A thread for your reviews!

Edited on 07/02/2014 at 7:35:38 AM PST

Tufty57
Minnow
Minnow
229 Posts

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Chronicle Keepers: The Dreaming Garden here

[Post New]by Tufty57 on Jul 2, 14 2:18 AM
A paradox: same old story, different game play.

3.5 stars

Based on demo only - 72 minutes play - Windows 7

Well, I nearly gave up on this in the very first scene. Having read the blurb, I zoomed in on the shop window, could see the book that had been mentioned, but could do nothing. Tried the hint...yes...the book is what I want but still no response when I click on it. With recent history of "Chronicle" games, I feared the worst, exited, began again with my own profile and (against my usual habit) accepted the tutorial.

All then became clear! It is simply a different approach and this habitual HOPA player was just being lazy about checking everything out. If you don't want to be bogged down by the tutorial, all I will say is "Use your medallion fragment and look for any extra actions over and above the usual. For example, it may take more than a key to open a door."

As stated in the title, this is a familiar storyline. Mum killed, you have her medallion fragment and, drawn into a book to another world, you set about restoring the fragment and finding the elixir of life.

Visual quality is attractive, though at times, in the opening scenes, a little dark. Sounds are rather odd, more ambient and atmospheric than musical.

Once I 'clued into' the gameplay, it was fairly straightforward.
HOSs are word lists with interaction needed for some objects and an extra element for green objects. (You will need to work that one out for yourself!)
Puzzles are easy enough, but different to the usual so some challenge for the little grey cells.
Three difficulty levels with no sparkles promised on Hard. I always play the demo on Casual, then restart under a new profile and often a new difficulty level if and when I buy.
You receive a map which is jumpable, but does not show active areas, simply where you are.

There are 200 pieces of your magic book to locate which builds to provide the background to the story. Not hard to find once you learn the trick.

All in all, this is a simple game, ideal for a beginner or a relaxing gaming session. It has enough about it to engage, but is not ground-breaking.

I think it is worth a play of the demo and, being an SE, is well worth a coupon! Do check out the tech thread as some players are having difficulty in certain operating systems and certainly try before you buy.

Enjoy!

DragonLadyOz
Shark
Shark
12,214 Posts

[Post New]by DragonLadyOz on Jul 2, 14 2:37 AM
LOL Tufty,
Maybe "we" should actually do the tutorial sometimes.

[Post New]by JustTheFacts on Jul 2, 14 2:57 AM
Outstanding SE****

BASED ON DEMO

FIRST IMPRESSIONS
I played the beta for this game, and I was less than happy with the graphics. But clearly, feedback on this one had an impact and the graphics are much improved. Maybe not CE standard, but the characters and the close ups and HOP scenes are very nicely done. Particularly the leprechaun. I love the sounds in this game, from the voiceovers, which are clear and appropriate, if not perfect, to the music, to the atmospherics. And the surprising use of carefully placed voices.

WHAT’S HAPPENING?
Your magic medallion, left to you by your mysteriously disappeared mother (yeah, yeah, I know, grammar, but it says what I want to convey) suddenly starts glowing and pointing out otherwise invisible things, like the crest on a book in a store window. Clearly you must have it. Maybe it is related to the disappearance of your mother. Opening the book, you are captured by it and drawn into its world, somewhere totally alien and mysterious. With lots of scary stuff, and loads of magic. LOVE some of the scaries.

GAMEPLAY
HOPs are a little different. As well as the standard word list, with its items that are hidden highlighted in yellow, there are also objects that are only visible with the help of your medallion. Your medallion makes many other important things visible in locations as well. There are runic symbols and pieces of pictures to collect to find out the story. And sometimes items needed for puzzles etc will also be hidden magically. Also, magical creatures that give you coins. The medallion doesn’t glow when you need it, so keep it close.

Other notes: there is a directional hint , a journal, a map, 3 difficulty levels. The words in the HOP lists change from white to grey when found. This is not invisible enough and very annoying. Interesting trick with a cut scene within a close up window, while outside location waited it to finish before changing. It worked well. I don’t know if that would be cheaper or less arduous to do, but it seems like a good way to handle low definition graphics, avoiding those awful cut scenes we all grind our teeth over.

All up, not many puzzles or HOPs. All of them doable. The adventure is a little quirky, and I used the hint a little to get around. Even in the easiest level, I found the hint slow to refill.

COMBINED IMPACT
I liked this game. In the survey I said, based on the beta it would never be very high on my wish list. But the medallion is a fun inclusion, and with substantially improved graphics, I now think it will DEFINITELY be on my wish list, high enough to grab it with a punch card credit today. It is an outstanding Stand Alone SE.

I recommend this game!

sixmilecoss
Guppy
Guppy
134 Posts

[Post New]by sixmilecoss on Jul 2, 14 6:14 AM
I don't know. I got in about 5 minutes. I made it to the third room and it directed me back to the window and I used the medallion on the book. But when I clicked around it would not let me do anything. The hint button directed me to another book, but I couldn't do anything. I clicked around the book, but nothing happened.

sixmilecoss
Guppy
Guppy
134 Posts

[Post New]by sixmilecoss on Jul 2, 14 6:34 AM
Sorry, I gave it another 15 minutes. Don't like. Too hard to figure out what to do. Map is crap. When I have to use hint button just to figure out what to do next, It's just not worth it for me. I have a bird and a keyhole and nothing to go with either.

bfgVaiya
Salmon
Salmon
2,557 Posts

[Post New]by bfgVaiya on Jul 2, 14 7:35 AM
Hello Everyone,

Welcome to the reviews thread! Please feel free to post your thoughts and feedback on Chronicle Keepers: The Dreaming Garden here. We appreciate the time you take to put your reviews together, and I know other gamers and the developers do as well. We just have a few guidelines to keep in mind when posting. Our goal with these is to keep the thread tidy, easy to navigate and helpful.

Review Guidelines

1) Be sure to keep your reviews on-topic. Reviews in this thread should only be commenting on Chronicle Keepers: The Dreaming Garden.
2) Be respectful of the reviewers. Please keep in mind our Forum Rules and be respectful of our reviewers. They take the time to post here to be helpful. Please do not review the reviews of others.
3) Do not respond to someone else’s reviews with questions or comments If you have any feedback about a review, or you feel that a review contains incorrect details about the game, please contact the poster directly via PM.
4) Do not review developers. While we do appreciate your feedback, we’d ask that you keep your posts in this thread dedicated to the specific game at hand.

*Moderators will be removing any content in this thread that is not a review.

If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to PM one of our Moderators.

bfgVaiya

jonah11
Minnow
Minnow
211 Posts

[Post New]by jonah11 on Jul 2, 14 10:29 AM
After about 15 minutes I stopped playing. I think it is waste of time even with the sale. However as always try for yourselves.

CiChDa
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,972 Posts

[Post New]by CiChDa on Jul 2, 14 10:42 AM
Great little game to use a CC on.

I ran on windows 8.1 and had no problems.

Once you get the idea on how to use the medallion, the game play is self explanatory. I didn't venture too far with a lot of items in my inventory that way I didn't need to use the map, as is doesn't highlight areas with task to do. Like I said, it is pretty easy to follow as long as you pay attention to where you are and what you need to accomplish.

I thought the adventure was great! Nice little story and it was NOT over abundant with HO's or puzzles. Good blend of it all. I would give this game a 4 if not a 4 1/2 star for it being such a great stand alone SE. Game is not too short or too long in gaming time. I played casual, and it took me 3 1/2 hours tops. Nothing to complain about as far as I can see.

Thanks to BF and the Dev's for the nice little treat today.

forneymary
Guppy
Guppy
100 Posts

[Post New]by forneymary on Jul 2, 14 12:46 PM
tedious, tedious and more tedious. having to drag the amulet acrossed every new sceen over and over was boring. i havent givin the demo the delete just yet but most likely i will. i want to at least get inside the gate but if i have to continue to stop and drag the medallion another half a dozen times just to get that far it will not hold my interest.

Penny1942
Clownfish
Clownfish
554 Posts

[Post New]by Penny1942 on Jul 2, 14 1:39 PM
Well, I'm going to swim upstream, I liked the game for a SE. Entertaining to see where we were going next with this little story and a leprechaun that I wasn't sure if he was on my side or not. Graphics were grainy and not exactly what I really like on big screen but for a SE that's OK. I know this game came out as a CE elsewhere and am glad that BF didn't offer it as such. I just didn't see it as worthy of being called a CE unless there was a lot more to the story that we didn't see. But, that being said I still wouldn't have purchased as a CE due to the quality of graphics.

sunnyglow
Clownfish
Clownfish
804 Posts

[Post New]by sunnyglow on Jul 2, 14 2:28 PM
We return to "Erin" in another magical journey full of leprechauns, banshees, rainbows, medallions, and where magic abounds. The "luck of the Irish" is with BF this time - I did not encounter any technical difficulties in playing the demo. After last week's CE game fiasco, we have an SE much better than either of last week's CE offerings. Actually, with the wrinkling of a leprechaun's nose, this SE could have been a CE.

You are Kinnat, the daughter of the Chronicle Keeper, Brianna, who watched as her mother was seemingly killed in front of her by a shadowy figure. You inherit from her a shattered medallion, whose pieces are scattered. Through its magical lens you perceive the world in a magical, altered state. Years later, passing by an antique book store window, you see a book with the image of the medallion your mother gave you. While looking through the book you are transported into the book to another kingdom. A jovial leprechaun greets you and informs you your mother is still alive, in a statue-like state. You can only restore her to life by assembling all the pieces of the medallion and finding an elixir of life.

This adventure game is a little gem from the Emerald Isle. The graphics are not spectacular but decent. The medallion (which you left click to activate) provides you with an altered appearance of the scenes from which you must collect various items such as gems and magical symbols. The HOP scenes magically appear and are somewhat interactive. There is a map which transports you from scene-to-scene. You collect the leprechaun's gold coins throughout the game. The puzzles are unique and fitted to the HOP scenes. The storyline is well scripted and the game moves at a nice pace. Some will not like this game as the puzzles are on the easier side. However, the adventure aspect of the game storyline keeps it flowing and interesting. This is a nice job from a new dev. Hopefully we will see more games from this dev. You get a full 90 minutes for the demo, which is not usual for the SE games. I RATE THIS GAME 6 STARS OUT OF 5 STARS FOR AN SE. The extra star is for the pot o' gold our BF leprechauns have given us for a Wednesday game offering.

JulieJay
Catfish
Catfish
1,555 Posts

[Post New]by JulieJay on Jul 2, 14 3:07 PM
Hidden Object Puzzle Adventure.

Gameplay was very smooth.

Graphics were bright and colourful without being overpowering.

Puzzles - a bit easy in the demo and based on those, I would be surprised if they got any more challenging

HO scenes - (in the demo) find by word list and includes combining items and also one or two which can only be found using your medallion

Map - yes. It is transportable. It shows you where you are but doesn't show you where there is anything to immediately do. That is probably my main grievance with this game. However, I found that if I didn't go too far ahead of myself I didn't get too lost.

Diary - yes which includes notes, objectives and "magic".

Any hidden extras i.e. collectables/achievements/morphs - no achievements or morphs but yes there are collectibles although not in the format we are used to... you right click your mouse to activate the medallion (or single left click on the medallion itself - bottom right) and move it over the scenes to find hidden pages for your "magic" diary, ghost form animals which give you coins (which form part of building up your medallion) and also inventory items for you to use i.e. statue parts etc.

Voiceovers - yes, very well done.

Inventory - locks.

My verdict - it's different and this I like - it's a buy for me. You get what you pay for. This is a standalone SE game. It would not have been worth CE price in my opinion. Some devs would have just added screenshots of their scenes, recordings of the music used, repeated HO and puzzles thereby doubling the fee and calling it a CE. I've never heard of these devs - anyone know of any other games by them?

mamajay
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,222 Posts

[Post New]by mamajay on Jul 2, 14 3:45 PM
Well, I rather enjoyed this game. I find I am avoiding most of the doom and gloom games lately - unless it really is an outstanding game and not just another filthy building etc, etc

I found the graphics generally nice and bright, the music is fitting (imho ), the voiceovers are very well done, and the gameplay, once figured out, not too hard (I confess, I did read some comments about the amulet first, so was forewarned, lol).

This 'same old, same old' story has been given some new twists, which I found a nice change, and the hidden object scenes are not too difficult for my somewhat tired eyes. I also want to see where the story takes us.

Some have complained about the lag in changing scenes. Yes, it is a wee bit slow, but I recently played a game which seemed to take a couple of minutes to change scenes! This one, I can take a couple of moments to relax my eyes away from the screen, then be ready to start again

I will definitely buy this game, but as always, try it for yourself - you just might like it

@ Julie Jay

I just googled the game name, and the Devs (PlayWay) are Polish. The founder of PlayWay is Krysztof Kostowski, who has been in the biz since 1991! One of the games he has helped produce (if that's the right word?) is National Geographic Adventure: Titanic's Keys To The Past. Hope that helps

Jen

[Post New]by nontechiegrannie on Jul 2, 14 7:14 PM
Oh my, this game is DREADFUL. Same old find lost mother storyline with amulets, symbols & getting drawn into a netherworld book.

Graphics: Ugly, cartoonish, flat, one dimensional with muddled colorization.

VO are ok but the background music/sound is nothing to write home about!

I found using the amulet annoying. Could no longer stand the agony & quit the game before I found any HOS.

[Post New]by timtim135 on Jul 2, 14 7:18 PM
sixmilecoss wrote:Sorry, I gave it another 15 minutes. Don't like. Too hard to figure out what to do. Map is crap. When I have to use hint button just to figure out what to do next, It's just not worth it for me. I have a bird and a keyhole and nothing to go with either.

Could not agree with you more about the map, although cool looking, no such legend! doesn't tell you were your activity is if you are done or anything! I like this game a lot but the map problem I just can't get passed!!

dancemom1
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,198 Posts

[Post New]by dancemom1 on Jul 2, 14 7:25 PM
Hi all. An SE for a change, how nice. The graphics seemed a bit old school, but were well done and clear. Game play was good, no problems. There were very few voice overs and sound FX, but what we had was pretty good as well. Music got a bit annoying after a while. There is a lot of back tracking in this one, so grab the tennis shoes and get ready. There is a jump map, but it is not identified by anything other than a name, so you need to remember each place you visited, or you will be jumping all over the place.

HOPs were interactive and fairly simple, very clear, no junk piles here. I play in easiest setting for a demo, and found that some of the "sparkles" for the HOPs were very small and easily missed. Puzzles were not difficult, but a couple took some time to complete. Nothing new. The hint system is quite helpful and fills pretty quickly.

This was not a bad game for an SE and probably worth a credit. It was not very challenging, and is geared more toward the beginner, but being an "old gamer," I found the story a little intriguing. No "edge of your seat, what's going to happen next" stuff, but interesting. I will probably get this one, but not today.

As always, try it for yourself and see what you think. We all have different tastes in games and you may find this one to be exactly what you are looking for today. Thanks for the reviews.

qpr1
Clownfish
Clownfish
733 Posts

[Post New]by qpr1 on Jul 3, 14 6:35 PM
I lasted 5 mins too!

cnbmimi11
Guppy
Guppy
192 Posts

[Post New]by cnbmimi11 on Jul 4, 14 5:06 PM
lasted till I made the gate. no buy for me

Radgame
Minnow
Minnow
244 Posts

[Post New]by Radgame on Jul 7, 14 2:30 PM
Based on finished game (Win 7 Home 64-bit Premium SP1 w/ no tech. issues):

What a fun game this turned out to be! Initially, the medallion action threw me off a bit but once I got into the habit of scanning it on each new scene, it was smooth sailing. Lovely, bizarre graphics and colours (almost nightmar-ish!) that add to the leprechaun intrigue. At times, the details were so bizarre that I forgot what I was supposed to do. Brilliant HOGs too. Story was interesting enough but could have used some finesse. The map was pretty useless since it doesn't show any active areas.

Overall, I liked the diff. theme. The cursor was a tad sluggish but not enough to irritate. I mute all sound, so, can't comment on VOs or music. The inventory was never full w/o too much running around.

IMO, this is an outstanding SE (and not a crumb off the CE table) that deserves 5 stars! More like this one, puhlease!

Edited on 07/08/2014 at 10:45:51 AM PST

Go to: