ChestnutHeights
Salmon
Salmon
2,542 Posts

Shelf Life of Midnight Castle

[Post New]by ChestnutHeights on Jul 14, 14 6:16 AM
I don't normally post here but I've seen quite a few posts with people leaving the game. Some of those who were once heavy users of the forums I haven't seen posting in long while.

The reasons have been game fatigue and frustration.

My question is what is the shelf life of Midnight Castle? Is it 2 updates, 3?

A new player today, would have a much different experience than one who has been playing quite a while. Newer players wouldn't have to endure the bow figure quests and would have continual play for 31 levels.

Those who've been around a while spend the time in between updates replenishing supplies. This often leads to HOS fatigue and perhaps moving up levels a little too quickly. The challenge goes away.

But, this is the nature of these Free to Play games (at least so far). Are games with continual updates and wait times a good idea?

I guess with a steady stream of new players they can succeed.. but is there any longevity once you catch up and face what some longer playing players have to endure?

Amerzone
Clownfish
Clownfish
930 Posts

Re:Shelf Life of Midnight Castle

[Post New]by Amerzone on Jul 14, 14 7:44 AM
Very well said.

I think that just about anything in life (except chocolate) can become tedious and a chore if it's overdone. This game immerses us so completely that it takes a while to come up for air. Once you realize that 3 months have gone by and there are missing persons reports out for you, you take a step back from the game. One more round of HOPs seems impossible. I'm in that place right now. I still spend way too much time on this game but I'm trying to make a break from it.

I think I may be in the minority but I miss the old bow figurine. That was my favorite time while playing the game. There was a commarderee (sp) between the friends. People went out of their way to gift hard to acquire items or have contests to give them away. The forum was full of helpful people. I tried to give back by making night orchids (which we needed bookoo (sp) of, crafty leprechauns and such. I enjoyed telling people to put them on their lists and then making them for them. We PM'd back and forth.

The bow figure was over the top hard. The developers could have taken the duplicates out of it and it still would have been a challenge but not ridiculous. Now Six Paws, the pirate standard and bow are so simple I yawn when I get to them. In this new update we needed a Spawn of Light, and I thought 'oh boy, good', but then I see it's just a couple of items to make it. Oh well. Now my only goal while playing is to reach the end of the update as quickly as possible. I have no desire and no need to go out of my way to help out other players by making crafted items for them. It's the lack of desire that bothers me the most. I think the flame is going out.

TiramaSue
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,953 Posts

Shelf Life of Midnight Castle

[Post New]by TiramaSue on Jul 14, 14 7:51 AM
ChestnutHeights wrote:I don't normally post here but I've seen quite a few posts with people leaving the game. Some of those who were once heavy users of the forums I haven't seen posting in long while.

The reasons have been game fatigue and frustration.

My question is what is the shelf life of Midnight Castle? Is it 2 updates, 3?

A new player today, would have a much different experience than one who has been playing quite a while. Newer players wouldn't have to endure the bow figure quests and would have continual play for 31 levels.

Those who've been around a while spend the time in between updates replenishing supplies. This often leads to HOS fatigue and perhaps moving up levels a little too quickly. The challenge goes away.

But, this is the nature of these Free to Play games (at least so far). Are games with continual updates and wait times a good idea?

I guess with a steady stream of new players they can succeed.. but is there any longevity once you catch up and face what some longer playing players have to endure?

One solution is for people to pace themselves and/or play other games between updates.

I 'hit the wall' a couple hours before the update. I've decided to limit my play, not race through the quests and not do the complete circuit of all the hidden object scenes.

Just spin the wheel, play dice, send 1 maybe 2 airships per day, send gifts, click on flowers if I see them, just play the HO scenes for the quest that is open and if I feel like it, play another 6-8. Then log off. Not sure how many times I'll check in and repeat the routine.

I've got eggs that need to be crafted, I'm low on coins, I'm eager to see how the story unfolds, but it will all be there tomorrow, and the day after, and the day after that. It all doesn't NEED to be completed NOW.

TiramaSue
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,953 Posts

[Post New]by TiramaSue on Jul 14, 14 7:58 AM
Amerzone wrote:

I think I may be in the minority but I miss the old bow figurine.

I miss it too. It was a bench mark. If you said you were working on your 4th bow figurine, everybody immediately knew where you were in the game.

Now there are no defining milestones, other than new characters being introduced or old characters changing, but mentioning that character A has now become whatever spoils things for players who haven't reached that point.

guppies56
Clownfish
Clownfish
798 Posts

[Post New]by guppies56 on Jul 14, 14 7:59 AM
I hear what you're saying Amerzone, I have a sneaky feeling that the last two updates were just to placate the players, if they had been intended as 'the' updates I think the two locked areas would have come into play.
My thoughts are those two locked areas may hold a wee bit of a challenge, something akin with the Bow, which was a challenge (to say the very least), but not as tedious as to make you go round and round in circles so many times needlessly, which felt as though you were being forced to do one HOS repeatedly with no reprieve of another in sight.
I also agree with the camararderie, it was a lovely forum with everybody trying to help others, literally feeling the others pain and frustration

mammaw_1
Starfish
Starfish
42 Posts

[Post New]by mammaw_1 on Jul 14, 14 8:02 AM
Not sure about other burnt out players but I have grown tired of the ridiculous wait times to complete quests. The game offers many HOS yet the majority of the quests require objects found in the same HOS over and over and over again! Using the objects I obtain from other HOS is a rare treat, which leaves me wondering why I even bother collecting them at all.

I have been told the game gets better because you get more HOS scenes as you level up. Oh joy! More relatively useless HOS to search repetitively while I wait an hour for the HOS that I need to actually accomplish a goal. What fun.

I found Awakening Kingdoms far more enjoyable--until the developers went stark raving mad and jacked up the experience points to outrageous amounts. (Energy points for obtaining my next level skyrocketed from about 63,000 to over 233,000!) Thus ending the pleasure of playing that game as well.

Frankly I would rather invest my time (and money) in games that at least give you the satisfaction of being able to achieve a goal without forcing you to spend hours playing the same HOS over and over and over again while waiting for the opportunity to do so.

rosiebvt
Manatee
Manatee
4,210 Posts

[Post New]by rosiebvt on Jul 14, 14 8:14 AM
Good comments. I think the earliest players, from last December, have had the worst experience with the game in a lot of ways. They have had to debug every release, play the original HOS thousands of times, and generally learn everything from scratch. Plus, as I noticed when I started, the game is so addictive that at the beginning you tend to play every spare minute you have. This adds up to a lot of stress on the eyes, the hands, and the brain . As you pointed out, some of the changes, eg bow figurine, have made the game a different experience for the newer players. I believe there is a burnout period that will be different for each player. It depends on how much time you spend on the game, whether you try to speed through or relax, and if you do the extras, daily quests and achievements and such. The more intense a player you are, I believe, the faster the burnout.

So, what can be done about it? Take breaks, slow down, try different ways to do the HOS (alphabetical order, etc). The devs need to make some changes too. We all complained about the bow figurine, but they overcorrected badly on that one. It was an accomplishment to finish one of them, you felt GOOD about it. It was murderous trying to do 12 in a row. Now, there is nothing to do that compares. We need more challenge now, and haven't seen it included in the last few updates. We need the old bow figurine, cauldron, and some of the other multilevel crafting items back but judiciously placed so you're not constantly getting nowhere. That will also slow down the speed of progressing through the levels which will limit the complaints about needing new content. Once a game has no challenge, you get bored, and boredom will kill any interest in continuing. That's the biggest thing I can see to fix the game experience.
Rose
ETA: I started this when there was only the original post, but DH started talking.... . Sorry to be repetitive.

Edited on 07/14/2014 at 8:18:13 AM PST

[Post New]by WolfenRaindancer on Jul 14, 14 9:30 AM
Rosie, you nailed it. I posted, a few days ago, in a different thread about some of these issues. If "they" want this game to continue being a draw, then they need to really listen up. That "overcorrection" just proved to me that they weren't really listening us. Oh yeah, they heard that we didn't like the bow figurine and six paws...instead of the real complaint about it being over done, run into the ground, etc. This is such a beautiful game...it is a shame that it isn't living up to the potential. We do want challenges, and variety. Not pablum. Give us interesting, and we will spend our bucks on it.

The ongoing tedium of playing one hos after another, over and over again, only to be disappointed that you are not able to progress due to one show stopper...make that expensive stamps...is such that when you do move, it is so dumbed down that the fun is gone. Lovely scenes and interesting items are nice to look at, but you have to have fun in the game play, too. I have found that when it seems like just another chore, it is time to take a break from it all. And it really is ok to do that, especially with what they done to the game. Miss a daily quest and it isn't any great loss since you don't get really get much for doing them. So walk away for a while, we will still be here when you come back, refreshed and ready to play again. Hopefully, some one on the devs team will start listening and actually improve the game.

Liz

[Post New]by whitebutterfly54 on Jul 14, 14 12:21 PM
Contains Possible Spoiler

Boredom and tediousness with the game is part of it. The endless merry-go-round HO scenes can drive the sanest among us stark raving mad after awhile. I can't say I miss the old bow figurine totally, but an excellent argument has been made by those posting above that may make me rethink that opinion. The subjective policing of the forum bothered me a great deal too. Then there's the latest release of new content. I want to be careful not to spoil the game for new players, but the newest edition is less than stellar IMO. Part of the charm of this game, for me, was the idea of a detective story, mixed with a little passion among characters and a dash of fantasy. All this set against the backdrop of a dark, eerie castle. What has happened to the storyline? The previous addition was questionable, but this latest one is ridiculous. It looks cartoony to me and certainly does not bare any resemblance whatsoever to the original game. Yes, the graphics are still pretty. But that simply isn't enough to hold my attention.

Don't know where I go from here...haven't decided yet.

derbyteam
Minnow
Minnow
224 Posts

[Post New]by derbyteam on Jul 14, 14 1:07 PM
Before this last update the one before that took but a minute, I only played one or two times a day spin the wheel ,dice, send the ship. Why do you ask because when ever you do the HOS you only get anything good one out of 5 times I played so I waited till the updates then I know I will get what I want and then the game does not get so boring for me. I will say I did start out with a lot of money and it took a lot this time around but I am having a lot better time this way. My only complain so far is like before every thing comes from the same HOS over and over again.

Amerzone
Clownfish
Clownfish
930 Posts

[Post New]by Amerzone on Jul 14, 14 2:49 PM
It's best to always remember that this game is designed to try and encourage you to spend money to move along. If we take this into consideration then some of these frustrating quirks in the game won't bother us as much. It's part of a business.

Everything coming from the same few HOS will make some people purchase coins or diamonds so that they don't have to wait. There is nothing wrong with this. This is how they make their money. For those not spending money it just takes longer to get an end result.

Just as a note, I took a week to do the update before this one. I was amazed that some people flew through it.

drew248
Clownfish
Clownfish
870 Posts

[Post New]by drew248 on Jul 14, 14 3:34 PM
Amerzone --HI

You Said
There was a commarderee (sp) between the friends. People went out of their way to gift hard to acquire items or have contests to give them away. The forum was full of helpful people.

Don't Forget the " Gripe & Grumble" Sessions With Bent Humor Too !
AAHH --"The Good Olde Daze" LOl

Good Questing
(HopeFully )

[Post New]by tigress1_2u on Jul 14, 14 4:03 PM
As one of the original ...Trail Blazers to MC. I can say that Amerzone is correct. About the constant help that we all got and gave to get us through the different levels of the dreaded Six Paws and the Bow Figurine to old and new friends ...It was a tough go and I miss it as well. Mind you a less of the having to go there, would have been perfectly fine for me! We may have complained while having to go there again and again but it was fun!
If one of our friends hit a pay day on the wheel ..We shared with each other and tried to get more for others as well!
If friends needed more coinage we would pitch in and gift them items that they could sell to have more to get though levels or win more items on the wheel.
I for one would like to see a little more challenge put back into the game.The updates would take longer to do and we could have the commodore that we once had!

Amerzone
Clownfish
Clownfish
930 Posts

[Post New]by Amerzone on Jul 14, 14 5:20 PM
Exactly Drew and Tigress. Just so sad that they made us do so many bow figurines and then inbetween we had to do parts of the bow figurine. I'm not sure what sadist thought that up. If they removed the Hymn of Dawn and Spawn of Night from the bow figurine request it would have been just right and doable. Instead they made it so simple that it's not even note worthy.

The only part of the game that still has the tiniest bit of challenge is the male statue by the Keeper of Wishes and the Sign of Rocky Throne. Everything else is milk and toast.

AnnaDownes01
Flounder
Flounder
2,175 Posts

[Post New]by AnnaDownes01 on Jul 14, 14 5:45 PM
There are other FTP games that I play that are much more annoying than this.

They take two days to reach full energy levels, cost in some HOS 200+ energy to open, which does not give much playing time, abound with mini games that it is almost impossible to get the resources for without visiting the same scene 50 times.

On one I have 22 challenges/quests, some of them 3 parts, all needing the same resource, The cost of energy in the games is expensive & updating all the buildings cost a small fortune.

In my opinion, Midnight Castle gives me the best value.

Like many others I endured the great lock out, part of the bow figurine and the other hassles.

I love the friendships I have made through the game & look forward to many more

It is a pain to do the same HOS again & again, but it is much more rewarding than the other games I play.

I am actually playing four games of Castle at different level.

Just my thoughts

Trixie Belle

sandy510
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
479 Posts

[Post New]by sandy510 on Jul 15, 14 10:03 AM
I was just a wondering if people stop gifting since they reached the achievement, I know I reached the achievement but I still gift, since I know what a relief it is to know I only need one of a two or three part area.

Buffysue
Guppy
Guppy
104 Posts

[Post New]by Buffysue on Jul 15, 14 1:21 PM
Hi all, I've been playing since March but only found this forum in June!
I love reading all of the posts and have learned so much...even a day late and a dollar short lol!
I have 4 new friends that I found on this forum and gift each every day, but I don't gift john anymore, reserving gifts for real people. I also receive gifts everyday, thanks to Chipie who is the most reciprocal!
I haven't posted much because I just didn't think I have had too much to add, but you all are so wonderful that I just might...once in a while!

silver_hawk
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,532 Posts

[Post New]by silver_hawk on Jul 15, 14 1:31 PM
Buffysue wrote:
I haven't posted much because I just didn't think I have had too much to add, but you all are so wonderful that I just might...once in a while!

Welcome to the Forum Buffysue. Feel free to post and reply anytime. I don't know what level you're on right now, but I'm sure you have plenty to contribute to the forum. See a question and if you can answer it or have an opinion then post an answer. Start a new thread if you have questions of your own. Every question is a good question.

You will soon be surprised on how many friends you can make here from all over the world. Many players also communicate frequently using Private Messages (PM's).

Don't be shy we don't bite.

Silver Hawk

Buffysue
Guppy
Guppy
104 Posts

[Post New]by Buffysue on Jul 15, 14 3:20 PM
Thank you Silver Hawk for your warm kind words, I'll be seeing all y'all here on the forum! Ps, I'm at level 29 on iPad. LOVING tis game!

Edited on 07/16/2014 at 6:21:06 AM PST

rosiebvt
Manatee
Manatee
4,210 Posts

[Post New]by rosiebvt on Jul 15, 14 4:13 PM
silver_hawk wrote:
Don't be shy we don't bite.

Silver Hawk

Well, most of us don't bite anyway! Occasionally we might just take a little nibble though .

Go to: