the voices sometimes cut out if I reclicked on the actor to see if he/she had anything else to add. When I relicked and the actor had nothing left to say, sound ceased while the lips repeated the words on the screen.

Liked the atmosphere. Tasks and inventory usage seemed logical enough (it is still just a game). The motel gave me the creeps. If they're looking for 5-star reviews on their website, they may want to upgrade their staff -- starting with some new housekeepers and that desk clerk! Click on him a second time, he loses his voice, and what little bit of self-control he might have had left.

I had fun with the demo so I'm going to get this next weekend during what I hope is an even better 4th of July sale.

[Post New]by hookedonHOG on Jun 28, 14 3:52 PM
I am used to some of the better collectors Editions you have been having this one was a little boring for me luckily it was half off today
didn't like the story not real sure when I finished if I ever understood what was going on, but I did finish

[Post New]by nontechiegrannie on Jun 28, 14 4:44 PM
Finally a game that does not depend on fairy tales, dragons, witches, evil spirits & portals to other worlds.

Graphics seemed a little more realistic & I always enjoy live actors vs the wooden cartoonish flat one dimension characters. I didn't even mind, too much, the dubbed over voiceovers.

Though I'm not much of a fan of demons it looks like the story could get interesting.

You collect dollar bills to buy things in the store. They only things that I found in the store were postcards & a couple of games to play.

The HOS are quite interactive & the puzzles, though simple, are entertaining & fun too do.

All in all, not a bad game & it is certainly an upgrade from some of the stuff the stuff that BF has been passing off as good gaming!!!

shripch
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,952 Posts

[Post New]by shripch on Jun 28, 14 5:01 PM
Oh yes! Children of the Corn, here I come! Just a short demo time and I was hooked. Good spooky stuff. Just right HOS, puzzles that are fun,and the setting! And a sale! I'm a happy camper. Bought the Haunted Hotel, Ancient Bane on the same sale, so I'm set for our coming road trip through small town America. Just right for those strange motels!

tesamoine
Herring
Herring
387 Posts

[Post New]by tesamoine on Jun 28, 14 8:32 PM
I played the beta of this and have been waiting anxiously for the release of this game. I loved the live actors and the creepy atmosphere. The colors and graphics were perfect for the setting of the game. Sadly I ran into a glitch with the bus driver early on, so I could not go further. I did not run into this when I played the beta. I would have immediately purchased to game, but now will wait (hopefully) for a fix.

[Post New]by JustTheFacts on Jun 29, 14 3:15 AM
Very “Children Of The Corn”*****

BASED ON DEMO

FIRST IMPRESSIONS
This one is very good. A classic in the making, it is different and it is scary. Not in the flash ways some games are, but in a down to earth, dead in the dust kind of way. From the introductory cut scenes, which at first seem a bit rough, the game has a style all its own. Well, among games. There is at least one movie like it – the creepiest movie I’ve ever seen!

SIGHTS & SOUNDS
The opening scenes are indeed very reminiscent of “Children Of The Corn”, an intense horror/thriller, that forever transformed innocent corn fields into places of ritual terror – at least for me. This game could be located in the same town! It is so eerie, broad daylight, with the sun baking down on the fields, yet it feels so lonely and dangerous. The graphics are brutally accurate, but with such style, I even find myself admiring the rust.

The actors are well integrated into scenes, and all speak well, but the lip sync is much better for some than others. The old lady is particularly difficult to watch. Eerie sounds compound the general tension and anxious anticipation. It seems, in every minute, that something bad is coming. The music is a little too repetitive, but fits the mood perfectly. Special effects add shock value.

Though I enjoyed them, the many cut scenes cannot be entirely skipped, which I know will bother some people.

WHAT’S HAPPENING?
We open with a view of being trapped in a corn field, desperately trying to escape, and finding new horrors at every turn. Then we are startled awake to find ourselves on a bus which is in fact passing through corn fields. Which start showing eerie déjà vu images of your nightmare. Then, oh no! The bus driver loses control, and we crash, finding ourselves stranded, and the bus driver badly injured, in a ditch, a couple of miles from a motel.

We traipse off to find help for the bus driver, and come to a very sinister looking motel with a very unhelpful owner. We see another vehicle driven off the road. We rescue the passengers, and there’s another car whose driver needs help! This deserted town and its motel are in for a drastic increase in the population! But what are we all doing here? And who is the girl on the roof? And in the mirror?

GAMEPLAY
I like the quirky gameplay. The HOPs are progressive word lists, where you are given several actions to complete as well as items to find. It is a ‘find and use’ system. There are 2 HOPs in the demo, and entry into them is very different from the norm. In the first, a photograph draws us into the scene it depicts, and in the second, we are drawn into a ghostly TV. I like that these HOPs are also telling us the back story, giving them a relevance to even those who prefer the puzzles.

We collect photo shots of these scenes as part of our album, and once completed, become replayable HOPs in the extras section. Mini-games too. The photo album, records the story just like a journal, though it does so with snapshots and photos of the HOPs which act as visual reminders of the story as it progresses. Even the interactive jump map has a pile of photos that are shuffled through to the relevant one for teleporting.

There are not a lot of puzzles, and I must admit I skipped some of those, but they weren’t excessively hard, just a bit tougher than my patience allowed today. A lot of the game is pursuing single goals with dedication, like getting help for the bus driver, and making up a healing potion. There are 3 levels of difficulty, plus a custom mode. Hint is directional.

CE BLING!
CE extras in this game are so well presented, I am buying the CE on that reason alone (not that it isn’t CE-worthy anyway). They are all accessed via the motel Gift Shop. Inside, we find other mini-games to play, including a jigsaw, and dress-up the scarecrow, and one I’m not sure of. You need to have money to play these games, so you must gather the 34 collectible $1 bills. The usual gallery items, wallpapers, concept art, music are accessed through a door at the back of the store, and again, are presented in a unique way. I loved it! The Strategy Guide is in the journal/photo album, and is perhaps the best I’ve seen.

COMBINED IMPACT
This game, for me, is easily as creepy as True Fear or Shiver games, perhaps only because it reminds me of one of the few movies ever to totally freak me out. Perhaps the production values are not quite of the same calibre as these other excellent games, but then, it’s not all about the flash, especially in the case of the dark and eerie games. This one is professional, original and startling at times. Works for me!

I recommend this game!

Go to: