Please post your REVIEWS for Beyond the Unknown: A Matter of Time Collector's Edition here

[Post New]by pondprowler on Jul 10, 14 12:34 AM
A thread for your reviews!

Edited on 07/10/2014 at 7:57:56 AM PST

Nilosh
Clownfish
Clownfish
590 Posts

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Beyond the Unknown: A Matter of Time Collector's Edition here

[Post New]by Nilosh on Jul 10, 14 1:54 AM
Good morning all and goodmorning to you Pondprowler. I am sorry to see that things are not getting any better here at the forums. As I have some free time this morning I tried to download the game but not only did it shut down my game manager but also I get "trial expired". I guess that is it for me then so I will be moving on. Before I go, I notice that the water is getting a bit cold around here which is a pity since the Pond started out as a warm and fun place to be in. A swimming hole that invited everyone to just chill and make new friends; it wasnt only about the games. Oh well, I love you all and wish everyone a very good summer. I am off and hope to see you around soon. Cheers

SquirrelGirrrl
Guppy
Guppy
193 Posts

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Beyond the Unknown: A Matter of Time Collector's Edition here

[Post New]by SquirrelGirrrl on Jul 10, 14 2:00 AM
Was it just me, or did anyone else think that the demo was way too short? I was barely getting an understanding of what to do when the demo was over. I think the game could be interesting, but usually we are given more time to make a decision as to whether or not it would be something to buy. I'll wait until there is a sale.

[Post New]by JustTheFacts on Jul 10, 14 4:28 AM
Ancient Curses & Time Travel!****

BASED ON DEMO

FIRST IMPRESSIONS
This is a much darker and more dramatic game than expected, we experience two shipwrecks in the first minute. The intro and interface are quite a departure for this developer, having sleek and modern lines. But the game itself is pure ERS.

SIGHTS & SOUNDS
The graphics, particularly those opening cut scenes, are extraordinary. Clear, imaginative, very fluid with lots of animation and movement. The characteristic hand painted scenes look stunning in this context. This is another game that manages to make a beautiful warm sunshiny day scary. There are these shadows, and “evil mists”, and ghosts... Crazy men predicting the final days...Visions in greyscale, burning...

The music is astounding. Great crashing waves of sound, sudden crescendos, eerie silence. Again, very melodramatic. The voiceovers are wonderful, with the player character speaking out loud her thoughts, and the others doing a pretty good job at lip sync. This game is made something awesome by its soundtrack.

WHAT’S HAPPENING?
Bear with them on this. At first, the plot seems all over the place, but soon things make sufficient sense – for a time travel game anyway *grin*.

An archaeologist finds the legendary Golden Sarcophagus, made of pure gold, on a small island, and attempts to bring it back to the mainland. Despite the rumoured curse on those who try to take it off the island. The sarcophagus, belonged to the infamous Time Lord (no, not Dr Who!). The boat carrying the sarcophagus sank before it could leave island waters, but in the process, the 4 golden eagles on its face were lost. The archaeologist begs you to find them and return them to the sarcophagus, which he has reset in its original place.

In our awakening moments after our own ship wreck, which takes place 10 years after the archaeologist was on the island, we see flashes of news print telling of strange temporal disasters. I really liked that. A different kind of threat altogether. We’re on the island now, looking for our grandfather – is he the archaeologist? And we go to our family home. Were we living on the island that had the sarcophagus? What seems to be happening is actually an age-old love triangle with a time travel paradox thrown in. As well, there are furies to deal with, and the ghosts of revenge – they are minions of that Time Lord dude, I think.

GAMEPLAY
You are immediately caught up in doing stuff. There is quite a bit of adventure play, more so than puzzles and HOPs, although you do get to them eventually of course. The HOPs are interactive lists visited twice, nothing exciting about them, but they are beautiful to look at and clear as a bell. Alternatively, there is a simple Match-3 game you can play, but simple is not easy, and it gets more difficult in each new scene you play.

The puzzles are nothing too difficult yet, but you have the choice to play the easy or the hard version of some. You also have a choice of 3 difficulty levels, and a very thorough range of options with which to customise your gameplay. Enough I think to satisfy the toughest die-hard.

There is an interactive map that you acquire once you’ve got your GPS up and running, and you also keep your notes, task list, replayable videos and photos on your phone. The map only gives you your location and completed scenes. The photos are part of the gameplay. Take 5 photos of areas relevant to the character (5), and you receive a high definition image of him, plus more of his story. That might be a CE exclusive I guess, but... Hint and skip are as long as you want it to refill, and directional.

CE BLING!
There are achievements, and 20 collectible “mysterious clocks”, which are wonderfully intricate clocks of all sorts. Together they open the time portal, which I assume is a good thing. CE extras include wallpapers x5, concept art x20, screensavers x 5, music x4. There are 13 replayable HOPs, and 31 mini-games. There are also photographs we can take with our phone, 5 for each character (5), that will produce a HD picture of them and more detail on their history.

The collectible clocks are good. Hard to find, surprisingly, and very imaginative. That, for me, was the single most appealing part of the extras - and if they are needed to finish the game by entering the time portal, then they are not going to be CE exclusive anyway! I dearly HOPE!

COMBINED IMPACT
This is a fun game so far, and is about 50% of the game according to the game recorder – which took me only 60 minutes. Which makes it seem a bit shorter than my liking, but I was sorta familiar with this game, having played the beta months ago.

And it has some very attractive qualities, such as the sound. It is nevertheless a fairly standard HOPA, and nothing to get hysterical about. No doubt, though, I will enjoy the full game immensely. But as with most ERS games, I am leaning towards the SE.

I recommend this game!

greenshade
Guppy
Guppy
101 Posts

[Post New]by greenshade on Jul 10, 14 5:09 AM
This has to be the WORST game ever....... seems like the 3rd string of ERS developers came in on this one. Waaay too simplistic. Need something? It's almost right THERE! (or go back and the guy will give it to you)

Cute doggie helper alert !

I usually love ERS games because they do interesting things with their HOs.. not in this case.. slightly interactive lists. groan! (match 3 game option which didn't thrill me either)

Maybe I'm jaded but can't believe these are the same folks who put out the Edgar Allan Poe games... and so many of the games I have LOVED.

This will be a definite "no buy" for me even the SE. Did the beta and didn't like.. see the release isn't any better.

C'mon, ERS... give us something we can sink out teeth into!

bfgMurrumbidgee
1,338 Posts

[Post New]by bfgMurrumbidgee on Jul 10, 14 7:55 AM
Hello Everyone,

Welcome to the reviews thread! Please feel free to post your thoughts and feedback on Beyond the Unknown: A Matter of Time Collector's Edition here. We appreciate the time you take to put your reviews together, and I know other gamers and the developers do as well. We just have a few guidelines to keep in mind when posting. Our goal with these is to keep the thread tidy, easy to navigate and helpful.

Review Guidelines

1) Be sure to keep your reviews on-topic. Reviews in this thread should only be commenting on Beyond the Unknown: A Matter of Time Collector's Edition .
2) Be respectful of the reviewers. Please keep in mind our Forum Rules and be respectful of our reviewers. They take the time to post here to be helpful. Please do not review the reviews of others.
3) Do not respond to someone else’s reviews with questions or comments If you have any feedback about a review, or you feel that a review contains incorrect details about the game, please contact the poster directly via PM.
4) Do not review developers. While we do appreciate your feedback, we’d ask that you keep your posts in this thread dedicated to the specific game at hand.

*Moderators will be removing any content in this thread that is not a review.

If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to PM one of our Moderators.

Edited on 07/10/2014 at 7:55:59 AM PST

nan431
Minnow
Minnow
269 Posts

[Post New]by nan431 on Jul 10, 14 11:32 AM
after reading reviews will not bother to download and I am a fan of ERS GAMES. and Nilosh you are so right about our pond

mst3kr
Guppy
Guppy
115 Posts

[Post New]by mst3kr on Jul 10, 14 12:25 PM
ERS:

Expect Repetition Studios
Exceedingly Redundant Studios
Egregiously, Ridiculously Simple
Exceptionally Rotten Studios
Exhaustively Rhetoric Studios

Take your pick... I used to like ERS; now I'm plain sick of this dev. Every game is now the same: no challenge, cutesy animals, bland storylines, simplistic mini games, off-putting graphics, recycled music, etc, etc. And this game is absolutely no different.

Maybe if the dev spent more time on quality than quantity, they'd be able to put out games that were worth buying. Take a cue from Eipix or Elephant Games...

ERS? Hardly. Cookie-Cutter Studio is more like it.

dancemom1
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,198 Posts

[Post New]by dancemom1 on Jul 10, 14 1:11 PM
Hi all. Well, another ERS game today. I don't every automatically give 5 stars to every game I review, guess I'm a bit picky. This one is a pretty nice game, actually. Graphics are the usual ERS, but without the blues and pinks (thank you!), which makes it a much nicer game to play and much easier on the eyes. Game play was very nice, no problems and filled my large screen. There is a jump map, but the picture locations are very small and do not identify where there might be something to do...only saw it once. Voice overs and animation are very well done and very realistic. Really like the music and the sound FX. Sort of puts you right into the game.

HOPs are the usual interactive and you can switch to a match game. Items are not difficult to find, but some do take a little thought. Did not care for the "heavy breath" sound you got every time you pick something up within the game. Got annoying very quickly. Puzzles were somewhat different, but also not difficult so far.

There are a lot of achievements. One of which is to find the ERS bunny logo. I accidentally found one during the demo. You need to take pictures in locations in order to open access to other characters. Each character requires more than one picture to activate. Collectibles are clocks, which I found a little difficult to find, as they morph, so be on the look out. I also discovered that if you don't find them while you are in the location, you can't go back and pick them up. This may be only for the demo, but was a bit odd. I only found 3 and I know there were more. They are various sizes, shapes and colors.

This game was not extremely challenging, except to find the clocks, but I like the story and the animation a lot, and it was challenging enough to keep me interested. I think this will pick up as I get further into the game. Opening scene was very well done and grabbed my attention right away. There is a lot to do in this game and it keeps you constantly on the move. I think this will appeal to all levels of players. As much as I dislike buying more CE games, I find the need to play this one out, so going to buy today.

As always, try it for yourself and see what you think. We all have different tastes in games and you may not care for this one at all. Thanks for the reviews.

thistle809
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,207 Posts

[Post New]by thistle809 on Jul 10, 14 1:39 PM
mst3kr wrote:ERS:

Expect Repetition Studios
Exceedingly Redundant Studios
Egregiously, Ridiculously Simple
Exceptionally Rotten Studios
Exhaustively Rhetoric Studios

Take your pick... I used to like ERS; now I'm plain sick of this dev. Every game is now the same: no challenge, cutesy animals, bland storylines, simplistic mini games, off-putting graphics, recycled music, etc, etc. And this game is absolutely no different.

Maybe if the dev spent more time on quality than quantity, they'd be able to put out games that were worth buying. Take a cue from Eipix or Elephant Games...

ERS? Hardly. Cookie-Cutter Studio is more like it.

Did you actually have a review of the game? Perhaps this might fit better in the "Comments" thread, if you did not simply forget to add your review.

Hespera
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,170 Posts

[Post New]by Hespera on Jul 10, 14 5:08 PM
There are always merits to demoing games. If we disregard games out of hand because of the developer, we are doing a disfavor to ourselves and the developer.

An established developer might have have a 'breakout' game that re-establishes them in a new genre or gives a new twist to an established genre and sets a new standard.

A new developer needs a break and is seeking the proverbial 'foot in the door'. Gamers are the only means they have of getting there.

In either case, it's up to us to let them know, in a professional manner, what's right or wrong with the game, as we see it.

Since each one of us is different, we have different expectations, so as a collective, our feedback can be invaluable.

Why not use the opportunity in a positive manner? It's one of those times when you can make a difference. Just saying....

steve_san
Clownfish
Clownfish
586 Posts

[Post New]by steve_san on Jul 10, 14 6:48 PM

A Matter Of (Wasted) Time

I suppose my title is a little too harsh. Why is it a waste of time? I didn't skip anything and I had 36 minutes left when I reached the end. This game is so easy, it makes the last few week's worth of games look like rocket science. You literally pick up an object and use it right away. Now, to their credit, the developers included an Easy and Hard setting for the puzzles. But perhaps more accurate would have been Easy and A Wee Bit Harder.

There is so much potential here. The characters are fairly interesting, the voice acting is very good, the artwork and animations are first class and the story is not too bad either. I was definitely drawn in to the story and the environments even though it's one of those where you are the ONLY ONE WHO CAN SAVE THE WORLD, etc. But still, I can't help feeling, with a few tweaks, this could have been a really great game instead of what it is - just an average one.

So this is a nice relaxing game you can play when you don't want to do too much thinking. Those kind of games certainly have their place. But there already are a lot of them out there. *sigh*

I will probably buy the standard edition when it comes out, it's only A Matter Of Time.

Edited on 07/24/2014 at 7:24:49 PM PST

[Post New]by mimicampdesert on Jul 11, 14 12:08 AM
Is it me? Maybe I expect too much. I know Dev's spend so much time and effort in creating these games, and appreciate that, but this one missed the mark. I have several ERS games and have enjoyed them. This one did not have my attention. I was hoping the game would have gotten better as I played, but sadly I could not even finish the demo. Liked the storyline, although I was confused at first. Liked the quick responsiveness (hate lagging games). Liked that ERS veered away from the purples, I see I am not alone on this topic. Did not mind the animal helper, and seemed appropriate. Morphing objects were difficult to find which I like. I did not care for the puzzles/mini games. Too simplistic and no thought. I don't care for this type HOG (old school). I like adventure gameplay myself and do not like to get bogged down with a few minute HOS. Dev's are not making these very often, so I play HOGs, but enjoy when the HOS is quick (1-2 minutes) or is interactive. I do not like that if you already have an item and click on the zoom in area, it drops back into my inventory only for me to pick it up again. Items used were linear and there was no real challenge to figure it out. I will not be purchasing the CE or SE when it is released.

Happy swimming and please be respectful of each other. This is supposed to be fun. Amirite???

On a separate note: Nilosh- I am very happy you are back and have missed your thoughtful and considerate reviews on games. I for one, along with many others in the pond miss seeing your accurate posts.

[Post New]by NancySusan on Jul 11, 14 10:31 AM
Some pretty strange comments in the forum today, Hmmm. As for the game, which I played to the end of the demo, I kind of liked. As the protagonist, we're playing as a woman, but in this instance, they've done a doppelganger kind of thing which depends on the player being a woman, so that was ok, but I would like to add that there are male players and sometimes even I am fine playing as a man, i.e., more balance would be nice so that everyone feels included. The devs. should think about that. The plot line where time has become unhinged is kind of fun. The HOP's weren't particularly difficult, and while I always skip some mini-games (I'm dyslexic and it really shows up in some of the memory work needed for some of the mini-games), I played most of the ones that came up. My computer has Nvidia GE Force, which has been massacring the color in a lot of games, but this game played with true color, which was great. I haven't decided if I will buy it right now, but I did like the morphing clocks, camera shots and I even found an ERS bunny in one scene. But really, it's the movement of the story that interested me the most, so if plot is something you like, I'd recommend at least demoing the game. With the new, longer demos, you can get a good sense of what the game is about.

[Post New]by boldeng23 on Jul 11, 14 5:03 PM
I pay for it did get it

Darklldo
Seahorse
Seahorse
24 Posts

[Post New]by Darklldo on Jul 12, 14 12:14 AM
I was going to say this is an alright game but it isn't It would help if it had a skip button but it doesn't and I feel I am being controlled.

IF there's a skip button I sure can't see it. Neither is there a walkthrough so I am stuck, stuck stuck.

No, not a good ERS

angelfish106
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,378 Posts

[Post New]by angelfish106 on Jul 12, 14 9:05 AM
Darklldo wrote:I was going to say this is an alright game but it isn't It would help if it had a skip button but it doesn't and I feel I am being controlled.

IF there's a skip button I sure can't see it. Neither is there a walkthrough so I am stuck, stuck stuck.

No, not a good ERS

Did you choose the hardest difficulty mode?? That might explain the lack of a skip button but there will be one on the other modes. It's possible that in custom mode you can actually turn the skip button off; not sure but you might want to check.

As for no walkthrough, every CE has a strategy guide included; there may not be one in the demo but there will be in the full game.

I liked this game because it wasn't like all the other ERS games.

[Post New]by daisyduck352 on Jul 12, 14 11:17 AM
Love the game and bought it right away. ERS always gets my attention as like the graphics, stories and puzzles. Give this 4 out of 5 stars..

bobbiejo2
Guppy
Guppy
186 Posts

[Post New]by bobbiejo2 on Jul 12, 14 12:16 PM
I really enjoyed the demo.
For those who had trouble finding the Strategy Guide, it is located next to the Hint button.

The game has the standard fare of other HOPAS such as achievements.
But what really drew me into the game is the story line.
It instantly grabbed my attention.

As always, try the demo and see if you like the game.

I highly recommend this game and will be purchasing the CE.
Kudos to ERS and BFG.

for me this is a 5 star game

ArmyMom88
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
19 Posts

[Post New]by ArmyMom88 on Jul 12, 14 11:29 PM
I liked the puzzles and don't usually get into the story much so I skip all the dialogue and scenes. Map was disappointing, I could use it to transport but it only showed a ! once in a while. Quite useless really. The achievements were weird. You could only look at them from the little drop-down window while playing. I couldn't find them anywhere on the menu. I found only 19 of the clocks and couldn't go back to locations where I needed to find one. What did they finally unlock in the Gate of Time screen? I didn't even see one for finding all the clocks. In the bonus game, every time I clicked on the little cell phone (or whatever that was) in the lower left corner to bring up the notes, map, etc., the game would lock up and I had to close it and go back in. Just gave up using that in bonus game since map wasn't really helpful. If not for the glitches, it would have been an OK puzzle game. Long play and interesting puzzles.

Go to: