Please post your REVIEWS for Secrets of the Dark: The Flower of Shadow Collector's Edition here

[Post New]by pondprowler on Jul 5, 14 12:32 AM
A thread for your reviews!

Edited on 07/05/2014 at 6:38:09 AM PST

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Secrets of the Dark: The Flower of Shadow Collector's Edition her

[Post New]by JustTheFacts on Jul 5, 14 3:15 AM
Just Not The Same***

BASED ON DEMO

FIRST IMPRESSIONS
I have liked this series from the first, with its nifty idea of revealing a wholly different view of the same world when the lights go out. So I am deeply disappointed that this game doesn’t really do that. I even checked it was the same developer, I was so convinced this game did not belong. But it is the same, so I am left wondering “why?”. Why mess with a winning formula?

SIGHTS & SOUNDS
The game is a dark fantasy, and so there is a lot of dark graphics, most of which are not too difficult to see, but I think it’s on the border in some parts. In the light, real world, the colours are so bright and bold they scream at you, and I don’t like them. The quality of the art is lovely, again, mostly. And the cut scenes are very well done.

Sounds, especially the effects, but also what passes for music, are very ominous and does take off a bit of the brashness of the colours and reinforces the story’s creepiness. The storm, as seen and heard from the living room window is excellent. Voiceovers are good, and no attempt has been made to lip synch, the faces are still.

WHAT’S HAPPENING?
As with each of the games in this series, we discover a world that exists only in the dark. We are investigating the disappearance of a young girl, who was given an unusual lamp for her birthday. When she switched it on, a beast of darkness grabbed her and blocked the door with a magical seal.

You are the right person for the job, because you have a gizmo that can remove such evil magic, and so you are soon able to follow Maria into the ‘dark world’ inside her bedroom. It is a fantastical place with much scary-looking weirdness, and the creature who stole Maria is clearly determined to stop you, and doesn’t much care how. You gain all the information you can here and are ready to move on when the demo ends.

GAMEPLAY
The HOPs in this game are exciting because none of them are standard lists. The two in the demo are, first, pictures of misplaced items displayed, that must be found in the scene and then used correctly. And the second is a bunch of photo pieces that have been cut out of the ones you have. Both types require a bit of thinking, as well as searching, and are logical enough for you to deduce the correct moves.

Many of the puzzles are hard, even this early in the game. They are mainly familiar, but with one more degree of difficulty than usual. Some I hated. For example, there is one where you must ‘herd’ fireflies into a jar. This sort of manual dexterity is totally beyond me, and the skip function is slow to fill, even on the lowest of the 3 plus custom difficulty levels. When I play the game again, I hope I remember to reduce the skip time!

The gadget that removes magic comes with its own mini-game, which after using it three times, I am already loathing. It is an adaptation of aligning the reflections, and by the second one, I was out of my depth. There is also a pet (not ours, but) which has useful skills, although not the usual. Other features include a hint which teleports you to the place you need to be, and the journal which includes goals as well as story. The interactive jump map gives you current objectives rather than available tasks, and I find it a bit confusing to read, in any case. I prefer the hint.

CE BLING!
In keeping with this developer’s history, there are no wallpapers, sound tracks etc. There are 9 Concept Art sketches and 30 replayable mini-games. Plus, there are 30 flowers (they look like creepy glowing lilies to me) and 15 morphing objects to collect. The morphing objects are actually the left over ejecta of cataclysmic transformations that you will be unable to miss. Still, it is a different and interesting use of them.

COMBINED IMPACT
I am disappointed with this game, but I confess it is quite good, with some interesting features. I might just be me who will find it hard to appreciate this game. Still, I don’t think it’s on a par with either its predecessors or some of the games we have had released lately.
I recommend this game!

jennsmom
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,207 Posts

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Secrets of the Dark: The Flower of Shadow Collector's Edition her

[Post New]by jennsmom on Jul 5, 14 3:34 AM
I played the Beta survey and on my game list it says, "No! Run away! Run away!" The graphics were not clear. Things ... floated to your inventory. It's slower than molasses in January. The morphing objects were RIGHT OVER HERE and would be pretty difficult to miss. It doesn't even come close to the quality or atmosphere of the first three games in this series.

[Post New]by mimicampdesert on Jul 5, 14 3:54 AM
Slow Motion Secrets
A terrible beast has kidnapped a young girl and her father wants your help finding her. It is unclear to me why he is asking you for help.I have played others in the series, but can not remember if I am a detective. I thought I was going to love this game, and purchase it straight away, but it ran terribly slow on my laptop. Movement was jerky and extremely slow motion. Cut scenes moved at a normal rate, so very strange. Usually its the other way around. Inventory items took almost 3 seconds to enter my inventory at the bottom. VO had no movement of lips. It was strange to see a close up of the father talking without lips moving. Psychic VO did not bother me so much for some reason.

Puzzles started out extremely easy but thankfully were more challenging as the game progressed. My favorite mini game was the lightning bugs. It was done different we still put them in the jar, but you don't have to click on your mouse. Only guide them with your cursor. Nice touch! HOG's were interactive and fun, but like I said, the slow motion made it a struggle to get through. I did get involved as the story progressed.

Some tasks did not make sense for example: give a XXXX his friend and then the XXXX will move out of the way so you can pick up your item. Why wouldn't I just move the XXXX myself in the first place?

CE Bling: Bonus Chapter, SG, Concept Art, Mini Games, Achievements, Morphing Objects, and Collections. SG only shows 2 chapters in the demo so can't approximate how long the game is. Four levels of difficulty to chose from: Casual, Advanced, Hardcore, and Custom. You can change the level of difficulty during the game. You have a glowing squirrel as your animal helper. There are many locations in the demo. The map is transportable and shows active areas (at least it does in casual mode).

I would consider buying this game if the movements were not so slow on my computer. Maybe it is my computer. I will try the SE demo and decide when released.

bfgWendwater
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,911 Posts

[Post New]by bfgWendwater on Jul 5, 14 6:37 AM
Hello Everyone,

Welcome to the reviews thread! Please feel free to post your thoughts and feedback on Secrets of the Dark: The Flower of Shadow Collector's Edition here. We appreciate the time you take to put your reviews together, and I know other gamers and the developers do as well. We just have a few guidelines to keep in mind when posting. Our goal with these is to keep the thread tidy, easy to navigate and helpful.

Review Guidelines

1) Be sure to keep your reviews on-topic. Reviews in this thread should only be commenting on Secrets of the Dark: The Flower of Shadow Collector's Edition.
2) Be respectful of the reviewers. Please keep in mind our Forum Rules and be respectful of our reviewers. They take the time to post here to be helpful. Please do not review the reviews of others.
3) Do not respond to someone else’s reviews with questions or comments If you have any feedback about a review, or you feel that a review contains incorrect details about the game, please contact the poster directly via PM.
4) Do not review developers. While we do appreciate your feedback, we’d ask that you keep your posts in this thread dedicated to the specific game at hand.

*Moderators will be removing any content in this thread that is not a review.

If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to PM one of our Moderators.

bfgWendwater

angelfish106
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,378 Posts

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Secrets of the Dark: The Flower of Shadow Collector's Edition he

[Post New]by angelfish106 on Jul 5, 14 7:07 AM
I like this game! No issues with slowness in my demo and the graphics were sharp and colourful without being too brash. Some of the puzzles were good fun, especially herding the fireflies and none were overly difficult. The HOS weren't just junk-piles either; some 'replacing of items' and some 'using items to find other items'. As for the gadget mini-game, it is a bit boring and mainly solved by trial and error. However I like the story and am interested to see where it takes me

Custom settings, morphing objects, collectibles and a jump map are all included. My only disappointment is that the game is not programmed to display in widescreen. For a CE this is simply unacceptable and I wouldn't normally buy it. However with the sale I will let the lack of w/s pass and get this game, along with the new Hidden Expedition (which I love!).

snapnhiss
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,483 Posts

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Secrets of the Dark: The Flower of Shadow Collector's Edition h

[Post New]by snapnhiss on Jul 5, 14 8:23 AM
I'm having a terrible time with this game. The graphics are very grainy even in the strategy guide and I'm hopelessly stuck in one of the HOPs thanks to a very bad hint system... and I NEVER get stuck in HOPS and seldom use hints. I had to get out before I got too angry to play anymore.

ETA: As suggested, I had to shrink to full screen to complete a HOG in the pet shop and that fixed the graininess problem. I also had to turn the sparkles back on or I never would have completed the HOG in Maria's room.

Really bad hint system.

It's a nice game but I think they released it before it was ready.

Edited on 07/05/2014 at 5:18:33 PM PST

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Secrets of the Dark: The Flower of Shadow Collector's Edition he

[Post New]by biscuitsmama on Jul 5, 14 9:02 AM
When I played the beta for this game, l left some less than glowing comments, and it looks like the developer and BFG listened. I was prepared to hate this game but thought I would give the demo a try and I am so glad that I did because the game is so different from the beta. We actually have a story that is told in the beginning and more locations to visit with things to do and objects to find.

So, after playing the demo, I found that I couldn't wait to buy the game. Thank you to BFG and the developer for listening and making significant changes before releasing The Flower of Shadow. Job well done!!

jonah11
Minnow
Minnow
211 Posts

[Post New]by jonah11 on Jul 5, 14 10:23 AM
I too find this game very boring and would not buy even with the sale.

quaifen
Starfish
Starfish
43 Posts

[Post New]by quaifen on Jul 5, 14 10:25 AM
what is so difference about this game from the others in this series, the room still differs when the lights are turn, each collectors are always difference in each game, I do not get what the viewers are talking about, this is a good game, I did not finish the demo to know that I wanted this game, the viewer section are beginning to become to misleading.

sunnyglow
Clownfish
Clownfish
804 Posts

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Secrets of the Dark: The Flower of Shadow Collector's Editio

[Post New]by sunnyglow on Jul 5, 14 12:12 PM
We are off to save little Miss "Sweet 16" from being an adorably cute and chic sacrificial lamb in this new adventure game from OrNe. (Man - this girl so reminds me of my high school self - planes, dance, and the "pretty in pink" atmosphere). Geesh! I guess my parents were right - not everyone gets a car as a present for their Sweet 16.

You are a paranormal investigator called in by Joseph Kolak, a retired test pilot. How cool is that! Upon opening a mysterious present, his daughter, Maria, is absconded by a monster. She is transported to an alternate universe within her bedroom where she is held captive. She is one of three innocents who must be sacrificed to bring back an evil goddess of darkness. You enter this dark world, and upon your return, the darkness follows you. You must act quickly or the entire world will be engulfed in darkness.

I ABSOLUTELY LOVE this game (and here is the fine print) with the exception of a couple of things. First, the characters do not have mouth movement and the graphics are a little fuzzy on my computer. However, I like the storyline and the pace of the game. There are three levels plus the ability to customize the game. I ABSOLUTELY LOVE THE PUZZLE aspect of this game. Some of us in the pond have been begging (with tin cups in hand) to have more puzzle-oriented games and more difficult puzzles. The HOP scenes are puzzle-like and interactive. You have a device which is based on a mathematical sequencing problem. So cool and awesome! I don't really care if the collectibles jump out at me. I don't collect them anyway. So annoying. If you finding collectibles is your thing - hey - Go for it! You have an animal helper, and I usually hate animal helpers, but he is cute in a weird way.

I will not get into a "kissing contest" about this game with others on this site as to its merit as a game. I see it is getting big, undeserved "smacks" by some. To "moi," in comparison to some of the games we have had, this game definitely deserves BIG KISS. If you don't like it - so simple - just don't play it. I RATE THIS GAME 6 STARS OUT OF 5 STARS FOR A CE. The extra star is for BF for listening to puzzle lovers! A DEFINITE PURCHASE FOR ME!

Remember everyone: We posters are NOT hired by BF and are not professional writers (well - some may be, I guess) so don't assume that the people who post here are any more talented in assessing games than YOU ARE! JUDGE FOR YOURSELF AND PLAY THE GAME.

Edited on 07/05/2014 at 1:39:32 PM PST

steve_san
Clownfish
Clownfish
586 Posts

[Post New]by steve_san on Jul 5, 14 1:07 PM

Flower of Shadow, Will It Bloom or Wilt?

I have only played Eclipse Mountain of the earlier games in this series.

This time, sixteen year old Marie is captured via a flower she receives from an unknown source for her 16th birthday. The flower generates a portal to another world. In this world, an evil being was spawned from a certain flower. Some time later, the being was defeated but her servant is trying to revive her. He needs three pure souls to feed to the flower in order to regenerate the evil being. Marie's father, Joseph Kolak, is a former military pilot who has called you in to investigate and get his daughter back. Something occurred during his military service that made him and Marie a target of the the being. Village fortune-teller Stephanie is available to help guide you.

Despite the explosion of pink and purple to open the game, the artwork and cut scenes are fairly well done - except for a small plane which is quite out of scale. You'll transport between the two worlds several times as you progress. The world inside the portal is quite dark, and relies more on greens, grays and browns.

Game play is not heavy on hidden objects The ones there are are not simple lists, but require interaction. Puzzles are fairly standard, a little more difficult than the easy ones we've seen recently, but not hard. You have a device to dispel the barriers the spirit puts in your way, it's very simple to use.

Music, sound effects and voices are good, but the character's lips do not move.

There are collectible flowers and morphing objects, but these are so large and obvious that they practically say "HERE I AM."

In my opinion, while there is nothing distinctive about the story or play, it seems to be made well and at least has some degree of difficulty. However, I would wait for the standard edition before picking this flower.

dancemom1
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,198 Posts

[Post New]by dancemom1 on Jul 5, 14 4:58 PM
Hi all. Well another addition to the Secrets series, this being the 4th. Yes, I have the other 3 and thoroughly enjoyed them. I guess I'm going to be one of the few on this one, but I sort of liked it. It was different all the way around. Graphics were very nice, as was the animation. Very bright colors, and some very dark areas that you needed to find a form of light to get into (this was a little challenging at times). Music was very soothing, until something was about to happen...well done. Voice overs were well done as well, but not too many so far.

HOPs were fairly clear and items not difficult to find, but you needed to work at it a little, e.g. where does this go and then use that item to find something else. I didn't find very many HOPs during the demo, and you do repeat the same one multiple times, but find different items. Puzzles so far aren't difficult at all and nothing different. Hint system is very helpful and fills fairly quickly. I found the SG to be either blurry or the print is just too small, but I didn't care for it and didn't have to use it either. Didn't even open the jump map, so can't comment on that one.

The only collectibles I found are the flowers, which are not hard to see at all. Also, there are morphing objects that can be a little difficult to see, as they blend in to some areas very well.

As I said, I liked this game...not sure why, but I do and I will purchase it. I think this will appeal to most all levels of players. Not very challenging, but I found it fun and a little different. Don't get frustrated by the first few items you need to find, as you will do quite a lot of running around. Once you get the hang of it, you got it made. In case you are wondering, the other 3 in the series are: Secrets of the Dark: Eclipse Mountain; Mystery of the Ancestral Estate and Temple of Night.

As always, try it for yourself and see what you think. We all have different tastes in games and you may not care for this one at all. Thanks for the reviews.

saphhire
Herring
Herring
329 Posts

[Post New]by saphhire on Jul 5, 14 10:49 PM
I have windows 8 and I had no problems with slowness..........With the 2 for one sale that's going on right now this is a buy for me......................I LIKE THIS GAME CAUSE IT'S BRIGHT COMPARED TO THE NORMAL DARK..........HO's and puzzles are great I can actually finish them with some thought................I have the others in this series................

A BUY BUY AND I GET A FREE ONE

Tufty57
Minnow
Minnow
229 Posts

[Post New]by Tufty57 on Jul 6, 14 8:28 AM
I'lll keep this short...

Apart from an issue with the screen size (black bars at the sides and a disappearing cursor to the right) I had no technical difficulties with this game.

That's the good news!

Bad news is...IT IS SIMPLY AWFUL!

* Massive cursor when it changes.
* Hint system way out in the first (present) HOS (and I rarely have to use a hint in an HOS)
* Same old story, which I can accept as there are only so many stories, but it is so badly done!

As a previous reviewer has said, the previous "Secrets of the Dark" games were SO good. What HAVE they done?

Absolutely not a buy for me. Quit after 30 minutes.

Penguin29
Herring
Herring
363 Posts

[Post New]by Penguin29 on Jul 6, 14 9:12 AM
Just finished the game... really enjoyed it. I had no tech issues (got the magnet in the pet shop just fine... sorry to others who are having problems). I liked the mixture of puzzles. Graphics were fine for me. Game moved quickly from scene to scene. Guess I'm one of the odd ones out - most people did not enjoy.

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Secrets of the Dark: The Flower of Shadow Collector's Edition h

[Post New]by mythicalclone1 on Jul 7, 14 6:16 PM
I played the trial version of this game last evening. I quite like the colors, the play, the story line. I'm playing a game not deciding whether the storyline is great. They are repetitive and so what.

I always play on silent so I cannot comment on VO's or music.

I got kinda tickled at the father after he was returned. Man, he looked like he was hung over after a 3 day drunk. I do wish they'd move him from the airplane though. Maybe he'll disappear later.

I had no technical issues, no slowness. Everything works as it should. I'm running an old ASUS laptop on Windows 7.

Thanks for another great game. I love Big Fish - warts and all. Nothing is perfect.

Edited on 07/07/2014 at 6:16:55 PM PST

[Post New]by irssecretary on Jul 7, 14 10:56 PM
Of all the collector's editions game I have played (and I have played them all) this is the worst. The graphics were grainy to the point I thought something was up with my computer! The strategy guide was all but useless. Sometimes when you had a puzzle right, it just sat there. I knew it was right and kept waiting for something, anything to happen! Eventually, i just skipped to continue on. As with a lot of you, I have played the other game in this series and all were very good. All I can say is they must have been on a deadline to get this one out and didn't finish with the fine tuning. Sorry guys!

pgillenw
Minnow
Minnow
236 Posts

I recomend this game!

[Post New]by pgillenw on Jul 8, 14 8:05 PM
I do believe this a well developed game --

I would like to state while I enjoyed the game I am tiring of the themes that reply on mystical characters. Games such as this while imaginative leaves me wanting a classic game such as 13th Skull.

dogcatmom
Guppy
Guppy
114 Posts

[Post New]by dogcatmom on Jul 12, 14 7:46 PM
Hello found it odd that the lamp post plate screws came off when the nail file turned the screws to the RIGHT....righty tightly lefty loosey. Otherwise so far so good

Go to: