snapnhiss
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,483 Posts

My anti-virus HATES this game

[Post New]by snapnhiss on Jul 12, 14 6:57 AM
Avast! lets me download but the game sets off all the alarms when I try to install it saying "Infection: Win 32 wPatch [Wrm]" and that it's been moved to "chest".

I have no idea how to override this and I'm not sure I'd want to although I sent in a false positive report.

Any ideas? I've never had this happen before.

ETA: Dr Felix and trouble ticket submitted. Just wondering if anyone has had this happen and if there's an easy fix.

Edited on 07/12/2014 at 7:13:41 AM PST

kjos
Squid
Squid
79 Posts

Re:My anti-virus HATES this game

[Post New]by kjos on Jul 12, 14 7:30 AM
I have the same trouble with my Avast anti-virus. I disabled it for a hour and it will play. But when I restart my pc the game won't run. Is there a virus in the game. thanks
Richard

Edited on 07/12/2014 at 8:02:50 AM PST

Howatch
Manatee
Manatee
3,952 Posts

[Post New]by Howatch on Jul 12, 14 9:00 AM
You would need to research this yourselves, but I believe there is a way to tell Avast that you wish to make an exception/exclusion for a particular file (in this instance, the game exe), which will force Avast to run the program in spite of the warning. Avast will then stop quarantining/warning you about the program, allowing the game to install/run. I believe you can find this somewhere in Avast's Shield settings.

snapnhiss
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,483 Posts

[Post New]by snapnhiss on Jul 12, 14 10:39 AM
I've had the option of choosing to download anyway in other situations but this time it's convinced this is a worm and won't let me override.

Thanks though.

Gisellesc60
Lobster
Lobster
83 Posts

[Post New]by Gisellesc60 on Jul 12, 14 11:24 AM
try running a boot scan I did and avast let me downloaded but now Its giving me that the game I purchased is a demo yet on my manager list it states activated.
I have never had a problem before

Kamali
Guppy
Guppy
173 Posts

[Post New]by Kamali on Jul 12, 14 12:27 PM
Howatch wrote:You would need to research this yourselves, but I believe there is a way to tell Avast that you wish to make an exception/exclusion for a particular file (in this instance, the game exe), which will force Avast to run the program in spite of the warning. Avast will then stop quarantining/warning you about the program, allowing the game to install/run. I believe you can find this somewhere in Avast's Shield settings.

I had to do that with a game called 'Zodiac Prophecies - The Serpent Bearer'. Here's what to do:

Open Avast, click 'Settings', a new Avast box will open.

Click 'Anitivirus', then scroll down past 'Reputation Services', 'Deepscreen', and 'Hardened Mode' to 'Exclusions'.

In Exclusions, on the 'File Paths' tab, click the 'Add' button, then click the 'Browse' button - a navigation box will open.

Navigate to the folder of the 'Dead Reckoning: Silvermoon Isle Collector's Edition' game (it should be inside one of the 'Program Files' folders) and put a tick in its box.

Click 'OK'

That folder will now be excluded from Avast's attentions.

Edited on 07/12/2014 at 12:28:17 PM PST

Howatch
Manatee
Manatee
3,952 Posts

[Post New]by Howatch on Jul 12, 14 12:31 PM
Thanks, Kamali; that's what I was trying to explain in my post above, but I did not provide specific directions. Hopefully someone with Avast will try this and see if the game will now install without problems.

Edited on 07/12/2014 at 12:33:04 PM PST

bfgWendwater
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,911 Posts

[Post New]by bfgWendwater on Jul 12, 14 12:35 PM
Hi All,

I'm very sorry to see there have been problems with certain anti-virus programs (specifically Avast) preventing the game from installing correctly.

Just so you know, we do guarantee all of our games to be virus and malware free. Sometimes security programs will block games from downloading unless they are given permission to do so and temporarily disabling security software while it installs, can often resolve issues like these.

Kamali has done a great job explaining how to put the game on the safe list for Avast. Thank you very much for your contribution!

If you need more troubleshooting help, please check out the help article in the link below:

Problems Downloading or Installation Failed

If these problems continue, please feel free to contact our Tech Support Team with a Dr. Felix Report. One of our Reps can troubleshoot this issue for you to figure out what's going on.

I hope this gets resolved quickly.

bfgWendwater

swedane
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
494 Posts

[Post New]by swedane on Jul 12, 14 1:25 PM
snapnhiss wrote:I've had the option of choosing to download anyway in other situations but this time it's convinced this is a worm and won't let me override.

Thanks though.
In my 7 years as a member, never "once," have I encountered a virus from them or any "Eipix" games. It's likely, what is called, a "false positive."

How to exclude a "false positive" from Avast:

1. Right-click the "Avast!" icon in the system tray of your screen and select "Open Avast! User Interface."

2. Click the "Real-time Shields" tab at the left side of the Avast! window and select the "File System Shield" under it.

3. Click the "Expert Settings" button.

4. Click "Exclusions" at the left side of the File System Shield Settings window that appears.

5. Click the "Add" button.

6. Click the "Browse" button, browse to the false positive file on your computer and double-click it.

7. Click the check box in the "X" column to the right of the file in the exclusions list to allow it to execute.

8. Click "OK" to save your settings.
---------------------
The Avast forum is a another helpful source! Good

[Post New]by kliqzangel on Jul 12, 14 2:10 PM
I just got the same thing & I have Avast also. I added it to my exceptions though and also sent a False positive report to Avast. So, hopefully it will get fixed on their end. Once I added it to my exceptions list it installed fine.

Edited on 07/12/2014 at 2:19:44 PM PST

snapnhiss
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,483 Posts

[Post New]by snapnhiss on Jul 12, 14 4:01 PM
Success! Thanks to everyone that posted in this thread, you were all a great help.

underwriter
Herring
Herring
356 Posts

[Post New]by underwriter on Jul 12, 14 9:23 PM
I did not have the left-menu option referenced by Swedane (I assume because I have the free version? It is up-to-date), so I had to use Kamali's instructions. They worked very smoothly, but I had to reboot since the Game Manager would not open (that might be because I have it set to always run as an administrator? Or that may have nothing to do with it). Once I did that, I got it installed and activated before I could even get to this page to post. I haven't tried playing it again yet, but it looks good. If I do have more problems I'll be back.

MANY THANKS to Kamali and Swedane !!! Put those fishies on the payroll!

[Post New]by Companion4ever on Jul 13, 14 9:13 AM
If you have already installed the game, chances are Avast has placed it into quarantine. I solved this by going into the quarantine box and white listing the executable.

graytori
Minnow
Minnow
215 Posts

[Post New]by graytori on Jul 13, 14 2:43 PM
I sent a false positive report to Avast yesterday and again today. I have already had to updates to Avast and still cannot install. Their wormy notification keeps coming up. I also have free Avast. Who is suppose to get this resolved? Can't Big Fish call Avast to clear up the problem. I am not a computer tech and won't change anything for fear I will mess up , even with directions. I don't understand why trial version installed and played ok and then after you buy and try to install all of a sudden there is a worm.

Please help Big Fish Techs

graytori
Minnow
Minnow
215 Posts

[Post New]by graytori on Jul 13, 14 4:45 PM
Companionforever: what do you mean by whitelisting in Avast quarantine?

Thank for your help if you are able to

snapnhiss
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,483 Posts

[Post New]by snapnhiss on Jul 13, 14 5:28 PM
graytori wrote:I sent a false positive report to Avast yesterday and again today. I have already had to updates to Avast and still cannot install. Their wormy notification keeps coming up. I also have free Avast. Who is suppose to get this resolved? Can't Big Fish call Avast to clear up the problem. I am not a computer tech and won't change anything for fear I will mess up , even with directions. I don't understand why trial version installed and played ok and then after you buy and try to install all of a sudden there is a worm.

Please help Big Fish Techs

I think the main offices of BFG are closed for the weekend but I suspect they'll be contacting avast! on Monday to get this straightened out. It looks like a very common problem.

SeaBamboo
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,158 Posts

[Post New]by SeaBamboo on Jul 14, 14 2:41 AM
I shut off my Avast to install but when I tried to play the game this morning it would not open.
So uninstalled & did as Kamali suggested and file now installing, thanks very much.

Would have sent a false positive to Avast but you have to say what the program name is and I have no idea what that means

[Post New]by Companion4ever on Jul 14, 14 4:19 AM
Graytori

Apologies - in my haste to help I forgot some fishies may not understand technical terms.

Whitelisting means tell anti-virus that a file is ok. Blacklisting means tell anti-virus something is not ok. In my version of Avast, go to Settings, Component Status, Items stored in Virus Chest.

Right Click on all instances of DeadReckoning - SilvermoonIsleCE.exe.
Click on Restore and Add to Exclusions.

Hope this helps you.

graytori
Minnow
Minnow
215 Posts

[Post New]by graytori on Jul 14, 14 6:59 AM
Companion4ever: I did what you wrote about and went to chest. I have 9 Dead Reckoning in my chest. I put first one in into exclusions. I also tried to do the second one and it says I have one already in exclusions, Do I want to overwrite the other? In otherwords do I have to do what your directions says to do, for each one and overwrite each one?

[Post New]by Companion4ever on Jul 14, 14 6:39 PM
Graytori,

You can overwrite all and it will work. I just tested on my machine. Also, instead of Settings you go to Statistics. It was early in the morning for me but looks like you figured that out. Hope you can game now.

Go to: