A thread for your reviews!

Edited on 07/14/2014 at 8:32:40 AM PST

belamba
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,058 Posts

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for The House on Usher here

[Post New]by belamba on Jul 14, 14 2:35 AM
This has to be one of the weirdest games ever! Couldn't understand what I had to do at first.
Quite cute, but all the bug finding along with cobwebs gets a bit tedious after a while.
Played the full trial hour, and still don't know if I like it or not.
The music gave me a headache but the worst is the tiny, tiny things you have to find to clean your house up and increase its value.
Really a strain on the eyes, even more so as the scenes are quite dark.

Strange word games too along the way, although mildly humorous.

Think you'll either love it or hate it. It is different which makes a change though.

[Post New]by miss_marigold11 on Jul 14, 14 2:56 AM
A waste of time to download and even try. No widescreen.....only 2 levels of difficulty...hazy badly colored scenes.....annoying cell phone to tell you what to do and not very well at that.. tiny impossible items to find....a bit hard to retrieve inventory items when needed....music isn't too bad.and that's only the first 5 minutes or so. Couldn't stand anymore. But that's just me, maybe it's someone's cup of tea.

LovetoMissLisa
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,823 Posts

[Post New]by LovetoMissLisa on Jul 14, 14 3:27 AM
I like this game ...except it has more bugs than a roach motel. I will definitely buy it...when they fix the slow cursor/and all the bugs it has. I think it's cute...and a unique kind of game.

Be sure to give it a try...it might work for some...but it does have problems....that need to be fixed forsure. But the 10,000 guestion is...Will fix the bugs? I hope so...but won't hold my breath...I want to live. But, I really like it.

Try it and see if it works for you...I sure hope so. I think it's has alot of cute and fun potential!!

Ammendment to my post: If your having a sluggish Cursor problem...un-check it...and it work's much better. I think this game it cute and alot of fun. Please give it a try at least. You never know what might tickle your fancy.

Don't always go buy what myself or other's say. Always try the game for yourself. I've also learned with more than 1000 games ...sometimes when you revisit a game at a different time...you might really like it...when you thought you didn't before. At least this has been my experience. Enjoy! I know I am!! Thank you to the Developers & !

Edited on 07/14/2014 at 7:55:33 AM PST

[Post New]by JustTheFacts on Jul 14, 14 3:37 AM
TOO HARD!***

BASED ON DEMO

At first, the game gives a good impression. It’s basic, but the graphics are dark but good. The sound effects and music are appropriate. The dialogue is amusing and easily understood (also skippable). But this iHOG, and it really is about the Hidden Object scenes, I never even found a puzzle before I had to give up playing, is just a bit too weird. Pity, it has some nifty ideas.

I really like the story for instance. As a new real estate agent, you are given the most tedious assignment! Spruce up this suburban deserted house and find out what drove the previous inhabitants to leave so abruptly that most of their stuff is still here, lying in HOP junk piles *giggle*. And I love the 60s feel of the place (or is it 70s?). I don’t like that we have to drag the inventory item to where it must be used, and that the inventory bar is not lockable.

However, I also like finding cobwebs and bugs in every location. We are here, after all, to clean up a deserted house for property inspections! So, in each location, close up shot and window, there is an indication of how many of these creepies there are and how many you’ve found. Although you know how many there are in a location, there is no hint for this element of the game. But even after completing a HOP, you can return to it to find remaining bugs. This is a fun idea. But having to exit using the back arrow, which is in the top left, from everything, HOP scene, locations, everything. That is not a fun idea. It’s just irritating.

About the HOPs. They are not only TOO HARD!!!, but weird as well. The graphics are quite dark, and seeing items is difficult. But worse, they are often very small, and very well integrated into the scene. The scenes are ‘busy’, and a small pink gun-like silhouette gets pretty much rendered invisible in a splotch of pink paint. As well, when you find an item, the word on the list is heightened with yellow, until the next item you find, when it will become shaded. Why this is so totally escapes me. I can see no point to it whatsoever.

I never did get to a puzzle. Or very far into the game, in the 30 minutes I gave it a shot. It is too hard for me, I admit it. For HOPA (as opposed to iHOG) fans, this game does not have much to offer. It is almost exclusively very hard HOP scenes, and not much of anything else.

But it is quirky, and cheeky, and if you are really, really good at HOPs, you might find this an interesting challenge.

[Post New]by hydrogibbon on Jul 14, 14 6:17 AM
This has to be one of the worst games ever offered on here. The cell phone is annoying and it's impossible to see the hidden objects. I'm using a 23 inch monitor and can't even imagine trying this on a laptop. I made it through the mailbox with a hint but gave up before I ever got inside the house. I'm looking for a glass of warm milk. I see a glass of milk but can't pick it up. I'm looking for a pretzel. I see a pretzel and can't pick it up but accidently click somewhere else and get a pretzel. If I click too many times the screen goes dark. This is absolutely a no buy for me.

goldendog08
Guppy
Guppy
193 Posts

[Post New]by goldendog08 on Jul 14, 14 7:56 AM
Many, many months go by between game releases that are light hearted and humorous. Examples of my all time favorites are The Scruff games, Sprill, Steve the Sheriff, City of Fools, and the Mishap games. They might be simplistic but I don't want to read Edgar Allen Poe every night...sometimes I like Disney stories.

That being said, the description of this game had me pounce all over it. Sorry to say this production fails. As JustTheFacts and others have said, it's way too hard!!

Holy Aphids Batman!! These hidden objects really are no bigger than the real bug, even on my 23" monitor. I played screen after screen and could never find all of the cobwebs and insects--never once. They are microscopic whispers on your screen. Whether the mirror scene in the hallway or the early on screens in the yard, I could not find all of these items...and there is a penalty for over clicking, an short grey screen freeze although I think I might have been losing money also. But from the first scene on I would get face into screen and could not clearly see the sought after cobwebs, bugs, or hidden object list.

bfgVaiya
Salmon
Salmon
2,557 Posts

[Post New]by bfgVaiya on Jul 14, 14 8:32 AM
Hello Everyone,

Welcome to the reviews thread! Please feel free to post your thoughts and feedback on The House on Usher here. We appreciate the time you take to put your reviews together, and I know other gamers and the developers do as well. We just have a few guidelines to keep in mind when posting. Our goal with these is to keep the thread tidy, easy to navigate and helpful.

Review Guidelines

1) Be sure to keep your reviews on-topic. Reviews in this thread should only be commenting on The House on Usher.
2) Be respectful of the reviewers. Please keep in mind our Forum Rules and be respectful of our reviewers. They take the time to post here to be helpful. Please do not review the reviews of others.
3) Do not respond to someone else’s reviews with questions or comments If you have any feedback about a review, or you feel that a review contains incorrect details about the game, please contact the poster directly via PM.
4) Do not review developers. While we do appreciate your feedback, we’d ask that you keep your posts in this thread dedicated to the specific game at hand.

*Moderators will be removing any content in this thread that is not a review.

If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to PM one of our Moderators.

bfgVaiya

NANA5LOVE
Clownfish
Clownfish
529 Posts

[Post New]by NANA5LOVE on Jul 14, 14 9:06 AM
It's Monday what do you expect??? We never get any good games on Mondays,
Even the $2.99 games are crap

[Post New]by Old_Man_River on Jul 14, 14 9:33 AM
I have to agree with the majority. One of the worst games ever to be foisted on BF fishies. The Music is obnoxious, the cell phone has to be skipped when it is finished or it just sits there, Hidden objects are impossible, and to top it off, there is a click penalty. The sad part is I like humorous games and would have bought it if at least playable. I can chease catterpillars and clean cob webs with out needing a computer game. Definate No Buy fom me

Daxadillion
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,292 Posts

[Post New]by Daxadillion on Jul 14, 14 10:48 AM
I like this game, but in saying that I might not have paid £s for it, as I bought it with a game credit that was about to expire, and I do understand the 'haters' of this game, especially the mobile phone messages - which thankfully tail off after about 20 minutes.

How many times have you read a review for a game you like, written by someone who gives it only a one star rating and says things like "same old thing", well this game is definitely not the same old thing.

Yes some of the items to find are tiny but I have managed to find all but 2 bugs or cobwebs, so I am biding my time until the weekend when 2 young grandsons arrive as they love HOS's - for me they (the grandsons) are an absolute 'must' when looking for really tiny objects.

As for the 'croissant wrench' or the 'cheese moon', look for something that's the same colour as the word in capital letters, and the silhouette of what you're looking for is etched on it, albeit quite feint.

I 100%agree with JTF about the unlockable inventory and dragging the object to where it needs to go but my biggest bug-bear is that there's no directional arrow just the back button, thankfully that all changed once I had found the map.

Another example of the devs not being the 'same old thing' is the "glass of warm milk" that hydrogibbon complained about - again it is the devs putting a different twist to the game. The glass of milk you need to pick up is on the window cill inside the house and not the glass of milk in the garden because that's not warm milk because it's colder outside.

I am off to resume playing the game now and trying to get past the junk pile in the hallway. Any tip from anyone on that would be appreciated.

dancemom1
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,198 Posts

[Post New]by dancemom1 on Jul 14, 14 10:51 AM
Hi all. Well, what can I say about this game today? First of all, no Realtor "cleans" a house! Graphics are very cartoon like and extremely old school. Colors are very dark. Game play was okay, no problems. Music was fun. Voice overs were a little over the top, somewhat cheesy, and there was a lot of voice mail back and forth. The only way I could get rid of the phone was to click on the skip button, no "X" out on that one. There is a map, but it only shows the outline of the home, not rooms. Maybe they show up later in the game. Inventory bar does not lock and there is a click penalty of a darkened screen for a few seconds.

You had to find a certain number of cobwebs and bugs in each and every scene and each scene was different. Cobwebs were extremely light and hard to see and the bugs were extremely small and very hard to see. HOPs were quite simple and the cobwebs and bugs were also to be found there as well. Didn't run across any puzzles or games, but only lasted 30 minutes. I got as far as in the house and up the stairs before quitting. Even with my glasses on, I had to squint to see things and it wasn't worth a headache to keep going.

I guess I have higher expectations of games than some people, so I don't automatically give a high rating, and I seldom do not recommend a game for one reason or another. That being said, I do not recommend this one to even a beginner, for all the reasons listed above.

As always, try it for yourself and see what you think. We all have different tastes in games and you may find this one to be exactly what you are looking for today. Thanks for the reviews.

(edited for spelling error)

Edited on 07/14/2014 at 10:53:51 AM PST

VTCT
Clownfish
Clownfish
591 Posts

[Post New]by VTCT on Jul 14, 14 12:35 PM
Like story line but not how it is played. The items are small to find. Light isn't done well either, no buy!! Two Stars

mtvoyager
Herring
Herring
318 Posts

[Post New]by mtvoyager on Jul 14, 14 2:15 PM
It was kinda buggy in evry sense of the word. Too bad cause I hate those dark occultish games.

[Post New]by Anna_Allison on Jul 14, 14 2:32 PM
Yup, really an unsatisfying experience. Bugs are way to small. I didn't make it through the first hog and I usually make it through games without a hint. Quit within 5 minutes.

steve_san
Clownfish
Clownfish
586 Posts

[Post New]by steve_san on Jul 14, 14 4:57 PM

For Sale: House on Usher
Price: Your Eyesight

I felt compelled to review this game because I have been disappointed with the level of challenge lately provided by the average game.

To be sure, this game provides a challenge - unfortunately it is to your eyes, not your brain. There is some thought required to decipher the names of some of the objects, but mostly it is reminiscent of artwork of five years ago - drab, blurry and flat.

Too bad, because the game itself was interesting and kind of fun once you get into the spirit of it. I could do without the pink and flowery cell phone, but the concept of fixing up a dilapidated house, ceilings collapsing around you, finding unexpected things everywhere, with a demanding boss constantly hassling you and expecting miracles was fairly amusing.

With some determination, I managed to find all the cobwebs and bugs in all but one scene during the trial time (yes, I played to the end - do I get a prize for that? ).

All the while I felt I was playing something someone found in an old house on Usher and decided to release. Send this one back to the development team to fix up. I'll pass on the House, and keep my eyesight.

Edited on 07/14/2014 at 4:57:58 PM PST

Valkara
Herring
Herring
341 Posts

[Post New]by Valkara on Jul 14, 14 10:08 PM
This game is even worse than Design This Home, and that's saying something.

Annoying music, annoying voices, non-intuitive interface... no sale.

[Post New]by redaphid on Jul 16, 14 12:21 PM
Hello Big Fisher’s

We appreciate the feedback and get that for some of you the House on Usher won’t be game of the year. We hope, though, you keep in mind that we are a small studio of part-timers and this is our first commercial outing. We feel Big Fish deserves some credit for taking a chance on a project which is essentially a respectful parody(kinda like Weird Al Yankovic) of the hidden object/adventure genre, which we don’t think has been attempted before.

There’s been some missteps, however, as some of you have pointed out rather pointedly and we are working feverishly to fix the most egregious ones, though there will still be plenty of bugs (especially mauve).

Keep in touch,

Brian Judy
Red Aphid

Daxadillion
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,292 Posts

I Love This Game

[Post New]by Daxadillion on Jul 16, 14 1:42 PM
This game is Marmite - you either love it or hate it - I loved it, once I understood where it was coming from and where it was going.

The challenge was excellent.

Totally different from any other game, so it can never be called "a same old, same old thing", i.e. finding croissant wrenches!! Have you ever been asked that before?

Horribly confusing - which gets you thinking about it a lot more.

Minimal help so if you want to complete this game you really have to think outside of the box, and well outside of the box.

Based on the reviews most of you who are reading this will think I am a bit of a nutter but I completed the game and am eagerly waiting for the next one.

sartasia
Stingray
Stingray
4,581 Posts

[Post New]by sartasia on Jul 17, 14 6:11 PM
Swimming against the tide here I suppose. I found this game quite a refreshing change from the mind numbingly simple H0S that the genre has devolved into. The clues were imaginative and humorous. The story line was light and off center with clues subtly given. I do agree that some lighter scenes were needed a few times. And being able to move directionally would have been preferable to clicking an arrow. Some of the bugs were beyond me to find but that is part of what made this enjoyable to me...the challenge. Something that doesn't occur with much frequency anymore. The game was short and I did find the ending a tad abrupt. But that being said...
Kudos to the devs for attempting something fresh. Good first try!! I look forward to the next offering.

Try before you buy.

Go to: