A thread for your reviews!

Edited on 07/09/2014 at 8:45:01 AM PST

mgpaquin
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
454 Posts

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Rise of Dynasty here

[Post New]by mgpaquin on Jul 9, 14 8:39 AM
I'm a real Match 3 lover, but I'm on the fence about this one. A word to the wise — the levels get hard VERY fast, and I got to the point where I started to play on the relaxed level. This almost never happens to me, and I was frankly very surprised.

There are power ups, but the main power up in the center, which is charged by matching 4 or more, doesn't seem to be very effective. It blows up a lot of stuff, but not what NEEDS to be blown up, and if there's a way to aim it at what you want destroyed I couldn't find it. The power ups don't stay charged from level to level if you don't use them, so you might as well use what you've got.

As I said, I'm really on the fence here. I may pick this up with a freebie, but I doubt I'll get it otherwise.

bfgWendwater
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,911 Posts

[Post New]by bfgWendwater on Jul 9, 14 8:44 AM
Hello Everyone,

Welcome to the reviews thread! Please feel free to post your thoughts and feedback on Rise of Dynasty here. We appreciate the time you take to put your reviews together, and I know other gamers and the developers do as well. We just have a few guidelines to keep in mind when posting. Our goal with these is to keep the thread tidy, easy to navigate and helpful.

Review Guidelines

1) Be sure to keep your reviews on-topic. Reviews in this thread should only be commenting on Rise of Dynasty.
2) Be respectful of the reviewers. Please keep in mind our Forum Rules and be respectful of our reviewers. They take the time to post here to be helpful. Please do not review the reviews of others.
3) Do not respond to someone else’s reviews with questions or comments If you have any feedback about a review, or you feel that a review contains incorrect details about the game, please contact the poster directly via PM.
4) Do not review developers. While we do appreciate your feedback, we’d ask that you keep your posts in this thread dedicated to the specific game at hand.

*Moderators will be removing any content in this thread that is not a review.

If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to PM one of our Moderators.

bfgWendwater

Radgame
Minnow
Minnow
244 Posts

[Post New]by Radgame on Jul 9, 14 10:26 AM
Based on Demo (relaxed mode):

A no-buy for me for soooo many reasons.

- Tile types aren't easy to focus on.
- Frozen tiles are hard to spot + hard to see what type of tile it is.
- Power-up is so very random. Doesn't lend itself to any kind of strategy on when to use. For ex: In Rise of Atlantis (my gold standard for M3s), when all removable tiles are one row away from dropping, using the power-up finishes the level.
- No other way to generate bombs, etc. Ex: Fishdom
- Other 'power' tools appear as one per level.

A total for me. In a M3 game, you're staring at the screen for so long and for so many levels......if I have to squint, it's already over (I don't need glasses).

More vision and attention to detail needed, Devs!

kdubs
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,480 Posts

[Post New]by kdubs on Jul 9, 14 11:35 AM
After reading the review page and comments here, wasn't so sure, then decided to just play for a few minutes to see.

From 'no way' to 'well maybe'....then as I was really getting into it, Bam! Just a few clicks from clearing Level 10, I was unceremoniously ejected.

There is surprisingly more strategy required than first appears. In my humble opinion, it combines some of the best elements of Call of Atlantis and Around the World.

There are solid colors underlying many of the tiles, plus so far I've seen the 'tangled' tiles and 'frozen' tiles, all of which are eliminated with regular matches. Then on Level 10, reminiscent of Around the World, we get what looks like piles of coal. The only way to get those suckers out of the way is to drop them off the bottom of the board ASAP. I wonder if they 'multiply' in this game the way the do in Around the World. Guess I'll have to buy it to see.

Plus on each board multiple special items appear after all the underlying solid colored tiles have been cleared. Those must be dropped to the bottom also. Keeping those from getting blocked by the 'tangled' and 'frozen' tiles can be tricky, but factoring in how to drop off the 'coal' really ups the strategy required. **Spoiler Alert** Discovered you don't have to clear off all 'frozen' tiles if they aren't keeping you from dropping the special items off the board. *End Alert*

As to the powerup which fills with matches and then shoots lightning around the board, that's just like the Amulet from Call of Atlantis. True it cannot be directed where to fire, but it is at least generally helpful as it generates tile movement all around the board.

I tested it several times, and found it to be reasonably helpful as it shot out lightning. I'm generally loathe to use powerups, preferring the hand-to-hand combat of just making matches. Guess that explains why I prefer to play Relaxed mode.

Anyway, I can't wait to get back into it, but have to, since I have 5 punch codes that I use only on Bonus Punch Monday.

Edited on 07/10/2014 at 12:13:43 AM PST

saphhire
Herring
Herring
329 Posts

[Post New]by saphhire on Jul 9, 14 5:37 PM
One little tuff game............I'm undecided here????????????????????/buy or no buy...........after reading the tech problems everyone seems stuck on level 37.......................they can't continue.............guess I'll wait until there's a fix............

[Post New]by daisyduck352 on Jul 10, 14 1:21 PM
I liked this Match 3 game and will most likely buy it.. It kept my interest and liked the music.. A good change from all the HOG's that I usually buy. Good Job.. Give this 3 out of 5 stars..

[Post New]by plopez44 on Jul 10, 14 3:23 PM
I bought the game and enjoyed it until I got to level 37. Now I am stuck and can't go any farther. Not happy about this.

CoolGrammy1
Minnow
Minnow
257 Posts

[Post New]by CoolGrammy1 on Jul 13, 14 7:22 AM
It was a so so game for me.....the Irish jig playing on a Chinese Dynasty game made it a no go game.

MEnr56
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,984 Posts

[Post New]by MEnr56 on Jul 15, 14 11:16 AM

Having just finished this game, I don't understand the bad reviews that this game has been subjected to. One member basically stated that it's same-o-same-o; all Match3 games are but each has their own nuances.

I gave this game a 4-star rating instead of a 5-star rating because it appeared to me that as each level became harder, the timing to finish each level did NOT seem to increase BUT you can toggle back and forth between timed and relaxed. I just got tired of replaying most levels 2x beginning in timed and ending in relaxed that I ended up playing this game most of the time in relaxed mode.

This is a nice game; however, the music became disappointing as most of the time, it was NOT oriental music which I particularly like and felt that it should have remained so as this is a game based on the Orient -- China.

MEnr56

sneak
Starfish
Starfish
47 Posts

[Post New]by sneak on Jul 25, 14 1:44 PM
CoolGrammy1 wrote:It was a so so game for me.....the Irish jig playing on a Chinese Dynasty game made it a no go game.

Yes I agree with that, the Irish music spoils the atmosphere of the game for me. I do like the game, but please ditch the music!

SavemeJack
Guppy
Guppy
166 Posts

[Post New]by SavemeJack on Aug 1, 14 7:38 PM
BASED ON DEMO ONLY

I could not even finish the demo. I think the word for that is b-o-r-i-n-g.

Let's start with the Pros. You can make matches while other tiles are falling. The board was big enough and tiles easy to see. Some bit of strategy here in order to fill up the powerups, but no clear-cut instructions as to how to use them. (Used to that, anyway). All the usual frozen, webbed, and generally stuck tiles. It does have a bit of a challenge to it as it is important to get those tiles in the corners out of the way first. Nice "tinkling" sound as tiles drop. Both timed and relaxed mode.

Cons: The layout is very, very simple. You don't get a read-out of the number of coins you have. Building is just plain lackluster. There is no choice of what to build, style, upgrades, etc. When you get to the building scene, you have one choice: A choice to build or not. If you choose build, there is no actual building, just the house or whatever appears. The colors of the landscape and buildings are dull. The music was just horrible. You get a little story in the beginning, not long, and you are left to play the game, it seemed to me, alone.

My opinion (and I feel like I'm leaving out something on the Pro side) is that the game is lacking in something. There's no fun in playing this. People have said "same old, same old." Although I don't agree entirely on this statement because of the strategy involved, it really is the "same old, same old," only worse. Where is the pizzazz? Where are the beautiful graphics? Where are all the people cheering you on, or at least telling you the goals you have to strive for? In other words, the game was just "blah" IMHO. May be a good game for beginners with the relaxed mode and to try an M3 and get the hang of powerups, etc. For me, it was just humdrum.

I do not recommend this game. Please try before you buy - may be just right for you.

Go to: