bfgVaiya
Salmon
Salmon
2,557 Posts

Reviews for Nightfall: An Edgar Allan Poe Mystery

[Post New]by bfgVaiya on Jul 7, 14 2:40 PM
Hello Everyone,

Welcome to the reviews thread! Please feel free to post your thoughts and feedback on Nightfall: An Edgar Allan Poe Mystery here. We appreciate the time you take to put your reviews together, and I know other gamers and the developers do as well. We just have a few guidelines to keep in mind when posting. Our goal with these is to keep the thread tidy, easy to navigate and helpful.

Review Guidelines

1) Be sure to keep your reviews on-topic. Reviews in this thread should only be commenting on Nightfall: An Edgar Allan Poe Mystery .
2) Be respectful of the reviewers. Please keep in mind our Forum Rules and be respectful of our reviewers. They take the time to post here to be helpful. Please do not review the reviews of others.
3) Do not respond to someone else’s reviews with questions or comments If you have any feedback about a review, or you feel that a review contains incorrect details about the game, please contact the poster directly via PM.
4) Do not review developers. While we do appreciate your feedback, we’d ask that you keep your posts in this thread dedicated to the specific game at hand.

*Moderators will be removing any content in this thread that is not a review.

If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to PM one of our Moderators.

bfgVaiya

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

Re:Reviews for Nightfall: An Edgar Allan Poe Mystery

[Post New]by Valdy on Jul 9, 14 8:09 PM
I am so glad ERS have joined the club of F2P game developers, and brought out a F2P HOG with one of their much-loved characters in it: Monsieur Dupin. At the moment it's still a "special sneak peek" but, as with all F2P games, it's fully functional.

I have played a little, and wow... gorgeous graphics, and I love that map. It's animated too.

There are lots of tabs at the bottom screen, some of which are not yet activated, such as "friends" and "gifts". But then again, this is only a "sneak peek" for now.

You can dress your avatar, buying clothes and such for him or her. Love it. There is only one HOS open at the moment, it's the house of M. Dupin, and the objects are sometimes a little small. But there is a magnifying glass you can use to get a better look at things.

You also have your own office, which you can decorate, and in which you find lots of things in the shelves, like your achievements, for example.

There is a tutorial in the beginning, and it explains all the various things much better than I could here. So give it a go, it looks to be an interesting and fun game.

govols2
Shark
Shark
11,575 Posts

[Post New]by govols2 on Jul 10, 14 7:11 PM
Hi Valdy !!

This has some of the same scenes as the original game so it is familiar. Your energy goes up over time. It is 3 minutes per unit.

On the 1st level is the tutorial and a quest or two. You look around the office and do a HOG scene at Dupin's home. On the 2nd level more areas open up. I searched 4 other places to fulfill quests and then leveled up again. So right now I have 5 places not counting the office. Only a few items you search for now in each scene but some take a bit to find because of the dark scenes.

Haven't done any decorating or dressing up yet since it takes quite a bit of diamonds to do so. Hopefully those will not be too hard to come by.

Not a difficult game and will be nice to pass the time.

govols2
Shark
Shark
11,575 Posts

[Post New]by govols2 on Jul 10, 14 7:36 PM
To add to previous post.

On level 4 now and there are a bunch of places opened up. Some aspects are starting to remind me of other F2P games but I am sure you can only do so much to make it interesting and move things along.

Just encountered one scene that had something called "hurricane effect" or something like that. It speeds up the clock. There is also an area to combine things that you have found to make one thing.

Oh did I mention...there are Achievements to!!!

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Jul 12, 14 3:10 AM
When you encounter abnormal things happening in the HOS, you can get rid of them by paying 200 gold coins - so far it's 200, anyway.

Also, you only get 5 Hints, and have to buy more with diamonds if you can't do without them. So be careful how you use them.

Another thing I didn't actually see at first - unless ERS sneaked it in just now... LOL - there is a widescreen option. I really didn't see it when I went into the Options the first time. But you can click on it, and the nice-looking sidebars disappear and the game stretches to fill your widescreen monitor.

--- --- ---

And just wanted to say to ERS: Well done!! I just LOVE the HOS where I have to spot 6 differences between 2 scenes. I love STDs!!

And please, if "Midnight Castle" and their "you are not connected to the server" nonsense we get all the time, is anything to go by, I'd rather not have the Friends and Gift section opened. These games are a delight without the need of friends and gift exchanging. In fact, it can become a real hassle that can take away much of the fun. But that's just how I feel about it.

Love this game!!

--- --- ---

Forgot to mention that the "Get Starter Kit" announcement is stuck at 71 hours and 3 minutes. Been like this for the last couple of days.

Edited on 07/12/2014 at 3:52:26 AM PST

barregar
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,249 Posts

[Post New]by barregar on Jul 13, 14 6:30 AM
Thank you, Valdy, for the tip on the widescreen option. I didn't know it was available but now I'm going to try it.

I love this game, love the map, only on level 6 now. I love the flying machines that come by once in a while. Still having problems with the Zombie quest so I don't touch it at all...hope they'll fix it soon.

[Post New]by firepolishedAB on Jul 15, 14 11:06 AM
On level 3+ so far and really enjoying myself, sharp graphics
and a magnifying glass easily make me happy.

Often the FTP games (of which I have sampled MOST of them)
seem to forget they are a game and not a drudgery,become
so repetitive with very little to actually do...we get bored.
This game seems to have at least thought about that aspect
and looks like extra accomplishments and even a quiz
as well as the usual HOS might make the game more interesting.

Early days but looks promising.

Still not sure what I was looking for in the sky,cause I could not
see anything!!

fire

gamblebug
Herring
Herring
341 Posts

[Post New]by gamblebug on Jul 15, 14 1:56 PM
I hope this doesn't mean that this is the end of our usual games of the Edgar Allen Poe series.I love that series and always buy the games.But this one I won't .Don't care for so called free games.Please ERS let this be the only one ,I so look forward to the Poe games.

Edited on 07/15/2014 at 1:57:30 PM PST

[Post New]by nontechiegrannie on Jul 15, 14 9:07 PM
Nice game but a little bit tedious having to go multiple times to the same location to earn the rewards.

Good graphics but no VO & usual wooden one dimensional characters.

I LOVED the music. It was spot on for this game.

Never have found the hint button but the HOS are fairly simple & not overly cluttered.

Took me a few moments to learn the games nuances & have really enjoyed playing it.

CONS: I have run out of energy (used all of my gold/crystals) & it seems the only option is to pay for the gold/crystal. I don't think so!!! If a game is free, shouldn't the entire game be FREE???

I have also had trouble with the game freezing & having to ctl/alt/delete & then restart multiple times. This is MOST annoying coupled along with the playing to play a free game aspect.

I read in other reviews about the "zombie level" causing trouble. I reached that level & also had trouble but got out AGAIN & was able to continue playing in other areas until my energy ran out.

Sorry ERS you should change your name to ERRORS!!!

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Jul 15, 14 11:58 PM
nontechiegrannie... at the bottom right is a row of round green tabs - you will get more as you progress in the game. These are Power-Ups. The first one on the left is a Tuning Fork. That's the Hint.
You only get 5 hints, after which you have to pay 5 diamonds for each one.

I have had no trouble with the game at all. Didn't freeze once on me. I didn't click on the zombies, because I read about them first in the Tech. Issues thread.

This is a great game, and I love the STD-type of HOS the best.

Edited on 07/16/2014 at 12:00:28 AM PST

dog2007
Squid
Squid
73 Posts

[Post New]by dog2007 on Jul 18, 14 9:30 PM
This was surprisingly a fun game for being a F2P...I'm actually hooked.

The game is still a beta so this is solely based on that and what I have gotten through so far...glitches and other changes may be/will be brought out by the time some of you read this review.

I gave this game 4/5 for the fun factor: This game launches you back into the Murder at Rue Morgue but from the perspective of a detective trying to get a start with Dupin and slowly building their way up. To do this you have to do hidden object games to complete tasks for different characters. This takes energy, and while it does recharge over time, and you can gain powerups to help speed this up or renew your energy, after so long you have to spend the coins and/or the crystals you have earned to get enough energy to play. This factor can get rather annoying, as can the fact that if you exit the game your time continues. While this is a good thing when it comes to recharging your energy, if you have an active powerup you will ultimately lose it since the time on how long you have it also continues to go down (a big waste unless you can manage to keep going for as long as your powerups are active).

I gave this game 5/5 on visual and sound quality: The HOS are the places you went in the original game, only now they are HOS rather than places you simply pass through. The characters were drawn well, more like the original game, and the details are stunning. The music is the original track so if you enjoyed it before you'll love it now.

I gave the game 4/5 for level of challenge: Like the DT series the HOS are rather simple. That said, there are challenges that pop up as you play, and the number of items you have to find also increases. When you start you have a short list of 6 items and no hazards. As you progress and increase your rank the number of items increases to 8 and then to 12 (this is as high as my game has gotten so far...but I wouldn't be surprised to find 18 or 24 items in the future). The HOS style is either a list of items, silhouettes, or a spot the difference that requires you to slid the screen to find all the objects (basically a zoom in of the room but the entire room). For the most part the items are easy to see, but I have had to use hints a few times...The objects constantly change locations so that adds to the intrigue since you have to look for them rather than just clicking. The hazards I have gotten so far are a hurricane (gives you a limited time to complete HOS), n

abarrett
Clownfish
Clownfish
990 Posts

[Post New]by abarrett on Jul 18, 14 10:23 PM
I have been playing this FTP game for a couple of days now and I am really enjoying it. Graphics are very clear, the hidden objects are not too hard to find, and the story is interesting. I am also impressed that ERS has fixed the game issues so quickly. If I had to choose one FTP game to play, it would be Nightfall!

hiramsmom
Starfish
Starfish
53 Posts

[Post New]by hiramsmom on Jul 19, 14 10:17 AM
This is my third day playing this game and so far it has been great. It took a while to figure out what to do but little by little it becomes clear. I'm on level 20 but have run out of energy again... Thought I would write this while I wait for it to re-charge.
I still have not made enough to buy clothing! I wonder just what I'm wearing?

If you like Found you will like this. The game is very similar, in that you get rewards for your achievements and have to complete sets of items to earn money and energy. Instead of floating pirates, animals etc. there are airplanes and balloons that you collect items for and get rewards from them, so look up and get some money! In found there are only two types of view, day and night. In NIGHTFALL there is day, night, fog and hurricane so far, even a few zombies.(the problem with them has been fixed)

My only complaint so far is that it is very hard to figure out what some of the silhouette items are supposed to be!! It would be very helpful if they were identified when you hovered over the images.(Devs. please make note of this....)

oasis53
Squid
Squid
61 Posts

[Post New]by oasis53 on Jul 29, 14 6:40 AM
bah humbug...horrible...same room over and over

[Post New]by miss_marigold11 on Jul 29, 14 11:44 AM
A really great game. Only one day's play and am on level 8 needing only about 50 points for next level. Thanks to which one of you helpful girls who mentioned the "wide screen" option. I have been enjoying the game so much never gave it a thought but I will tomorrow. I'm one of the people who will not actually "pay" money to buy time and diamonds and what ever and I don't think one really has to if you have a bit of patience. I think the only other game comparable to this is Awakening Kingdoms. All the others pale in comparison.
I know this is not a "real review" like the great offers of others but I just had to put forth an opinion.
thanks

sunnyglow
Clownfish
Clownfish
804 Posts

[Post New]by sunnyglow on Jul 29, 14 12:18 PM
NO GLASS OF BUBBLY EXCITEMENT HERE - CAT'S CLAWS OUT HERE SO BE WARNED!

Dupin, our French Sherlock Holmes, is now in a new play for free venue? Such a "bel homme, très intelligent; de magnifiques yeux bleus." "Cést terrible." I have never played one of the PFF games before, But how could I resist not when my favorite "game dream man" Dupin (so intelligent - and those eyes) was in it. I am so disappointed. "C'est triste" Hopefully our Dupin will not disappear from the CE HOP games completely. This game seems to be a type of adventure game which can continue into infinitum. You are his sidekick detective (like Watson) uncovering clues in a continuing series of cases.

First, I really don't want to return to my childhood and play "dress up" by choosing costumes to wear. Second, to me, this game is rather confusing; however, I don't play these games so it probably requires some type of learning curve. Third, my host family took me to Paris many times during my year as an exchange student in Barcelona and it is not a favorite city of mine. I really don't want to keep paying to play this game to learn new and amazing facts about Paris. It seems our buds "across the pond" like this game - so maybe it is a European thing. Fourth, It seems everything you do in this game will result in more cash outflow to continue in your pursuit of solving detective cases. I really don't like the whole "points" venue in the game. Fifth, I keep hearing a cat meowing in the background while I played the short time I did. Yes, the GamERS are back with their "cutesy animals" and I wonder how many more there are in the game and if there are more "cutesy helpers" throughout the game. You probably will have to pay for these as well.

Don't misunderstand. I am a big aficionada of BF games , and I like adventure games. This game just isn't for me and so sad to lose Dupin!

Edited on 07/29/2014 at 12:21:30 PM PST

pgillenw
Minnow
Minnow
236 Posts

What have you done?

[Post New]by pgillenw on Jul 29, 14 4:16 PM
Clear that you wanted to give us the kitchen sink full of dishes. How sad to have an Edgar Allen Poe Mystery with so much gunk.

I am not fooling around with this game.

How sad. BTW this is not a new game, right?

megwoman25
Clownfish
Clownfish
742 Posts

[Post New]by megwoman25 on Jul 29, 14 5:38 PM
GRR what really bothers me about this game is that the hidden object scenes are taken from previous games in this series. I play the Awakening Kingdoms by Boomzap and even though its like awakening the series, all the scenes are brand new and NOT related to the actual downloaded paid series. This one has scenes from all the previous games so its nothing new that Id play or ever spend money on. In fact the story starts off just how Murder in Rue Morgue did with the woman dead clutching the gorillas hair. SERIOUSLY? IF I want to play that game, I'll dig that game out of my vault and play it since I own it. There's nothing new here at all. Everything is recycled just like all of ERS games. What a pity. For a second I thought ERS might have given me something Id enjoy.

Fishpole
Clownfish
Clownfish
556 Posts

[Post New]by Fishpole on Jul 29, 14 8:52 PM
I must say that I was a little disappointed when I found out that this wasn't a 'new' game in the series...but instead a FTP game!

I have ALL the games in the series though so I downloaded this one....just to see what it was all about. And I WAS pleasantly surprised!

The Developer has put all the great craftsmanship into this game that they put into their regular games and THEN some!

Way to Go!

Instead of rushing around trying to find items though I want to take my time & just check out the ambience that they have created for us! This can be a bit counter-productive. But oh well! I AM enjoying this game.

I certainly hope that they have taken a lesson from some of the 'other' FTP games and WON'T be making TOO many changes that will seriously impact on the game and our ability to play it.

And, in closing....thanks for the 'Starter Pack'.....I did take advantage of that!

roxycavalier
Stingray
Stingray
5,621 Posts

[Post New]by roxycavalier on Jul 30, 14 1:16 AM
What kind of a stupid game is this???

Go to: